Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FFT posted:

What, no, the whole point is "that could be you, in this instant" as a combination with simulation theory/basically The Matrix.

i.e. right now, the you that is currently reading this, you are being tortured for not creating general AI

But if you're the copy then the AI already exists so you don't need to create it and literally can't because you're not real, you can't affect the real world the computer exists in.

So either the AI doesn't exist and can't torture you, or the AI already exists and torturing you is pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arivia posted:

Sleeping is good yeah

Been saying this

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tiggum posted:

"I liked Andor. I liked it. It was a good show, it was fine, it was cosy, it was also extremely boring and made me fall asleep". I guess he likes being bored and falling asleep.

It's not about empathy at all. The threat is that the copy is so good you can't tell that you're not the copy. It's not the threat of an AI torturing a copy of you in the future, it's that you might already be that copy.

This is where Yudkowsky's idea of "timeless decision theory" comes in. As I understand it, he essentially states that the future can effect the past because we can predict the future and alter our behaviour accordingly. So the AI has to torture copies of people in the future in order to effect its own creation in the past. That's the key piece of nonsense that makes the whole thing hold together. Because otherwise you can simply reason that, having no way to influence events that have already taken place, the future AI will have no reason to create any copies of people to torture. If I tell you not to do something or I'll punish you, and then you do it, punishing you may serve the purpose of discouraging you from doing it again as you now know that the threat is genuine. But the AI, firstly, never made the threat, and secondly, doesn't need to encourage people to create it again because it already exists, so there's nothing to be gained.

That's my favorite bit about this, is that literally the only way it works on you is if you already believe it will work on you. It's Pascal's Wager, but only if you opt in, and anyone who just goes "this sounds dumb" would never have infinite AI selves tortured because the computer knows their mind wouldn't have been changed by the idea that they might be an AI about to get tortured.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OwlFancier posted:

But if you're the copy then the AI already exists so you don't need to create it and literally can't because you're not real, you can't affect the real world the computer exists in.

So either the AI doesn't exist and can't torture you, or the AI already exists and torturing you is pointless.

Tiggum posted:

This is where Yudkowsky's idea of "timeless decision theory" comes in. As I understand it, he essentially states that the future can effect the past because we can predict the future and alter our behaviour accordingly. So the AI has to torture copies of people in the future in order to effect its own creation in the past. That's the key piece of nonsense that makes the whole thing hold together. Because otherwise you can simply reason that, having no way to influence events that have already taken place, the future AI will have no reason to create any copies of people to torture. If I tell you not to do something or I'll punish you, and then you do it, punishing you may serve the purpose of discouraging you from doing it again as you now know that the threat is genuine. But the AI, firstly, never made the threat, and secondly, doesn't need to encourage people to create it again because it already exists, so there's nothing to be gained.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

It's just tech bros trying to fill the god-shaped hole in their hearts with the singularity. Logic doesn't really enter the picture here because if the premise is flawed in the first place you can say whatever bullshit you want and convince yourself it makes sense

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Gonna brush up on theology to see if I can make some tech idiot computer arguments for being a halfway decent person. Gonna invent computer st francis

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

It's just tech bros trying to fill the god-shaped hole in their hearts with the singularity. Logic doesn't really enter the picture here because if the premise is flawed in the first place you can say whatever bullshit you want and convince yourself it makes sense

It's literally Southern Baptist 'live in fear of an angry god' + Pascal's Wager.

In both cases the all powerful entity will punish you for upsetting it, and in both cases you need to live in constant fear of that.

It's neither cleverer nor more complicated than that, except having some slight twistiness in how it explains why the AI version of god will become upset and what you can do to avoid it.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
If there is any supernatural force governing the universe, it surely does not resemble the Abrahamic god. I mean come on, the theme of almost every story in the Bible is "Do what your betters say or else God will gently caress you up." That's clearly not a mythology, it's a scheme to control your subjects.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is ai good? Who can tell?

https://twitter.com/sublunaryeds/status/1720634595094536311?t=hDStcoEMB-VI0T4UljIetw&s=19

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Tech bros are so dumb

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can simply counter the whole thing by imagining another AI doing simulations where it doesn't torture people. The number of simulations it does is an infinity a billion times bigger than the infinity of Roko's basilisk. Now there's only a one in a billion chance you live in the torture simulation and it would be foolish to live as if you were. Bish bash, impeccable logic across the whole line.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Piell posted:

That's my favorite bit about this, is that literally the only way it works on you is if you already believe it will work on you. It's Pascal's Wager, but only if you opt in, and anyone who just goes "this sounds dumb" would never have infinite AI selves tortured because the computer knows their mind wouldn't have been changed by the idea that they might be an AI about to get tortured.

