Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I'm 37 and my retirement would already be better than some of them.
nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

when my grandfather was alive, he asked his daughter, my aunt, what her retirement plan was, being a then-50-something waitress. she held up her pack of smokes and said "you're looking at it"

she's still very much alive and i don't know what she does for money

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Spends a lot more on cigarettes for one

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Spends a lot more on cigarettes for one

Can spend a lot less if you roll your own, which was what I did prior to quitting (okay I still smoke maybe one a week shut up)

can have filters and everything, and in my experience they taste better than prepackaged cigarettes

but any time I've tried to convince a smoker to switch over to rollies they are fuckin impossible about it. complain about the taste, complain about having to roll em, complain about everything! you can get a carton's worth for like 5-10 bux (labeled as "pipe tobacco" now, presumably to avoid taxes on cigarette tobacco here in the US. but look for the stuff clearly cut like cigarette tobacco)

it's so much cheaper that there is no excuse for brand loyalty here

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
My friend rolls his own. Has a little machine for it.

Uses the cheapest pipe tobacco lol. Doesn't seem to bother him but I think he's used to it at this point

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Just smoke weed like an adult

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I have my greatgrandfather's cigar maker from when he sold Cubans door to door in like 1920. Unfortunately I have no idea how it works or if you can adjust it for cigarettes.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
growing ditchweed & ditch tobacco together in a flowerpot

not really going so great

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SniperWoreConverse posted:

growing ditchweed & ditch tobacco together in a flowerpot

not really going so great

plant some shroom spores in the same pot, invent your own three sisters farming method

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Telltolin posted:

Can spend a lot less if you roll your own, which was what I did prior to quitting (okay I still smoke maybe one a week shut up)

can have filters and everything, and in my experience they taste better than prepackaged cigarettes

but any time I've tried to convince a smoker to switch over to rollies they are fuckin impossible about it. complain about the taste, complain about having to roll em, complain about everything! you can get a carton's worth for like 5-10 bux (labeled as "pipe tobacco" now, presumably to avoid taxes on cigarette tobacco here in the US. but look for the stuff clearly cut like cigarette tobacco)

it's so much cheaper that there is no excuse for brand loyalty here

doesn’t cigarette tobacco burn much quicker? dad used to smoke a pipe and it was absolutely disgusting being in the car with him puffing away

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

PerniciousKnid posted:

I have my greatgrandfather's cigar maker from when he sold Cubans door to door in like 1920. Unfortunately I have no idea how it works or if you can adjust it for cigarettes.

dont bother adjusting it, just start rolling your own cigars and smoking them

i cant help you with the "I have no idea how it works" part though but i believe in you

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I've known pipe tobacco was vastly cheaper for a while now and just figured out that delta-8 distillate is legal for purchase so I've combined those and effectively stay high as poo poo for an average of like eight bux a week. God bless drugs and the 2018 Farm Bill, signed into law by a man who I guarantee you did not know this would be a consequence of it

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/4285651-maine-electrical-utility-public-ownership-question-three-ballot-initiative/

quote:

Maine residents are set to vote next week on a ballot initiative that would make the state the first with a publicly owned electric utility governed by an elected board.

Proponents say the initiative could chart a new path forward for utilities, increasing local control of something that profoundly affects people’s lives and reducing service interruptions in Maine, which leads the nation in frequency of power outages.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Tiggum posted:

Sorry, what? Can you explain this slowly and simply for me because I don't get it. If you're sharing tips with other employees then surely it only "costs" you a proportion of whatever the amount of the tip was, so no tip would mean no cost, right? If you're required to pay the other employees regardless of whether you were tipped or not or how much, that does sound like it would be illegal? Your employer can't require employees to pay each other. :confused:

i'm sure it's "illegal" in the sense that it defies labour laws but we're also legally entitled to breaks and a harassment-free work environment but that poo poo doesn't happen either

fibblins posted:

lol if your retirement plan isn't dropping dead at 62

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's really bad is the awful AI upscaling on that photo. Holy poo poo, does it look horrendous!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

is this like a bank that proudly redlines properties or something

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think that is literally a Nazi bank

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
yes, and on their founder's instagram they claim to offer loans at up to 1% lower interest rates by not meeting regulatory burdens required of banks

so it's not just a nazi bank, it's an illegal nazi bank

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

yes, and on their founder's instagram they claim to offer loans at up to 1% lower interest rates by not meeting regulatory burdens required of banks

so it's not just a nazi bank, it's an illegal nazi bank

Banks are pretty regulated with actual audits and stuff in USA too, right? This seems like a terrible thing to advertise. Especially since systemic racism probably makes a racist bank more profitable by default.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

banks are regulated in the sense that the gov gives them free money when they want it

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i've started saving for retirement now that I touch computers all day and it's both weird and frustrating to know that I'm basically throwing money I could be spending now that'll only lose more and more value as inflation keeps happening, but also that it's the best bet if I don't want to be living on peanuts when I'm old and dying (over 40)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

euphronius posted:

I think that is literally a Nazi bank

bcci

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cricket in india?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tokin opposition posted:

i've started saving for retirement now that I touch computers all day and it's both weird and frustrating to know that I'm basically throwing money I could be spending now that'll only lose more and more value as inflation keeps happening, but also that it's the best bet if I don't want to be living on peanuts when I'm old and dying (over 40)
well you're outpacing inflation via the savings, is the goal (this is why you put it all in stocks because the rich will not let their money rot to inflation)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

go maine! my small town in iowa had its own electic utility and the rates were great, and profits genuinely went into keeping that dying place alive since it's both old as hell and is shedding population to cities. the city ran every utility except for natural gas and it was fantastic. public utilities for all, i say

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

go maine! my small town in iowa had its own electic utility and the rates were great, and profits genuinely went into keeping that dying place alive since it's both old as hell and is shedding population to cities. the city ran every utility except for natural gas and it was fantastic. public utilities for all, i say

But... but number!?!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

no way

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

https://youtu.be/Ft5KtV2o0bw?si=l_4lRP4JTndu8tL_

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

sure why not

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can think of at least 100 to 200 things that AI could do that are way scarier than that

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I can think of at least 100 to 200 things that AI could do that are way scarier than that

same but they're all writing ratfic

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

that got a genuine guffaw out of me. it’s so incredibly stupid. oh my. lmao.

but the greatest thing about it is how seriously it will be taken by so, so many people.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
fun fact yudkowsky actually accepts all of the dumbest premises of roko's basilisk, he just doesn't think anyone who posts on his forums is important enough to be reverse causality blackmailed by a benevolent AI

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

this is only a danger if a second virus grows a wifi antenna in your arm to get the bitcoins back out

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Coolness Averted posted:

fun fact yudkowsky actually accepts all of the dumbest premises of roko's basilisk, he just doesn't think anyone who posts on his forums is important enough to be reverse causality blackmailed by a benevolent AI

I thought bc of the spurious nature of the theory they're all being tortured in the right now future and don't know it

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

tokin opposition posted:

lol a retirement isn't going to save you from crop failures

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

BUUNNI posted:

lol a retirement isn't going to save you from crop failures

that's why im fat duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Saraiguma posted:

I thought bc of the spurious nature of the theory they're all being tortured in the right now future and don't know it
Nah, threat is that the copy is so good you can't tell that you're not the copy, so the torture might start at any second. I explained the stupid premise behind it more fully in the Idiots on Social Media thread.