Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm doing the new Ark right now with a friend on a private dedicated server I rented for a month. I've never played Ark so this is all new to me. It's okay. The novelty of DINOSAURS!!! will wear off pretty quick but for now I'm enjoying it. I've got a bunch of rates changed to make the grind much more enjoyable for the expected lifespan that I'm going to have with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vasudus posted:

I'm doing the new Ark right now with a friend on a private dedicated server I rented for a month. I've never played Ark so this is all new to me. It's okay. The novelty of DINOSAURS!!! will wear off pretty quick but for now I'm enjoying it. I've got a bunch of rates changed to make the grind much more enjoyable for the expected lifespan that I'm going to have with it.

You pretty much have to do that, and turn taming timers way down unless you want to camp out next to a Parasaur you're taming for 3 hours to make sure no raptors eat it.

I think the thing that I like about Ark is there is a huge amount of stuff to explore, and going from literally naked on a beach to having lasers and power armor is super cool.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Jawnycat posted:

Speaking of building mechanics, I recently decided to finally try out Pissgame (Urge) and good god why does it have such a permissive building system (I wouldn't call it good yet, it's extremely finicky and took a bit to grok), in a way I've not actually seen done much before in the genre either.

But it is also one of the most... mildly disconcerting? games I've ever played, honestly. A friend put it as "They somehow managed to make a world of wooden buildings and carpet and cars all give off the same vibe as yellowed plastic from 1980s computers".

I saw “underground building”, and now my dreams will be haunted by “Urge of Moria” a very haunting mix of orcs, goblins, and drunken dwarves pissing out their alcohol. And I can only assume that different types of booze will produce different types of urine. And the purple shadow will be a very different color. Some could be turned into biofuel, other into flame traps and this way lies madness.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jawnycat posted:

Speaking of building mechanics, I recently decided to finally try out Pissgame (Urge) and good god why does it have such a permissive building system (I wouldn't call it good yet, it's extremely finicky and took a bit to grok), in a way I've not actually seen done much before in the genre either. You can just, do whatever the gently caress you like, any drat angle in any drat way, and every building piece is dynamically sized, including doors. I accidently built a door wrong so that it hinged on the top and swung out. And it let's you build on vehicles, so you can madmaxify any car or build a mobile base.

Yeah, here's my purification factory which ended up built just slightly off kilter enough to make it feel like some kind of horror on its own:

Like some non-Euclidian geometry going on there. But I can piss into those two tanks and they automatically go down to the purifiers and then get piped to the outside:

Two holding tanks out there for purified Urlid with shutoff values in between them so I can make sure no contamination gets in. Then the end pipe, I can pull my mobile base up to it for refuelling with safe gas:

The little prefab house slapped on the back of a semi truck, it has storage chests inside and a save point and a bedroll and some planters on the back. The fact that you can build all this stuff in the piss game and it actually works right, or just freehand build a whole structure, is strangely impressive for its weird building system.

quote:

But it is also one of the most... mildly disconcerting? games I've ever played, honestly. A friend put it as "They somehow managed to make a world of wooden buildings and carpet and cars all give off the same vibe as yellowed plastic from 1980s computers". The most recent update teaser captures the games whole Vibe pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CNOCmA4BpE

Yeah, that's also the piss game. It's not straight-up horror in the way 100% horror games are, but it always feels like something's wrong with it. Even most of the monsters sound miserable.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

Yeah turn taming all the way up, and then resource harvest up. Ark is fun, but like a lot of survival games is grindy as poo poo, especially in the beginning with metal because it normally only spawns on mountains and those are either a pain to reach or covered with higher-level critters that can gently caress you up easily.

Recommend you get a Parasaur if you already haven't, they're timid and can be bola'd, so just trip one up and then bonk it on the head with a club until it goes nap time. They can carry a decent amount of weight so they're not bad for harvesting. That or a Moschops because they don't even require a saddle to ride and if you let one wander it'll harvest up a fuckton of poo poo for you while you're doing other things. Also a Lystro because they're passive tames (just feed one a few berries) and while they are useless for just about everything they give your other dinos an XP buff when you pet them. Also they look like hotdogs. The new baby mechanic is fun, find one wandering and if you kill the parent you can adopt it for free, no taming required. Good way to get carnivorous/aggressive dinos since you're probably going to kill that parent anyway before it murders you.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Does Sons of the Forest do the thing where enemy attacks constantly escalate and all bases are thus temporary like the first did?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

A Sometimes Food posted:

Does Sons of the Forest do the thing where enemy attacks constantly escalate and all bases are thus temporary like the first did?
My understanding is that yes, base building is just as useless if not moreso than in the first game, which is a real shame because that was the one thing I was hoping they'd fix.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

down1nit posted:

OK. Wasn't told you were the opinion decider here. Thanks for deciding my opinion even harder now. I've dug in and will not be swayed by whatever your little opinion is.

