Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Most of them left the country, it was obviously the right call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

Do you think Australia chose the Croatians, or were they assigned them?

was wondering about that! my childhood neighbours was a Yugoslavian Croat family. I remember them being absolutely massive, the teen son would have to stoop to get beneath the house.

Endman posted:

Down here in Australia’s Deep South we had loads of Polish soldiers settle after WW2, but I think they’re mostly cool and they built a cool Tobruk memorial, rather than anything fashy.

I think my friend is the daughter of some of those guys. never investigated what their politics were like but at the start of the Ukraine war, the mother said that she was completely opposed to accepting Ukrainians into Poland because she would never be able to forgive the poo poo they did to them in WW2 so they're probably not gallacian paychos.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's so over

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1720607177180688865?t=egINDrU92KykPAhbeKVqJg&s=19

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

They're definitely running out of weapons with Israel front

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
post the image

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

:rip:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

I lol every time

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

sum posted:

This was a stat from the Zaluzhny article that not a lot of people brought up. The average age of a Ukrainian soldier is 43. That's older than the Home Guard ("Dad's Army"), and probably within the ballpark for the Volkssturm (although I can't find good statistics for it). Moreover, according to UN population statistics it's even older than the average Ukrainian male aged 18-60 (41.6). It's really hard to find precedents for armies that are this old.

I wish for the Ukrainian army to be the most advanced in the world

monkey paw curls

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

its incredible how early on this image was made. somehow the pattern is obvious to everyone but the guy america's currently doing it to

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Like clockwork

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Frosted Flake posted:

Even their most soy soldiers are Nazis

Fuuck I now need to read the media literacy thread in shame, because I totally did not see that ... lmao god drat

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, that article is making a claim that the Russians, because they can only produce 2 million shells a year, and since they fired 10 million over the last year, they will have to come to the table. Even if you accept 2 million and assume the Russians can’t ramp up any further, the North Koreans alone are handing them 350,000 a month. It seems like 6.2 million shells a year would be enough to keep the war going even according to their stats.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Nov 4, 2023

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I still have a visceral, bannable reaction to nazis flaunting their disgusting poo poo

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Ardennes posted:

Also, that article is making a claim that the Russians because they can only produce 2 million shells a year, and since they fired 10 million over the last year, they will have to come to the table. Even if you accept 2 million and assume the Russians can’t ramp up any further, the North Koreans alone are handing them 350,000 a month. It seems like 6.2 million shells a year would be enough to keep the war going even according to their stats.

Low effort

Completely correct, I just wanna point out that it's a funny case of neolib brain also.
Coz no one ever would increase their production capacity, right? Right???

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

lol this is 100% the Biden admin leaking a story out there to test the waters on the public response. They really are looking for a way out.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

I've probably seen this image 100 times and it's hilarious every time

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Also, that article is making a claim that the Russians, because they can only produce 2 million shells a year, and since they fired 10 million over the last year, they will have to come to the table. Even if you accept 2 million and assume the Russians can’t ramp up any further, the North Koreans alone are handing them 350,000 a month. It seems like 6.2 million shells a year would be enough to keep the war going even according to their stats.

It’s impossible for one of the world’s largest suppliers of steel, aluminum, fertilizer and wax to make things out of steel, aluminum, fertilizer and wax because we placed sanctions that say they can’t sell them to us. Why would they make more of something if they can’t sell it? If they can’t sell it, it means it’s not profitable. Things are only made if they are profitable so it’s impossible for them to make more.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The spirit of Osama bin Laden has such kind eyes. He understands. It's okay Zelensky we've all been there. Come join us here.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

you can just let go. it's that easy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s impossible for one of the world’s largest suppliers of steel, aluminum, fertilizer and wax to make things out of steel, aluminum, fertilizer and wax because we placed sanctions that say they can’t sell them to us. Why would they make more of something if they can’t sell it? If they can’t sell it, it means it’s not profitable, so it’s impossible for them to make more.

It is just even in terms of their own propaganda it isn’t tenable. Either way, the Russians have almost certainly more than 2 million a year in shell production, it is too low looking at their active factories.

The North Koreans are obviously helping them out by filling in any gap and probably allowing them to either maintain or increase their stockpile but either way this war is just going to keep on going.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s impossible for one of the world’s largest suppliers of steel, aluminum, fertilizer and wax to make things out of steel, aluminum, fertilizer and wax because we placed sanctions that say they can’t sell them to us. Why would they make more of something if they can’t sell it? If they can’t sell it, it means it’s not profitable. Things are only made if they are profitable so it’s impossible for them to make more.

"Sanctions" is also a magical spell chanted by the cargo cult fail kid leaders now in charge of Western strategy. How does it actually work? Who knows! But the fancy book and that smart university person back in first year polsci were very confident in it simply working by default.

