Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Dokapon Findom posted:

When was everyone's big moment of realization that poo poo was just not going to get done? For me it wasn't until 2018

When BP destroyed the gulf and instead of the company and it's executives getting the death penalty absolutely nothing was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Dokapon Findom posted:

When was everyone's big moment of realization that poo poo was just not going to get done? For me it wasn't until 2018

I was on and off the doom train and then I learned about this and that was it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Dokapon Findom posted:

I definitely had multiple moments of crack ping. The big one was Obama's pro fracking agenda and the US pulling even more oil out of the ground. Finding out that there's just tons of oil leaking out all over the place from poorly capped wells.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

cash crab posted:

we are all gods children and He left us in a hot car. lol.

fuckin banger line thanks for joining the best thread

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i sometimes wonder if there any cracks left to ping, but of course there is

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1720828710532886815

:tif:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

lol

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm sure all the doomsdayers from the past that stretch back atleast two thousand years are super jealous of us all right now.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lmao sorry everyone i left my heat pump on. set it to cold so we should be good now

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

cash crab posted:

i pretty deftly ignored everything until this year. like, i was cognizant that things were going tits up

bawfuls posted:

yeah pre-Covid I had a sense that we'd end up half-assing things and it would be too little too late

but after Covid it was clear that, nah we are going to charge full steam ahead into the worst possible version of the future, this system is incapable of the necessary change, it will persist until it is broken by reality

:yeah:

I watched the entire world not just refuse to wear masks to stop the spread of a virus that was literally killing the vulnerable (and making the not-vulnerable into the vulnerable), but throw actual hissy fits and deliberately start spreading contagion in response. We probably could have handled COVID with two weeks of diligent isolation and walked out of our houses like "Gosh, that's what the fuss was about?", and people weren't willing to inconvenience themselves even that much for the greater good. And now everything has literally doubled in price as they do cash grabs off the back of the event, with absolutely nothing of benefit to show for it.

There's no way they'll convince anyone to give up comfort and convenience long term just to not cook the world.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Six sigma here we come!

padme: the set of techniques and tools for process improvement?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Car Hater posted:

Can't believe I wasted so many years stressing about this like it was going to do anything

lmao, same

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Car Hater posted:

Can't believe I wasted so many years stressing about this like it was going to do anything

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

lmao six sigma.

anyone got any "talking points" or more accurately ways to crack ping people who haven't been crack pinged yet?

i talk to people who think that somehow taking the train instead of the plane will actually change anything, when, well if we've locked in 6-12 degrees or whatever of warming then taking the train once instead of the plane will slow the 12 degrees of warming for about a whole second, and well selfishly since we're hosed anyway and the forces of capital will ensure that the plane flies anyway, i might as well be on it, it would be quite handy to convince the liberals around me that nothing really matters and i can take all the planes i want and that the only way anything will change is the destruction of the united states and capitalism

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

lmao six sigma.

anyone got any "talking points" or more accurately ways to crack ping people who haven't been crack pinged yet?

i talk to people who think that somehow taking the train instead of the plane will actually change anything, when, well if we've locked in 6-12 degrees or whatever of warming then taking the train once instead of the plane will slow the 12 degrees of warming for about a whole second, and well selfishly since we're hosed anyway and the forces of capital will ensure that the plane flies anyway, i might as well be on it, it would be quite handy to convince the liberals around me that nothing really matters and i can take all the planes i want and that the only way anything will change is the destruction of the united states and capitalism

lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

lmao six sigma.

whats your point? to make them as sad/mad as you? to make them enjoy life while they can? to get them to build community structures and resilience for a more just collapse? to get them to agree that you're right and they were wrong? to get them to lend you money to buy grandfathered water rights?

the answer to why informs how you go about doing it

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Trabisnikof posted:

whats your point? to make them as sad/mad as you? to make them enjoy life while they can? to get them to build community structures and resilience for a more just collapse? to get them to agree that you're right and they were wrong? to get them to lend you money to buy grandfathered water rights?

the answer to why informs how you go about doing it

mostly to let me get away with my bourgeoisie lifestyle without any guilt (flying, driving, whatever)

edit: guilt on their part on my behalf, i don't feel any guilt because i'm fully crack pinged

edit edit: if we are truly doing the bullshit morality olympics i was vegetarian for 25 years of my life thus i earned the right to fly a lot or whatever hail satan

Mr SuperAwesome has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Nov 5, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
It's more transactional. Like, arm yourself with goon "fat guy wearing shorts in winter" energy, casual on the hygiene. Live unbatbed in squalor, with only posts and nutrient paste (peanut butter) to sustain you.

Now you're consuming less, you're more prepared for the world to come. You have the moral capital to laugh at the people who complain about the weather no matter what season (its the same folks in winter as in summer).

