Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tobermory posted:

Thanks to the glory of the internet, there's one on instagram. jasper_the_coydog

Oh he is adorable. Probably a miracle he even exists given how rare coydogs are even with a stray parent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I call this philosophy 'apartdom'

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Set oof to maximum

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

credburn posted:

I went to LA recently and was amazed and the incredible volume of tiny dogs I saw. Every fifth person walking the street had a tiny dog on a leash. It is the city of tiny dogs.

Tiny dogs are popular just because yeah, but I also imagine the sheer number of them is due to rental units generally only allowing 'small' animals as pets. So you can either get a cat or a chihuahua/etc.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Tobermory posted:

Thanks to the glory of the internet, there's one on instagram. jasper_the_coydog

you can't fool me, I see the green sprouting bits. that's a Chihua Pet.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Waste of Breath posted:

you can't fool me, I see the green sprouting bits. that's a Chihua Pet.

Eee Chihuahua

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Chee-hoowa-hoowa

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When I worked for T-Mobile, we won like 13 JD Power and Associates awards in a row. T-Mobile tried to brand this in ads as being a "13-peat winner."

What the gently caress does 13-peat mean? Its very stupid etymology comes from winning the award twice, which we called a "repeat," then winning it a third time, where we applied the very clever play-on-words "three-peat" (like "re-peat") So four became "four-peat" and five was "five-peat."

This was fifteen years ago so like it doesn't really matter and it didn't really hurt the company any, but everybody who worked for the company hated it (the THIRTEEN-PEAT!!!!!!) posters were everywhere), and I hated having to explain it to customers.

e: it frustrates me because it's the laziest of lazy lazy low-effort word play and I feel the company should have been punished for it.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

When all 13 Petes clash, it will finally open the way to Kingdom Hearts.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

credburn posted:

When I worked for T-Mobile, we won like 13 JD Power and Associates awards in a row. T-Mobile tried to brand this in ads as being a "13-peat winner."

What the gently caress does 13-peat mean? Its very stupid etymology comes from winning the award twice, which we called a "repeat," then winning it a third time, where we applied the very clever play-on-words "three-peat" (like "re-peat") So four became "four-peat" and five was "five-peat."

This was fifteen years ago so like it doesn't really matter and it didn't really hurt the company any, but everybody who worked for the company hated it (the THIRTEEN-PEAT!!!!!!) posters were everywhere), and I hated having to explain it to customers.

e: it frustrates me because it's the laziest of lazy lazy low-effort word play and I feel the company should have been punished for it.

it should infuriate you even more because the JD Power awards are fake pay-to-win-an-award nonsense

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Chee-hoowa-hoowa

Years and years ago, I was on a trip to the southwestern US, finding all sorts of fun places to hike around and see the sights. I was excited to read out the name of one place we visited, the CHEEHOOWAHOOWAN DESERT, only for everyone in listening distance to start laughing. And that's how I realized I'd only heard, and never read, the name of those tiny little Mexican dogs.

No, that doesn't still make me curl up in embarrassment close to three decades later :negative:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Somebody was so proud of inventing the rhyming pun “three-peat” that they used it for thirteen instead.

One of your bosses really loved dad jokes I guess

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It's an intentionally doofy thing as a joke

It's actually p decent marketing, honestly because people pay attention to things that are odd

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A fifth-third better! 166%!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Years and years ago, I was on a trip to the southwestern US, finding all sorts of fun places to hike around and see the sights. I was excited to read out the name of one place we visited, the CHEEHOOWAHOOWAN DESERT, only for everyone in listening distance to start laughing. And that's how I realized I'd only heard, and never read, the name of those tiny little Mexican dogs.

No, that doesn't still make me curl up in embarrassment close to three decades later :negative:
I had a similar experience with Chiricahua National Monutment, but fortunately was alone so didn't say it out loud to anyone else.

If you're American you've definitely heard Chiricahua said out loud at same point since they were an important Native American tribe, but my brain just didn't connect the two.

Google pronunciation surprisingly gets it right:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=en&tl=es&text=Chiricahua&op=translate

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

credburn posted:

The New Orleans Zoo has a banner outside that says it's the 6th best zoo in America. I mean, points for honesty, but why wouldn't you just say "top 10" or something. All "6th best" does is make someone hit up their phone to see what the 5 better ones are.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

We Got Us A Bread posted:

The New Orleans Zoo has a banner outside that says it's the 6th best zoo in America. I mean, points for honesty, but why wouldn't you just say "top 10" or something. All "6th best" does is make someone hit up their phone to see what the 5 better ones are.

Maybe they have a grudge against the 7th best zoo.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

HopperUK posted:

Maybe they have a grudge against the 7th best zoo.

