Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Randalor posted:

Well, I don't know about specific examples, but former co-workers have come forward calling her abusive and manipulative, and then there was the whole "accusing LegalEagle of plagiarism and not issuing a public apology (dunno when she took down the original accusation) until a week after she privately apologized to them" stuff. Plus various allegations of her being a racist, protecting pedophiles, possibly having CP, but those are all second- and third-hand statements, I can just find people saying she was accused of those, but not the actual accusations with a quick search.

And your source for Thoughtslime starting to use female pronouns? Or is it just that they once talked to a person who was accused of all those things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

And your source for Thoughtslime starting to use female pronouns? Or is it just that they once talked to a person who was accused of all those things?

Oh, I was referring to Illuminaughti, no idea about the stuff said about Thought Slime. I just wasn't a fan of his videos after a joke in one of his videos rubbed me the wrong way.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Sorry yeah, I think Illuminaughtii's bullshit is well documented at this point, it was stuff like "Thoughtslime is accusing people of starting sex cults" that I thought needed sourcing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I thought you were asking why illuminaughti was bad enough that "guilt by association" was bad enough to stop watching someone. In my defense, I hadn't had caffeine yet and was still in the process of actually waking up. But yeah, if someone is still friends with her after all that broke, at the very least I would be a tad wary around them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kerbtree posted:

Thoughtslime is/was friends with illuminaughtii and has generally gone right off the deep end, including accusing people of running sex cults.

what are you, a Vaush fan?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

buglord posted:

He’s a cool dude and I like his videos. I just can’t stand how he ends all his videos with a weird quick final run on sentence and then lets the last word hannngggggggggggg.

It’s such a weird hang up I have but it breaks me out of the zone every single time.
..... in which we liiiiiiiiiiiiiiive

I can respect that, but I'm usually out or turning it off before it gets that far.

He seems to be plugging the same book for years at the end of his vids. Never read anything of his but you can tell where he spends his time now as he is fairly prolific on youtube.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

slidebite posted:

..... in which we liiiiiiiiiiiiiiive

I can respect that, but I'm usually out or turning it off before it gets that far.

he does it because (enough) people like it. Vinegar Wing is on the Right and all that

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I found a new channel, I think you would also like it.

https://www.youtube.com/@JanusCycle

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

He's not a techtuber, but I haven't found anything better for falling asleep to than TheDuelLogs, provided you don't know enough about YuGiOh for the words to make any sense. https://www.youtube.com/@TheDuelLogs

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

He's not a techtuber, but I haven't found anything better for falling asleep to than TheDuelLogs, provided you don't know enough about YuGiOh for the words to make any sense. https://www.youtube.com/@TheDuelLogs

That's the same dude that does the easy WoW videos (Hirumaredx IIRC) right? Definitely nice for chill background noise stuff, but his WoW videos grated one me after a point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I tried that for some time with 40K painting videos but even though I hate Warhammer and all of my attempts at getting into TT have been abortive and boring as poo poo, I still found myself too invested in the final product to reasonably try sleeping to them

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Snackmar posted:

It's really awful because although YouTube is worth enough to me that I pay for it, making adblocking difficult for folks who can't/won't pay is going to increase the spread of malware.

Like if I wasn't paying, it's not a big deal for me to follow the latest technical updates or explore third-party DNS or run a Pi-hole or self-hosted VPN options for our mobile phones.. But any normal user who has an adblocking tool because the computer toucher in their family convinced them to install it is just gonna loving remove it completely. No regular person is going to have time for allowlisting a site, which means they are going to see ads everywhere, which means malware.

loving hell, it's worse than I thought:

https://www.wired.com/story/youtubes-ad-blocker-crackdown-spurs-record-uninstalls/

quote:

Previously unreported figures from ad blocking companies indicate that YouTube’s crackdown is working, with hundreds of thousands of people uninstalling ad blockers in October. The available data suggests that last month saw a record number of ad blockers uninstalled—and also a record for new ad blocker installs as people sought alternatives that wouldn’t trigger YouTube’s dreaded pop-up.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

And then the rest of the story is that the same number of new installs were happening and that overall numbers were relatively flat. So it was all people switching which adblocker extension they were using, or switching browsers entirely, as they looked for one that blocked ads without triggering the popup.

To me that is Google losing -- rather than provoke people into watching a 30 second ad, they provoked them to waste 5 to 10 minutes trying to fix their adblock.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Klyith posted:

And then the rest of the story is that the same number of new installs were happening and that overall numbers were relatively flat. So it was all people switching which adblocker extension they were using, or switching browsers entirely, as they looked for one that blocked ads without triggering the popup.

To me that is Google losing -- rather than provoke people into watching a 30 second ad, they provoked them to waste 5 to 10 minutes trying to fix their adblock.

Yeah but that doesn't make a catchy headline now does it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Serperoth posted:

That's the same dude that does the easy WoW videos (Hirumaredx IIRC) right? Definitely nice for chill background noise stuff, but his WoW videos grated one me after a point.

Yeah. I don't recommend actually watching his videos, they're mass produced top 10 lists (though he does seem to really have an encyclopedic knowledge of yugioh), his voice and cadence just make for some premium white noise.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yeah. I don't recommend actually watching his videos, they're mass produced top 10 lists (though he does seem to really have an encyclopedic knowledge of yugioh), his voice and cadence just make for some premium white noise.

