Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Almost finished with the game and it's been a ride.

Im not sure if I wanna replay it anytime soon because the gameplay has its issues like its not really a traditional survival horror game but its not an action game either. Its has elements of both but not done very well.

The gameplay still has weird bugs like sometimes you have trouble picking items from boxes because the pick up prompt doesnt appear unless you adjust the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I'm gonna replay it once the NG+ drops I think. Though I'm annoyed they're sticking extra content behind Nightmare Difficulty too.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

veni veni veni posted:

It was really stupid. I just could not see the ladder that leads to the second part of the subway for the life of me

Haha

I know exactly which ladder you were talking about, and when playing with my girlfriend watching made a joke about how the Resident Evil devs would put yellow paint there

I think part of what has helped with my experience of this game being fairly frictionless so far is that I'm playing on a very recently upgraded big TV. That or you just need to fix your brightness settings

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the issue is that the game puts a white X prompt on the screen for ladders, and that one is either bugged or placed weirdly enough that the prompt doesn't always pop up. I would have seen it if it had a prompt like the other ladders, but it didn't

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
God bless Remedy for the (Alan chapter 4)musical segment

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Shame they didn't have NG+ ready for launch or I would've dove right in like I dead for the Dead Space remake. Might replay this anyway though lol it's just so good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They never put NG+ in Control despite being the perfect game for it. :argh:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I've heard Mayor Setter kills cats

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I've heard Mayor Setter kills cats

You have NO proof of this! This is baseless slander, and you'll be hearing from Mayor Setter's legal representation shortly He's a cat

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
Mayor Setter won’t be distracted by political slander. He always keeps his eye on the ball.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I am really getting frustrated here. what am I missing? how do I get to the basement where Alice's photos are?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just go down the stars behind ahti. take the right and there will a door to the balcony, use the light to change the room

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Saga chapter 3
Good god, does the Mulligan/Thornton boss fight seem like a big step up in difficulty from anything the game's had up until now. I just keep getting a ways into it, and then just get absolutely tanked by the sniper shotgun. It doesn't help that healing is both real-time and fairly slow in this game, I'm often down in a couple shots while I'm trying to get somewhere to shelter.

It also doesn't help that the persistent graphics glitch I've seen in this chapter (a rendered terrain layer lifted a few feet above the actual ground over damp terrain) could not be designed better to hide the swirly darkness areas I need to destroy to stop their respawns :suicide:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Oh my loving god I ran past the staircase like 20 times

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Saga chapter 3
Good god, does the Mulligan/Thornton boss fight seem like a big step up in difficulty from anything the game's had up until now. I just keep getting a ways into it, and then just get absolutely tanked by the sniper shotgun. It doesn't help that healing is both real-time and fairly slow in this game, I'm often down in a couple shots while I'm trying to get somewhere to shelter.

It also doesn't help that the persistent graphics glitch I've seen in this chapter (a rendered terrain layer lifted a few feet above the actual ground over damp terrain) could not be designed better to hide the swirly darkness areas I need to destroy to stop their respawns :suicide:

There's actually a fair bit of time before their respawns and you can pretty much get most/all the swirls in one go. Try hitting the sniper guy with the crossbow when he rocks up. Idk I basically just killed them like normal enemies, got the swirls, killed them again and done

E: the other thing that could help you is charms. I've been using the charm that gives Saga more health since I found it, you could also have a coffee mug charm handy

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 4, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I finally got through it, and yeah, it goes faster once you know what you're doing and plan your way towards hitting the swirls rather than just panicking in between getting shot. But the glitch I was talking about sure makes it harder to find some of the swirls. Here's what it does in a different area, I don't think there's anything spoilery here:

Basically anything with that specific ground texture somehow gets lifted up so it looks like there are small hills everywhere.

It's just a pixel layer so you can maneuver through it and see underneath it, but it makes something like that fight even more of a pain by obscuring stuff near ground level.

e: not disruptive at all, lol
https://i.imgur.com/JbAEt7y.mp4

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 4, 2023

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Goodness that would absolutely make that fight even more frustrating.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
I wound up enjoying this much more than Allan Wake 1, but I do think Max Payne 2 and Control are their best games but I appreciate the balls to the wall going all in on this. If anything it feels like sometimes the "expected" gameplay gets in the way of what they want to do. I'd be fine with just going full adventure game...

