Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You're expecting Star Citizen backers to be rational. If they were we wouldn't be at this point.

Yeah, pretty much. Most of the new "believers" are hopefully just a fresh round of chumps who will quietly step back into the shadows when they realize they aren't getting anything for their money. But a few will no doubt find some sense of belonging in the Star Citizen community and develop their own entirely unhinged theories about how great everything is going to be some day and how evil the haters are for conspiring against such a noble enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/yddl...24d9a15a03b#t=0

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

That bird is hilarious.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

ashpanash posted:

I can already envision the excuses the people like pisscat will make. "Feature complete is not the same as complete, anyone who has never done any software development but has visited the CIG offices once ten years ago would know that."

It's already evolved into claims that this isn't even about anyone who reads their posts ever playing the game, it's about what they're leaving behind for the children of the future to play. It's a religion now, and religions' whole deal is that there is always some justification for why they can never be wrong despite evidence to the contrary.

I think the phrase you’re looking for is “it’s feature complete, now the REAL work can begin”

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Obviously, it means that a subcomponent of the game is no longer pre-alpha, so now the real development can begin — from here, it is normal if it takes 35… 8 years to complete.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
It's all just polishing the game from this point forward. That's what it's called when you are ready to start building all of the game mechanics and AI and generally think about how it should play, right? The part that comes after you've decided on bedsheet deformation algorithms and done all the mo-cap for the arcade machines in the mess hall?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Remember when they paid actors to do motion capture speeches.

Good times.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Lladre posted:

Remember when they paid actors to do motion capture speeches.

Good times.

How could anyone forget, they keep showing the same Gary Oldman parpface speech every two years during their feature complete mega sale bamboozle.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Trilobite posted:

It's all just polishing the game from this point forward. That's what it's called when you are ready to start building all of the game mechanics and AI and generally think about how it should play, right? The part that comes after you've decided on bedsheet deformation algorithms and done all the mo-cap for the arcade machines in the mess hall?

Well lets see what they're working on in their latest email update since they announced its feature complete...

Email Received 11/01/2023
SUBJ: DEVELOPMENT UPDATE 11:01:2023

quote:

In October, AI Content’s focus was on reviewing the functionalities showcased in the ‘I Held the Line’ video shown at CitizenCon, specifically the Stanton’s hangar, med-bay, and new gym area. AI Content incorporated responsive behaviors for NPCs on the hangar sidelines. These characters now dynamically react to the player's actions in the cockpit, significantly amplifying the immersive quality of the in-game environment.
Ah yes the AI team is working on the bullshit conference scam videos.

quote:

AI Features are currently developing an all-encompassing test level for combat that will allow them to test all of their features together. There, they can add various parameters and select different enemies with varying combinations of traits. This new level will be used to test combat consistency across the PU and SQ42 and will provide a solid place to test improvements and bug fixes to AI combat and its related functionality.
The game is feature complete, yet they just now built a level to test AI, well I'm totally convinced because I'm a loving idiot take my money.

quote:

They’re also working on the first-select animations for weapons and their malfunctions, continuing to capture animations where needed to complement scenes and locations, and working through the various facial animations for story performances and ambient dialogue.
The mocap isn't loving done, so we're continuing to mocap, and mocap for faces isn't done either.

quote:

Tech Sound Design spent time ensuring the tech-demonstration videos had the proper sounds and the desired synchronization and timings occurred.
The sound team recorded folly for our fake scam bullshit videos, give us money.

quote:

The majority of the Engine team’s work last month involved preparing for CitizenCon.
All hands on deck for the tech team, zero loving progress on the game, we must craft something to show for the Con.

quote:

Work also began on a new SQ42-specific frontend, making it feel like an extension of the game world. It will feature a changing environment reflecting how far through the campaign players are and be populated with collected items.
Feature complete, front-end UI/UX not even started, not a feature, uh, wait is it a feature? Let me look at my notes...

quote:

Much of Gameplay Story’s October involved focusing on reviewing new content seen during the ‘I Held the Line’ video. As part of this, they expanded their scenes with the hangar deck crew, adjusting idles and welding animations for the character on top of the Gladius and updating the ladder-climb animation to fix some clipping. They also added more idles to the deck-crew character in the cockpit and added the new mobiGlas effect to the refueling character.
We had our gameplay team focus for the entire month of October on a bullshit demo instead of the actual game we're totally going to release one day. Instead of showing you that game, we just craft whatever for whenever, and pretend like there is a game.

quote:

The Narrative team spent time finalizing content captured last month to get initial animations and audio passes into the game so they could experience the moments in situ. They’ll continue to sync with the Design teams to review the levels as this content is implemented.
Working on initial animations in our very real feature complete videogame coming soon maybe not but also when I have a date you know the rest.

quote:

Lastly, work on ground fog resulted in various optimizations as well as a fix for subsample-sized holes in planet terrain height maps. These height maps are used for various purposes, such as building planet terrain shadows or spawning GPU particles on the ground. The latter was especially subject to those holes as they could cause infrequently erratic spawning of particles.
We made everything foggy to hide the lovely planet tech.

Anyway this poo poo goes on and on, anyone that reads this and has a brain has less of a brain after they're done (myself included) and knows they're on their 11th or 12th year of being full of poo poo I've since lost count.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Star posted:

I know this has been said so many times and never been actually true, but I honestly feel like this is the final make-it-or-break-it moment for CIG. The citizen con trailers really raised people’s expectations of the quality and release date of SQ42, and I’ve lost count of how many “I now believe” posts I’ve seen on Reddit.

