Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If I squint, I think I can see her as "how Zimmy would look if Zimmy didn't look all hosed up all the time."

Still, I went back and she was more prominently illustrated than others in the pages leading up to this, so good buildup.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

This is actually cool. Really striking, beautiful art, cool twist with leadup. First time in a long time I'm like wow, cool page, has me excited to see what happens next.

Then I remember Patware's posts about basic pattern recognition and I feel sad.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, the black-haired girl only showed up in the comic when they hit Zimmy's cityscape, and then became prominent in the background. That's... actually a nice bit of foreshadowing this twist and effective use of background characters.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Pretty sure they’re saying she “looks like Zimmy” in the context of how she appears in the Ether, not her physical appearance.

The purple energy bullshit.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure they’re saying she “looks like Zimmy” in the context of how she appears in the Ether, not her physical appearance.

The purple energy bullshit.

That and she still looks like a person and not like how the other new people looked in the ether at the beginning of the chapter.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I thought she looked like Annie with black hair before this reveal.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Randalor posted:

Huh, the black-haired girl only showed up in the comic when they hit Zimmy's cityscape, and then became prominent in the background. That's... actually a nice bit of foreshadowing this twist and effective use of background characters.

She's the one who pointed the way out of the monster city too. It's a nice little twist.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Except that someone sort of looking like someone means nothing in Zimiworld, or so weve been told time and again?

I dunno, as a twist I seems both lame in implementation (having to be told it) and lame in concept (why would zimmi be with this group of jabronis) and when the comic was good I'd say this would be setup for a an actual good twist but instead I think it's gonna not matter regardless.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if it is zimmy why is she acting in a way zimmy has absolutely never ever acted before

if she's convinced kat's going to kill her why would she be anywhere near annie, who at this point she should know drat well could see her magic gas and know she's not a robot

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
comedy option is "timey wimey bullshit is going to directly result in annie and/or kat directly causing zimmy ending up the way she is for the comic up until now"

also possibly past-zimmy actively watching kat kill future-zimmy

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I dunno, as a twist I seems both lame in implementation (having to be told it) and lame in concept (why would zimmi be with this group of jabronis) and when the comic was good I'd say this would be setup for a an actual good twist but instead I think it's gonna not matter regardless.

I mean, "travel in a pack" is basic survival tactics, or this may just be a buildup to another "twist of fate" like Lana being the fire-haired girl, where the person Zimmy saw Kat kill was the black-haired girl and not Zimmy.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

zimmy's famous for needing to adhere to basic survival tactics in strange realities

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Zimmy will switch from goth to tacticool

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

YaketySass posted:

Zimmy will switch from goth to tacticool

We all gotta get over ourselves eventually. Make of that what you will.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 24, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Patware posted:

if it is zimmy why is she acting in a way zimmy has absolutely never ever acted before

if she's convinced kat's going to kill her why would she be anywhere near annie, who at this point she should know drat well could see her magic gas and know she's not a robot

she spent most of the first zimmyworld excursion thinking she was annie, this is nothing new

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
^^^ Yeah that. And Annie is generally friendly and helpful towards Zimmy, so I could see a "lost" version of herself still sticking near Annie.

GlyphGryph posted:

Except that someone sort of looking like someone means nothing in Zimiworld, or so weve been told time and again?

I did have these thoughts a bit, but with today's update it does seem like Annie/Renard are more open to the possibility instead of being 100% sure. I'm hoping to appreciate seeing them puzzle through it. We also know Zimmy can sometimes read thoughts. Can she hear what Annie/Renard are saying in the ether?

Spoiler: Black haired girl is Jerrick.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

catapede posted:

Spoiler: Black haired girl is Jerrick. Lana.

Because this is Hell and we are all sinners.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Oh god what if it is a combination of both?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DontMindMe posted:

Oh god what if it is a combination of both?

