Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

bike tory posted:

It's not about the sample being so robust to begin with, it's about them identifying the difference between their sample and the actual population, and consequently how they shift the results of their poll.

Like if they know their sample had more white boomer men than the general population they'd probably assume their sample had overstated support for National and would adjust their results accordingly.

It's this, and because polling is done by for profit businesses their manipulations of the data is proprietary. My uni stats was enough to make me completely distrustful of the process as I just don't see these companies as uninterested third parties. To me, it's marketing using stats for legitimacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Content to Hover posted:

I just don't see these companies as uninterested third parties. To me, it's marketing using stats for legitimacy.

This is true but the profit incentive isn't to distort the results. The news pollsters do it for marketing purposes because it generates interest and clicks and poo poo, so there's no incentice to distort results. The party pollsters are paid to be accurate because the parties need to know how they're doing, and the results get released or "leaked" when they show something that the party likes.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

bike tory posted:

This is true but the profit incentive isn't to distort the results. The news pollsters do it for marketing purposes because it generates interest and clicks and poo poo, so there's no incentice to distort results. The party pollsters are paid to be accurate because the parties need to know how they're doing, and the results get released or "leaked" when they show something that the party likes.

I think we basically agree. The profit incentive is to produce results your client can use. Opinion polling influences elections. Not every poll that is taken is released. Polls are usually via mobile phone or mobile/online. Heavy weighting is needed for the resulting data. So a company that does not provide a useful narrative isn't financially viable.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

exmarx posted:

i'll be voting exclusively for waterfowl again 👍

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Fair warning, I'm keeping track of usernames and will be passing a list onto my Kea contacts. You're bringing it on yourselves.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Oh does Bird of the Century use Single Transferable Vote? Very progressive.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Phil Twyford tried to speak at the rally in support of Gaza this arvo and got booed and shouted off the stage.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Ingrid leary the labour mp for dunedin didn't get booed off stage but there were plenty of heckles.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 4, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Content to Hover posted:

Fair warning, I'm keeping track of usernames and will be passing a list onto my Kea contacts. You're bringing it on yourselves.

I serve the white wolf, your birds hold no fear for me

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I serve the white wolf, your birds hold no fear for me

yes we know you love the devastation of native wildlife by domestic animals

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

I don't know what's happening in this pic but Winnie looks v uncomfortable lol

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

He is looking very old and tired.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Some loving psychopaths were driving around, launching fireworks at the street cackling at the top of their lungs. Cool holiday letting anyone buy projectile explosives, love it.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I fuckin hate fireworks now. Some rear end in a top hat/s in our neighbourhood buy them this time of year, then randomly for the next 6 months let one or two off between 10.30 and 2am. No one knows who it is or where exactly they are even doing it but it's enough to wake all the kids, dogs and anyone else around. I genuinely hope one of them blows their hands off or something.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Some loving psychopaths were driving around, launching fireworks at the street cackling at the top of their lungs. Cool holiday letting anyone buy projectile explosives, love it.

Some dumbasses let off a bunch at the rally today too, right after Phil Twyford got booed off the stage and the police had to come and save him from getting beaten up.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
What was Twyford saying that got him booed?

Also gently caress celebrating that a king didn't die lol loving cucks

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i celebrate the death of a monarch the same way every true blue kiwi celebrates: excessive binge drinking

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

big glad my religious monarchy didn't get blown up and replaced by a religious monarchy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One of them even landed in a bush next to me, but thankfully didn't explode.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

SirSamVimes posted:

One of them even landed in a bush next to me, but thankfully didn't explode.

a monarchy?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

klen dool posted:

What was Twyford saying that got him booed?

Also gently caress celebrating that a king didn't die lol loving cucks

It wasn't like he said anything wrong, it was just the vibes of what he was saying were way too cautious and both sides-y. He failed to read the room and match the tenor of the other speeches, at a point where people are already rightly very angry over Labour's silence for the last four weeks.

There were heckles from the moment he got up on stage and while he was setting out his credentials working at Oxfam and poo poo, but when he started talking about the conflict he opened by condemning Hamas first, then the IDF. Someone in the crowd shouted out "but do you condemn the occupation?" and that set people off.

If anyone from Labour wants to speak they need to take a way more unequivocal stance on Palestinian statehood, probably open by calling it a genocide, and not mention Hamas.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Gotcha, make sense, I probably could have guessed that lol

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

It wasn't like he said anything wrong, it was just the vibes of what he was saying were way too cautious and both sides-y. He failed to read the room and match the tenor of the other speeches, at a point where people are already rightly very angry over Labour's silence for the last four weeks.

Yeah, I don't think he was booed for anything he actually said. But more as the Labour representative and Hipkins weak statements on it over the last week.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
So, the Pūteketeke just had a feature on Last Week Tonight.

https://www.votethisbird.com/

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i haven't watched that but i assume it explained why there was a truck billboard parked on the south bank in london campaigning for the puteketeke last week?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

yes they advertised for it all over the world

it's a good bird but gently caress seppos and big money interfering in our elections

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

bike tory posted:

yes they advertised for it all over the world

it's a good bird but gently caress seppos and big money interfering in our elections

i thought it was cute when i saw the billboard but now i'm getting angrier and angrier the more i think about it. this MF has like 10 million viewers or whatever, all americans with no concept of the nz bird situation in full. and what are they gonna do, disqualify the puteketeke? that's hosed too. the bird deserves a fair chance. this john oliver poo poo is giving me serious ringburn. right now my rear end is bruned.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i'm not done. john oliver needs to stick to buying medical debt and ripping on evil poo poo. this bird vote is a good fair thing and he's loving it up. look at the site. other bird campaign leads are like schoolchildren and poo poo. he's like gavin newsom clotheslining that chinese youth on the b-ball court. this ain't cute. stick to nasal monologues about monsanto. gently caress with the GMO corn futures market or something not nz bird of the century. this is burning my rear end. this MF played "dick pants" in the love guru. go back to NBC community with this poo poo.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

he actually joked about that on his show. The winner last year got like 3500 votes. So this is absolutely going to work, it's not even really a competition anymore

I'm in two minds about it though. The point is to raise awareness of conservation issues, and it'll certainly help with that. But also he's ruining the competition for a dumb joke, and raising awareness among a group of people who actually don't give a gently caress.

He'd at least better drop a big donation on forest and bird afterwards or something.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

seppos just cannot stop themselves from interfering with an election. it's a cultural thing

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
john oliver doing epic bird memes to distract from his support of genocide in gaza ftw :D

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

they ask for donations when you vote, so if he gets more people donating that's a good thing. which bird actually wins doesn't really matter, it's just for fun

gently caress him for supporting israel though

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
It's a sham bird election that let a bat win, and with the elevated stakes of "bird of the century", there's been no mention of the Black Robin, a bird that returned from the brink of death with just 5 remaining, all subsequent birds born of just a single breeding pair. Foreign interference doesn't really mean much.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Drake no: actual elections
Drake yes: bird elections

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
come at me you show hosting bastard

and bucky dude go vote for the black robin and get your JO buds to do it too. it's on the list.

Also: is seppo new? Nobody ever called me that. I like it, even though I would consider John Oliver more of a pom than a seppo.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Wafflecopper posted:

which bird actually wins doesn't really matter, it's just for fun

hosed if true

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I think if he wants to donate he should just do that and leave us and our sweet little competition alone

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i think it's okay to gently caress up a local competition but imo it would have been more polite to wait for a non-century year so that his fuckery was contained to only a single year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Just watched the segment, and it was legitimately loving hilarious.

Hopefully it'll get more donations in, too.