Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

What app is it?

I'm visiting the UK and have a Polestar 2 rental. We found another instance of this with another operator, but at least they had a website you could pay on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
You might be able to change your App Store locale temporarily to download the app and then switch back. I had to do that on iOS to get the app for my electric bills which was only available in Italy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Google has some dumb restrictions about changing country so it's probably easiest to create a new account to use temporarily.

Welcome to the future I guess.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nitrousoxide posted:

LFP batteries will almost certainly outlast the car. They can handle thousands of cycles with little degradation. Though they really don't like being charged cold, so they need a good heating system to precondition them.

My father has a BYD Atto 3 Extended Range and it has really bad efficiency in colder weather. Seems like it's aggressively heating the pack.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

dissss posted:

My father has a BYD Atto 3 Extended Range and it has really bad efficiency in colder weather. Seems like it's aggressively heating the pack.

You know what technology doesn't have any problem generating plenty of heat? Gasoline combustion. :smug:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2022/11/02/stellantis-ousts-tesla-in-q3-in-europe-as-jeep-ram-evs-coming-to-us/71393042007/

EV news roundup for the Big 3 in Europe

-Stellantis has big sales numbers
-F150 lighting available in Switzerland
-Lyriq coming to Europe with direct sales

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Speleothing posted:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2022/11/02/stellantis-ousts-tesla-in-q3-in-europe-as-jeep-ram-evs-coming-to-us/71393042007/

While the item might be newsworthy, the source pick is sorta debatable :gonk:

edit: it's not that freep so disregard.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I swear to god this forum is the only place on the internet that constantly uses that word wrong.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Finger Prince posted:

Geo-locked charging apps is the dumbest aspect of EVs I can think of yet. You'd think we'd have moved on from the days of Playstation 1 games. I can't charge my rental at this hotel because the charger needs an app that isn't available on my locality of Play store. Fuckin love living in 1998.
Geo-locking is it's own brand of stupid no matter where it's used, but the whole concept of mandatory apps for charging needs to die in a fire regardless of geolocking.

There's nothing wrong with offering an app, they obviously offer many advantages that could not be offered any other way, but if a person can't roll up to a charger with nothing more than a car and possibly a credit card and successfully charge from there then the charger is broken or defective, period. The various government incentives really need to acknowledge that and make app-free operation mandatory.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
IMO, it really needs to get to the point where if you charge to charge, you support credit/debit tap-to-pay. ChargePoint is close, but it’s still the proprietary card.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

All the ChargePoint stations in Santa Fe you can tap with a credit card. It's the same price as using the app.

spanakopita
Apr 4, 2009

I turned to my wife and said, you know who can help with this? The pig balls website.

I'm in need of a family car and I want an EV, basically narrowed it down to the ModelY and ID4, but I'm not really sure yet.

I'm thinking about getting a L2 charger installed at home prior to choosing and it looks like the Tesla Universal Wallcharger will "just work" with either choice.
Is there any reason why I should wait to install the charger?

Any Boston area goons want to tell me what they paid for installation?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I think we now have cruft's identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEZPLBFeduY

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Saukkis posted:

I think we now have cruft's identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEZPLBFeduY

Who else instantly pictured him kicking the poo poo out of that ferrari

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

spanakopita posted:

I'm in need of a family car and I want an EV, basically narrowed it down to the ModelY and ID4, but I'm not really sure yet.

I'm thinking about getting a L2 charger installed at home prior to choosing and it looks like the Tesla Universal Wallcharger will "just work" with either choice.

I think that's a smart move. It's likely you'll have the charger longer than the car, and this one will plug into anything you're likely to buy in the next 12 years.

Having it already installed means that when you finally get your car, you don't have a waiting period before you can fully charge it overnight.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The only reason to wait is if you don’t know what orientation your car will be in your parking spot. Because you want the charger near the charging port. Otherwise, not really.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Kind of shocked that the Escalade EV hasn't been announced for Europe, I think it would sell shockingly well, what a flex to driven in a luxury barge through the London city center.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Unironically just once I want to use a charger that accepts physical dollar bills like a vending machine

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Speleothing posted:

Meanwhile in AU the Model Y continues to be the top-selling vehicle of any type that isn’t a lovely dual-cab ute

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

QuarkJets posted:

Unironically just once I want to use a charger that accepts physical dollar bills like a vending machine

Quarters, one by one, like an old pay phone.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Blue Moonlight posted:

IMO, it really needs to get to the point where if you charge to charge, you support credit/debit tap-to-pay. ChargePoint is close, but it’s still the proprietary card.

