Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I ordered my Public Mobile SIM on the 5th, their estimate was that it would deliver yesterday but it still hasn't arrived. Is this the norm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I wouldn't know, I'm still using my Wind Mobile card from 2014 :corsair:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mister Facetious posted:

Are Canadian phone plans starting to get good? Am i missing a hidden catch here? $40/40g 5g, 90 day prepay.

Canada and US data?! Holy poo poo... :eyepop:

Shameless plug: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans?referral=EY23QJ
Huh

I was with public for years and recently jumped ship to Freedom for their cross border plan.

slidebite posted:

So I just discovered something,

I got onto that Freedom deal a few months ago for 40GB Canada/US roaming and notice that it now has 5G.

Not that I'm complaining, but I had no idea. Guess I should turn enable 5G on my phone now. (I turned it off as it supposedly helps with battery life if you don't use it).

Just to be clear: does the new public one include US to Canada roaming calls? I suspect it does but I notice the word Roaming is not used in the offer.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
No, it's data only in the US last I checked. Calls and texts from inside the US are standard roaming rates.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rogers includes calling/text/data in the US in most of their plans now too. I haven't looked at Bell but I assume they're 1:1 there as usual.

It just seems to be the new thing they're adding on to plan refreshes now that they already did 'you have to upgrade to get 'unlimited'', and 'you have to upgrade to get 5G'. Anything to not have to consider actual unlimited data.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I signed up for the Public Mobile Canada-US plan the other day with an eSIM and activated within a few hours, using both voice and data while in the US. I haven't tried to call a Canadian number yet but I could if you want. e: yeah I just tried to call a random automated Canadian number and it worked just fine.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 18, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah if you wouldn't mind :)

Roaming and the ability to call Canada would be really nice. Freedom is ok but if there is a problem they're painful to deal with.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I swear to christ the PM US plan I signed up for last week said it was only data in the US and that roaming rates applied to calls and messaging, but y'all are right, this is in the small print:

⁺⁺Whether in Canada or the US, this plan includes unlimited calling, text, picture and video and messaging to phone numbers within and between Canada and the US. Data can be used in both Canada and the US.

I'll be in OR on the 25th if no one has tested by then.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dillbag posted:

I swear to christ the PM US plan I signed up for last week said it was only data in the US and that roaming rates applied to calls and messaging, but y'all are right, this is in the small print:

⁺⁺Whether in Canada or the US, this plan includes unlimited calling, text, picture and video and messaging to phone numbers within and between Canada and the US. Data can be used in both Canada and the US.

I'll be in OR on the 25th if no one has tested by then.

Upload some pics with your international data! :cheers:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Huh
I'm really interested in switching back. The public/Telus network is good.

When they have the 3-month contract plans listed, is it still a bill paid monthly or do you have to pay it all up front for the 3 months?

Can I use my old public sim that I used up until the spring or will I need to go get a new one?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

Huh
I'm really interested in switching back. The public/Telus network is good.

When they have the 3-month contract plans listed, is it still a bill paid monthly or do you have to pay it all up front for the 3 months?

Can I use my old public sim that I used up until the spring or will I need to go get a new one?

All up front, every 90 days. Not three months. I've been using the same sim since before i joined public Mobile, so there shouldn't be an issue

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you deactivated the sim by porting out or letting the account lapse you probably need to get a new one.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

In Norway for work and boy is it disgusting driving through actual underground tunnels with perfect cell service and back home its just zip almost everywhere despite Bell's coverage map saying its all within service area.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Im in Italy and I paid 8 bucks for 3 gigs for the week and have service pretty much everywhere. I didn't even have to sign a 3 2 year contract!

E: also didn't have to go to a store in the mall to pick up a printout of a QR code for my esim!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Are there any iPhone apps that will show you different carrier signal strengths or is that at a lower level that the applications layer on the phone can’t access it?

Probably not but it would be useful because I’m on Telus and the coverage is dogshit in my area and wondering if Rogers would be any better (doubt it)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

In Norway for work and boy is it disgusting driving through actual underground tunnels with perfect cell service and back home its just zip almost everywhere despite Bell's coverage map saying its all within service area.

Bell doesn't even have service inside the larger Loblaws buildings :lol::lol:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay but most Loblaws are bigger than Norway.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

FYI Public Mobile says the US plan deal ends Oct 23, but they also said it would end two weeks ago so :shrug:

Texting, calling and data roaming on TMobile are all fine. They haven't complained about activating and using it within the US (I've heard Google Fi complains if you roam internationally for too long).

If you don't actually go to the US much I see they also have a 3GB/15 day US roaming addon for 25 points ($25), which is a ripoff compared to esims like airalo but if you need to keep your number on a two week trip, it could be worse.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Public Mobile roaming plan report: had to set phone to only connect LTE, I.e. turn off 5G, on both an iPhone and an Android in order to get a data connectio in California. Otherwise, the LTE connection on my Samsung would continually flash on and off and would never connect. I assume the same thing was happening on my wife's iPhone. Partner network was AT&T.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I couldn’t find a thread about it so I’ll ask here.

Does anyone still do deals on home internet or is it just a get hosed and take it thing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

There will probably be deals at fido and virgin home internet on us Black Friday weekend this month. They’ve agreed to compete for new customers on that day for wireless last year and will probably go buck wild this year with a bundle deal

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

sbaldrick posted:

I couldn’t find a thread about it so I’ll ask here.

Does anyone still do deals on home internet or is it just a get hosed and take it thing.

Do you mean cellular internet specifically or just generally?