Some of them are interesting, mostly the failed mechanics ones, but the duel logs duel logs is where it's at for things like "summoning Nibiru three times in one match" or "a 37 minute combo"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey now, he also talks about why archetypes failed. And then he has a gameplay channel where he sounds like the gooniest goon while playing the trolliest decks, so, y'know. Fess up, which one of you is he?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Klyith posted:

Shoot, you're right - I posted before reading the whole article. It surprises me that so many are willing to explore an alternative, but I still worry that Google will win by keeping up a cat and mouse game until people give up. (I mean it's also possible that Google could lose interest tomorrow and stop, but who knows)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
oh hell yeah websites are back

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1720821638520770931

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

somebody tell Jeffrey

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

somebody tell Jeffrey

someone who's not a goon actually linked me a front page article recently and it was like looking at a museum

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...

I would love for them to take this a step further and release the stack / modifications they are using to the public so that others could follow in their footsteps of bringing websites back. I know I would be much more inclined to write tech articles and do full write-ups if I didn't have to custom piece together a bunch of janky web technology stacks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I get these weird bursts of the youtube nag popups but after I click the x on a few of them they stop hassling me. Still less annoying than the ads!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

VictualSquid posted:

They came out as non-binary at some point, started using the name Mildred and any/all pronouns.

https://youtu.be/fPWkkP3LtEk?si=sSzn_dYP9bMNodbg

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Kerbtree posted:

They came out as non-binary at some point, started using the name Mildred and any/all pronouns.

https://youtu.be/fPWkkP3LtEk?si=sSzn_dYP9bMNodbg

I think randalor was talking about illuminaughtii, the whole conversation there got snarled up and at cross purposes for a bit

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
uBlock Plus used to work, but it seems not anymore. Hopefully it or ABP get updated soonish.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Posts Only Secrets posted:

I would love for them to take this a step further and release the stack / modifications they are using to the public so that others could follow in their footsteps of bringing websites back. I know I would be much more inclined to write tech articles and do full write-ups if I didn't have to custom piece together a bunch of janky web technology stacks.
it was made by a turbo linux nerd so i'm sure it would be something horribly complicated

in theory, there isn't a good overlap of straightforward cms and customization tools; either you use a hosted service with a custom domain (ghost), or you slap something together with static blogging like jekyll/octopress/etc, last of which is a particular mess for contributors above 1

the best thing we have now is basically just a newsletter service, since it's super easy to distribute or syndicate, but it doesn't allow for js customization like nvidia's icat image comparison

platform federation means we might get more options in the future where certain services can add your updates to their feeds and such, but at the same time, it's probably not going to be easy to set up for the average person, unless they use tumblr or a wordpress plugin that has six memory leaks and 84 vulnerabilities

kliras fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 9, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

uBlock Plus used to work, but it seems not anymore. Hopefully it or ABP get updated soonish.
uBlock Origin is the not-hosed version of the add-on, everything else is probably a fork that's got some weirdness.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Websites are back but still so subordinate to Youtube that they're not publishing written reviews until a week after the video version. Weak poo poo.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

njsykora posted:

Websites are back but still so subordinate to Youtube that they're not publishing written reviews until a week after the video version. Weak poo poo.

It's nice to have a fallback position if YT goes totally off the deep end. :shrug:

Like if this place goes, what's my choice... Reddit? :suicide:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Posts Only Secrets posted:

Let me introduce you to the web stack to bring websites back

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

njsykora posted:

they are subordinate to being able to pay your bills and making a living, especially with it being a free website

let's not pretend everyone here doesn't regularly screenshot the videos without attribution without giving them a cent

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s true I’m a screenshotting pirating fiend

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

The only people who will care about the one week delay are the enthusiasts who were probably going to watch the videos anyway. The average person building a PC doesn't even know when parts launch to care that the website isn't updated yet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I just think it's lame to make a big fuss about how you're bringing back websites and then say it's just functionally going to be a chart archive and not actually an alternative for people who want to read a time sensitive pre-launch hardware review instead of watching it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

njsykora posted:

time sensitive pre-launch hardware review

Reviews are time sensitive for the people publishing reviews. That's when the most people are interested.

There is absolutely nothing time sensitive about them for the audience, because buying hardware day 1 (or worse, loving pre-ordering it) is for suckers. Even if the reviews are good! Plenty of past examples of flawed hardware only came to light weeks later -- nvidia space invaders, mobos over-volting AMD CPUs, etc.

(A common thing that reviewers of both games and hardware will tell you about reviews: most of the people reading them are looking for validation, not purchasing advice.)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While videos are nice to watch, at the end of the day it's usually the written reviews I turn to when trying to decide if I should go with, say, the "Radeon RX 6750 XT MECH 2X" or the "Dual GeForce RTX 4060 Ti OC Edition" because I'm not pre-ordering or buying these cards the week they come out, I'm buying them months later when my video card dies for some inexplicable reason or I finally reach a point where I have to actually upgrade the video card (yes I went to memory express and grabbed two cards that were around the same price point and actually different chipsets). I just find it easier to skim articles for the bits I'm interested in rather than watching through whole review videos and hoping I don't miss something important.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

kliras posted:

in theory, there isn't a good overlap of straightforward cms and customization tools; either you use a hosted service with a custom domain (ghost), or you slap something together with static blogging like jekyll/octopress/etc, last of which is a particular mess for contributors above 1

This makes me so sad :(

I've been using jekyll served via GitHub Pages for my personal website, but as soon as I was like "hey i should use this for a little organization i help with" all of the CMS options were the same or costlier than just using SquareSpace for $$$/month :sigh:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Snackmar posted:

This makes me so sad :(

I've been using jekyll served via GitHub Pages for my personal website, but as soon as I was like "hey i should use this for a little organization i help with" all of the CMS options were the same or costlier than just using SquareSpace for $$$/month :sigh:
i've heard very good things about wagtail (django/python), but it still requires someone setting it up first

at least markdown is becoming mainstream with discord adopting the full syntax like [links](http://example.com)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Skimming the source, Gamers Nexus might be using Drupal?