Just an observation of discussion here and elsewhere.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah sounds like its the same, but like the first one it seems there are locations away from enemy patrol routes so you can build away from that. There's even an island where they physically can't get to you, though I don't remember if seasons and winter were ever introduced to make it freeze over

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I played The Forest last year and it didn't have seasons. Also I built several large bases (including one on that island) and was confused until someone mentioned patrol routes. It's that. Oh and fire, the bonfire is a huge lure. Honestly it's much better as bait than it is as a fire.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Cross-posting myself from the Niche Sims thread, this could cross into a lot of various threads but I think this fits pretty well for survival:
I think I've posted about this game before, but everyone should take a new look:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/951240/Obenseuer/

Open Sewer/Obenseuer is a sort-of-sequel/in the same game world as the puzzle game INFRA, which was neat. Obenseuer started as a weird game like 5 years ago where you are dumped into a weird ghetto for the homeless and specifically those infected with or otherwise exposed to a new fungal disease from special hallucinogenic mushrooms found under the city of Stalburg. You, seemingly by administrative error, are given an entire tenement block. This is a Big Deal because most people are homeless and basically living under stairs and sitting around fire barrels outside and they're going to want apartments.

But before you embark on your big bad slumlord journey, you need to survive. Food and drink are relatively easy to come by, as is enough money to support yourself - but its very easy to fall victim to addictions, which you will start with at the very minimum at least one of. Getting rid of them can be tough, and if (realistically, when) you become infected with the fungal disease, that becomes expensive and cumbersome to manage. Trying to solve these while managing your depression, working various jobs to try and earn money, and then scavenge up enough dosh and materials to upgrade an apartment to the barest of livability is not easy. It's expensive and arduous but you can eventually get tenants and then money slowly starts to come easier, while you can find time to invest in new and exciting ways to make money. (Farming, brewing/distilling, etc.) Then you can upgrade and decorate your own apartment!

The game is playable now in its 'new' state. The prototype game released in like, 2018, was quite a bit different in everything but general vibe. Since then they've basically remade the entire game from the ground up. Just today the dev has released a public beta of the new state of the game. I was in the playtesters over the last few months and let me say that the game is definitely still janky, but they are very responsive to bugs and squash things regularly from their github. If you're looking for a smooth experience, give it a month or two. Otherwise I definitely hope you can support the devs because the game has amazingly weird vibes and literally no one has heard about it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Thank you! I read about that game years ago and couldn't remember the name when I tried to find it, and couldn't even figure out how to search for it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Okay I've been playing Obenseuer for the last four days and I love it. If you played and liked Hobo: Tough Life it'll be right up your alley. It's still very rough around the edges and is very much early access, but there is a solid game here.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve been playing it a ton this week and while I’ve had to restart a few times because my save broke from the play test version updating, it’s got a surprising amount of content packed into that relatively small map. I won’t say what I’ve found but I’ve been really surprised at whole (relatively) big things that aren’t totally hinted at anywhere until you get the breadcrumb for a quest or what have you.

I also didn’t play up that it’s very cheap on steam!Like I said, still definitely has some bugs and needs probably at least a few weeks of bug fixing to be smooth, but I can’t recommend it enough.

It also doesn’t have a lot of players but does have a responsive dev. I’ve put about half a dozen bugs on their GitHub that he’s fixed within a day. (Although of course he only releases maybe weekly-ish.)

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Hobo in the Source engine sounds awesome. Infra was gorgeous.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Man, Obenseuer looks fascinating. Do you have the chance to be compassionate in the game?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Man, Obenseuer looks fascinating. Do you have the chance to be compassionate in the game?

You can be nice to people, and it doesn’t seem like anyone is particularly bothered by paying you as you improve their houses? I’m not sure there’s exactly a true “altruist” vibe to it though.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

down1nit posted:

OK. Wasn't told you were the opinion decider here. Thanks for deciding my opinion even harder now. I've dug in and will not be swayed by whatever your little opinion is.

What genre is this anyway? Permadeath loot gatherer walking sim? It loving owns and I need more.

