Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I look forward to utter failure, and promise to make zero trades.

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Daieisho
Hokutofuji

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Midorifuji
Meisei

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Atamifuji
Kotoeko

M11+:
Ichiyamamoto
Roga
Oho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Hell yes, it's time again. Thanks again Kenning for running this for us.

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu
Hokutofuji

M1-5:
Ura
Meisei
Shodai

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Kinbozan
Kotoeko

M11+:
Roga
Sadanoumi
Tomokaze

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 10, 2023

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho

S/K:
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Takayasu
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Hokuseiho
Shonannoumi

M11+:
Kitanowaka
Churanoumi
Roga

Khizan fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 12, 2023

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
EDITED TO REMOVE TERUNOIFUJI

lets try this again

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Hokutofuji
Kotonowaka
Abi

M1-5:
Ura
Takayasu
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Atamifuji
Kotoeko

M11+:
Tomokaze
Tohakuryu
Oho

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 10, 2023

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Going to pick up a few of the new folks this round, as they haven't disappointed me. Yet.

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Kirishima
Terunofuji

S/K:
Daieisho
Hokutofuji
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Gonoyama
Takayasu

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Hokuseiho
Takanosho

M11+:
Roga
Kitanowaka
Tomokaze

Netsky
Jun 24, 2004
I AM THE STREET

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji

S/K:
Daieisho
Wakatakakage
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Midorifuji
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Endo
Atamifuji
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Tomokaze
Ichiyamamoto
Churanoumi

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks for running the fantasy league Kenning!

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Kirishima
Terunofuji Hoshoryu

S/K:
Hokutofuji
Wakamotoharu
Abi

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Ura
Meisei

M6-10:
Endo
Atamifuji
Kotoeko

M11+:
Nishikifuji
Oho
Tamawashi

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 11, 2023

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Onosho
Ura
Asanoyama

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Kinbozan
Endo

M11+:
Roga
Sadanoumi
Tohakuryu

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

My picks!

Y/O
- Kirishima
- Takakeisho
- Hoshoryu

S/K
- Wakamotoharu
- Daieisho
- Kotonowaka

1-5
- Takayasu
- Gonoyama
- Ura

6-10
- Kinbozan
- Mitakeumi
- Kotoeko

11-15
- Hiradoumi
- Roga
- Tamawashi

11-15 was tough. I rearranged the order a few times. S/K on up I'm pretty solid on though
e: I edited 11-15 again...

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka
Abi

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Gonoyama
Ura

M6-10:
Endo
Kotoeko
Shonannoumi

M11+:
Roga
Oho
Ichiyamamoto

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 10, 2023

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It is time for my brand of sumo. (Inept and accidental.)

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Kirishima
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Ura
Takayasu

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Hokuseiho
Myogiryu

M11+:
Tomokaze
Ichiyamamoto
Tohakuryu

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1720916016308322393
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1720916019307258214
https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1720916021773529253

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Y/O
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka
Daiesho

M1-5
Takayasu
Tobizaru
Ura

M6-10
Hokuseiho
Endo
Mitakeumi

M11+
Oho
Kitanowaka
Roga

Biosys fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 5, 2023

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

:smith:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Daieisho
Abi
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Onosho
Shodai
Takayasu

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Atamifuji
Shonannoumi

M11+:
Roga
Tamawashi
Sadanoumi

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 11, 2023

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka
Hokutofuji

M1-5:
Takayasu
Nishikigi
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Kinbozan
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Hiradoumi
Tamawashi
Churanoumi

Yeah that's a lot of stuff going on in the lower ranks, gonna be interesting to see who gets feast and who gets famine. I believe in the Yokozuna run, and it feels like the perfect time for a year-end Cinderella story clearing the way for Teru to retire without leaving a vacancy at the top.

It would be great to see Papayuasu return to the Sanyaku ranks - he's big enough and clever enough he really should be, if his vertebrae would stop being so awful to him. Doesn't matter to me, though; I'll pick him every basho he's fighting until he retires.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i forget, what was the scandal/rumored scandal there? i rememeber something was alleged to have happened and it wasn't just a standard injury retirement but nothing more

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

He’s an alcoholic and beat up the stablemaster’s wife or something like that..

I don’t like the guy (from like.. sumo, not because he’s got drinking problems), but it’s kind of sad that it looks like he’s just been dismissed and forgotten? If I’m reading it right..

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

some kinda jackal posted:

I don’t like the guy (from like.. sumo, not because he’s got drinking problems), but it’s kind of sad that it looks like he’s just been dismissed and forgotten? If I’m reading it right..
Japan is very good at practically unpersoning someone who hosed up. One example that comes to mind is an actor who had a small role in one season of an anime, was involved in a scandal between seasons, and was replaced by another VA in the next season. I recall another disgraced famous person who was referred to only as "You-Know-Who" when a comedian mentioned him in a TV show. Hell, have we heard or seen much of Harumafuji since he resigned in disgrace?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

some kinda jackal posted:

He’s an alcoholic and beat up the stablemaster’s wife or something like that..

