Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

toadee posted:

Yo I hate to break this to you man but only chronically online people think this way. I know lots of people who play OW, casually but regularly. In a rotation of games with friends. Most peoples reaction to the PvE news was indifference or mild disappointment. They all just keep playing, and having fun. People don't buy cosmetics expecting that to fund some amazing future product, they buy them because they go "oh, I play a lot of Kiriko, and that Kiriko skin looks awsome!". To most people $15-20 is perfectly normal and acceptable for a skin. If a game bothers you this much maybe you should just move on? Lots of us out here just play the game regularly and have fun doing it. When I get tired of it, I play other games for a bit, then I come back when I feel like playing it again. That's how like 99% of people interact with Overwatch.

Yo I hate to break this to you but this is survivor bias in action, OW2 numbers are a pale shadow of what OW once was and you're just hanging it with people who kept playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not saying your experiences aren't valid, just that they're definitely not common, much less universal.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

With all respect I'm pretty tired of pearl-clutching over these tragic exploited consumers who apparently need Sarah McLaughlin to show up next to a picture of battle dot net user 'îSÙÇKF€€T to help them with their helpless addiction to buying kpop skins.

Welcome to capitalism!

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Runa posted:

Yo I hate to break this to you but this is survivor bias in action, OW2 numbers are a pale shadow of what OW once was and you're just hanging it with people who kept playing.

At its height? Sure, but OW1 was more or less dead before the OW2 launch. Talkin 15-20 min queue times for QP on high traffic game days.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

OOoo we're at the "personal responsibility/I'm tired of hearing about this"-point in the convo, following on from classics like how actually 20$ for a skin is perfectly reasonable even if 60 is a bit much, industry standard really, anyway it keeps the lights on, anyway it doesn't bother me. Wonder where it's going to go from here!

LazyMaybe posted:

the frog has been fully loving boiled and it is loving it

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 3, 2023

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I want to play the fun shooty game and i don't know why we are talking about kpop skins.

If I have been boiled, then it is a simmering pot of people who demanded fewer CCs, tanks, healing, 2CP, and other things that made OW interesting compared to other games.

headcase fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 3, 2023

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
pharah halloween wolf howl is a strong contender right out the gate for most annoying voice line and tbh i love it

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rawrbomb posted:

At its height? Sure, but OW1 was more or less dead before the OW2 launch. Talkin 15-20 min queue times for QP on high traffic game days.

If you played tank it was 30 seconds.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

dogstile posted:

If you played tank it was 30 seconds.

Eh, not really. I mostly played flex queued, and was still seeing horrible queue times until OW2 beta kicked off.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
New hero abilities leak

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/17mv0z5/spoilers_new_hero_leak_whole_article_from/

some guy on reddit posted:

[Mauga Enters the Fight in a Limited-Time Trial!
Play Overwatch® 2's newest tank hero Mauga, coming in Season 8, now through November 5.

Mauga is charging his way onto the Battlefield in a trial weekend, available now through Sunday, November 5. Mauga is a powerful, brawling Tank Hero who will tear through the competition with his incendiary and volatile chainguns. keep reading to find out how you can jump into Overwatch® 2 right now and play Mauga this weekend before his full release in Season 8.

Check Out Mauga's Burning New Abilities

Mauga features a kit that is designed to bash through the front lines and brawl his opponents in close-quarter combat, by wielding two powerful Chainguns that can either be fired individually or in unison. Ignite enemies with his Incendiary Chaingun "Gunny" to burn them when they take enough damage, then finish them with a critical hit from his Volatile Chaingun "Cha-Cha." Paired with his Berserker Passive, which grants Mauga temporary health whenever he deals critical damage, he's a mountain on the battlefield.

Mauga's not just a leading star--he also brings a host of new abilities to support his team as well. Mauga can break his way through the front lines with Overrun, a charging ability that cannot be stopped by any crowd control abilities, and stomps into opponents dealing a powerful knockback. When the fight gets intense for his team, he has Cardiac Overdrive to engage both of his hearts and create an aura that reduces incoming damage, allowing allies to heal themselves while dealing damage.

Finally, when he really wants to tango up close with his foes, Mauga can unleash Cage Fight, his ultimate ability. Cage Fight traps nearby opponents in a cylindrical fighting ring. This barrier blocks enemy incoming damage or healing from the outside, forcing those trapped inside to face Mauga with Gunny, Cha Cha, and the barrage of infinite ammunition. If you can't take him down quickly, the last thing you might see is his charming smile.

Play Mauga All Weekend Long

This weekend, Mauga will be available in a limited-time trial. This will be part of the live game and will not require a separate installation or download. Mauga will be available to pick as a Tank hero in all modes except for Competitive Play. No Limits will also be available in the Arcade as a great way for everyone to try out Mauga.

