Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Banzuke's out.

Here's the rundown in Chris Sumo fashion: https://youtu.be/vld6LKU2vcA?si=XoFhXY5DAyFLb2Jn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JSA doing their part to encourage sound health and long careers in junior rikishi by booting Hakuoho from M9 to J6 after missing just one basho to surgery coming off losing a playoff

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

JSA still has an axe to grind with Hakuho Prime.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bentai posted:

JSA still has an axe to grind with Hakuho Prime.

That and little Hakuho would derail Takakeisho's yokozuna run

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

JSA doing their part to encourage sound health and long careers in junior rikishi by booting Hakuoho from M9 to J6 after missing just one basho to surgery coming off losing a playoff

What's the fair way to handle injuries without loving over lower division guys? Unless you start opening up temp spots to break 42 in Makuuchi, keeping him up means one of the promotees doesn't get their shot.

Ad opening up extra spots just means someone has to be ovedemoted/underpromoted when everyone is healthy. We've seen with the K/S ranks how the extra ranks can be sticky and hard to get rid of when they aren't needed any more.

I think there should be some protection, just not sure what would be fair to both the injured guy and the dudes that fought.

Edit: Also attributing conspiracy theories to SOP isn't really useful. Go 0-0-15 at anywhere lower than like M2 and you go to Juryo.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_wins=0&form1_m=on&sort_basho=1&offset=1900

For the non-Covid 0fers, looks like M2 is safe and M3 is mostly out but could get lucky. Everyone else is definitely out.

Hakuoho staying would be a 1000% more indefensible Banzuke draw than the alternative.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 31, 2023

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Kintamayama reports that Hakuoho will also be sitting out the Kyushu Basho and will probably drop back to Makushita before the new year.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

He'll be back in Makuuchi soon enough. I am glad that he seems to be taking the time to heal properly and coming back stronger. He's still plenty young enough to have a long career ahead of him yet.

As for changing how injuries are dealt with... I agree in that given how things are structured in the upper divisions particularly, it is not feasible to slow walk people on their way down due to tournament withdrawals. It tends to hold back rikishi that are healthy and competing through no fault of their own. I think this could be addressed by either introducing some flexibility regarding the size of Juryo and Makuuchi in particular, in that rikishi that are out for treatment for serious injuries should be able to drop in rank at a more natural rate and not count against the numbers of that division so as to retain the ability to promote people coming up, or by speeding up promotion to their previous rank on their eventual return. I think that anything that makes the prospect of taking time off to heal less of a dire prospect is a good thing that encourages rikishi to deal with injuries sooner rather than later. Or a return to a grace period for one tournament per year (or just cancel the July basho altogether because it seems like absolutely nobody enjoys it).

But then, I'm just some idiot yapping on the internet and not a decision maker on such things so what I say has no weight to it whatsoever.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Thats an interesting idea, kinda like how in other sports, players on the official injured list don't count against salary cap.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Going to J6W from M9W is the egregious part, Daishoho went 3-12 at M17E and went to J7E, only one rank lower than Hakuoho's new spot despite being 8 ranks lower to start and only winning 3.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Apparently Asanoyama is taking the opposite approach. He's injured again and saying he'll compete if they have to wheel him in.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I would watch the poo poo out of wheelchair sumo.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Nativity In Black posted:

Apparently Asanoyama is taking the opposite approach. He's injured again and saying he'll compete if they have to wheel him in.

Wakatakakage is talking like he wants to come back this basho as well, and it's very unlikely he's fully recovered. I hope he's recovered enough he doesn't hurt himself tossing around the other unsalaried guys.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wheelchair sumo make me think about other forms of sumo, which brought up the nagging question in my mind of what the polar opposite of regular sumo would be.

After a long, sleepless night I came to the realization that it would have to take the form of competitive Twister.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

some kinda jackal posted:

Wheelchair sumo make me think about other forms of sumo, which brought up the nagging question in my mind of what the polar opposite of regular sumo would be.

After a long, sleepless night I came to the realization that it would have to take the form of competitive Twister.

My mind immediately made it that game you play as kids while hanging from the monkey bars trying to kick or pull eachother down from them without letting go yourself.

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?
Jiujitsu? "Don't tough the ground" becomes "don't come off the ground, even if you both need to buttscoot".

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

BJJ sounds like the right answer for a real sport.

For a made up one, something like one guy starts in a pinned position in the middle of the ring, their goal is to break the pin and escape the ring in the lowest possible time. Competitors switch roles for a couple rounds, fastest total escape time wins. That covers the staying on your feet and in the ring bits. But I guess a complete opposite would also involve marathon length matches rather than quick bursts.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

pseudodragon posted:

BJJ sounds like the right answer for a real sport.