Nah, Squadron 404 operates on a hype-deflect-forget cycle. It's hyped up to the backers (Answer the call 2016! I've played through all the missions! It's in greybox!) then CIG realizes they can't deliver on what they've promised and start to deflect (There's a few blockers we need to take care of. Next year at the latest. Hey, look at this new Mini-PU feature!) and once most of the backers have mostly forgotten the hype of yesteryear they go silent for a extra year or so and then start a new wave of hype repeating the cycle.

This has happened before multiple times, pretty much verbatim. I honestly find the Star Citizen hype cycle kinda comforting at this point; while the world may change, disasters and upheavals will happen, SC will always be there siphoning money from out of touch gamer dads for spaceship JPGs.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 5, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

"Deplanetated" is almost as good as "civil meat" and "the worst kind of electricity".

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
:hmmyes:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Right. So “feature complete” means “we cobbled together a bunch of stuff Crob wanted for his suckers’ demo. Now it’s time to start work thinking about how we go about putting them into a game that essentially exists on the back of a napkin”

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
CR promised a bunch of stuff for the “next 12 months” and they always miss the mark.

Assuming 80% of the features slip into 2025, we can safely assume SQ404 will not be ready before 2026. Most likely, they will delay it even more.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
star citizen is exploring brave new frontiers in ponzi schemes as a service

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHG7FMcP1aY&t=1023s

maybe this has been posted already as it's quite old but I found it funny.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

JugbandDude posted:

CR promised a bunch of stuff for the “next 12 months” and they always miss the mark.

Assuming 80% of the features slip into 2025, we can safely assume SQ404 will not be ready before 2026. Most likely, they will delay it even more.

If a real games studio came out with a demo like the one at CitCon that was a lot pre-rendered cutscenes and not much actual gameplay, and said that the game was in the “polishing phase”; the reasonable assumption would be that the game wouldn’t be coming out for another two years.

In the bizzaro world of Star Citizen who knows what the truth is? It could be 2 years away or 20. But I don’t think that we’ll see a full release of SQ404 until the money finally runs out. It’s a turd that Chris will continue to desperately polish as the industry laps him, until the last possible moment.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It is never coming out.

If you tell your clients to expect Street Fighter 6 but deliver Yie Ar Kung-Fu and call it "Street Fighter 6" that doesn't mean SF6 is out.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Does this thing still have free weekends?
I want to actually try to "play" it, but if I Google free play/fly/whatever weekends, it's all just shady sites trying to get me to join up with their code, or the most vague non info bullshit

I know I should just take this as the universe sending me a sign, but I'm a glutton for punishment

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It has free weeks from time to time, yes. Usually after a big patch or some seasonal thing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly it's not really worth the effort and you'll struggle to 100% uninstall it after.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Someone on the SC reddit posted a transit map made over 7 years ago for "the influx of new players". Just in case they need help getting between all the places that Star Citizen has to offer, very helpful:

It certainly is a daunting sight for new players! So many things to see and explore, you're overwhelmed with choices.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is there really a planet called Terra in planned for the Scam Shitizen Expanded Universe :wtchris:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You should play it and post about your experience ITT because it's funny.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

ErrEff posted:

Someone on the SC reddit posted a transit map made over 7 years ago for "the influx of new players". Just in case they need help getting between all the places that Star Citizen has to offer, very helpful:

It certainly is a daunting sight for new players! So many things to see and explore, you're overwhelmed with choices.

i actually really like the visual presentation of the map, it's just too bad it doesn't mean a drat loving thing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

cmdrk posted:

i actually really like the visual presentation of the map, it's just too bad it doesn't mean a drat loving thing.

It's a very nice, clean map that makes it clear where all the connections are. With that being said, what the gently caress am I looking at?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Randalor posted:

It's a very nice, clean map that makes it clear where all the connections are. With that being said, what the gently caress am I looking at?

All the solar systems that will be added to SC over the next ((10/2)*98=) 490 years

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xakura posted:

All the solar systems that will be added to SC over the next ((10/2)*98=) 490 years

I have questions. Is Earth in the Sol or Terra Nexus? Isn't Idris a ship? Why are some of these system names boring as gently caress?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ErrEff posted:

Gotta love the transit map when there's only one station currently implemented in-game.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Randalor posted:

I have questions. Is Earth in the Sol or Terra Nexus? Isn't Idris a ship? Why are some of these system names boring as gently caress?

Well in a stunning twist, Earth =/= Terra

(I believe that is lore accurate, but I'm not going to look it up)

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Somebody photoshop that map but it's only the stuff that is actually in the game right now doesn't exist purely in hopes and dreams.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ErrEff posted:

Drakkel posted:

Somebody photoshop that map but it's only the stuff that is actually in the game right now doesn't exist purely in hopes and dreams.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 6, 2023

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
lolllll

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Excellent

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Well that sums this all up pretty well I think. Any day now!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Not exactly New Eden, is it?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Its not even New Jersey.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sardonik posted:

Not exactly New Eden, is it?

The connection map was making me think of the goonfleet jump gate subway maps, parallel connections between what were only a tiny subset of locations in the actual map.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Anyone who enjoys this thread should download it and play it during a free fly. Videos here can only do so much in getting across just how loving atrocious it is. Everyone should experience the magic of waking in the wankpod and going down into the creepy hotel of sofa standers for themselves

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

smellmycheese posted:

Anyone who enjoys this thread should download it and play it during a free fly. Videos here can only do so much in getting across just how loving atrocious it is. Everyone should experience the magic of waking in the wankpod and going down into the creepy hotel of sofa standers for themselves

Listen, just because I like watching schadenfreude videos, doesn't mean I want to inflict pain upon myself. Especially if the game is the computer version of herpes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

No other developer comes close to simulating the vast emptiness of space.