Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Baconroll posted:

They are doing something weird off the Iberian Peninusla in Europe - A few years ago small number started attacking rudders on small boats. This behavior had spread and now 3 boats have been sunk with dozens damaged, and hundreds of interactions. All very very odd.

Sadly its only going to end one way - the Orcas will end up all being killed in that area.

Human civilization has been using the ocean as its own personal sewer for several centuries by now, so is it really so surprising that the ocean is finally telling us to gently caress off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

There is another important passage in a memoir by a shipwrecked whale hunting sailor, actually the book that Henry Melville based Moby Dick on, about being attacked and other survivors eaten by what is clearly orcas.

Yes. Moby Dick is about the wrong whale (or dolphin) sort of

I remember reading an account written by somebody in the late 1800s or early 1900s about orcas coming under the ice and smashing it trying to break it, but I thought it was also made clear that they likely thought the men were probably seals, seeing only their shadows/silhouettes from under the ice.

Is this what you were talking about? I don’t remember any stories of anyone actually getting eaten.

The only hostile interactions I’ve heard of other than that are the things orcas have to done to trainers and idiots who stay after park closing to try and swim with them.

And none of those involved people being eaten either.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/killer-whales-work-with-humans

I always like the story about humans and orcas hunting together for generations. Unfortunately, it ended like you know it would.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

MrMojok posted:

I remember reading an account written by somebody in the late 1800s or early 1900s about orcas coming under the ice and smashing it trying to break it, but I thought it was also made clear that they likely thought the men were probably seals, seeing only their shadows/silhouettes from under the ice.

Is this what you were talking about? I don’t remember any stories of anyone actually getting eaten.

The only hostile interactions I’ve heard of other than that are the things orcas have to done to trainers and idiots who stay after park closing to try and swim with them.

A few months back I saw stories about a pod of Orcas that were harassing boats off the coast of Spain. I remember reading something to the effect that they identified one of the whales has having a bad interaction with boats. That hatred led her to teach the rest of the pod how to "hunt" boats. Now they harass boats.

I read about another pod that travels the oceans killing sharks and only eating their liver.

Orcas are strange, violent creatures. Like cats of the sea.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/killer-whales-work-with-humans

I always like the story about humans and orcas hunting together for generations. Unfortunately, it ended like you know it would.

He fixes their cable?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

ASAPI posted:

A few months back I saw stories about a pod of Orcas that were harassing boats off the coast of Spain. I remember reading something to the effect that they identified one of the whales has having a bad interaction with boats. That hatred led her to teach the rest of the pod how to "hunt" boats. Now they harass boats.

I read about another pod that travels the oceans killing sharks and only eating their liver.

Orcas are strange, violent creatures. Like cats of the sea.

The shark killing pod is or at least was along the coast of South Africa, and the reason why my fiancée wasn't able to see many sharks on her shark diving tour while there.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

MrMojok posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Shipwreck-Whaleship-Essex-Narrative-Melvilles/dp/1510715789

was what I was thinking about. I hope I've not gravely misunderstood what he wrote, but then again I also can't vouch for a guy 200 years ago (!) being completely accurate about his fisherman story

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mustang posted:

I can't imagine what the PNW must have been like 100 years ago. Was reading about how orcas used to be considered pests and shooting them was encouraged, with about 1/4 of the orcas captured through to the 1970s having bullet scars. Now they're people's favorite animal.

I was asking my grandparents about that era and it was interesting how no one cared about Redmond, Bellevue, or Kirkland as at the time they were sleepy lumber hamlets.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

There is another important passage in a memoir by a shipwrecked whale hunting sailor, actually the book that Henry Melville based Moby Dick on, about being attacked and other survivors eaten by what is clearly orcas.

Moby Dick has the wrong kind of RAM.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

No, the Essex was definitely done in by a sperm whale and Mocha dick was likewise a cum whale. That said while I like orcas I don't 100% believe the "they never killed people" bit at all.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Shipwreck-Whaleship-Essex-Narrative-Melvilles/dp/1510715789

was what I was thinking about. I hope I've not gravely misunderstood what he wrote, but then again I also can't vouch for a guy 200 years ago (!) being completely accurate about his fisherman story
I think you have misremembered something, or merged another book/story with this one. I can't find any evidence that anybody died by orca during the Essex's voyage, although it's possible Chase included an anecdote about some other experience with them in his book.

Going off the historical narrative and cobbling things together from Wikipedia:

There were 21 total crewmembers. One deserted some time before the attack. Of the remaining 20, there were eventually 8 survivors, and none died in the whale attack itself. Two crewmembers died of starvation/thirst and were buried at sea. Seven of the dead were in fact eaten, but by their shipmates. Three more became separated from the other whaling boats and their fate is unconfirmed (although a whaling boat was later found washed up on an island with three skeletons on board).

edit: Reading back, I may have actually misread your original post a bit. Apologies if that's the case.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 3, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hobbesmaster posted:

The sadder thing about LoL is that he was playing it constantly every day while overprescribed ADHD meds. And he only ranked up to bronze. For those that guy don’t know, bronze is the bottom 28%.

For context, AOC said she ranked bronze something when she picked LoL back up after being elected and later posted about making it to I think gold 4. I believe that is actually the median rank or close to it.