For a made up one, something like one guy starts in a pinned position in the middle of the ring, their goal is to break the pin and escape the ring in the lowest possible time. Competitors switch roles for a couple rounds, fastest total escape time wins. That covers the staying on your feet and in the ring bits. But I guess a complete opposite would also involve marathon length matches rather than quick bursts.

Collegiate Wrestling (post-first fall)?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Opposite sumo, starting on the floor and trying to throw people onto the dohyo.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah, the reverse battle royal

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sumo is a sport played every day of the year, except for 6 15-day periods during which the competitors are allowed to rest.

Sumotori wear a bodysuit that covers them from head to toe, except for cutouts to expose the genitals and the top of the head. Sumotori are required to trim their hair short, except for one long lock combed down and in front of the head (also known as a "devilock"). Sumo has many, very narrow weight classes, so sumotori spend much of their time dieting and cutting weight.

A match begins with two sumotori sitting among the audience, both of them kneeling on an old Japanese man with their hands touching their opponent's hair. When the referee begins the match, the sumotori break contact and crawl toward the dohyo. The winner is the first person to touch the dohyo with any part of the body other than the bottom of their foot. Rising to a standing position forfeits the match.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

flew into japan on halloween, tho i wont be anywhere west of osaka and i'll nbre flhying home the day before the basho begins. should prob check out the area around the kokogikan when i'm in tokyo tho. hope to maybe catch some sumo the next time

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hello everyone! It's time for Kyushu, and I have a :siren:new spreadsheet:siren:.

Banana Canada posted:

Kenning, great job again running fantasy sumo. But I think you might want to double-check a few things. I've been keeping my own tracker and it seems everyone that had Atamifuji in their stable have an extra 3 points. I am fairly certain it is because the 3 points for Sansho for Atamifuji got added in twice? This doesn't change makuuchi much (you and Communist Thoughts should move up a few spots in the overall standings) but it does impact the final standings in Juryo.

I also think ullerrm, The Postman and Boogalo should have their scores adjusted upwards a bit? Aside from that, everything on your final results matches mine.

Thank you so much for keeping track of stuff alongside me. It's very useful to have a second set of eyes with a different spreadsheet technique checking my answers. As for our discrepancies, most of them involved a double input of sansho for Atamifuji, good catch. For The Postman and ullerrm I had logged Shodai and Sadanoumi as MK instead of KK, which explains the discrepancy. For Boogalo, you seem to have Shodai earning them 1 point by accident, since they had him for 2 bouts, scored no points, and then traded him. He went KK, but they didn't earn the KK bonus, because he was off their team at the time.

I've updated the final results post with the corrected scores, and they will be used for the goonzuke for Kyushu. I also spent the inter-basho period creating Fantasy Sumo Spreadsheet 3.0. I use the same basic formulae to mix the draft results with the torikumi for the daily scores, but all the bonuses (KK/MK, kinboshi, sansho, jun-yusho, and yusho) will all be recorded once per rikishi and added to each score card automatically, rather than entered manually per fantasy player. This will dramatically reduce errors and should make it much easier to get the final results in! Trade penalties and double make-koshi from trades are still manual, but that's much less common, and I vow to eventually develop a spreadsheet that will also handle that. Looking forward to taking this new setup through its paces, and inevitably debugging it somewhat over the first day or two. Amazing to think of back when I used to enter every player's every wrestler's daily scores manually. Ever forward!

Anyway, it's a little earlier than I usually call for it, but I think it's time to take submissions for fantasy for Kyushu!

code:
Terunofuji	Y	 
Takakeisho	O	Kirishima	
 		O	Hoshoryu	
Daieisho	S	Wakamotoharu	
Kotonowaka	S	 
Abi		K	Hokutofuji	
Asanoyama	M1	Ura	
Shodai		M2	Meisei	
Takayasu	M3	Tobizaru	
Gonoyama	M4	Nishikigi	
Onosho		M5	Midorifuji	
Shonannoumi	M6	Takanosho	
Hokuseiho	M7	Kinbozan	
Endo		M8	Atamifuji	
Myogiryu	M9	Mitakeumi	
Ryuden		M10	Kotoeko	
Sadanoumi	M11	Hiradoumi	
Oho		M12	Tamawashi	
Takarafuji	M13	Tsurugisho	
Tomokaze	M14	Ichiyamamoto	
Tohakuryu	M15	Churanoumi	
Roga		M16	Nishikifuji	
Kitanowaka	M17	 
We've got 4 Y/O picks, and 5 S/K picks, plus a whole slate of makuuchi promotees – 4 debutantes, plus Ichiyamamoto and the revenant Tomokaze with his medical marvel of a knee – which is one of the biggest classes of promotees in quite a while. I expect a lot of chaos in the M11+ rank, plus some very delicate decisions in picking the junior san'yaku. I think we're gonna end the year with a very fun basho. I know we have a couple newer posters, I hope y'all come out even if you just choose randomly, it's quite fun!