I appreciated the Cult of the Tree being locals trying to stop everything. Also Scratch just being vindictive against everyone from the first game. Also the implication that there's maybe not really a Scratch as a separate entity but being in the Dark Place causes a split as we also saw with Saga somewhat.

If anything this makes me want a FBC investigation game where you get get a small town and the outlying areas and get to tackle different investigations and issues at your own pace.

Also this is the canon Max Payne 3.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Alex Casey in this game is way more of a nasty violent freak than Max was in 1 or 2. Max was a goofy bummer, that just happened to be a walking WMD

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Alex Casey isn't downing entire bottles of opioids every 2 minutes

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Alex Casey in this game is way more of a nasty violent freak than Max was in 1 or 2. Max was a goofy bummer, that just happened to be a walking WMD

Book Casey is, at least. Real Casey is just an awkward but nice guy that is also an absolute killing machine if need be

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Okay gently caress this my game crashed during the dark place / mind place deduction scene and I have to do it all over again?

im so close to uninstalling

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
The first boss is shockingly loving awful and hard. Shooting at what seems to be 25 fps on loving PS5 is terrible. Boss also has a massive hp pool, and obviously I missed the shotgun.

Changing difficulty to Story because I'm already not giving any gently caress about this gameplay.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Kawabata posted:

The first boss is shockingly loving awful and hard. Shooting at what seems to be 25 fps on loving PS5 is terrible. Boss also has a massive hp pool, and obviously I missed the shotgun.

Changing difficulty to Story because I'm already not giving any gently caress about this gameplay.

Try changing to performance mode if you havent already

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Play on performance mode and it's a lot smoother

I really haven't been trying to be an obnoxious dick in saying that I've found this game relatively easy and frictionless. The bugs some goons have been getting seem genuinely game breaking or at least frustrating, but I haven't experienced any of them at all, only some mild clipping on geometry for a few seconds and an NPC t-posing once at a funny time, and the game has already gotten patches since then

I'm not an aggressively "hardcore" gamer, I play most everything on standard, haven't got into FromSoft games or hardcore action games like DmC or whatever, and didn't even really play survival horror at all until the recent RE Engine games all of which I've loved unless the Last of Us counts and I don't think it does

Yet I have barely died at all and am largely finding it a breeze, I find this game far less challenging than say RE4R or the Dead Space remake, heck the police chief boss fight early in the original RE4 had me getting stuck far more than anything in this game (he's nerfed and basically turned into a QTE in the remake)

I know difficulty is a YMMV thing but in general this game has been easier to me than other comparable games in the genre i.e it is a much easier game than the Dead Space remake, most RE engine games (other than maybe Village was notably easy outside of the final boss or arguably one early fight where you're forced to get overwhelmed), TLOU etc and several reviewers have also been calling the game frictionless and too easy. I also find this game easier than the first game although that might not be saying much since it's considered a kind of frustrating game even amongst people who like it

So I just find myself seeing so many posts about the game's combat being frustrating in light of that baffling aside from the ones involving bugs (understandable) and... An element of it seems to be that the game is successfully creating tension and panic and rather than seeing that as a good and successful thing in a survival horror game a subset of goons are raging about it

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

WaltherFeng posted:

Try changing to performance mode if you havent already

Why am I even playing this if I have to change to perf? Visuals are like 80% of Alan Wake 2, this game is an absolute spectacle. :shrug:

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Play on performance mode and it's a lot smoother. I'm not an aggressively "hardcore" gamer, I play most everything on standard, haven't got into FromSoft games or hardcore action games like DmC or whatever, and didn't even really play survival horror at all under the recent RE Engine games all of which I've loved unless the Last of Us counts and I don't think it does

So I just find myself seeing so many posts about the game's combat being frustrating in light of that baffling aside from the ones involving bugs (understandable) and... An element of it seems to be that the game is successfully creating tension and panic and rather than seeing that as a good and successful thing in a survival horror game a subset of goons are raging about it

