Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (March 22-24, 1943)

Strong Junji Ito vibes from this one, especially how the winter clothes just sort of merge with the tree.

We Are Reproducing

A reminder that there was a very brief window in the early 90’s where flip-up sunglasses were kind of cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Giant Ethicist posted:

Strong Junji Ito vibes from this one, especially how the winter clothes just sort of merge with the tree.

We Are Reproducing

A reminder that there was a very brief window in the early 90’s where flip-up sunglasses were kind of cool.

You can buy them again from Pit Viper.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

It's weird that they gave Kit a beard but kept him short. With the Phantom leaning over him like that it makes him look five foot even.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Childbirth Looms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlPBc252oQ

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Some Guy TT posted:

While the thread seems to be erring on the side of his being dangerous all along, I'm not actually seeing very much in the text to support this.

I don't think he's dangerous but I think it's very obvious somebody could not want to spend their life with him.

Last two strips have been pretty wild with the camper and Andy art. I'm impressed that even with a more complex art style that Jules is dramatically lazier or at least on par with scribble doodler artists in the funny pages.

Oh, and I'm not surprised or impressed that she went for the laziest, stupidest resolution possible again. That's how you set up and resolve mysteries. You get one going and then you change scenes and instantly solve it, just like the last two dogshit bad set ups.

quote:

Mary Worth

Keith is about to cross Mary Worth. The last mistake he'll ever make.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (January 9-14, 2004)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Savarna is looking a little off-model there

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
She just got an acute case of Dreamworks Face, it's fine.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EBB posted:

Not just Savarna. For the last couple of days the Phantom art has looked kind of wonky to me.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Not just Savarna. For the last couple of days the Phantom art has looked kind of wonky to me.

Some of it looks like clip art -- as has been pointed out, the Phantom and Kit look out of scale with each other.

Pogo 9/24-26/51

Albert is mangling Evelyn Beatrice Hall, although everyone thinks Voltaire said it.

Archie 8/16-18/48

And welcome to the thread a pure strain of corny 50's astro-optimism: Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 9/10-12/51!

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

EBB posted:

According to the Comics Kingdom comments, Manley is out sick. So these are from some fill in artist.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Giant Ethicist posted:

There's a Technicolor edit from the first time this appeared several threads back that I haven't been able to find again. It was a lovely effort that it doesn't look like I saved.

Our Boarding House (October 16-18, 1924)

Out Our Way: The School Ma'am Saga (October 18, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (December 29-31, 1921)

Dok's "We Won't Go Until We Get Some" Duck (December 25, 1914)

Little Lefty (May 22-24, 1939)

Sure, of course I remember Uncle John. But who the hell's the skinny guy?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Go ahead. Send him to school with welts all over his face. The first teacher who sees him will ask what happened to him and he will say some variation of "My dad kept hitting me with a pickleball." I'm sure it will go fantastic.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Forgot I was posting Mary Worth '99.

Something about a TV station, the boss there being forced by his sister to give his niece a job in the news department there, and then this guy but you should get the gist of that from these.

Belmont, can't you see that I love you!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
anyone else remember the goon who had comics with the text bubbles empty, and had his ESL students fill them in with their own stories? 99 mary worth is ripe for that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

I'm going out of town for ~a week, so comics are on pause until I get back.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ah, is this why there's a robot student you see sometimes in Bad Machinery?

Selachian posted:

And welcome to the thread a pure strain of corny 50's astro-optimism: Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 9/10-12/51!

I'm looking forward to it!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"I'm a liar who was going to scam you useless rubes" is a hell of a sales pitch.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 01, 2001)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

catlord posted:

Ah, is this why there's a robot student you see sometimes in Bad Machinery?

...Well, now I need to go back through all of Bad Machinery to make some connections here.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Lynn projecting her lovely motherhood aside, John's right. There's nothing finer when you're a broke college student than getting a sudden "you can financially breathe for a couple weeks" cheque in the mail from people who love you.

Unfortunately for my interpretation of this strip, Lynn Johnston hates her family, so it can't be that.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 4, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kazinsal posted:

...Well, now I need to go back through all of Bad Machinery to make some connections here.

Just showed up in the background, early on I think. When Bad Machinery was being posted the first time around I remember there were some questions and we got a shrug and "well, it's normal for Tackleford."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

catlord posted:

Just showed up in the background, early on I think. When Bad Machinery was being posted the first time around I remember there were some questions and we got a shrug and "well, it's normal for Tackleford."

I'm looking forward to the next year and a half of posting SGR because it'll really explain what "normal for Tackleford" means.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Computoon: Origins

She clearly isn't! :argh:

Plus italics lean the other way!! :argh: :argh:

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

What

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

boyce

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

What

Charles Boyce is a man whose brain is kept functioning by the fact that for the past 25 years, he hasn't stopped having a stroke.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Charles Boyce's brain: ahh yes this makes perfect sense to anyone, megabart compuster e-mel.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

What
when you look at them from her perspective it's the right way

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doomykins posted:

lol what. It'd be dorky and sweet if the author actually got the OK from her, otherwise it's just extra dorky.
At least when the Dick Tracy team did it they made it an obvious stand-in rather than actually using a real person's name.

Some Guy TT posted:

While the thread seems to be erring on the side of his being dangerous all along, I'm not actually seeing very much in the text to support this. The liability line, the daughter being able to find him at all, and her surprise at his initial hostile reaction all seem to point to her actually having had an overall positive opinion of him except when it comes to this one specific issue.
I don't know about dangerous but it definitely seemed like he'd always been an arsehole and the mother just didn't want anything more to do with him. And I didn't get the impression that the daughter knew anything about him at all. The fact that she found him just as he moved into a new address is weird but might just be an oversight, because otherwise she could just have googled him to find out roughly where he lived and then looked him up in the phone book. She seemed surprised that he'd been in the military, which is something her mother definitely knew.

Murdstone posted:

Forgot I was posting Mary Worth '99.
Political correctness gone mad!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 07, 1960)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Jeremy has a bad case of dickface."

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

catlord posted:

The robot student came from the wish granting pencil / wendingo story. One of the background characters gets their hands on it and shows up the next day with a robot friend.

Which in intself is pretty NfT.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Please. It's an Xstorm now.

Get Fuzzy 11/3/03

Stephen Collins is political today.

Mid-Beds.

Brenda Starr 1/3-5/52

Smokey Stover 10/13/57

Everyday Movies 12/5/36

"I could cut my coat up into a muff, hat, and neck piece, but then I wouldn't have a coat!"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/2-4/42

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Archie 8/16-18/48

Archie's 17 years old, what the hell.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits