Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Big Slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CM Junk

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Poohausen

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Preston "lovely" Vance

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Butt

The Shitman

FART

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not serious. Really that's the whole thing, none of it is serious and folks just need to be better about not getting gotten to. If someone is needling you or winding you up over the Internet, no they're not. They are a million miles away from you and you can walk away whenever. If you're getting winded up over the Internet through puns on your favorite wrestlers please don't

Here's the thing, though: This isn't actually carte blanche to be a dick! 'None of this is serious and if you're mad just walk away' isn't actually any more accurate a social staple rule than 'don't be enough of a jerk that people feel the need to walk away from you,' and putting 100% of the burden on people who are upset is a big part of how you wind up with people choosing to just not participate in the community anymore.

I don't think Erin's probe was bad and I don't think it's actually unhealthy for a community to talk to itself about why people are getting so mad all the time. 'Quit caring about what people say' is both not an effective answer and incredibly dismissive towards other people.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Wangman Adam Page

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CarlCX posted:

Here's the thing, though: This isn't actually carte blanche to be a dick! 'None of this is serious and if you're mad just walk away' isn't actually any more accurate a social staple rule than 'don't be enough of a jerk that people feel the need to walk away from you,' and putting 100% of the burden on people who are upset is a big part of how you wind up with people choosing to just not participate in the community anymore.

I don't think Erin's probe was bad and I don't think it's actually unhealthy for a community to talk to itself about why people are getting so mad all the time. 'Quit caring about what people say' is both not an effective answer and incredibly dismissive towards other people.

I'm asking people to control the things they can control in a public space. I think the reactions are outsized compared to the offense when the offense is

Shard posted:

Wangman Adam Page

Really a lot of it is being sick of having the same people who get so red hot mad that they have a reputation for saying earnestly mean things also constantly telling the sub that it's a mean and unwelcoming place because of

Shard posted:

Wangman Adam Page

Posting

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 3, 2023

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Is “the cry guys” that much more aggro of an insult than “the lol crew”?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Yeah

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I mean, if you’re a cry guy

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

All due respect to cry guys

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

after seeing it several times i need to speak up about how sad it makes me when people talk about being exhausted by the posts on here. it really bums me out so bad when people say they need a break from this place and won't be posting until they say "I'm back," right in the middle of wrestling threads. i unfortunately really need to take a big huge break from that happening until further notice please. be well.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Cavauro posted:

after seeing it several times i need to speak up about how sad it makes me when people talk about being exhausted by the posts on here. it really bums me out so bad when people say they need a break from this place and won't be posting until they say "I'm back," right in the middle of wrestling threads. i unfortunately really need to take a big huge break from that happening until further notice please. be well.

Look at how they massacred my Boy

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This sub these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyEIC0GQL7U

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I love to cry, guys

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s cathartic

I didn’t cry at all in my 20s but in my 30s I learned again

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s cathartic

I didn’t cry at all in my 20s but in my 30s I learned again

It’s true, getting older makes you soft like silly putty.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

didn't one of the cry guys go to jail for cheating on his wife

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Alaois posted:

You're thinking of one of the impractical jokers, aka lol crew

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Alaois posted:

NienNunb when he told bae he didn’t spend another month’s rent on a Popeye hat

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

NienNunb when he told bae he didn’t spend another month’s rent on a Popeye hat

No need for this

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Gumball Gumption posted:

You're thinking of one of the impractical jokers, aka lol crew

sigh but yeah one of the cry guys did cheat on his wife.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

i maintain morale by greeting my friends with a stockton heybuddy whenever i see them

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not serious. Really that's the whole thing, none of it is serious and folks just need to be better about not getting gotten to. If someone is needling you or winding you up over the Internet, no they're not. They are a million miles away from you and you can walk away whenever. If you're getting winded up over the Internet through puns on your favorite wrestlers please don't

This is literally victim blaming. It blows my mind that 40 year olds are acting like 12 year olds when AOL first came out and the people who are like "knock it off and grow up" are the ones getting "hilarious" "joke" sixers instead of the insanely unfunny idiots who fall over each other to post the exact same bait over and over and never get punished for it