What if I don't want to help build the AI because I know I'd be poo poo at it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What if I don't want to help build the AI because I know I'd be poo poo at it

What if we purposely build it wrong, as a joke

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ai is good, it got us a new beatles song

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Oh, you've allowed yourself to be be condemned to the hoary netherworld?

Skill issue.
No no, I said horny netherworld.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hey as a tangent this "new Beatles song" is loving gross, just looting John Lennon and George Harrison's castoffs.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Kenning posted:

Fukkin Calvinists.
Being tortured by an AI for all eternity because of The Noodle Incident

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cloacamazing! posted:

It's the same with people who go to church and pray and then head outside and do a bunch of stuff like hate thy neighbors. Organized religion teaches us that those people are going to Christian heaven, but someone who spends their entire life working to make the world a better place but happens to be born Muslim doesn't. Seems legit.
That's not "organized religion", that's specifically American Evangelical Christians + I think Calvinists. Unfortunately, unspecified Evangelical is the fastest-growing religion in the US. :learnmore:

quote:

The God my mom believes in doesn't care if you believe in him or not, as long as you're a good person.
This is Christian universalism, and it's not uncommon. In general, we believe "all human beings will ultimately be saved and restored to a right relationship with God"(WP), so you don't even have to be good in this life. Sadly, we're really smug.

Collateral posted:

The god of Muslims, Jews, and Christians is the same dude, they differ entirely on who is the most important prophet. Yeshua was born and died a Jew. He is a prophet according to Islam. Christianity only became a thing after Saul rocked into town 30 years after the main man was dead.
The Jews would wholeheartedly disagree with you. They don't think Jesus was any kind of prophet; they think he was part of a long series of false Messiahs. In particular, they think that Christians who believe in the Trinity are worshiping multiple Gods and are Right Out. Islam claims Jesus as a great prophet, but Muhammad was a much, much more important prophet, and both the Jews and the Christians are Wrong.

Basically, people who talk about "the Abrahamic religions" are like the people who say "Judeo-Christian": in most cases both terms work out to be "Christian, plus maybe some other folks."

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Jews would wholeheartedly disagree with you. They don't think Jesus was any kind of prophet; they think he was part of a long series of false Messiahs. In particular, they think that Christians who believe in the Trinity are worshiping multiple Gods and are Right Out. Islam claims Jesus as a great prophet, but Muhammad was a much, much more important prophet, and both the Jews and the Christians are Wrong.

Basically, people who talk about "the Abrahamic religions" are like the people who say "Judeo-Christian": in most cases both terms work out to be "Christian, plus maybe some other folks."

Come on, I didnt say how Jews view jesus, only that he was born and died Jewish. Its why I have always dispised the narrative of Christians through the ages, of using the "Jews killed Jesus" to persecute Jews. Its pure sophisty.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Like, Jews and Christians don't think Muhammad was a prophet either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Collateral posted:

Come on, I didnt say how Jews view jesus, only that he was born and died Jewish. Its why I have always dispised the narrative of Christians through the ages, of using the "Jews killed Jesus" to persecute Jews. Its pure sophisty.

Which every time I see it I’m like, yeah, and? Wasn’t that the whole point?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i don't care about your middle eastern shipping war, everyone knows Muhammad x Christ is toxic anyway. take it back to the fandom wiki

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Collateral posted:

I really don’t understand why an organization based in Rome blames “The Jews”. Very strange.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The Italians killed Jesus.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
MuhammadXChrist sounds like a grindcore band.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

i don't care about your middle eastern shipping war, everyone knows Muhammad x Christ is toxic anyway. take it back to the fandom wiki

i had to check

surprising

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

repiv posted:

i had to check

surprising

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sadly not a lot of fan art opportunity for the Prophet pbuh so I see why it isn’t a big ship

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hey as a tangent this "new Beatles song" is loving gross, just looting John Lennon and George Harrison's castoffs.

