Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've rarely found a game that had a reasonable balance between crafting and looting. Often the crafting aspect feels like an afterthought, something they decided to tack on at the last minute and gets shoehorned into a game world that isn't balanced for it. That, or crafting is so potent and necessary that actual loot is nothing but trash and reagents, and your progress is gated by needing to build a Mithril Grappling Hook or whatever. Some games try to address this by giving equipment limited durability though that can get tedious too if it is an item that needs to be frequently replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

credburn posted:

What good are "shorts"? Every single thing about it feels like a regular YouTube video but with less features i.e. no access to the scrub bar

I was happy to discover that you can just put a short's video ID into a regular youtube URL (that is, change "shorts/" in the URL into "watch?v=") and you get it on a normal video page, with full player controls and everything.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Powered Descent posted:

I was happy to discover that you can just put a short's video ID into a regular youtube URL (that is, change "shorts/" in the URL into "watch?v=") and you get it on a normal video page, with full player controls and everything.

How about you put that in English for those of us without masters in computer science, Nerd

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oldpainless posted:

How about you put that in English for those of us without masters in computer science, Nerd

change your shorts into watches

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Runa posted:

change your shorts into watches

So thats why so many watches have a hair in photos.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have a hard time finding poetry without meter and verse meaningful. At that point I’d rather just read well written prose

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

I have a hard time finding poetry without meter and verse meaningful. At that point I’d rather just read well written prose

I mean it's just aesthetic prose already right

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Meter, verse, are nice little additions. All good poetry however is just short form prose.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

On Twitter somebody was making deepfake videos of Joe Biden reading Rupi Kaur poems, and those were pretty terrific.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doverhog posted:

Meter, verse, are nice little additions. All good poetry however is just short form prose.

That is definitionally not true! Prose is defined, in part, by not being poetry

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You don't seem to claim that verse or meter are required however? Just that you prefer them.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

That is definitionally not true! Prose is defined, in part, by not being poetry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prose_poetry

:thunk:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I suppose I should mention some poetry I enjoy, most lately the album "I Inside The Old Year Dying" by PJ Harvey.

*song lyrics are poetry

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

What good are "shorts"? Every single thing about it feels like a regular YouTube video but with less features i.e. no access to the scrub bar

Also they don't show up with the other videos on your subscriptions page, so if you want to watch them you have to seek them out separately. And there's no consensus on what they're for: some channels just put clips cut from longer videos out as shorts but other channels designate any short video a "short" but you'll likely ignore the latter due to the prevalence of the former, or because it's a channel that does a mix of both and you don't want to waste time watching out-of-context clips of stuff you've already seen.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Shorts suck, it's youtube's answer to tiktok, and not a good one.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Just because boxer briefs exist doesn’t mean that boxers and briefs aren’t separate things

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

David Fincher makes excellent 3/5 films, it's unfortunate that that is all he's ever made.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Gaius Marius posted:

David Fincher makes excellent 3/5 films, it's unfortunate that that is all he's ever made.

Oh 3.5 at least come on

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

credburn posted:

Oh 3.5 at least come on

Nope. Sorry. Zodiac is the film I'd have given the .5 but I just rewatched it and it is unfortunately a 3. Love seeing Chloe Sevigny though, her getting hosed career wise for Brown Bunny is bullshit.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Well, David Fincher at least does deliver a pretty solid delivery, even if it's never super great. I think he's a better music video director; my favorite part of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was the opening credits.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Mindhunter is his best work.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5290382/?ref_=nm_flmg_t_4_dr

It's good, recommend you watch it. A look into the history of the FBI and also a drama.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I might pirate it eventually but everytime I look at it I wonder what it's offering me that I haven't already seen in Mann's Manhunter

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I might pirate it eventually but everytime I look at it I wonder what it's offering me that I haven't already seen in Mann's Manhunter

They’re hunting minds, obviously.

Zodiac is the best movie of the 21st century. Mindhunter is a solid show with a horrendous first episode.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Fincher is he only director to put Jesse Eisenberg's insanely punchable face and repulsive demeanor to good use so he gets at least a 3.5 for that. Also, Zodiac rules and Alien 3 is secretly good

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Perhaps the best portrayal of Ed Kemper you'll ever see. Cameron Britton had a way of talking and moving and suddenly shifting that really got across his size in a deeply unnerving way.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I don't think predictable punchlines are funny.

Like, a punchline doesn't have to come out of nowhere and be totally unexpected for me to find it funny, but if I know what the punchline is going to be two words into the joke, then your joke is lame, predictable, or likely just some low-effort variation of some other joke everyone has already heard.

Also: Marylin Manson's version of Sweet Dreams is just the same song but without any subtlety or nuance. Good job you weird genius, you revealed that it's sort of a dark song? It's like someone covering Fortunate Son and being like hrrrrur see it's about NOT being a fortunate son

Actually a super dark grindy doom metal cover of Fortunate Son would be pretty cool, but not if it fuckin played in movies to subvert the theme or whatever

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

credburn posted:

I don't think predictable punchlines are funny.

Like, a punchline doesn't have to come out of nowhere and be totally unexpected for me to find it funny, but if I know what the punchline is going to be two words into the joke, then your joke is lame, predictable, or likely just some low-effort variation of some other joke everyone has already heard.

You’re losin me here

credburn posted:

Also: Marylin Manson's version of Sweet Dreams is just the same song but without any subtlety or nuance. Good job you weird genius, you revealed that it's sort of a dark song? It's like someone covering Fortunate Son and being like hrrrrur see it's about NOT being a fortunate son

:same: but also marilyn manson has always sucked

credburn posted:

Actually a super dark grindy doom metal cover of Fortunate Son would be pretty cool, but not if it fuckin played in movies to subvert the theme or whatever

I am absolutely positive this has happened unless :thejoke:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Sorry/not sorry: Pepsi Blue sucked. Wrap it up, Pepsialures.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t enjoy the taste of colas. I think they’re pretty gross

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All sugar water is gross

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Drinking a flavoured drink with a meal overpowers and ruins the flavour of the food. The only correct beverage during a meal is water

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

steinrokkan posted:

All sugar water is gross

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Killingyouguy! posted:

Drinking a flavoured drink with a meal overpowers and ruins the flavour of the food. The only correct beverage during a meal is water

you gotta swallow the drink before you put the food in your mouth

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

you gotta swallow the drink before you put the food in your mouth

and vice versa

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah but like tastes stay in your mouth after that?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wash your mouth with bleach between each beverage / meal. Ideally do the same for each component of a meal as well. E.g. you wouldn't want the tastes of meat and potatoes combining in your mouth.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t understand the difference between something being bullshit and something being horseshit

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t understand the difference between something being bullshit and something being horseshit

I wasn't aware there was a difference.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Audacity of the lie. In ascending order it goes hogwash, horse piss, bullshit, and then finally dog cum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
bullshit has less malicious intent. it's like nonsense. a person might feed you a line of bullshit simply out of ignorance. horseshit is more intentional and deserving of scorn and should be said more emphatically