Intentionally loving with other people's emotional responses for your own personal amusement is toddler behavior and I don't care if I'm in the minority on this. It sucks super hard and absolutely ruins threads for people like me who want to talk about wrestling without having to scroll past pages and pages AND PAGES of boring unfunny and above all predictable shitposts about how "Tony Khan is totally absolutely definitely going to do some lolrandom garbage"

I don't expect every single post to be dead serious but it's nearly impossible to have any kind of meaningful exchange of information about wrestling shows when 80% of the posters are either selfishly entertaining themselves by posting random nonsense or people intentionally trying to make other people upset for no good reason. Like I could understand it if people were genuinely trying to defend Hogan's racism or Flair's rape or Punk's violent attacks on coworkers or Snuka's murder or Vince's anything but the troll posts are always targeted at regular people who like most of what AEW does and just want to discuss it like regular people

And the dumbest part is that I'm probably going to get a probe for this post instead of the unfunny assholes who intentionally antagonize other people for fun

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in the rare occurrence that there is a "joke sixer" here, it's in good fun between parties, and no one who is saying "knock it off" about making fun of wrestlers is getting a probation at all. people who are messing around have gotten all of the probations for committing the acts of needling and prodding. all of the threads are (and have been for a very long time) people making comments about wrestlers or the shows, with 0 to 2 responses to their post, and the rare medium or long term discussion between parties. nothing is being stifled or interrupted except when someone proclaims that they cannot post here anymore because someone said that tony sucks one.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

something else. I won't get probated for this no matter how hard anyone tries, unless they try so hard that they poop one: it's not good for someone to feel victimized by another person saying juicy jugman. i think that's what Gumpball was getting at.

remember, if i'm p;robated, that means the person who did it took a big crap. i'll come and speak again tomorrow if anything is warranted. if not then i know my place. Thank you

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is literally victim blaming. It blows my mind that 40 year olds are acting like 12 year olds when AOL first came out and the people who are like "knock it off and grow up" are the ones getting "hilarious" "joke" sixers instead of the insanely unfunny idiots who fall over each other to post the exact same bait over and over and never get punished for it

Intentionally loving with other people's emotional responses for your own personal amusement is toddler behavior and I don't care if I'm in the minority on this. It sucks super hard and absolutely ruins threads for people like me who want to talk about wrestling without having to scroll past pages and pages AND PAGES of boring unfunny and above all predictable shitposts about how "Tony Khan is totally absolutely definitely going to do some lolrandom garbage"

I don't expect every single post to be dead serious but it's nearly impossible to have any kind of meaningful exchange of information about wrestling shows when 80% of the posters are either selfishly entertaining themselves by posting random nonsense or people intentionally trying to make other people upset for no good reason. Like I could understand it if people were genuinely trying to defend Hogan's racism or Flair's rape or Punk's violent attacks on coworkers or Snuka's murder or Vince's anything but the troll posts are always targeted at regular people who like most of what AEW does and just want to discuss it like regular people

And the dumbest part is that I'm probably going to get a probe for this post instead of the unfunny assholes who intentionally antagonize other people for fun

Oh you still post here, huh

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'll be honest, although I love this forum for allowing me to reminisce about old stuff and casually follow along with the current dishy, it has actively turned me off from watching more AEW. It just seems so exhausting and all this drama seems ludicrous to me. I don't know what my suggestion would be other than "chill out"?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Like I could understand it if people were genuinely trying to defend Hogan's racism or Flair's rape or Punk's violent attacks on coworkers or Snuka's murder or Vince's anything

:dafuq:

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I like when people post jokes and if theres a post against jokes I shant be reading it

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i think elephant ambush makes a great point: corrective sixers aren't great for much beyond appeasing posters like elephant ambush, an eternally joyless creature that views itself as a 'literal victim' of the forum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think hiring Ric Flair in 2023 is cause for concern so I get where some of the energy is coming from with the AEW thread

And while I haven't been able to keep up with the product as much as I'd like to I just happened to have an extremely busy October and if anything I'm looking forward to getting back on that horse shortly. I don't think I'd be quite as negative on the show as others have, but I also probably wouldn't have been as negative about the negative posters either. Embrace the white noise path, imo

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'll be honest, although I love this forum for allowing me to reminisce about old stuff and casually follow along with the current dishy, it has actively turned me off from watching more AEW. It just seems so exhausting and all this drama seems ludicrous to me. I don't know what my suggestion would be other than "chill out"?