(She also said another democratic congressman was high platinum in the same season which is in the 80th percentile range. That’s absolutely a rank where you have to have put a lot of focused effort into deeply learning the game and grinding.)

This is honestly shocking and hilarious. Amphetamines are absolutely a game changer if you play games competitively and for him to play so badly on them... I'm starting to see how he got caught

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Elviscat posted:

Look at all those huge trees!

Let's cut 'em all down! Every single one!

Currently reading a biography of Sherman and ran across this :psyduck: tidbit of his foster father's memories of growing up on the Ohio frontier.

VVVV With a Sherman bio, you also need to make sure you don't burn yourself out either.
:dumbrim:

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 3, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You read too much stuff like that you're gonna bum yourself out in short order

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
lmbo at both "Henry Melville" and "Mocha Dick"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

You read too much stuff like that you're gonna bum yourself out in short order

Sherman burning us out from beyond the grave!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CommieGIR posted:

Sherman burning us out from beyond the grave!

Hail SS-64 Sherman, may his passage cleanse the earth.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Yeah well I maintain that orcas are shifty and they'd bite ya as soon as look at ye, by a mile if they'd be a foot! Arrgh.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie's lawyers have been such poo poo birds in the NYAG Trump Org case that they just got a gag order on them too:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1720520314637918321?t=VKoJiL57HWtfyH2iagVO3g&s=19

The one lawyer is basically making the judge out to be a puppet of his clerk, to make a really stupid appellate record and/or actively participate in Donnie's propaganda against the clerk. Legal strategery 101 at play.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Soul Dentist posted:

lmbo at both "Henry Melville" and "Mocha Dick"

that was its name

e: well the whale

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Actually it's Mocha Dick's monster, "Henry"

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
There was a bit in The Worst Journey In The World where he talks about Orcas coming up around the ice floes that a few men and dogs found themselves trapped on. It's been a while since I read it but I think he said they were just after the dogs. This was a book about one of the expeditions to the South Pole.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Of course he can only hire lawyers who are truthers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Turns out the lawyers for bad people also tend to be bad people

Sorry public defenders

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

Of course he can only hire lawyers who are truthers.

I think it's because the lead shitbird knows they're going to lose and lose badly - but he needs to keep the gravy train rolling.

Before the representation started, the lawyer (Kise) demanded Donnie put $3m in an escrow that Kise could bill to and pull from. That way, Kise knows Donnie is good for the money, since Donnie loves stiffing contractors. Kise is likely trying to keep himself employed for the appeal or the next case after this loss, and the best way to do that is make a scene that Donnie loves.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
youve got to thread the needle between "deranged enough to keep getting paid" and "get disbarred"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Oregon Museum of Science and Industry has an excellent exhibit on orcas. As other posters have noted they are excellent at offing adorable animals.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oregon Museum of Science and Industry has an excellent exhibit on orcas. As other posters have noted they are excellent at offing adorable animals.

OMSI fuckin rules. Tons of happy memories from that place. They also have the USS Bluejack moored in the river, and that’s super fun to tour.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

There was a bit in The Worst Journey In The World where he talks about Orcas coming up around the ice floes that a few men and dogs found themselves trapped on. It's been a while since I read it but I think he said they were just after the dogs. This was a book about one of the expeditions to the South Pole.

A bit off topic, but one of the things I like the most about GIP is book recommendations (not the weird "let's read" ones). Thanks for pointing me to this.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Waiting to see a SpaceX launch tonight, and the recovery ship is called A Shortfall of Gravitas:

quote:

And despite the ships differing and somewhat whimsical names – they all have another underlying connection as well.  They are all named after sentient starships in Iain M. Bank’s Culture series of sci-fi novels. The ship A Shortfall of Gravitas is named after is actually called Experiencing a Significant Gravitas Shortfall, and comes from the book Look to Windward.  Of Course I Still Love You and Just Read the Instructions on the other hand come from a book called The Player of Games. 

I didn't know it was possible, but Elon is even more punchable. What a fuckin' nerd.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's the cool nerd move though. He obviously didn't learn anything from any Banks novel, however

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
speaking of nerds, check out what happened with another nerd's fascination with MMA

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1720599339725140293

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Iain M Banks - writes books about communism being good and the meaning of being alive.

Elon Musk - steals the funny names

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

speaking of nerds, check out what happened with another nerd's fascination with MMA

Nelson-HaHa.jpg

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

They’re really trying to sell the “he’s actually human” bit, just swap the drat cable out and Zuckbot will be good to go again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Iain M Banks - writes books about communism being good and the meaning of being alive.

Elon Musk - steals the funny names

While contact designated Earth as part of a control group the Musks were so obnoxious that special circumstances dropped them off to get rid of them.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Wait, Zuck was actually going to fight someone? Who? I hope it was CM Punk.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

facialimpediment posted:

those things take a looong time to heal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Wrong Theory posted:

Wait, Zuck was actually going to fight someone? Who? I hope it was CM Punk.

He only does BJJ rounds, not true fights, but if you want more information about that:

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1702017999987720640

It's a big thing in Silicon Valley and lots of rando competitions all over.