Thats about to be a HUGE demographic!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

mostly to let me get away with my bourgeoisie lifestyle without any guilt (flying, driving, whatever)

edit: guilt on their part on my behalf, i don't feel any guilt because i'm fully crack pinged

edit edit: if we are truly doing the bullshit morality olympics i was vegetarian for 25 years of my life thus i earned the right to fly a lot or whatever hail satan

Just tell them everything is going to be all right and go do your thing. You cannot crack ping people, it is something that depends entirely on them and either happens or not.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

anyone got any crack pings to help me convince the liberals around me to get off my back about my treats

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

then focus on the scale of the solutions out performing the minuscule nature of your additional emissions.

Like your marginal flight or hamburger won’t change the task of a post carbon society. they’ll still be sucking up carbon with DAC while geoengineering and making entirely GMO biomes. The scale of effort for success is so massive and transformative that it dwarfs the mere individual choices available. Success, if it happens, will be so all encompassing that it can’t be stopped by you driving to get a double-double or even you flying to every country to pet cats.

individual emission reductions now are like wiping your shoes before entering a building slated for demolition and reconstruction, still polite probably, but not really making the task easier per se.

(And if the pessimistic take is right, of course it doesn’t matter either. But people who lean towards reducing their emissions wants to be persuaded positively.)

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I was watching ReviewBrah’s latest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-uZpt8WV9Y

After which I left this comment. I thought you guys would be proud:

Lordshmee posted:

To answer all of your questions, yes fast food quality is in decline across the board. More to the point though - EVERYTHING is in decline. The nightmare world we’ve been busy creating since time out of mind is finally coming to a slow, grinding end. Our awful, atomized, hyper-capitalist hellscape can no longer maintain even maintenance levels of participation as everyone within it hates everyone and everything around them, is being picked off by disease, and paid less for more work, while getting nothing out of the bargain. At the same time our bullshit societies are disintegrating, our world-ending industrial engine is finally ramping up to end-stage proportions as the biosphere begins to choke to death. Oceans too hot to support oxygen, let alone ice shelves, are here now, and not going away. The game is basically up and more people are realizing it every day. The treat machines are shutting down, soon to be followed by everything else.

And this:

cash crab posted:

we are all gods children and He left us in a hot car. lol.

is outstanding.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Lordshmee posted:

Lordshmee posted:

To answer all of your questions, yes fast food quality is in decline across the board. More to the point though - EVERYTHING is in decline. The nightmare world we’ve been busy creating since time out of mind is finally coming to a slow, grinding end. Our awful, atomized, hyper-capitalist hellscape can no longer maintain even maintenance levels of participation as everyone within it hates everyone and everything around them, is being picked off by disease, and paid less for more work, while getting nothing out of the bargain. At the same time our bullshit societies are disintegrating, our world-ending industrial engine is finally ramping up to end-stage proportions as the biosphere begins to choke to death. Oceans too hot to support oxygen, let alone ice shelves, are here now, and not going away. The game is basically up and more people are realizing it every day. The treat machines are shutting down, soon to be followed by everything else.

good post

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

can this be a title?

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

:nice:

As for when I realised the world was hosed.
Hard to really tell, but I can't have been much more than 10 or so.
One of my teachers let me read a book about.. I dunno, I think it was about some massive poisoning of the coast of Jutland (Denmark)
The company responsible had just buried all the poo poo near the erosive beaches and declared bankruptcy.
Massive scandals followed, but in the end, the goverment was the one who had to clean it up.

Anyways, once you start seeing that pattern repeat, again and again, all over the world..
poo poo will get to you real loving fast.

E: I'm loving forty now, so these particular brainworms are fat and mature. Only Lols and Lmaos remain.

Ssthalar has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Nov 5, 2023

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Confusedslight posted:

I'm sure all the doomsdayers from the past that stretch back atleast two thousand years are super jealous of us all right now.

lol I think about this a lot

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

lmao six sigma.

lol what a bullshit probe

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

lmao six sigma.

Why would you need peoples approval to take the plane, it's flying with or without you on it unlike a private jet

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Carp posted:

Untitled, by Philipp Igumnov

Hey taxi! Pad one please.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
If you have a good time the liberals win

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Pohl posted:

lol what a bullshit probe

always has to be one idiot with buttons running around eager to push then

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

good lord

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

oh yeah baby

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
lol like half of Canada was on fire this year, Australia needs to suck it up until it reaches, i dunno, 80%. Which still wouldn't impact most of where Australians live.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lmao I like this category of chart that makes me do a double-take because I thought the rightmost data point was just the edge of the graphic

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

hi can you extend the graph right further i've got this concern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Dokapon Findom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPN1SODmaMw

2019/2020 fires
then covid

shits hosed, no one in power cares