In your FACE Saint Augustine Wildlife Preserve!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Do you think anyone in their life has ever been outside a zoo and thought to themselves "actually, do i want to go to this zoo, i could drive a few hours to go to a different zoo"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's even worse when you learn that there is only six zoos in America.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Alaois posted:

Do you think anyone in their life has ever been outside a zoo and thought to themselves "actually, do i want to go to this zoo, i could drive a few hours to go to a different zoo"

People in NYC with multiple zoos to choose from?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

What fuckin life are you living where you think people are picky about zoos

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Why would I go to the zoo?

I ALREADY LIVE IN ONE

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Alaois posted:

"If we go up to tier 5, you can see a red panda!"
"Cool! What does tier 6 have?"
"Dead panda."
"...well poo poo."

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Alaois posted:

One where people have leisure time and disposable income.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
So where can i get quality zoo reviews

Is there a Yelp for zoos?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Fishstick posted:

So where can i get quality zoo reviews

Is there a Yelp for zoos?

The top tier zoos are, in no particular order,

San Diego
Omaha
National Zoo in DC.
Georgia Aquarium

All worth traveling just to go there.

Second tier is
Columbus
Oakland
SF
Philadelphia
Disney's Wild Kingdom
Most other zoos

Madison Wisconsins Henry Vilas Zoo is free, cute, and very nice.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I was not prepared for how good the Omaha zoo was going to be. I only traveled there for another goon's wedding and then we decided to use the day after to go to the zoo and, like, drat, I could've used a couple of days just to see the whole thing. The cave system was one of the coolest things I've seen.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
This is the (reader poll) that the sign seems to be about : https://10best.usatoday.com/awards/travel/best-zoo/

As a resident of Orlando I can confirm that Brevard Zoo is spectacular, so this list might hold water. There's a separate list for aquariums.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

San Diego
Omaha
National Zoo in DC.
Georgia Aquarium

Second tier is
Columbus
Oakland
SF
Philadelphia
Disney's Wild Kingdom
Most other zoos

Madison Wisconsins Henry Vilas Zoo is free, cute, and very nice.

Detroit and Toledo both have great ones and they're like an hour apart.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

This is the (reader poll) that the sign seems to be about : https://10best.usatoday.com/awards/travel/best-zoo/

As a resident of Orlando I can confirm that Brevard Zoo is spectacular, so this list might hold water. There's a separate list for aquariums.
I think Brevard is ok, and feeding giraffes from above is neat, but we used to live near Omaha so …

About that list, I was really surprised to see Indianapolis on there, but the last time I visited it was about 2006. Anyone know if it has significantly improved in the last 15 years?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I think Brevard is ok, and feeding giraffes from above is neat, but we used to live near Omaha so …

About that list, I was really surprised to see Indianapolis on there, but the last time I visited it was about 2006. Anyone know if it has significantly improved in the last 15 years?

Seventeen!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Don't forget to check out your local library! Ours has a family pass to a local zoo that you can check out during the summer

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Henchman of Santa posted:

Detroit and Toledo both have great ones and they're like an hour apart.

Toledo zoo is REALLY underrated and has a way cool splash garden for the kids.

Columbus zoo is right up there with San Diego in my book. One of the benefits of living in the Akron/Cleveland area is the access to all the zoos. Columbus, toledo, Cleveland … even the Akron zoo has its charm, and the Erie PA zoo does as well. Plus the drive thru safari in Sandusky!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The big thing with Brevard at least the last time I went was the overhead course. You can do an overhead obstacle course between the trees and go through or very close to several of the enclosures, and that's just neat as hell. Sometimes you can also kayak. Just very different ways of experiencing the animals, and you'll often have their rapt attention which is cool.

If you don't do that it's probably closer to 6/10 than top 10 in the country.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GPTribefan posted:

Toledo zoo is REALLY underrated and has a way cool splash garden for the kids.

Columbus zoo is right up there with San Diego in my book. One of the benefits of living in the Akron/Cleveland area is the access to all the zoos. Columbus, toledo, Cleveland … even the Akron zoo has its charm, and the Erie PA zoo does as well. Plus the drive thru safari in Sandusky!

I live in the Akron/Canton area and I'm real stoked to be able to take the baby Len to the various zoos. Maybe next summer? I don't know how babies develop

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Beachcomber posted:

San Diego
Omaha
National Zoo in DC.
Georgia Aquarium

:flag: Including an aquarium in a list of zoos, technical foul, 10 yard penalty, repeat second down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sea animals > land animals, it counts :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Huh. The aquarium I used to work at cracked the top ten! (Mystic) Impressive. There was a video circling around from there awhile back of a Mariachi band playing for a beluga, who was very into it. That was also at Mystic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sea animals > land animals, it counts :colbert:

Lots of aquariums have other animals, too. Plenty of birds at the Tampa Aquarium, for instance.

The KC Zoo just added a massive aquarium addition and rebranded as the KC Zoo & Aquarium. I haven't been yet but it looks pretty cool.