Once the weekend ends, Mauga will return for his official release in Season 8 on Tuesday, December 5. You'll then be able to unlock Mauga immediately when you purchase the Season 8 Premium Battle Pass or unlock Mauga when you reach Tier 45 in the standard Battle Pass.

Hurry, because this party animal won't be around for long. Login and try Mauga now through November 5.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"What if we made Reinhart redundant?"

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"What if we made Reinhart redundant with guns?"

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's funny because this is probably why the Roadhog rework that was originally supposed to go out earlier this week was delayed; not because of technical reasons, but because it would steal Mauga's thunder

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Do we really need to be putting stuff in spoiler tags? Dude will be live in a matter of hours.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I guess I'm just trying to be courteous but I also have to keep in mind everyone in this thread are jaded goons who probably wouldn't care? But eh, it's only a few extra characters to type and an extra tap or mouseover to see, I'd rather just err on the side of using spoiler tags :shobon:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Blizz devs designing new characters:

"Hmm...but how can we make the experience worse for Reinhardt?"

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Official Mauga gameplay reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQfRHycUsmQ

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

5CP Hanamura, lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/playoverwatch/status/1720510120084353195

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

5CP Hanamura, lol

The worst parts of 2CP, was that there was only 2. If you lose fight one, you have to give everything or its a more or less an L. If the team somehow really bum rushed you, you would feel like the game is already over. Having more points was the most common suggestion from the community on how to improve 2CP, ala hybrid.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Looking at the girl on the right and releasing a pack of snarling hounds labeled internet fan artists.

My innate "kill people with a drill" is pretty interested in the dude on the left tho.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s39ARjvpto

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Doomykins posted:

Looking at the girl on the right and releasing a pack of snarling hounds labeled internet fan artists.

My innate "kill people with a drill" is pretty interested in the dude on the left tho.

The thumbnails look like reskins of Zarya and Echo. I could see them reusing the animation rigs for simplicity's sake, but I hope they'll differentiate the outlines better than they did with Ashe.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Mauga's existence is such a gently caress you to Reinhardt

Here, have a 500 hp bastion that can also outrun you

He looks fun though

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

d0grent posted:

He looks fun though

Healing bastion, with two sources of healing (dealing damage to on fire targets, plus the cooldown ability)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

d0grent posted:

He looks fun though

In the couple of games I played against him today, he's not really a shield shredder. His miniguns are only effective with the guaranteed crit modifier, so brig and rein shields feel effective at dealing with him.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

He also has a massive, unprotected hitbox so Ana's are gonna be eating good

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Cage match + Baptiste lamp should make a great combo when you're contesting the payload in overtime.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

He also has a massive, unprotected hitbox so Ana's are gonna be eating good

I wonder how viable a "charge forward and cancel" reaction to sleep is gonna be considering he can't be CC'd (except by another Mauga charge?) while he's charging

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

I wonder how viable a "charge forward and cancel" reaction to sleep is gonna be considering he can't be CC'd (except by another Mauga charge?) while he's charging

It's his only way of covering distance quickly and safely so I think it'll get used as soon as it's off cooldown most of the time.

You definitely could use it to react to sleep if you have it up. That said the better move in his case is probably to just charge at Ana as soon as it's up.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

I'm guessing rein and doom will knock him down with charge. It would be weird if he just sweeps rein out of the way.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

using bastion and mauga ults together is just *chef's kiss*

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

headcase posted:

I'm guessing rein and doom will knock him down with charge. It would be weird if he just sweeps rein out of the way.

No, he is invulnerable from being interrupted.

Edit: I did get rein qued, but not sure if i had finished the charge or not.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 3, 2023

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

What about maugas hitting each other? Now I'm imagining a bumper cars mode

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

imagine four maugas on the edge of a cliff

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

He's currently playable in QP and training mode (until the 5th I believe). Tank queue times are... longer than usual.

Looks like Space Kiriko and a geologist hero who can maybe create temporary tunnels that work like Sym TPs?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

going to put money on Mauga having or getting a "You're Welcome" voiceline.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

going to put money on Mauga having or getting a "You're Welcome" voiceline.

Yup, it's there in the standard "Yes" "No" "Goodbye" comms and he says it with the same intonation.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is the Jet Set Radio character the damage hero, or the support hero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

BabyRyoga posted:

Is the Jet Set Radio character the damage hero, or the support hero?

She's the season 12 support hero. The Zarya-esque hero is "Venture" (not sure if that's a working name or the final name) and they'll reveal more about them on Saturday.

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 5, 2023