Yeah, I don't even look at the threads for modern stuff anymore (other than the NWA, that poo poo's hilarious). The vibes here are better than anywhere else wrestling is discussed on the internet, but I still don't want 'em.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm asking people to control the things they can control in a public space. I think the reactions are outsized compared to the offense when the offense is

I agree, but the precipitating offense here wasn't rivals.com pun names, it was a group antagonism meltdown. Which is part of what gets us here:

Elephant Ambush posted:

Out of the many, many reports that came out of that thread, you were one of them who also got probed because, in railing against people doing group antagonism, you got mad and started doing the same thing.

That DICK! posted:

i think elephant ambush makes a great point: corrective sixers aren't great for much beyond appeasing posters like elephant ambush, an eternally joyless creature that views itself as a 'literal victim' of the forum

No, you're definitely right, That DICK!. People like Elephant Ambush who've been posting here for years across multiple threads over multiple companies about how much they like the sport are definitely just joyless "it" creatures and they definitely don't have any kind of a point or valid frustration about people here getting overly lovely sometimes. You have definitely posted a good thing here.

I will be screaming my divine prayers to the great Pain Worm that the terrible heaven of the void will make a corrective probation work just this once, just for me.

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, I don't even look at the threads for modern stuff anymore (other than the NWA, that poo poo's hilarious). The vibes here are better than anywhere else wrestling is discussed on the internet, but I still don't want 'em.

Genuinely, unironically, I think there needs to be some collective reflection on the idea that a bunch of people who have been around for a long time do not feel like being here anymore. gently caress, I was one of them for awhile. And that happens! Sometimes people go away. But there's a persistent pattern of recurring blowups that ultimately get dismissed because community is big and abstract and it's easier to just tell people not to care and to :justpost:, and after several years of doing that we have the same recurring blowups and the only tangible difference is a larger preponderance of people who don't want to be here anymore.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

You people dont know what a bad thread with rancid vibes is until you regularly read the F1 thread

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CarlCX posted:

You have definitely posted a good thing here.

Agreed!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
corneh

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

CarlCX posted:

Genuinely, unironically, I think there needs to be some collective reflection on the idea that a bunch of people who have been around for a long time do not feel like being here anymore. gently caress, I was one of them for awhile. And that happens! Sometimes people go away. But there's a persistent pattern of recurring blowups that ultimately get dismissed because community is big and abstract and it's easier to just tell people not to care and to :justpost:, and after several years of doing that we have the same recurring blowups and the only tangible difference is a larger preponderance of people who don't want to be here anymore.

Every time this thread has this feedback loop, nobody has anything tangible to say besides "vibes" or "the thread is so bad!". Personally I have never had more negativity in my direction than when I started souring on the product and posting thoughts saying as much. I make it a point to try my best to never post about posters, but only about the product and my thoughts on it and the people involved. In my experience, the majority of people upset with the Vibes tend to be the ones who immediately make it the most personal, or are the quickest to say how dumb, stupid or fucktarded some crew that they made up in their head is.

Not to call out Elephant Ambush, but I suppose I will. In their long post there it's full of personal attacks, insults, lumping people together and is so much more negative and to me, much worse vibes than anything prior or since. Just because someone enjoys what they watch does not mean they are a positive person, or contribute positively to a thread.

Idk that there's a "fix" or that there even needs to be a "fix", or what I'm saying, or anything at all. Bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
We gotta stop having Meltdown Monday on days that are not Monday