that's what bands do though? like, it's not even notable that it's happening with two dead members, because tons of bands will take demos/songs/tracks written by dead members and use them on future recordings as tributes or memorials.

it's notable just because it's the beatles. it's a song that was authentically started by lennon for the band, that the three others tried to work on in the 90s but couldn't get lennon's demo cleaned up for. now using an AI to clean it up made it possible, so they used lennon's demo, harrison's recording from the 90s, and then mccartney and ringo starr finished it off. everyone involved (either the artists themselves or their surviving partners) signed off on it, and it's only different from a standard studio recording set up because there were gaps of decades between various parts (which again, happens not infrequently with musical artists with huge back catalogues of unreleased material).

everyone involved was trying to make this happen. it just took technology time to make it possible. it's as artistically pure as this poo poo gets, which is why it's nice. it's not apple records feeding old recordings of lennon into a neural net to try and get new songs they can sell with no actual human input. it's not some billionaire who's never actually written a song signing off on using an old track of harrison's. it's the band, collectively, working to get one last song out over the decades, and it involves a bunch of people because that's the people the beatles members worked with (giles martin and peter jackson.) you just get to enjoy an actual real authentic one more beatles song in tyool 2023 by the actual artists, without capitalism taking a giant poo poo over it and perverting the idea. it's a nice little bit of "oh, when we aren't loving up our culture technology can make amazing things possible."

just enjoy it. or don't. but it's not gross.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sadly not a lot of fan art opportunity for the Prophet pbuh so I see why it isn’t a big ship

Also the ChristX space is currently filled with ChristXBuddha

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jesus Christ.....

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This derail is over. No more Roko's basilisk or religion chat, thanks.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Arivia posted:

that's what bands do though? like, it's not even notable that it's happening with two dead members, because tons of bands will take demos/songs/tracks written by dead members and use them on future recordings as tributes or memorials.

it's notable just because it's the beatles. it's a song that was authentically started by lennon for the band, that the three others tried to work on in the 90s but couldn't get lennon's demo cleaned up for. now using an AI to clean it up made it possible, so they used lennon's demo, harrison's recording from the 90s, and then mccartney and ringo starr finished it off. everyone involved (either the artists themselves or their surviving partners) signed off on it, and it's only different from a standard studio recording set up because there were gaps of decades between various parts (which again, happens not infrequently with musical artists with huge back catalogues of unreleased material).

everyone involved was trying to make this happen. it just took technology time to make it possible. it's as artistically pure as this poo poo gets, which is why it's nice. it's not apple records feeding old recordings of lennon into a neural net to try and get new songs they can sell with no actual human input. it's not some billionaire who's never actually written a song signing off on using an old track of harrison's. it's the band, collectively, working to get one last song out over the decades, and it involves a bunch of people because that's the people the beatles members worked with (giles martin and peter jackson.) you just get to enjoy an actual real authentic one more beatles song in tyool 2023 by the actual artists, without capitalism taking a giant poo poo over it and perverting the idea. it's a nice little bit of "oh, when we aren't loving up our culture technology can make amazing things possible."

just enjoy it. or don't. but it's not gross.

The original demo is front the late 70s and wasn’t intended as a Beatles track but otherwise… yeah. What’s the big deal? It’s not really any different than the two tracks they did in the mid 90s. McCartney mentioned AI though and some people are having a fit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tony Phillips posted:

The original demo is front the late 70s and wasn’t intended as a Beatles track but otherwise… yeah. What’s the big deal? It’s not really any different than the two tracks they did in the mid 90s. McCartney mentioned AI though and some people are having a fit.

yeah i guess there's a theoretical argument for john lennon in heaven/nirvana/(i forget where he was spiritually when he got shot) shaking his fist and going "NO THAT TAPE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE IN PAUL'S GRUBBY HANDS" (my mistake for interpreting the origin of the demo tape incorrectly) but also i really can't blame yoko as executor of his estate for going "hey you three were his main musical collaborators in life, please do something with his final recording [because you'll respect it]" which is the provenance of the 90s songs and now the new one.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Arivia posted:

i really can't blame yoko

Fake Beatles fan.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Philippe posted:

This derail is over. No more Roko's basilisk or religion chat, thanks.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that the canine plane or are there just way more canine furries than anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
they're dressed as animals not teeth