Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

I'm just a Poster, this feels terrible! :(

Not anymore. Anyone who doesn't support Zionism is no longer a real Poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

It can be hard to find good sources (in English...) about how the enormous empires of the early Caliphates actually worked, but from my understanding, once a more regular imperial governance was implemented after the initial period of expansion it was all about (for the new imperial elites) securing governorships of provinces, so that you could extract tax revenues, and hopefully get out before your successor would accuse you of stealing said tax revenues and try to extort your hard-gotten wealth from you; in some ways very much like the Roman senatorial governorship system. I wonder if anyone has written anything about the similarities between Rome and the early Caliphate from that perspective?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

i dont know what us arabs did to deserve MBZ, MBS, Sisi, Assad, etc. but it mustve been pretty bad for god to hate us this much.

you just happened to be too close to Europe with too much of some important resources

or, as the original Latin American version goes, "Poor Mexico! So far from God, so close to the United States". (then it got paraphrased to the rest of us here)

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/ArthurDelaneyHP/status/1720517194243551638

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

You can't imagine how shocked I was when I first learned that Bar Kohba was historically disliked by jews, and that Lag BaOmer has nothing to do with him and that was just some bullshit that zionists made up.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jesus chickenfucking Christ

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

At least in the English translations I've read, pious Muslim preachers of the later caliphal period decrying corruption will call said later caliphs, after the Rightly Guided Ones or some other moral cutoff point, "Pharaohs". Always wondered if that fully reflected the Arabic.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Dta dti times infinity

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

:d2a: :d2a: :d2a:

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away
https://x.com/FEARMYFEMUR/status/1720231171723038799?s=20

Pretty sure TankPosting got TankToasted guys.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

RC Cola posted:

Dta dti times infinity

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

At least in the English translations I've read, pious Muslim preachers of the later caliphal period decrying corruption will call said later caliphs, after the Rightly Guided Ones or some other moral cutoff point, "Pharaohs". Always wondered if that fully reflected the Arabic.

It does. The Quran elliptically refers to many of the Prophets and also to firawn, or Pharaoh, archetypically the Pharaoh of Moses' time.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

that bill has no chance of passing but its just more insane racism

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Well that's one theory. Maybe he's just too busy grinding and leveling up like a true gamer

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

HallelujahLee posted:

that bill has no chance of passing but its just more insane racism

it doesn't matter that it won't pass, it's about sending a message

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tedsville posted:

Pretty sure TankPosting got TankToasted guys.

lmao spent so much time being a tank guy and didnt think israeli tanks were a piece of poo poo smh

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mdemone posted:

it doesn't matter that it won't pass, it's about sending a message

that the great satan is a genocide supporting shithole yeah we already know that

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If you're in the US, these are your representatives ultracunts.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/6126
https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/2023577?Page=2

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

First the zionists insist that their cause is inextricable from Judaism in a transparent effort to characterize anyone who opposes wholesale slaughter of Palestinians as antisemitic. Then they insist that anyone who opposes their cause is not Jewish. Seems like they’re undermining their efforts to tie genocidal racism to Judaism here, and honestly it seems like a good thing?

Idk I’m just some American jackass, but I welcome any strategic misstep on the part of the murderous psychos in control of Israel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

he just said the US lost the war in iraq :confused:

Muqtada al-Sadr ftw

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Nobody did more for the zionist cause than Adolf Hitler

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

that would be pretty much all of them except for tlaib the only reason the rest of the dem losers didnt vote for this was because they also wanted money for ukraine

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

VoicesCanBe posted:

Being super generous, you could say that they're playing the long game and trying to tie up and attrite Israel's military manpower and resources. More realistic, they're not really coming to the rescue.

In the Houthis we trust.

Israel has very small useful parts of the military besides the air force, so tying them up in the north is useful.

The problem is that Israel’s response to having very small useful parts of the military outside the airforce is to bomb intensively. Hezbollah tying up ground forces does not relieve the problem of Israel bombing Gaza, because Israel being tied up is, in their minds, yet another reason to bomb.

Israel also sees bombing Gaza as the only deterrent they have less. They no longer seem like they would defeat anyone in the region on the ground. They do seem like they would heavily bomb their cities, and nobody has a solution to that.