Yeah, the reports - at leas the ones that reached western eyes and ears - were sparse on details but it seemed to boil down to "has a bad drinking problem and gets belligerent/violent when drunk". Sucks.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Kirishima
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Abi
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Ura
Gonoyama
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Myogiryu
Atamifuji

M11+:
Ichiyamamoto
Nishikifuji
Tomokaze

late again.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu
Hokutofuji

M1-5:
Shodai
Tobizaru
Ura

M6-10:
Mitakeumi
Atamifuji
Endo

M11+:
Oho
Ichiyamamoto
Tsurugisho

I always see these things a bit late, and miss a few of my first picks. I hope I'm not too slow to get Shodai!

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

11/9: Edited Y/O

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Hokutofuji
Daieisho
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Ura
Nishikigi
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Kinbozan
Shonannoumi

M11+:
Roga
Tamawashi
Ichiyamoto

Here goes. Tough to decide between Ura and Nishikigi, but with the pink comet at M1 I’m hoping we’ll see a stellar performance that will get him into Sanyaku.

All my trades went bad last time so think I’ll stick with what I get.

FART BOSS fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 9, 2023

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
I've missed a couple of tournaments, but ready to jump back in and try to pick a team that doesn't perform well again.

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Kirishima
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Abi
Hokutofuji

M1-5:
Shodai
Ura
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Shonannoumi
Kinbozan

M11+:
Hiradoumi
Tsurugisho
Tomokaze

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Ura
Takayasu

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Atamifuji
Takanosho

M11+
Roga
Tomokaze
Churanoumi

lots of excitement in the banzuke to close out the year! I'm hyped! looking forward to a strong start and then flailing into mediocrity

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Takakeisho’s neck status is making me nervous about my picks, but hell, I’m going to root for his Yokozuna run until his head pops off his shoulders

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Kirishima
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Hokutofuji
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Ura
Meisei

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan

M11+:
Sadanoumi
Roga
Ichiyamamoto

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Takakeisho’s neck status is making me nervous about my picks, but hell, I’m going to root for his Yokozuna run until his head pops off his shoulders

Yeah, unless he's confirmed out before opening day, I'd rather cheer for the Yoko run and lose.

I think at this stage in his career he's fighting to figure out his legacy as he's right on the border of "great Ozeki, but giant what if he could stay healthy" vs. talented but unfortunately injury prone/short run Yoko.

It'll be interesting to see how he thinks since he did take the drop back to Sekiwake when he first made Ozeki saying his health was more important and had more than enough time to make it back since he was only like 23 at the time, but he's also getting close to the point where due to health, he might not have that many opportunities so he might start forcing it. The Yoko title is forever so how much more of a risk is worth it compared to just another tournament?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Kenning posted:

I've updated the final results post with the corrected scores, and they will be used for the goonzuke for Kyushu.

wait i get a new shikona thanks to the spooky October subforum and then I end up juryo yusho after a scoring mono-ii?? whoa

Shikona: oldskool

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Abi
Hokutofuji

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Shodai
Ura

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Atamifuji
Takanosho

M11+:
Ichiyamamoto
Roga
Oho

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 12, 2023

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

whats the kaiju's status? people are picking him but low, is he expected to be in but people are feating the kyujo in 5 days like the last time?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Last I saw was that he was at the tour, but hadn't really done full workouts yet, so I'm leaning towards expecting him to be back in January if he's at all smart.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Hokutofuji
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Nishikigi
Midorifuji
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Kotoeko
Kinbozan
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Roga
Kitanowaka
Tomokaze

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Thauros posted:

whats the kaiju's status? people are picking him but low, is he expected to be in but people are feating the kyujo in 5 days like the last time?

Kintamayama newsletter posted:

Yokozuna Terunofuji arrived in Kyushu and started training today, facing heyamate Takarafuji for 11 bouts, won them all, 10 by yorikiri. "I think I'm gradually getting better. I will see how I'm doing and then decide if I'm entering Kyushu," he said. "I know that my body is not the kind that heals quickly so I need double the time to get ready," he added. "He is training and is here with the intention of entering Kyushu," said Isegahama Oyakata.

I bet having Takarafuji to train with is at least half of why Isegahama guys are so solid. Dude is the most consistent wrestler, only having some bad tourneys in the last year or so due to declining fitness more than making bad choices in the ring.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Double post! Here is Kintamayama's translation of an interview with ex-Ichinojo:

Kintamayama posted:

Ichinojou gave a very, very long interview to Nikkan today, speaking about everything from his coming danpatsushiki to his relationship with his Oyakata. Short summary:

The past:
No regrets about retiring. "I got the yusho right before that, right? So no regrets. I hope women will also be among those that cut my hair. Not sure who will do the final cut yet (usually done by the oyakata). Alcohol? Everyone drinks too much when they're socializing once in a while. I was even labeled as an 'alcoholic' in a weekly magazine. But I want my fans to judge for themselves. What's the truth? Even now, I sometimes drink with friends but we don't drink too much. I'm going to live in Japan and have a second life, so I hope you'll continue to support me.'' At the end of the retirement press conference, the oyakata and Ichinojou turned their backs, and left in different directions,.which was seen as a sign of the feud. Immediately after walking out the door, he said he didn't "have any particular conversations" with his mentor. According to Minato Oyakata, since the end of Ichinojou's active career, they have only had contact with each other through their lawyers. Even now, there is no direct communication, and the relationship between the two remains distant However, Ichinojou did not mention the feud with his master. "Sumo raised me. Sumo makes you tough, strong, and kind. I am where I am today because I learned a lot through sumo. I still love sumo." When asked about his feelings toward the Oyakata and his wife, he said, ``It's true that they took care of me, and I will never forget my feelings of gratitude." He now has a new goal in life, the hair cutting ceremony, and was smiling as if a weight had been lifted from his chest.

