Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Stroman opting out is an unexpected surprise. $21 million more to spend on offense! :woop:

(sign Bellinger)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1720829510373830712

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I was expecting Stro to opt out. He’ll get a multi year deal somewhere for sure.

Just more money for Ohtani, Belli, and Yamamoto GOP Super PACs :smith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Is it time for Stro to fulfill his destiny and become Astroman?

Nah Crane will pinch pennies and run Urquidy out there

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Huh there you go. Had a feeling this was 50/50: I doubt Stroman beats a $21M AAV next year, but he definitely figures to find some kind of multi-year deal worth more overall. Thanks for the half-season you pitched really well I guess!

Anyway go sign Yamamoto, Cubs.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Whoa.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That one was expected, unfortunately. Votto's coming off two pretty bad and injury ridden seasons, and the Reds weren't gonna pay $20M hoping for a bounce back at age 40. Now it's time to see if he retires a career Red or goes down the Nelson Cruz mercenary 40-something path.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can votto play SS or RF?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Reds told Votto and let it leak publicly like 2 months ago that they would be declining the option. He says he isn't retiring, so I guess he's off to one of those places like Pittsburgh where baseball careers go to die.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
What an exciting off season for the Rockies to do absolutely nothing again!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Brewers already shedding payroll:

https://twitter.com/tigers/status/1720852462532198742

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

In Guardians news, Calhoun went to Free Agency which isn't surprising - he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire. And in response Cleveland appears to have... claimed a completely different struggling 1B/OF guy off Pittsburg's waivers and promoted a rookie to the 40-man. :geno:

I know the fact that Cleveland being cheap means there's little to get excited about in the offseason (especially this offseason where the hitting FA market is so depleted everyone's going for a premium) but like man come oooooon.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
there was a chance he wouldn't, but he did it anyway

https://twitter.com/EvanPetzold/status/1720863516813623638

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Brewers already shedding payroll

Buncha teams trying to poach Counsell too

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

turkey in the hay, turkey in the stro

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Reds told Votto and let it leak publicly like 2 months ago that they would be declining the option. He says he isn't retiring, so I guess he's off to one of those places like Pittsburgh where baseball careers go to die.
this is kinda sad after all Votto has said over the years about wanting to be a one-team player for his career

He definitely left some money and winning opportunities on the table by staying in Cincinnati, maybe they can work out a deal for a bit less money to let him have a retirement tour with the Reds

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tim Anderson is now a FA

I wonder if he will actually be able to turn it around or not

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Is it time for Stro to fulfill his destiny and become Astroman?

Nah Crane will pinch pennies and run Urquidy out there

I think Brown has said that the rotation is already set up for next year. Astros will focus on replacing relief pitching and a backup catcher....exciting.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

this feels a bit nutty because I clearly remember when he signed that big contract (in 2012) and how it ran til 2024 and thinking how far away that was. Like maybe it was the first sports contract I heard of that went into the 2020s. And now the day has come. oh boy

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I don't think anyone expected they'd pick up the club option, so I too am on team "I hope he signs and stays in Cincinatti for less money" or that he just retires and starts his coaching career now

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I hope Votto catches on somewhere and gets a ring but I don't know where he could go where they need a 1B and also are in the running

e: I mean catches on where he can start, not riding the bench to a ring

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Votto is washed up. It's not a matter of needing a 1B/DH, it's a matter of having a gaping black hole there. Which only bad teams are going to have. The only interested teams will be the no-hopers who just want someone fans have heard of to put on the marketing materials. Pirates, Rockies, A's, and such.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I can promise you the A's will not spend what it will cost to get Votto, all like 7 or 8 mil of it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Votto come home to Etobicoke

I'll meet you at San Remo

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

I hope Votto catches on somewhere and gets a ring but I don't know where he could go where they need a 1B and also are in the running

e: I mean catches on where he can start, not riding the bench to a ring

Votto and Grienke not getting rings is a tragedy

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Maybe he'll put on 20lbs and become a beefy lad.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

this is kinda sad after all Votto has said over the years about wanting to be a one-team player for his career

He definitely left some money and winning opportunities on the table by staying in Cincinnati, maybe they can work out a deal for a bit less money to let him have a retirement tour with the Reds
But also they should have just picked it up anyway because $20M is a fair price to ensure that he's only got your team's name on his plaque, I'd be pretty pissed if the Dodgers nickel-and-dimed Kershaw over that much no matter how much worse his shoulder gets

MrMidnight posted:

Votto and Grienke not getting rings is a tragedy
Looking back from the current vantage point, it is wild that the Dodgers never even made it to a WS with the peak Kershaw-Grienke duo. Those teams really hurt for the lack of Friedman depth and bullpens.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 4, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

(sign Bellinger)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MazurFocus/status/1720899588582785417

Rangers huh?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm glad we'll have a few months here to get excited that maybe he'll sign with someone other than the Dodgers, before he signs with the Dodgers

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I made a post like over a year ago that he's definitely going to the dodgers. just goofy to assume anything else but the inevitable, awful truth

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
He'll fit in great with the Giants.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In 2016 my mom and her partner took a trip to Japan, and she brought me back a Fighters Ohtani jersey. I have worn it once, when I went to an Angels game in 2018, but he wasn't playing that day. It hangs in my closet, waiting patiently for the day it can emerge victorious.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

it'll be great to wear the first time ohtani and the cubs visit LA, agreed

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

thats now how you spell Cubs??

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Monathin posted:

In Guardians news, Calhoun went to Free Agency which isn't surprising - he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire. And in response Cleveland appears to have... claimed a completely different struggling 1B/OF guy off Pittsburg's waivers and promoted a rookie to the 40-man. :geno:

I know the fact that Cleveland being cheap means there's little to get excited about in the offseason (especially this offseason where the hitting FA market is so depleted everyone's going for a premium) but like man come oooooon.

I love Tom Hamilton as much as most members of my own family, but if you listened to him the last month of the season you would have thought Kole Calhoun was the ultimate veteran pickup and was going to 1993-Fred-McGriff us into the playoffs. And he STILL would have better to keep around than signing Rivas.

Jonathan Rodriguez being added reeks of another off-season of “we are going to fill the holes with multiple options internally and sort it out in spring training”. It’s not like Bieber is going to bring back a major OF upgrade at this point, so here’s to more chances for Oscar Gonzalez and Will Brennan in 2024😩

Here’s hoping Joey Votto wants to come here and be the new 2013 Jason Giambi!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Please

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

lol thanks Dallas reporter for reporting something absolutely no one else is reporting

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I think he’s gonna go to the Dodgers, which is cool, but something about him going to the Giants feels more awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Its that time of year where every agent leaks to the press that the Rangers are a possibility to drive up the bidding.