It’s like the 1930’s idea of strategic bombing, but without any illusion of bringing victory, it’s only about harming civilians as a threat.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

HallelujahLee posted:

that the great satan is a genocide supporting shithole yeah we already know that

Ryan Zinke, he's a special one all right

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mdemone posted:

i dont really care to differentiate between different hitlers op the entire us poltiical and media class as a whole supports the genocide

minus tlaib

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
It's incredibly sad that the media and the US government aren't even doing the "buh? But what if Hamas actually bombed the hospital?" bullshit anymore

Bombing a loving ambulance. Repeat bombing a refugee camp. Imagine those were your kids, or your family. It's horrific

gently caress

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Contrary to the popular narrative of Islam spreading by the sword, the ummayads banned all conversion to Islam expect for Umar 2 and wanted to make Islam an ethno-religion for the Arab conquerors.

A good book on this would be “Black Banners from the East”, about the abbasid revolution

PawParole has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Nov 3, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hezbollah is the Operation Mars to Hamas's Saturn/Uranus

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

death to america

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

HallelujahLee posted:

i dont really care to differentiate between different hitlers op the entire us poltiical and media class as a whole supports the genocide

but none of them can say it out loud that way.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i <3 bjork

https://twitter.com/bjork/status/1720540448383537502

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

it was pretty nice of Israel to leave all the greenery to palestinians though.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mdemone posted:

His surname is pronounced exactly like I imagine an American would pronounce the Danish word for retard.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I love the new gimmick of people posting a "corrected" series of maps

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SplitSoul posted:

His surname is pronounced exactly like I imagine an American would pronounce the Danish word for retard.

why do the danish call you zinke?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/mylarosario/status/1720542022040485958/photo/1

"egypt blocks the straight of Tiran and war breaks out" lol, very interesting way of saying israel attacked egypt

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Israel has very small useful parts of the military besides the air force, so tying them up in the north is useful.

The problem is that Israel’s response to having very small useful parts of the military outside the airforce is to bomb intensively. Hezbollah tying up ground forces does not relieve the problem of Israel bombing Gaza, because Israel being tied up is, in their minds, yet another reason to bomb.

Israel also sees bombing Gaza as the only deterrent they have less. They no longer seem like they would defeat anyone in the region on the ground. They do seem like they would heavily bomb their cities, and nobody has a solution to that.

It’s like the 1930’s idea of strategic bombing, but without any illusion of bringing victory, it’s only about harming civilians as a threat.

I don't think Hezbollah could do that much to the IAF without the US getting involved, but they probably do need to press the ground more if only to acceleration the attrition they are doing to Israeli armor.

Now the Israelis are committed to a ground fight, a lot of is going to depend about having trained crews and fully serviced equipment, Hezbollah would do Hamas a big favor but forcing more armor to be taken from the south.

I do think Hezbollah only by playing by US' rules is going to lead to only a strategic loss, the US sets rules for a reason. I don't know if a huge public speech with a bunch of fanfare was the right call if they aren't going to be stepping up in any real way or allowing the US to dictate the outcome. Hezbollah has the ground capacity to press into the Israelis even if they aren't going to be marching to Tel Aviv.

Also, btw, Hezbollah does have a armor corps, they were using it in Syria. It is mostly T-55/T-72s, but the T-72s specifically probably to match a Merkava with the right upgrades. They don't have a air force, but they have a huge missile/drone corps (which honestly is in some ways replacing traditional strike craft anyway).

They have ways to put a lot of pressure on the Israelis, the question is what is the calibration.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

sleep with the vicious posted:

It's incredibly sad that the media and the US government aren't even doing the "buh? But what if Hamas actually bombed the hospital?" bullshit anymore

Bombing a loving ambulance. Repeat bombing a refugee camp. Imagine those were your kids, or your family. It's horrific

gently caress

It seems like the Israeli and US governments, as well as western media, went all-in on one single incident - the October 17th hospital bombing. That was the one where they threw out a bunch of lies to obscure the obvious reality that Israel bombed it. I guess maybe they felt that was just enough to muddy the waters so their supporters could feel better about it and all subsequent bombings, but yeah there's no longer any effort to hide what's happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I want to attend the Yemeni AK Flag Houthenanny