Tesla's V4 Supercharger has that feature, and they've just activated a few of them in the US. Though I don't think they'll be replacing existing stalls with them any time soon.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cockmaster posted:

Tesla's V4 Supercharger has that feature, and they've just activated a few of them in the US. Though I don't think they'll be replacing existing stalls with them any time soon.

Does the charging standard that tesla opened up include a way to automate payments for non-tesla cars?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

spanakopita posted:

The Tesla charger is nice, I prefer the Grizzle-E a bit, just because of its really nice all-aluminum housing, where the Tesla one is a superficial glass plate over a very cheap plastic assembly. And you have to connect your charger to the wifi to set the charging current on the Tesla. loving why? Put a goddamn button or switch or some poo poo on it instead of a whole-rear end wifi card that gets used for one (1) thing.

cruft posted:

All the ChargePoint stations in Santa Fe you can tap with a credit card. It's the same price as using the app.

All the ChargePoint and EA stations in the PNW have a vestigial piece of plastic and electronics on them that's been destroyed by water ingress, that looks like a credit card reader.

wolrah posted:

The various government incentives really need to acknowledge that and make app-free operation mandatory.

loving please 🙏. The EA app works fine, but I don't want to try and download and log into and give my CC info to your 2.3 star rated piece of poo poo app over 1 bar of 4G service so I can charge my car at your lovely rural charger, for the non-CP or EA stations.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

cruft posted:

You know what technology doesn't have any problem generating plenty of heat? Gasoline combustion. :smug:
It is nice with a PHEV to have serious heat on tap available when the heat pump isn’t quite fast enough.

Vegetable posted:

The only reason to wait is if you don’t know what orientation your car will be in your parking spot. Because you want the charger near the charging port. Otherwise, not really.

Yeah this can really get you especially since evse cables max at about 23-25 feet. I back my car into my garage and the charge port for my model 3 was on the driver side. Plenty of cable to use the UMC with it. Then I bought my rav4 prime and of course its port is on the passenger side. Now I’m stuck getting a custom made Tesla to J1772 cable from Teslatap to use the existing system and have enough cable to reach. You should measure all around potential parking spaces and charge port locations to prevent having to pay $$$ in the future.

If I was to go back in time I would put the NEMA 14-50 outlet more towards the middle of the wall. That way I could use it easily with the car no matter where the plug was. I also recommend getting a 50 amp circuit and not cheaping out like I see some people do only getting a 30 amp put in. It is much more future proof.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Elviscat posted:

The Tesla charger is nice, I prefer the Grizzle-E a bit, just because of its really nice all-aluminum housing, where the Tesla one is a superficial glass plate over a very cheap plastic assembly. And you have to connect your charger to the wifi to set the charging current on the Tesla. loving why? Put a goddamn button or switch or some poo poo on it instead of a whole-rear end wifi card that gets used for one (1) thing.

All the ChargePoint and EA stations in the PNW have a vestigial piece of plastic and electronics on them that's been destroyed by water ingress, that looks like a credit card reader.

loving please 🙏. The EA app works fine, but I don't want to try and download and log into and give my CC info to your 2.3 star rated piece of poo poo app over 1 bar of 4G service so I can charge my car at your lovely rural charger, for the non-CP or EA stations.

Because I am incredibly stupid, I just bought this:

All their (previous) chargers seem to have solid reviews and the price/feature set seems solid. I was going to hardwire but went ahead and went with NEMA 14-50 so I can replace it if it poo poo.

The "chargers" are dumb boxes and the construction seems very solid, may come to my senses and have a nicer one overnighted and return it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well, it makes sense that you would buy an EVSE with a name that sounds like "Bougie".

I never had any problems with my cheap no-name L2 EVSE I bought on Amazon, FWIW, besides the Bolt getting mad at it for some reason.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I ended up with a 14-50 and a second Tesla Mobile Charger and a little plastic mounting bracket :shrug: It's inside and the garage rarely gets above the mid 80s. I can control the charging current for my MYLR within the Tesla app or the center screen.