TLD is by far the survival game I've spent the most time in, got it years ago and pick it up every now and then. Hey, maybe I'll give it some time tonight, it's been a while. The game has changed tremendously, generally for the better, and the Far Territory expansion added some much-needed goals to a survival mode that was getting stale. The campaign never quite clicked for me, it's more of a podcast or music game. Wildlife and weather encounters remain tense even after going through then a hundred times, I guess because the game has real stakes.

There aren't any other games like TLD out there I know of, the lack of building obviously makes it different and the very slow pace is unique. I'd love more games in its vein, Green Hell was promising but ended up being too arcadey and buildy for my liking (the story mode was good though).

Dream game would be TLD with seasons and some kind of light building mechanics. Vintage Story has the closest feel to anything like TLD because it really makes you work for everything, even if the games are very different.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

my bony fealty posted:

Dream game would be TLD with seasons and some kind of light building mechanics.

Oh yeah that would be great but the building would need to be slow moving, like taking an entire season to build a log cabin.

One thing I'd love to see is immersive building mechanics but built around scrapping and having to creatively (without it being gamey) make use of what's available to you.

Not really a survival game, but Space Engineers with the Scrapyard Engineering scenario/mod is so much fun because there is no resource gathering or building unless you've found that part. So you're game is really driven by putting things together and making it work instead of like making these pristine log cabins next to some ruins.

You also can't fly around with a jetpack, so you end up having to actually use cranes to move building stuff into position and setup scaffolding and the like which is cool.

It just throws me out if the immersion in survival builder games where you're building these pristine buildings from fresh resources which doesn't really "make sense" in these scenarios.

Like, I hated how in Green Hell, you can't build on-top or up against the few manmade structures. Which makes zero sense because obviously if you had these structures available to you, you'd focus on improving them instead of building some mud hut palace next to it.

Valheim was really satisfying for this when you got into the deep forest and could fix up an old stone tower and it really had a cool vibe thinking about what history or whatever happened there. Valheim is just the king of those kind of vibes.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i really like that TLD doesnt have any way to have like, a real positive or constructive impact on the world. im too high to articulate the details but it feels thematic to me

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Verviticus posted:

i really like that TLD doesnt have any way to have like, a real positive or constructive impact on the world. im too high to articulate the details but it feels thematic to me

You're not wrong, and there is definitely something that could be said for this human who walks through the land either eating or burning anything he can get his hands on and what that says about the situation. However I would more say that it's just how deep winter works. Even in non "survival" situations if your heat goes out then it's back to burning wood to stay alive, and you sure as hell aren't crafting anything with numb fingers.

I think it is the one of the most "realistic" of survival games that still have modern conveniences like canned food around. I've always been super fond of horror/survival that deals with the cold because it's the closest that modern people get to a situation where you might be in real trouble rather than moderately inconvenienced.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 4, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Verviticus posted:

I don't think this is what you meant, but I do want more survival games that are a lot more 'hands on' and I think its why Vintage Story always pops up in relation to ideas like this. It's the only game that tries to do that sort of primitive survival in a way that really appreciates the actual effort that goes into how hard it is to do a lot of the things games gloss over: Shaping metal and all that.

While I get what you mean with TLD I wanna say that I just sort of want games that let you impact the world do it in a more like, hands on, meaningful way.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Verviticus posted:

I wouldn't mind being able to carry and move containers, at least. I get not being able to construct a reasonable hut that can keep out the cold using what little you can scrounge, but stuff like not even being able to cut down trees always felt a bit odd.

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
I can’t wait for the next phase of the TLD expansion to add in safe house modifications and the travois.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I don't think this is what you meant, but I do want more survival games that are a lot more 'hands on' and I think its why Vintage Story always pops up in relation to ideas like this. It's the only game that tries to do that sort of primitive survival in a way that really appreciates the actual effort that goes into how hard it is to do a lot of the things games gloss over: Shaping metal and all that.

While I get what you mean with TLD I wanna say that I just sort of want games that let you impact the world do it in a more like, hands on, meaningful way.

Me and a mate picked up Vintage Story this week and yeah it's really fun to not be able to just mine most blocks within the first 20 minutes of logging in to a fresh world. And metal is also pretty rare and not around every corner! Crops take a long time to grow too, plus the food spoilage mechanic. I do kind of wish there was a thirst mechanic, because anything that slows down the pace of racing through the "tech tree" just makes things better imo.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Firos posted:

Me and a mate picked up Vintage Story this week and yeah it's really fun to not be able to just mine most blocks within the first 20 minutes of logging in to a fresh world. And metal is also pretty rare and not around every corner! Crops take a long time to grow too, plus the food spoilage mechanic. I do kind of wish there was a thirst mechanic, because anything that slows down the pace of racing through the "tech tree" just makes things better imo.