"I cast a sanctions on thee", as I flick my licensed replica Harry Potter wand at the globe in the corner of my office. Satisfied my magical curse is in place and primacy is thus assured I settle back with a local craft bewery IPA.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

VoicesCanBe posted:

I've probably seen this image 100 times and it's hilarious every time

I've probably posted this image 100 times and it still makes me lol

They are all just so welcoming!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

quote:

Capacity for Private Ownership. Before a good can have value, it must be capable of private ownership. Value in an economic sense thus assumes the social institution of private rights in property. The value of a good means value to an individual who has or may have an ownership interest in it. A good has economic value only if its attributes of utility and scarcity can be exploited by exercising the power of ownership through exclusive use or sale.

:capitalism:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

its incredible how early on this image was made. somehow the pattern is obvious to everyone but the guy america's currently doing it to

yeah it truly is. and we can use the image template for the next conflict as well!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

sum posted:

This was a stat from the Zaluzhny article that not a lot of people brought up. The average age of a Ukrainian soldier is 43. That's older than the Home Guard ("Dad's Army"), and probably within the ballpark for the Volkssturm (although I can't find good statistics for it). Moreover, according to UN population statistics it's even older than the average Ukrainian male aged 18-60 (41.6). It's really hard to find precedents for armies that are this old.

That's average. There's 50 and 60 year olds running around.

Which isn't too crazy. The average US fighter pilot is early 50's and you can serve in the US military until 62. But those dudes aren't randos off the street.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Peace negotiations? With RUSSIA?!?! That's tankie talk...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Behold. The face of victory.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

some disgruntled staffer should slip this into Z's daily briefing material, as a practical joke

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Oh my.

Libs are really upset about their "good" war possibly ending with horrific damage done to Ukraine (millions now refugees in other countries, 100,000+ casualties, economy non-existant, 20% of land gone, etc, etc).

And they know that some people are pointing out that Ukraine could have gone for negotiations when this whole thing started and avoided a lot of that horrible death and suffering.

So they are crafting their defense of their position that Ukrainian death was actually a worthy thing, and they are good for having supported it.

In a certain place it's actually being argued that Ukrainians had a choice between war and genocide. And of course, war was the only path.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Things are looking worse for Ukraine, with support waning. NATO dithered and waffled when a lightning fast and very strong response was required to deter Russia from further war waging and mass massacres and war crimes.

It was obvious to anyone with half a brain. The kindest possible interpretation would be that NATO overestimated Ukraine and thought that they could win with much less than was actually required. My interpretation is much less kind. I see cowardice and stupidity. I see fecklessness. And now here we are, in an avoidable situation that wasn't avoided. It's heartbreaking.

fizzier
Oct 29, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The problem is, once again, the loving Republicans, holding the entire goddamn government hostage over their right to destroy the entire goddamn government...and Ukraine as well. Helped along by every useful idiot who would ever prevaricate between the parties, both domestically and to this conflict.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

Oh my.

Libs are really upset about their "good" war possibly ending with horrific damage done to Ukraine (millions now refugees in other countries, 100,000+ casualties, economy non-existant, 20% of land gone, etc, etc).

And they know that some people are pointing out that Ukraine could have gone for negotiations when this whole thing started and avoided a lot of that horrible death and suffering.

So they are crafting their defense of their position that Ukrainian death was actually a worthy thing, and they are good for having supported it.

In a certain place it's actually being argued that Ukrainians had a choice between war and genocide. And of course, war was the only path.

Some blood and soil slogans ought to do it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Officer Sandvich posted:

My interpretation is much less kind.
nah, your interpretation is correct. while the type of people that are balls deep into the MIC are incredibly stupid and myopic, there's no way that even the dumbest bolton guy thought that they were actually going to "win" with a couple of himars, f16, leopards, or shadow strikes or whatever the latest wunderwaffen miltech de jour was.

even most liberals with multiple flag emojis were all about a new foreverwar to "give em a bloody nose!" as the narrative, as if it was just a game to some highschool bully trauma they experienced.

the reality is lives of the imperial periphery are cheap and dime a dozen. US has no concern for that, it was about trying to prop up a foreverwar to mire down the east and reinforce global faith (amongst western liberals) in nato as an Institution of Good, a shining city on the hill. The west really only has a few objectives:

- Restablish faith in the western masses that America Is Good; The Jedi against the evil Sith; the Marvels against the big bad orc thanos; the Griffyndors against the dastardly horde Slitherin.
- Keep UA as an resource colony for cheap raw materials to exploit
- Try to re-establish shock therapy era over Russia as a big ol' Chevron Gas Station

the lives and well-being of the working class masses never entered into the equation anywhere whatsoever

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Nov 4, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

fizzier posted:

The problem is, once again, the loving Republicans, holding the entire goddamn government hostage over their right to destroy the entire goddamn government...and Ukraine as well. Helped along by every useful idiot who would ever prevaricate between the parties, both domestically and to this conflict.

yeah blaming the Republicans(and the tankies!) will probably be the way forward for them. at no point will they do any sort of self reflection, try to understand why they were/are wrong or do better for the next conflict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

fizzier posted:

Maybe if the Democrats weren't so pathetic and weak they could actually get something done when they control the government.

But they never will. They are happy the Republicans are there to foil them (because Democrats want the same exact lovely things the Republicans want).