This was 2+ years ago at this point, and by far the most cost effective way. My garage is also really small, so the less space consumed the better.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Well, it makes sense that you would buy an EVSE with a name that sounds like "Bougie".

I never had any problems with my cheap no-name L2 EVSE I bought on Amazon, FWIW, besides the Bolt getting mad at it for some reason.

Not lost on me.

I liked the idea of having status information on the charger, it supports time charging if we ever had reason to move to off peak charging, wifi control is based on a device hosted webpage so I can disable internet traffic to it and still use it's WiFi features and not use some possibly sketchy app.

It checked a lot of boxes for the price, and EVSEs are so simple that I figured a no-name Chinese company can manage to build one that isn't dangerous/poo poo.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I ended up with a 14-50 and a second Tesla Mobile Charger and a little plastic mounting bracket :shrug: It's inside and the garage rarely gets above the mid 80s. I can control the charging current for my MYLR within the Tesla app or the center screen.

This was 2+ years ago at this point, and by far the most cost effective way. My garage is also really small, so the less space consumed the better.

That's what I did as well. Having an outlet gives more options to add a second charger if we get a car that doesn't use NACS. After hearing that the official wall unit needs WiFi to work (:psyduck:), I'm glad I have something I can just plug in. 32 amps is plenty of charging when the car is plugged in every night.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Not lost on me.

I liked the idea of having status information on the charger, it supports time charging if we ever had reason to move to off peak charging, wifi control is based on a device hosted webpage so I can disable internet traffic to it and still use it's WiFi features and not use some possibly sketchy app.

It checked a lot of boxes for the price, and EVSEs are so simple that I figured a no-name Chinese company can manage to build one that isn't dangerous/poo poo.

Does the Mach-E not have on-board charge scheduling? The Leaf and ID.4 do, the internet says the Bolt does as well, but I've never had occasion to use it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'd like to point out that you can just buy a long charging cable with a plug and not worry about those Wi-Fi wall boxes, if your car is capable of maintaining its own charging schedule. It's cheaper, more convenient, and probably way more future-proof.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reminder that juicebox is garbage and should be avoided at all costs. I’m glad I can use mine as essentially a dumb charger since the car itself handles charge limits and schedule but god loving drat juicebox is dead set on making the absolute worse app / system on the planet and then every couple of months they release an even dumber new app you’re forced to use.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Emporia wall charger has served me really well- easy to schedule, built great, app software works.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The Emporia wall charger has served me really well- easy to schedule, built great, app software works.

Same. I also have the full house monitoring system to tie into it but haven't gotten around to it yet. :effort:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ROFLBOT posted:

Meanwhile in AU the Model Y continues to be the top-selling vehicle of any type that isn’t a lovely dual-cab ute

I would buy the gently caress out of a Model 3 based ute.

Model 3 Camino

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

Same. I also have the full house monitoring system to tie into it but haven't gotten around to it yet. :effort:

do you mean a house energy monitoring system? If so which do you have, and would you recommend it?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Bone Crimes posted:

do you mean a house energy monitoring system? If so which do you have, and would you recommend it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CJGPHL9 but I haven't installed it yet. Supposed to integrate nicely with the charger but I had to wait for the charger installation to be inspected so hopefully I'll do it soon.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Reminder that juicebox is garbage and should be avoided at all costs. I’m glad I can use mine as essentially a dumb charger since the car itself handles charge limits and schedule but god loving drat juicebox is dead set on making the absolute worse app / system on the planet and then every couple of months they release an even dumber new app you’re forced to use.

Yea I haven’t actually tried to use the app in at least a year because it’s a big piece of poo poo. But the car charges when I plug it in which is what actually matters.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I have a second mobile charger for my Y and a clipper creek for the Bolt and they both have been solid. The Clipper Creek is going on 6 years now, serviced my Volt since 2017 and Bolt since 2020. It's nice to just plug them in and not deal with another app for things. Also there's the fun trend of "Smart" devices getting EOL'd after 5 years even though they'd be perfectly functional as a dumb device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I bought a rando chinese one because it had a thick gauge extra long cable I need since I have street parking.

Didn't even last a year before the contactor failed on it.

I suppose if I ever replace it (I'm just using a 110v charger and extension cord now) I'd just get a more reliable brand and maybe get an extension cable instead of looking specifically for one with a 50ft one.