Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Content creators definitely do contrarian revisionist gamer takes for the sake of content or to try and be relevant, that's not really a crazy take imo. Some rando saying X game is good on a message board is probably not the same thing but it's a very real phenomena

Maybe I spend too much time on Youtube tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Can't believe wario ware gold, perhaps the peak of the franchise, is now over 6 years old

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I never played Get it Together, what was wrong with it?

Meowywitch posted:

Can't believe wario ware gold, perhaps the peak of the franchise, is now over 6 years old

I think it might be dead forever* too because I think it was digital only like Rhythm Heaven Megamix.

*besides emulation

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think it might be dead forever* too because I think it was digital only like Rhythm Heaven Megamix.

*besides emulation

Nah it got a physical release. It's pricey though so possibly a limited run?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also translating telepathy as psychopath is, very funny

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Honestly the problem I have with Content Creators is the opposite where they just parrot received wisdom, much of which is sometimes factually inaccurate or, really just kind of tired.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Electric Phantasm posted:

The multiple character gimmick kinda wore out its welcome for me

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hate the writing and drat simple gameplay

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Honestly the problem I have with Content Creators is the opposite where they just parrot received wisdom, much of which is sometimes factually inaccurate or, really just kind of tired.

Ignoring them helps.

The title content creator should be a cyberpunk satire, imho.

And I get the notion of people trying to sound relevant or interesting by digging up obscure or crappy media from the past, but I can't imagine ever really caring. At worst maybe I check out some old thing and dislike it. At best maybe I enjoy it. Kind of a no harm no foul thing if you ask me.

Can't discount younger players running into stuff for their first time, either. For them the lack of historical knowledge might give them a new perspective on old stuff that we olds lack from growing up with stuff.

What's the cliffs notes on Bowser's Fury? I have it but haven't played it yet.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is Star Ocean 2 that good? Its remake releases on switch today.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

unattended spaghetti posted:

What's the cliffs notes on Bowser's Fury? I have it but haven't played it yet.

Bowser's Fury uses the 3d world engine to make a fully open single player 3d mario world. So not like mario 64 where you jump into a painting and select which star you want to go for, it's a persistent open world you're running around in. It uses 3d world physics so somewhat stilted jumps, no triple jump, if you run for a bit you get a speed boost, etc

It is quite fun and feels like nintendo was testing the waters with that kind of format for mario. It kind of has vibes of a prototype that they'll iterate upon in future games.

It was an add on to the 3d world switch release, so not a stand alone game...though there is quite a lot to do. Definitely not a half assed little bonus like people were anticipating

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Bowser's Fury uses the 3d world engine to make a fully open single player 3d mario world. So not like mario 64 where you jump into a painting and select which star you want to go for, it's a persistent open world you're running around in. It uses 3d world physics so somewhat stilted jumps, no triple jump, if you run for a bit you get a speed boost, etc

It is quite fun and feels like nintendo was testing the waters with that kind of format for mario. It kind of has vibes of a prototype that they'll iterate upon in future games.

It was an add on to the 3d world switch release, so not a stand alone game...though there is quite a lot to do. Definitely not a half assed little bonus like people were anticipating

One thing I was a huge fan of in Bowser's Fury is having an inventory of selectable power-ups at all times. Wanna be Cat Mario for this next thing you found in the open world? Go for it - you don't need to traipse back to an early level to get a bell or two and then go back to what you actually wanted to do.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Does it still use the higher camera perspective? Bad eyes made 3D World made it hard for me to see my character because of that.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

unattended spaghetti posted:

Does it still use the higher camera perspective? Bad eyes made 3D World made it hard for me to see my character because of that.

bowser's fury uses a more typical 3d behind-the-mario camera, so you might have an easier time with it!

e: though i should add there are a few sections where the camera pulls out a little bit, for when you need to be able to look several jumps ahead. it doesn't ever get as pulled out as 3d world does though