I played all the Fromsoft games and I like difficulty but tbh a boss that I have to fight in a small arena where I can barely see poo poo, with the camera glued to my back, where picking up ammo is excruciatingly slow is not a great intro to the game's combat. He can also do ridiculous teleport dashes, has grabs, whatever. It feels really dumb and out of place for what the game's been so far. Still loving Alan Wake but I can't be bothered to play this on a difficulty other than story because to me this is not brilliant gameplay at all, and it feels like they're trying too hard with the difficulty in a game that's obviously plot driven.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Turn up the brightness and use the dodge button when he dashes towards you

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Turn up the brightness and use the dodge button when he dashes towards you

Killed it on my 3rd try with the gun but I'm playing on Story from now on. The "tension and panic" a survival horror creates during combat often comes from the player being afraid to reload again and again because too many bullets/resources were used in an easy fight, or because the camera isn't adequate or because you're trying to control an incredibly slow character facing ninja enemies in a game (survival horror) that's not really tailored for that kind of gameplay.

I really wish every game in the genre had the gameplay the RE4 remake has (because then no one would dare to complain) but let's face it, probably not going to happen.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How do people keep missing the shotgun that's framed on the wall in a mandatory room

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I don't know either but I'm sure that fella could be beaten with a pistol only too. Iirc you only get given 2 shotgun pellets. Which certainly help but I don't think it's a win button

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Replayed AW1 remastered this week and it was amazing. Such a great game. There is something about remedys storytelling and love to detail that is nowhere else to be found in current games. Just started AW1 and it's beautiful, weird and engaging.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I just got prompted to press enter to continue but instead i pressed space and the game allowed me to continue. Immersion ruined, 0/10 game imo

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

How do people keep missing the shotgun that's framed on the wall in a mandatory room

The flashlight at times is so blindingly bright you dont actually see what you are pointing at. Especially when looking at objects.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was getting pretty sour on this game during the subway tunnel segment, but luckily Watery is an awesome area and I really hope the rest of the game is more like this and less like that.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Finished the game and I think most Alan chapters were fairly weak. I definitely liked Saga's chapters more because they shifted between "this seems perfectly normal" to "oh this is weirddd"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So far I feel like the Saga stuff is a middle ground between like Resident Evil and Silent Hill, while the Alan parts are full on self indulgent Remedy. Which is fine but the former is more fun to play.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

CharlestonJew posted:

Book Casey is, at least. Real Casey is just an awkward but nice guy that is also an absolute killing machine if need be

book casey is hopped up on valkyr

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kawabata posted:

Killed it on my 3rd try with the gun but I'm playing on Story from now on. The "tension and panic" a survival horror creates during combat often comes from the player being afraid to reload again and again because too many bullets/resources were used in an easy fight, or because the camera isn't adequate or because you're trying to control an incredibly slow character facing ninja enemies in a game (survival horror) that's not really tailored for that kind of gameplay.

I really wish every game in the genre had the gameplay the RE4 remake has (because then no one would dare to complain) but let's face it, probably not going to happen.

Thing is, RE4 is not a survival horror game. Like I've never ever even considered it one. Neither is RE Village/8. They're shooters that have horror trappings.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I don't want this game to have RE4R combat. The game's combat isn't mechanically complex, but the fact that this a story focused game, but with infrequent yet aggressive but not mean-spirited combat where enemies tend to be fewer in number but a genuine threat (as opposed to what RE4R is often doing where it's often about large horses of enemies) is really cool and unique. I get that some goons are bouncing off of it but I absolutely vibe what this is doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

My new theory is Alan has been writing Alex Casey books basically the past decade, and that's why everyone is on his rear end to get back to work on initiation & departure.

It also explains why The Dark Place is extremely hardboiled

Well since the game ends on a cliffhanger after they deduce Alan and Saga are both Heroes and the Hero must lose something, I wonder if they are wrong and the actual hero is Alex Casey but nobody knows it yet. We never saw what he did but we know he was important to the progression of the story, and the darkness prioritized him over Saga who had already touched the darkness in her mind. Then again maybe the answer is to make the Darkness the hero, and force it to lose so others can gain.