Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SirPablo posted:

That was pre merger and basically like winning the NFC. So, obviously doesn't count.

ALL OF THOSE PRE MERGER TITLES COUNT!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

:hmmyes:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

surf rock posted:

I don't really get this argument. It's very easy to trade down to get more picks; anyone can do it. The reason the Bears have been in a position to do that for multiple years is because they've been terrible for multiple years. It's not because of any particular savvy from Poles. The only reason he traded back last year was because he believed in Fields, and the only reason he got great value from trading back was because it was considered a good QB class.

I wouldn't say that he's botched his draft-day maneuvering or whatever, but this just seems really unremarkable.

It was said the Bears can't afford to give up draft capital. I was pointing out that Poles will likely still end up with more draft picks than he started with. The Bears don't just need draft capital. They need difference makers. Especially on their defensive line. Sweat is a guy offenses needs to account for. He's not flashy, but he is a top 15 end in this league. If you are lucky, your second will be as good as him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I know this is mostly a joke but I'm kinda curious why the reaction to Cousins has been largely sympathetic whereas the reaction to Rodgers was "lol get hosed throw rogan"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MJeff posted:

I know this is mostly a joke but I'm kinda curious why the reaction to Cousins has been largely sympathetic whereas the reaction to Rodgers was "lol get hosed throw rogan"

Cousins didn't play will they won't they for the last 3 off seasons.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MJeff posted:

Cousins much less desperate for attention.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MJeff posted:

Because Cousins has always been honest about who he is as a person.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cousins has the same opinions as basically every white athlete in America and knows it. Rodgers has them without the Jesus stuff and thus thinks he arrived at his conclusions due to the awesome power of his mind.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

MJeff posted:

He's quieter about his lovely views and a worse QB

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Aaron rodgers is extremely annoying, that's why

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Also, let’s be fair, Kirk’s competence has certainly helped the Vikings, but he’s hardly defined them during his tenure, Rodgers is a Hall of Fame quarterback who spent over a decade terrorizing the NFC North

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

R.D. Mangles posted:

Clearly not a Vikings fan.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
This is easy. Rodgers is a swarmy piece of poo poo that no one loves.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think the big difference is Kirk seems like he means well. Rodgers just wants to show he's smarter then everyone while being the dumbest person imaginable. Give me the nice dumb dumb every time

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Fair enough I guess. I would be pretty confident Kirk is a significantly worse person but Rodgers is definitely more of a publicly facing jerk.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MJeff posted:

Fair enough I guess. I would be pretty confident Kirk is a significantly worse person but Rodgers is definitely more of a publicly facing jerk.

They both have lovely politics but Aaron also seems like an tremendous rear end in a top hat on a personal and professional level.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MJeff posted:

Dude was doing autographs for little kids hours after tearing his Achilles. He has lovely politics, but a lot of people with lovely politics have them because it is all they've known amd have been programmed to know. There is a lot to be said for how you actually treat people in front of you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
"Good vs Bad Politics" and "rear end in a top hat vs Not An rear end in a top hat" are two different axes.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

A few years ago I would have guessed that Kirk was a worse and more annoying person than Rodgers. The vibes on the team were putrid and it seemed like Kirk was singlehandedly driving one of the best receivers in the league off the team. But now I suspect Zimmer and Diggs' own grumpiness had as much to do with that as anything Kirk might have done. His current teammates seem to really like him. He has god-awful politics but he seems much more interpersonally tolerable than Rodgers

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

From what I've seen most people who personally interact with Rodgers have positive things to say about him, it's the exceptions like Jennings who don't. He also seems to have serious interpersonal issues with authorities who for whatever reason have lost his respect (McCarthy, Gutekunst).

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Kirk sucks but he never lied or danced around the truth like Rodgers did, that's why Rodgers sucks more.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

C-Euro posted:

"Good vs Bad Politics" and "rear end in a top hat vs Not An rear end in a top hat" are two different axes.

because there's a wrestling analogy for everything, also see: CM Punk vs Chris Jericho

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yep. You dont just get to erase history because you were not alive for it. Should you hang your hat on them? No, but they still happened.