Jerna? Lanick?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

jerma

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

God, imagine if exploring the Zimmy realm was like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0fm2lRrEg0

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

God, imagine if exploring the Zimmy realm was like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0fm2lRrEg0

one of my favorite videos on the internet

i could rant for like a half hour at how that baby moment fails so much at horror and succeeds wildly as comedy. absolutely incredible

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Comedy can actually be useful as a great tool to heighten horror, too. I mean, it wasn't in that game, by with how much that bonk dissolves tension it would have worked really well as part of a setup or for pace control

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

"Just in case you forgot about this entire arc in the middle of reading it, here's what we're doing right now!"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So is this old-Robot who can manipulate the ether because of his wood arm giving him a connection to the ether, or Zimmy or Jerrick in disguise? Place your bets now!

I'm assuming it's not Coyote because old-Robot is lacking Coyote's trademark white/blue/red stripes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm glad this really imposing page is broken up with a speech bubble telling us info we already know.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 1, 2023

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Yeah, the speech bubble completely sucks all tension out of the scene. I can't articulate why, but it feels like the comic equivalent of a badly overdubbed explanatory line from a 70s sci fi movie. Takes you out of the scene, awkward all around.

Watch out for snakesJeanne!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arbetor posted:

Yeah, the speech bubble completely sucks all tension out of the scene. I can't articulate why, but it feels like the comic equivalent of a badly overdubbed explanatory line from a 70s sci fi movie. Takes you out of the scene, awkward all around.

The role of Annie will now be played by Harrison Ford's narration from Blade Runner

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Prediction: Lana is going to show up as Jeanne.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Arbetor posted:

It's because there's no particular reason for her to be saying these things right now. She comes off more like a tour guide blandly declaring each destination than an actual person reacting in the moment, and it rips the focus off of the scene.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So uh I'm not saying it's not leading to anything, but so far this entire chapter has just been "hey remember this part of the comic" and then moving on to another one before anything meaningful happens.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So uh I'm not saying it's not leading to anything, but so far this entire chapter has just been "hey remember this part of the comic" and then moving on to another one before anything meaningful happens.

I'd argue it's worse than that. A plot summary would be useful and let the reader know which plot beats would be relevant for the final act. This is just... vague "Hey, remember when a thing happened? Good times" with one good moment when Annie punted a gopher.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
It also killed all sense of danger, which is incredibly sad for a Zimmy reality distortion.

Ogre! Nah, just a symbolic flashback. We're falling to our deaths! Nah, flashback again.

I'm in the bargaining phase again, hoping that this is just to lull us into a false sense of security and one of the flashbacks will attack Annie for real and put her in real danger, but the comic has burned us like that before.

Every time the comic ups the stakes, it drops them to the ground immediately like in the very next chapter, if not in the same one.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I'll agree with Fecha again and this:

There Bias Two posted:

It's because there's no particular reason for her to be saying these things right now. She comes off more like a tour guide blandly declaring each destination than an actual person reacting in the moment, and it rips the focus off of the scene.

that this series of events would be vastly improved if you removed most of the speech bubbles. I think today's update is a really cool looking page that should feel very sudden/instantaneous. But Annie has enough time to tell us where we are.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Just more evidence of what everyone has been saying

Ditch that first speech bubble and this page is a lot better

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh no, not that guy!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Not the ablative plot armour!

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
All these memories and summaries feels like we're wrapping things up, readers. Not sure how to feel about that yet.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

artichoke posted:

All these memories and summaries feels like we're wrapping things up, readers. Not sure how to feel about that yet.

Yeah it's really hard to see this as anything other than a trip down memory lane before the finale. Will be curious if it winds up being something different, but if that's the case then this is a long time to spend on what is essentially a clip show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
lol @ tragically killing off the most generic looking of these generic characters

It's not as if Jeanne wasn't notorious for prioritizing targets based on specific factors like how brilliant their love shine was or how they posed the biggest obstacle to her before or whatever