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 3, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Cool thank you.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

No Wave posted:

star ocean 2 is one of the best jrpgs of all time and the remake is god tier

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I bought the Watermelon game with my gold points.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Snackmar posted:

One thing I was a huge fan of in Bowser's Fury is having an inventory of selectable power-ups at all times. Wanna be Cat Mario for this next thing you found in the open world? Go for it - you don't need to traipse back to an early level to get a bell or two and then go back to what you actually wanted to do.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that and yeah what a quality of life improvement!

also I mentioned it was single player but now that I think about it, player 2 can control Bowser Jr

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Remember NSMB1 when Mario literally killed Bowser in the first world, and Bowser Jr. brought his dad back from the dead as Dry Bowser, and Mario killed him again?

Is NSMB at the end of the timeline or does Bowser just get better, or does Bowser Jr. grow up to become the next Bowser and have his own Bowser Jr. or what?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that and yeah what a quality of life improvement!

also I mentioned it was single player but now that I think about it, player 2 can control Bowser Jr

Yeah it’s a great “little sister” mode.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The biggest challenge in Warioware Move It for most players will be finding what random container their Joycon straps have been living in since the last time they got any use (either “When Nintendo Switch Sports” came out or “Never”)

They’re not just recommended, they’re required for a small subset of games

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Remember NSMB1 when Mario literally killed Bowser in the first world, and Bowser Jr. brought his dad back from the dead as Dry Bowser, and Mario killed him again?

Is NSMB at the end of the timeline or does Bowser just get better, or does Bowser Jr. grow up to become the next Bowser and have his own Bowser Jr. or what?

Bowser Jr fully resurrects his dad (flesh and all) for the final battle of that very game and is shown dragging him away by the tail at the end

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Generally New Super Mario Bros 2 is probably last in the timeline in terms of Mario confronting Bowser.

After that he's struck it rich and buys his own castle hence Super Mario Land 2.

After this would be the spinoff and sports games where Mario exists mostly for leisure and competes in friendly matches with his old rival.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wish Wario would get another villain role vs. Mario in a main title like Land 2, but I guess he's not that kind of character anymore.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

No Wave posted:

"Good" is a word with a lot of heavy lifting, I love Star Ocean 2 but I don't think I can call it good. Unlocking the secret boss is some of the most obtuse "did-you-buy-a-strategy-guide" nonsense known to gaming. There are so many systems that overlap in incredibly stupid ways. There are thirteen playable characters and you only have enough slots to recruit eight of them. Two characters are mutually exclusive based on who you pick as the protagonist, some are mutually exclusive just because. I remember recruiting a character and reloading until they didn't start with a "sense of rhythm" because you get more skill points if they start life bad at the piano. I don't remember the story at all, which for how much I played the game isn't a good sign. The PSX translation was Bad. There's a rudimentary Relationship system which changes what endings you get and you never have any way to know it exists until the credits are rolling and you somehow friend-zoned everyone by reading books. There's a shield that has a small chance of auto-killing anything that attacks the wearer and it works on the secret super boss, but only two characters can use it and you probably didn't recruit them. You can pick the pockets of every single NPC in the game, 95% of the time they have 5 dollars and pocket lint, the other 5% they have unique game-breaking item and you only get one try per every NPC, and doing it makes your party hate you. Is Star Ocean 2 good? Absolutely not, it is probably 30% jank by volume. However it is amazing.