There's a thread. It's pretty dead because no, there aren't many deals, TekSavvy is for sale and the other independent ISPs were bought up by the big 3. The best you can do is check through RedFlagDeals' forums, there's usually a thread where people report getting discounts by calling customer retention lines but even that is dicey.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The last big deal was the booth at the CNE in August. They were signing up people for bell 1 gig Fibe for $50/mo IIRC. Actually caused momentary competition in the market place with others (rogers/etc) to offer the same deal for like a day or two. Then the cne ended and so did the deals.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't know how the hell it continues happening, but freedom hosed up on my auto pay *again*
Literally the third time since July.

Done with this poo poo.

As soon as public has another one of those promos that includes Canada US calling, I'm all over it. I don't even care about 5g.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

I don't know how the hell it continues happening, but freedom hosed up on my auto pay *again*
Literally the third time since July.

Done with this poo poo.

As soon as public has another one of those promos that includes Canada US calling, I'm all over it. I don't even care about 5g.

$60/60gb (90 day pre-pay):

Referral link: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans?referral=EY23QJ

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not bad, but I'd rather something more like this 40/40 as the 60GB does nothing for me

BUT
If nothing else is launched before the end of the month and I renew, I might just cancel it and do that 60 instead.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Public Mobile has $34 for 20gb data with 4g speeds over 5G connection right now. All the other flankers are doing 20gb for $39.

https://subscribe.publicmobile.ca/en/on/activation/plans/20GB-4Gspeed4

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Actual good news for poor people that still qualify for assistance:

https://apple.news/AwsL-snQrRGacCHxQSODehA
(Financial Post)

quote:

Rogers launches mobile plans for low-income Canadians

> The program, launched on Nov. 7, offers a no-cost smartphone device with a 5G mobile plan for $25 a month on a two-year agreement, and joins already existing programs of standalone internet and TV bundles for low-income earners.

> The plan includes three gigabytes of 5G data and either a Samsung Galaxy A14 or Motorola G 5G, which cost over $350 by themselves, at no-cost for a 24-month term. At the end of the two-year term, the customer owns the phone.

> There will be no overage charges

> Rogers said it estimates 2.5 million Canadians will be eligible for the program.
>
> It said this includes: people who receive provincial income support or disability benefits; seniors receiving the federal guaranteed income supplement; rent-geared-to-income (RGI) tenants of a non-profit housing partner organization; recipients of the federal Resettlement Assistance Program; and families receiving the Maximum Canada Child Benefit through Connecting Families.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Risky Bisquick posted:

Public Mobile has $34 for 20gb data with 4g speeds over 5G connection right now. All the other flankers are doing 20gb for $39.

https://subscribe.publicmobile.ca/en/on/activation/plans/20GB-4Gspeed4

Does anyone know if switching to these new PM plans forces you to their new reward system too with the “PM points” rather than just getting direct reductions in your monthly bill?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shofixti posted:

Does anyone know if switching to these new PM plans forces you to their new reward system too with the “PM points” rather than just getting direct reductions in your monthly bill?

I'm still using the original loyalty discount system ($1/referral, $1/yr, $3 for autopay, iirc). Obv new customers will be opted into their newer system, but you get ten bucks off the first month with the referral code :-/, and there's some incentive system for being active and helpful on their forums.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 8, 2023

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I hope ai or just a maniac with cudgel can finally, entirely kill off the mba wet dream of incentivized gamified unpaid support forum posting. That awful idea has been alive too long.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

I hope ai or just a maniac with cudgel can finally, entirely kill off the mba wet dream of incentivized gamified unpaid support forum posting. That awful idea has been alive too long.

Reddit isn't going away any time soon, op

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Shofixti posted:

I've upgraded plans like 4 times this year and I'm still on the old one with all my old discounts.

The extra data buckets I was awarded from events/outages/loyalty is no longer usable on my new plans, but they're still on my account if I ever drop back to an old plan, and now I have like 40GB a month and will never need those buckets anyway.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tbooth Wireless offering 75gb for $50 at a mall in London. Dunno how that compares to anyone else, but it sounds good

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Public black friday deals

20GB 5G @ $34

30GB 5G @ $40

Both Canada wide (no US)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fido is offering me 50gbeees for $40 as an existing customer. And a $0 per month over two years Pixel 7 if I want to lock in. Also $40 off per month for various Samsung 23 models.

If that’s the extent of their back Friday madness. Boo. I was riding so high on my $25 /20gb line that expires in Feb and just hoped to get more of the same not a massive shove up the arpu ladder.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Don't know if it's a black friday deal but I just checked my Koodo account and they are offering me a 100Gb 5g plan with Canada/US calling, data and texting for $60/month.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From Rogers in Quebec, I'm seeing $60 a month for 100gb Infinite Premium (Data/text/calling in US and Mexico) for 2 years. Goes up to $65 after.

I'm a preferred eligible account, but on a regular consumer plan currently so I don't think that factors in.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Squibbles posted:

Don't know if it's a black friday deal but I just checked my Koodo account and they are offering me a 100Gb 5g plan with Canada/US calling, data and texting for $60/month.

They texted me that a couple days back and it's not ever called a Black Friday deal but 'tis the season.

Didn't go for it but this thread did make me check the offers on Koodo and I upgraded my plan. Mostly because this whole time I only was on 4G?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fido silently, and for free I hope, pushed me into visual voicemail and now I look forward to Chinese scam calls due to my stinky.

Isn’t there some hefty patent royalty to be paid to apple for this alien tech? Or is the iPhone now so old that the patent expired along with the rounded corners on ui elements one.