They didnt even play a championship game until '33. Before that, it was determined by record and they didnt even play the same amount of games.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
NFCN: which QB is the biggest rear end in a top hat

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

SirPablo posted:

Favre

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

ZombieCrew posted:

Yep. You dont just get to erase history because you were not alive for it. Should you hang your hat on them? No, but they still happened.

They didnt even play a championship game until '33. Before that, it was determined by record and they didnt even play the same amount of games.

Wikipedia still counts it so it's good. Besides, tell the Chiefs the AFL championships they have don't count.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Sataere posted:

Dude was doing autographs for little kids hours after tearing his Achilles. He has lovely politics, but a lot of people with lovely politics have them because it is all they've known amd have been programmed to know. There is a lot to be said for how you actually treat people in front of you.

I work with some incredibly kind-hearted, warm people who I know to never ever ever discuss politics with.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SirPablo posted:

Cutty, but I think you meant worst, which is Favre

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

we never heard what specifically happened about Alan Williams, we probably won't hear poo poo.

https://twitter.com/ChiSportUpdates/status/1719713364245401673

:rubby: at "make an effort"

If this motherfucker......

Still :rubby:ing at this tbh

It was obviously going to be the case the instant the reaction in here post-trade was "of course they already have a 'handshake' agreement for an extension, why else would they trade for him while sucking and for Only half a season. They have a plan. Trust :unsmith:". It's the Bears. This was the only way that was ever going to end, doubting was jinxing it, and :rubby: that the hope couldn't even last like 2 days after before they hosed up even that

surf rock posted:

Goddamn this is so funny

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 3, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/sean_hammond/status/1720511059465793626?s=20

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Can this please be like the "Rookie of the Year" where his injured thumb healing suddenly makes him amazing and he doesnt hold onto the ball for an eternity.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Anti-Hero posted:

I work with some incredibly kind-hearted, warm people who I know to never ever ever discuss politics with.

Same. People aren't all entirely bad or entirely good.

ZombieCrew posted:

Can this please be like the "Rookie of the Year" where his injured thumb healing suddenly makes him amazing and he doesnt hold onto the ball for an eternity.

Justin Fields has amazing zip on his passes. He's also killed three receivers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Cole Kmet gonna start ranting and raving about Hot Ice.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

From what I've seen most people who personally interact with Rodgers have positive things to say about him, it's the exceptions like Jennings who don't. He also seems to have serious interpersonal issues with authorities who for whatever reason have lost his respect (McCarthy, Gutekunst).

I assume Rodgers feels that they're the two main reasons he only has one Super Bowl and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lookin' like he might have a point to make on that one given how both guys' post-Rodgers careers have gone/are looking.

Like McCarthy had to have cost him at least one additional ring, right?

MJeff fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 3, 2023

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Oh no, we got a good ol fashioned QB controversy in Chicago.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fat Mike’s game (and clock) management, to this very day, remains atrocious.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MJeff posted:

I assume Rodgers feels that they're the two main reasons he only has one Super Bowl and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lookin' like he might have a point to make on that one given how both guys' post-Rodgers careers have gone/are looking.

Like McCarthy had to have cost him at least one additional ring, right?

I don't remember Rodgers having major conflicts with McCarthy until after the 2015 season so, yeah, probably.

You can pin a lot of the 2014 meltdown on McCarthy's coaching and gametime decisions, too.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What was it, three 4th and goals from inside the 10?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

The Falcons were definitely also offering a second at the very least.

Teams didn't believe that he was gonna be available but then he suddenly was as Washington decided to tear everything down.

And a couple of teams were interested. Once again the bears just have the best second lol.

Most teams with losing records aren't dumb enough to trade for an expiring contract. Of course the Bears will be able to beat anyone else's offer. They're competing against actual playoff teams for these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Still :rubby:ing at this tbh

It was obviously going to be the case the instant the reaction in here post-trade was "of course they already have a 'handshake' agreement for an extension, why else would they trade for him while sucking and for Only half a season. They have a plan. Trust :unsmith:". It's the Bears. This was the only way that was ever going to end, doubting was jinxing it, and :rubby: that the hope couldn't even last like 2 days after before they hosed up even that

Poles is a really bad GM.