One party member has a barrel fetish.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
ooh, its that time again

I wish for Super Waluigi Odyssey

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

"Good" is a word with a lot of heavy lifting, I love Star Ocean 2 but I don't think I can call it good. Unlocking the secret boss is some of the most obtuse "did-you-buy-a-strategy-guide" nonsense known to gaming. There are so many systems that overlap in incredibly stupid ways. There are thirteen playable characters and you only have enough slots to recruit eight of them. Two characters are mutually exclusive based on who you pick as the protagonist, some are mutually exclusive just because. I remember recruiting a character and reloading until they didn't start with a "sense of rhythm" because you get more skill points if they start life bad at the piano. I don't remember the story at all, which for how much I played the game isn't a good sign. The PSX translation was Bad. There's a rudimentary Relationship system which changes what endings you get and you never have any way to know it exists until the credits are rolling and you somehow friend-zoned everyone by reading books. There's a shield that has a small chance of auto-killing anything that attacks the wearer and it works on the secret super boss, but only two characters can use it and you probably didn't recruit them. You can pick the pockets of every single NPC in the game, 95% of the time they have 5 dollars and pocket lint, the other 5% they have unique game-breaking item and you only get one try per every NPC, and doing it makes your party hate you. Is Star Ocean 2 good? Absolutely not, it is probably 30% jank by volume. However it is amazing.

Played it within a couple years of release myself, maybe 3 times through, and this is perfectly accurate. It might have been one of the best JRPGs of its day but even a flawless remake wouldn't hold up in a post-Xenoblade world

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 4, 2023

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

YggiDee posted:

Unlocking the secret boss is some of the most obtuse "did-you-buy-a-strategy-guide" nonsense known to gaming.

For a second I was thinking you meant the limiter thing. And then I remembered what you're talking about. And yeah, that's really bad, even for a tri-ace game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

YggiDee posted:

talk about burying the Ashton

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

spiritual bypass posted:

Played it within a couple years of release myself, maybe 3 times through, and this is perfectly accurate. It might have been one of the best JRPGs of its day but even a flawless remake wouldn't hold up in a post-Xenoblade world

Xenoblade, notably bereft of obscure, convoluted, and gamebreaking mechanics.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i played star ocean 3 for over 100 hours and completely missed roger. last thing i saw was this little racoon kid with the voice of izzy from digimon stuck in a cage, cursing me out

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

hatty posted:

The multiple character gimmick kinda wore out its welcome for me

this. they all played pretty much the same so there was no real point to it, imo

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Motto posted:

Xenoblade, notably bereft of obscure, convoluted, and gamebreaking mechanics.

What mecha ics were these? I'm thinking the relationships and...gems? Can't think of any others.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260
Star Ocean 2, and it’s remake on the Nintendo Switch, kicks rear end.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Just finished Super Mario Wonder and it was pretty neat. Been awhile since I played a sidescrolling Mario game but I got into the swing of things pretty quickly. World 4 was definitely my favorite.

I was surprised how often this game was willing to throw in a new mechanic or enemy, play with it once or twice, and never touch it again. A few things get reused but there's a ton of stuff I thought was being introduced only to basically the only time it came up. That's more commentary than a complaint; they really rolled out the creatives for this one, though maybe not for the bosses.

I kinda hate the Special World though. Too many auto-scrollers with zero allowance for mistakes where you also have to hold Y the whole time, which ends up being murder on your hands as the controller digs into your palm.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
That fluff puff peaks special world is destroying my sanity

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

YggiDee posted:

"Good" is a word with a lot of heavy lifting, I love Star Ocean 2 but I don't think I can call it good.

I can, the remake rules and is fun as hell. 2R is easily the best Star Ocean game and also like a 9/10 JRPG now

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Aware posted:

That fluff puff peaks special world is destroying my sanity
That one might actually be impossible for me. That one and the Sunbaked Desert are the two gatekeeping the final level.

I'd still be stuck on the semi-final reprise if not for an infinitely more skilled Luigi player bailing my ghost out like three times on the last leg.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Is there some kind of obvious marker on the overworld map that a level in Wonder has a secret exit? Like how in SMW you had yellow or red dots. I only realised that I'd missed something on a few of the levels in the first world from the lack of that background check mark on the courses list although I had the pole, three coins and both visible wonder seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i want to play the castlevania 64 games because i was bad at games back then and have gotten better in the intervening 20ish years and would like to see if i am still bad at them