Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

There is a corner in my basement with a coax outlet on each wall. When I moved in there was a 6 inch coax cable running from one to the other.

The loving walls are 80s wood panels that can be removed and rehung. Installing two outlets had to have been more effort than popping the panels off and running the cable behind them.

I'd post a picture but I've installed some bookshelves in that otherwise worthless corner so they're hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
In my upstairs, I have a coax cable just laying on the floor, running along the wall, across the stairs, along another wall, and then behind a wood panel. No idea where it goes from there, that wall is an external wall, I don't see any cable on the outside of the house, maybe it goes down behind a wall in the kitchen and into the basement? I wanna get rid of this bundled up cable I'm never going to use, but I don't want to just cut it and have a mysterious cable inside a wall to deal with in the future.

Maybe in the spring...

The previous owner did all this to get a coax cable into that room, but there is only one electrical outlet. Priorities.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

One electrical outlet is all you need when you can daisy chain power strips and extension cords.

*Not that I recommend that, but I am sure it is probably what happened.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DrBouvenstein posted:

Love that the cable installers in the 80's/90's just drilled nice, 1/2" holes DIRECTLY through the hardwood floors in every room.
:thumbsup:

I wish it was only 1/2", there's a hole in my living room that is 1 1/4". It needs a huge stopper in place to keep the double cables from falling back through.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Nope. Hell no.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
https://twitter.com/jnyboy/status/1720256034017546595

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Squid Game inspired architecture

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GroverAI has come far, it looks totally believable

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Maybe combining heated floors with fireplaces was a bad idea

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Nenonen posted:

GroverAI has come far, it looks totally believable

No joke, how soon until we have actual AI/ML designed houses? Current programs already take care of roofs and electrical right? It seems like the next step for McMansion/tract builders is to ditch whatever architects/designers they have and trying to enter "3 Bed craftsman ranch" into ChatGDP or whatever.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MH Knights posted:

No joke, how soon until we have actual AI/ML designed houses? Current programs already take care of roofs and electrical right? It seems like the next step for McMansion/tract builders is to ditch whatever architects/designers they have and trying to enter "3 Bed craftsman ranch" into ChatGDP or whatever.

You know the algo will come up with obnoxious unlivable poo poo like this and landlords will LOVE it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4oQDnHlrR0

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Poorly reinventing the hypocaust I see.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

This kills the bedbug

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

You all act like you’ve never heard of baseboard heating :rolleyes:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Just Winging It posted:

Poorly reinventing the hypocaust I see.

Maybe they should take some pointers from what the Romans left behind

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Jusupov posted:

This kills the bedbug

Having had bedbugs, I understand the impulse to burn down the house.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

You know the algo will come up with obnoxious unlivable poo poo like this and landlords will LOVE it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4oQDnHlrR0

Japanese apartment building sucked me off?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

canyoneer posted:

Squid Game inspired architecture

To me it looked more like a video game dungeon. Or one hell of a dance club, possibly literally.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

It looks even better once the pyrex casings are installed. It gives a homey portal to hell sort of vibe.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I believe that has been posted before. I maintain that the only thing crappy about it is they didn't continue the trim around the top part.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I really like that. At worst it's a kinda strange interior design quirk in a room that very few people will probably see up in a kid's room or something. At best it's a joyful expression of whimsey that you can always take down when you go to sell the place.

You can just imagine how it came to be also as they were holding the offcut piece of door.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

:stare: Anyone have a theory what’s actually happening in portal to hell house up there?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kaom posted:

:stare: Anyone have a theory what’s actually happening in portal to hell house up there?

That room is under the sloped part of the roof; it probably used to be an unfinished attic. Sloped roof = sloped ceiling that is higher at one end than the other.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No the track was wet.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

DrBouvenstein posted:

This might have been posted in here already but:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cwg_kU8Irmw/
Edit: Really that's more like a late 80's home? I feel like mid to late 90's hardwood was making a comeback and you'd have oak or maple cabinets everywhere, and poo poo tons of recessed lighting.

Pretty sure I have that carpet in the "this will never go out of style" scene, but in orange.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That room is under the sloped part of the roof; it probably used to be an unfinished attic. Sloped roof = sloped ceiling that is higher at one end than the other.

I assume they were asking about this one:

https://twitter.com/jnyboy/status/1720256034017546595

and the only explanation I can think of is "walking around a house that's actively on fire", possibly as part of firefighting training.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I am guessing unreal engine

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tunicate posted:

I am guessing unreal engine

Yeah I can't put my finger on it but the light isn't correct, the highlights on those flames should be more white and less orange/red.

e: I don't recommend going to that guy's twitter to look this up

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 6, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, no smoke.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

canyoneer posted:

We sent a crew to do a post construction whole house clean for an occupied home. This is sorta odd, especially with the timing since the home was finished 6 months ago.

Turns out the homeowners were snowbirds and had moved stuff in during the spring, and were just now getting back in town. The house was unoccupied for months during the hottest part of the year. The HVAC wasn't running this whole time, so to keep the humidity up the builders left big buckets of water distributed throughout the house. Don't want the wood to shrink or warp.
In the meantime, some mosquitoes moved in and used the buckets of water to turn the house into a $500k mosquito nursery. The place was COVERED in dead mosquitoes.
Took a team of 2 about 5 hours to get the place presentable.

A housemate of mine some years ago had an even better story. There was a guy who lived alone, was morbidly obese, and didn't have many friends. So when he died, nobody realised for a few weeks. By this time the house was full of dead flies, and the body itself had basically liquefied. The flooring and the base of the drywall were saturated with putrescent human fat.

My housemate said it was the fastest reno he and that crew had ever done, and their boss got them all commemorative T shirts afterwards.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 7, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That's not better! I hated that story!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We had an elderly cat hoarder in our town. Was unable to keep up, so she apparently didn't bother with cat boxes or litter disposal for years. One bedroom had like six inches of cat litter cover.

They only found out how severe a problem it was when she was placed in a nursing home. They took over 90-living cats out of a slab rancher...and found an additional 40 that had expired, some inside the walls.

They sent in a crew to try and sanitize the property, but the urine was so deep into the framing they wound up demolishing the structure.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Load bearing urine?

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Orvin posted:

Load bearing urine?

Pee is stored in the walls

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

...and the floor sheathing. And the floor joists. And the sillplates...

They gutted the house of all floor coverings, flood-cut the drywall 2-feet up, removed whole walls of drywall to, uh, clean out the biomass that was there (mummified, mostly) and it still reeked of ammonia; they had to wear P100s at least, which didn't really stop the smell. When the wind blew, you could smell it in the street.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

they had to wear P100s at least, which didn't really stop the smell

Well no obviously even if you keep the windows up, the fan is pulling air from the house.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I had a similar project with a fully flooded underground basement, where at least 40 cats lived in squalor. We arrived on day 4-5 and the water was still standing, up to the entry door on the 1st floor. We were able to pump out water, but the decomposing biomass was something like 40" deep. Couldn't pay anyone any amount of money to shovel it out.

Thanks for reminding me of that 🤦

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://i.imgur.com/l3790GX.mp4