If you wanna slow things down even more try the Fields of Gold mod, while it only affects farming it makes farming an actual endeavor. Like, you plant in spring and get one harvest in fall endeavor.

Average grow time with the longest time scale for days to a month is ~80 days, varying based on crop (turnips are fast and can crank out several harvests a year, cassava take nearly two years for a single harvest), tho this will scale with whatever you set your timescale to. The amount of crops you get from a single tile has been reduced (depending on crop, mainly affecting the grains, kitchen gardens for veggies are still viable) so you really want to make big, expansive fields covering large swaths of land, like a real farm.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The most fun I've personally had in a survival game was Unreal World. Things take time and it's difficult to do anything that you're not skilled at, and it strikes a much more interesting balance between realism and "game" for me.

One small thing that I like about UW is that hunting a big game like elk gives you hundreds of pounds of meat, whereas in other games you get like 2 chunks instead of 1 because BALANCE. Preserving it also takes so much time that the first time it's very likely a lot of it will spoil...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Been a few years since my last UnRealWorld playthrough. Maybe I should start another one sometime soon.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
While the base game doesn't have it (last I checked anyway), there are some mods that add things like salting / smoking / drying meat to VS. It's not on the same scale compared to URW, but it's pretty easy to let meat rot and go to waste if you just hunt stuff without any planning on how you're going to usefully dispose of it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Expanded Foods mod is pretty great in Vintage Story.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I view expanded foods as mandatory at this point.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Anyone try Kone Brume II? Never heard of this game or it's prequel. Really shows how lovely the Steam recommendation algorithms are. Like seriously, for all the survival games I play, you're giving me anime hentai but not a very obviously similar game as TLD?

Jusr saw a YouTube review and it looks very TLD but with more horror elements it looks like. Plus more Canada!

Looks very story driven though, so may not be as sandboxy for some people.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 5, 2023

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
"Kona II: Brume" for anyone trying to find it on steam. Seems like it leans into the survival horror game genre.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just bought Vintage Story last night and got eaten by a bear before making it 10 steps out of my starting spawn

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009
I've played the original Kona and I don't recall it being much of a survival game. It was more of a fairly linear mystery/horror adventure game. From the looks of the trailer I wouldn't expect the second installment to be much different.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just bought Vintage Story last night and got eaten by a bear before making it 10 steps out of my starting spawn

Welcome to Vintage Story.

Early game if you see wolves and/or bears, run!

Here's a thread for VS:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012729

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Jawnycat posted:

I view expanded foods as mandatory at this point.

It really is, if only for being able to add meat and vegetables to the same pie!

Guns, Nerds, and Steel put out a vid on some survival games coming out next year. I didn't realise there was so much in the pipeline for 2024, just hope some of these deliver beyond early access.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM_0jKuW4_w

VEIN and Under a Rock look particularly neato.

Edit: and Enshrouded

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Been a few years since my last UnRealWorld playthrough. Maybe I should start another one sometime soon.

I bought enough single-version licenses for the game at this point that buying it on Steam with a normal perpetual license is both a drop in the bucket and embarrassing that I didn't do it sooner. I think I got overwhelmed and burnt out at the end of playing it each time but severely underestimated my interest in trying again. Like right now.

Edit: oh my god, development started in 1992 and the most recent update was like two weeks ago. I love the insanity of rogue-like devs.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 5, 2023

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

piano chimp posted:

VEIN and Under a Rock look particularly neato.
I downloaded the Vein demo based on that video since it was free, and it's really slow so far. Not bad per se, but spent like 3 hours just trying to loot up in the starting area. Didn't even touch any of the crafting. Your character walks at a snail's pace and even running is like a fast walk in most games. Zombies are super slow for the most part - there are runners which are a bit more of a challenge but nothing like 7DTD or that ilk. Seems to be going for some of the Project Zomboid-style granularity (you pick traits and a starting "class") plus looting every pile of garbage and drawer but it seems to lack PZ's sense of OSHIT and the interface isn't all that great yet.

Still, since it's free there's nothing to lose by trying it. It is still in an alpha and supposedly the devs are working with community feedback to make improvements so maybe a lot of the rough edges will get sanded down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm sorry that happened. It usually doesn't. I guess the world gen doesn't do any checks that the player spawn location is safe, but I've generated dozens of locations and never had that happen. I have been eaten by bears lots of times. Even once you're geared up, they're still a serious threat.