The present:
He currently lives alone in a rented apartment in the metropolitan area. " I no longer have any tsukebitos Since I don't have a driver's license, my associates drive me to greet my supporters. I basically take care of all my fundamental needs myself. I live in a 3LDK apartment. However, I still have a lot of luggage. Akeni, keshomawashi.. One room is only full of luggage. Also, the toilet is small (laughs). But it's fun. I do cleaning and laundry myself but I used to do it at the heya, so I don't have any problems. When my mood 'turns on', I do it all at once. It takes a while for it to turn on, though.. I want to get a driver's license someday.'' Regarding his weight: ``I don't think it has changed.'' He doesn't have a scale nearby that can measure weights over 200 kg, so he doesn't know exactly. ``I haven't been on a diet at all. My appetite is the same as when I was active. However, I haven't been practicing as much as I did when I was active, so my body may have lost its tension and I may look smaller.'' Before coming to Japan to study he used to cook for his younger sister and younger brother. In sumo, he made his debut at Makushita 15, and was promoted to Juryo after three bashos. Since he had no experience making chanko as a junior, he says, ``I told them I can't make chanko.'' However, he currently prefers to cook ``chanko-style'' hot pot dishes. ``I make a lot of Mongolian dishes, but I put bonito flakes and various vegetables in a pot and eat the meat like shabu-shabu. I cut the vegetables myself. There's a supermarket nearby, so I go buy them myself. I sometimes go out to eat with supporters, but at home I cook my own food. I like cooking. I eat two meals a day, lunch and dinner, just like I did during my active days.." He says that the back pain he cited as the reason for his retirement is improving,, ``I feel good now. I'm in good shape.''

The future:
Regarding the future, he emphasized that he has no idea. "I'm thinking about a lot of things, but nothing has been decided. I'll focus on the hair cutting ceremony first, and then I'll move on. Actor? Not really. I'll be going back and forth between Japan and Mongolia, but most of the time I'll be in Japan. I think that since I live in Japan, it will be easier to do many things if I have my Japanese nationality. For now, I am not thinking about changing back to a Mongolian nationality. I will definitely not be able to live without doing anything. It costs a lot of money (utilities, etc.). After the haircut ceremony, I want to focus on the next thing. I want to work mainly in Japan." Any plans to get married in the future?. "No, no, I don't have any (laughs). If I had a wife , she would probably be helping me prepare for the hair cutting ceremony, which would have been been great.. That's why I have to prepare everything by myself. A fiancée? I don't have one..." He did show a bitter smile here and there, but he seemed to be looking forward to his second life. After his retirement, he hardly watched any sumo matches on TV, ``Just checking the results,'' he said, perhaps trying to show that he has moved on.. At the end of the interview, he explained ``Please write positively - this is what I want to convey right now and how I feel right now.'' Then he thought for a moment and added, ``Thank you for everything.'' It's been half a year since his shocking retirement Looking back on his active career, it seems that his strongest feeling was his gratitude towards his fans.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu
Hokutofuji

M1-5:
TOBIZARU
Ura
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Mitakeumi
Kinbozan
Kotoeko

M11+:
Oho
Ichiyamamoto
Tamawashi

Pakled fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 10, 2023

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm pleased that I reached my KK last outing, and aim to reach double figures with my style of sumo this time around

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Daieisho
Abi

M1-5:
Ura
Gonoyama
Takayasu

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Kinbozan
Mitakeumi

M11+:
Tomokaze
Nishikifuji
Churanoumi

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 10, 2023

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Hokutofuji
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Takayasu
Tobizaru
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Kotoeko
Kinbozan

M11+:
Churanoumi
Roga
Tohakuryu

M1-5 was real tough on "do I go with My Guys or do I go with who I think has the best shot". Of course, in the end, I have gone with My Guys. Also betting on the new blood at the bottom, hoping for some big debuts!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm going to hold off on drafting until Saturday since I'm still poring over the scouting reports.

Not that it will do me any good, I'll barely make KK.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eldoop posted:

M1-5 was real tough on "do I go with My Guys or do I go with who I think has the best shot".

Yeah, usually I wind up going through the list and wind up thinking I only like 1 or 1 guys and don't know who to put as a third since I usually see guys who I either don't like or guys that are probably overranked and lose out. This time around, I can come up with a reason to pick most guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Everyone should keep an eye on the results for Tanji Jun. He's at his highest rank of Ms29 and is on his second visit to the third division, nothing too great but he is only 17 years old.