Please enter your draft in the following format:

Y/O:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

S/K:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M1-5:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M6-10:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M11+:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

If you've never played Fantasy before, check out the rules. In brief: just choose 3 guys at each rank, and you'll be drafted a team of dudes. That's all you really need to do, although you can trade during the first week if you want (most people don't). It's really fun and helps you get more familiar with lower-ranked guys.

Allez cuisine!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thank you very much for running this once again Kenning, it is a lot of work and it is appreciated!

Y/O
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho

S/K
Kotonowaka
Daiesho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5
Gonoyama
Ura
Meisei

M6-10
Hokuseiho
Atamifuji
Mitakeumi

M11+
Oho
Kitanowaka
Tomokaze

Fearless fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 10, 2023

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
The news of a new draft genuinely makes my day, cheers Kenning!

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Abi
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Ura
SHODAI

M6-10:
Kotoeko
Myogiryu
Takanosho

M11+:
Hiradoumi
Ichiyamamoto
Tomokaze

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Daieisho
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Takayasu
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Kinbozan
Mitakeumi

M11+:
Tomokaze
Roga
Tamawashi

Thanks as always, Kenning!

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 11, 2023

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?
First time entering!

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho

S/K:
Daieisho
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
It's
Tobizaru
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Takanosho
Mitakeumi
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Ichiyamamoto
Tamawashi
Nishikifuji

Kennedy fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 11, 2023

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu
Abi

M1-5:
Nishikigi
Takayasu
Shodai

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Atamifuji
Endo

M11+:
Tamawashi
Ichiyamamoto
Tsurigisho

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Hokutofuji
Abi

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Shodai
Ura

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan
Ryuden

M11+:
Roga
Churanoumi
Tomokaze

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka
Hokutofuji

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Ura
Asanoyama

M6-10:
Atamafuji
Kotoeko
Kinbozan

M11+:
Tomokazu
Ichiyamamoto
Roga

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Today is Lord Shodai's birthday, he is 32!

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Aw yiss, here we go again. Will this be the time I climb out of the bottom of juryo, or will my penchant for picking favorites over performers hold me back yet again

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Hokutofuji
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Takayasu
Tobizaru
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Kotoeko
Kinbozan
Atamifuji

M11+:
Tohakuryu
Tomokaze
Roga

QuasiQuack fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 9, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Y/O:
Kirishima
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Nishikigi
Takayasu

M6-10:
Kotoeko
Takanosho
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Nishikifuji
Roga
Sadanoumi

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

oh yay i have been looking forward to this

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hokutofuji
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Ura
Shodai
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Ryuden
Kinbozan

M11+:
Roga
Kitanowaka
Churanoumi

Bentai posted:

happy birthday Shodai!!!!!!!

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 11, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Daieisho
Hokutofuji

M1-5:
Ura
Takayasu
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Mitakeumi
Atamafuji
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Tomokaze
Kitanowaka
Oho

Y/O: Have to root for the Yoko run.
S/K: No Ozeki runs, but the 3 Sekiwake seem like they'll be holding down the slots for awhile putting up 8-10s for the next year. Just due to age, I'll take Koto as most likely to breakout.
M1-5: I just want Ura to put together a sanyaku run at least once in his career.
M6-10: is Mita back? Probably not at his old level but hopefully he can put himself as a mid/upper M mainstay. The kids will probably overtake him eventually but is it a basho or two early?
M11: Tomokaze is the cool story. Kitanowaka as the new kid is always fun to root for too.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

After a long two months of rest and recovery I will again impose my style of picking people arbitrarily, but not Ura, because I'm actually invested in whether or not he wins.

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Hokutofuji
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Nishikigi
Tobizaru
Takayasu

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Myogiryu
Kotoeko

M11+:
Kitonowaka
Hiradoumi
Tamawashi

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bentai posted:

Does he know, has anyone told him?

SHODAI

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Daeisho
Hokutofuji
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Meisei
Tobizaru
Ura

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Atamifuji
Kotoeko

M11+:
Oho
Hiradoumi
Tohakuryu

Average Lettuce fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 9, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daeisho
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Shodai
Gonoyama
Asanoyama

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Atamifuji
Endo

M11+:
Roga
Tomokaze
Tamawashi

Lid fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 9, 2023

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Kirishima
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Abi
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Ura
Gonoyama
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Myogiryu
Atamifuji

M11+:
Ichiyamamoto
Nishikifuji
Tomokaze

Here's to another Basho where I come in dead last in Juryo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu