Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Carillon posted:

I was about to say no, he has films better than that! But then I went and looked at his filmography, and I think you're right. Pretty much everything is fine to good (though I never understood what people loved about The Social Network)

Social Network is all about the Sorkin script and if you're not on his wavelength there, you'll be kinda sleepwalking through the movie. Gone Girl is only as strong as the source material, as was Benjamin Button. His original ideas like The Game and Seven are his strongest work because he can just do whatever but when he has to hew to someone else's text it gets a little fuzzy. With the exception of Fight Club because it's like he and Palahniuk are sharing a brain for that one. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is, for all his techniques, just ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Gone Girl owns

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I went to Lviv for work and the host team took us to an escape room place that had one setup themed on The Game

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

BOTTOMS : not quite the raunchy answer to American Pie but a really good, hilarious counterpoint that lesbians can be stupid about sex too. Marshawn Lynch has no business being this funny, but it works. A mashup of Fight Club, Mean Girls and a dozen other movies that still has tons of charm and grit and all of that. Loved this .

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just finished Freaks (1932). Just barely over an hour long, but it felt surprisingly fresh and honest. Loved how all the relationships worked behind the scenes of this traveling circus. My heart broke every time that wonderful dwarf actress was on screen. I loved it.

The two famous scenes (‘one of us’ and the vengeance in the rain) have way more dimension to them in the context of the film. The ‘one of us’ chant is a quite touching ceremony, utterly ruined by the trapeze woman who makes a really detestable, but believable antagonist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Game is so close to being a great film

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

what makes it not?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Carpet posted:

Anatomy of a Fall (Justine Triet, 2023)

Gripping and very well done family/courtroom drama, featuring a fantastic central performance from Sandra Hüller (who's having a great 2023 as she also plays the camp commandant's wife in The Zone of Interest), along with performances from a child and a dog that refute that old maxim. The central mystery itself is very compelling, and I found myself tensed up on multiple occasions - there's one particular scene 2/3s of the way through that they'll be using on the highlights reel for Hüller's Oscar nomination.

Nicely shot, with camera movements (fast zooms into someone's face, whip pans to something happening off screen) that in certain moments give it a documentary feel - and there's some sequences where we see what's being recorded on a handheld digital camera.

There's also an interesting use of language - it's a French film, with a lead character who's and married to a Frenchman, who have lived in rural France for a few years after living in London, with a francophone son. However she mostly speaks English, including in the courtroom scenes as she isn't as fluent, while the judge, prosecutor and defence continue to speak French.

Perhaps 20 minutes too long, but I'm looking forward to seeing it again and trying to pick up on the little clues or moments I might have missed the first time around.

The screening of this one last night was a "mystery film" one (actually the same evening as its UK premiere) and there were surprisingly few walkouts - I heard a few groans when the French production companies came up on screen (Canal+ avec le participation de... etc) but they stayed seated through the opening scenes. Five or so walked out when we saw the first French characters speaking French 20 minutes in, after the opening titles - but were they asleep for that part immediately before which was in English? Anyway, their loss.

very late edit: totally forgot to mention that a steel band cover of a very popular song from 2003 plays an important part in the plot, but I guarantee you will not be able to guess the track
cosign with everything you said, also looked up the track on youtube and the comments did not disappoint

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

BOTTOMS : not quite the raunchy answer to American Pie but a really good, hilarious counterpoint that lesbians can be stupid about sex too. Marshawn Lynch has no business being this funny, but it works. A mashup of Fight Club, Mean Girls and a dozen other movies that still has tons of charm and grit and all of that. Loved this .

Probably the closest point of comparison this movie has is actually Not Another Teen Movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Doctor Sleep (Mike Flanagan, 2019)

I had been putting this one off for a while because I needed to be in the right mood to watch it. I like Flanagan's work a lot, especially when it comes to horror. I enjoyed this film, but not as much as I hoped I would. It didn't feel like a horror film. The main characters are just more powerful than the antagonists, so much so that there really is only a few moments where you feel as though they are in real danger. That's honestly the first time I've felt that way in a Flanagan film. You are constantly on the edge of your seat with Hush (it's incredibly creepy), Oculus is disturbing, and Ouija: Origin of Evil is just :discourse: when it comes to using small, bizarre effects (the head-tilting, the whispering, crawling). Those films keep you in suspense about how the heroes are going to survive.

The best way I can describe this film is like if IT started off with the Loser Club knowing how and having the ability to beat Pennywise. Rebecca Ferguson's "steam vampires" here are only threats to people without Ewan's and Kyliegh's gifts. They're an interesting supernatural threat, and I wish that they were given a chance to really show how dangerous they could be to people who have "the Shining."

I feel like this is a movie with a ton of good ideas, ones that didn't need to be attached to The Shining. I just wish it has a chance to fully develop them. I feel like this could have been another IT, where children have to drive off a group of monsters that are hunting them this time with the help of a mentor.

Oh well, now I feel like I should watch IT Chapter 1 again...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I have a wicked cold and just watched Kiki's Delivery Service for the first time.

The best word to describe it is cozy. I have a feeling I'll be watching it when I get sick for the rest of my life.

What an absolute delight of a film.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i think im coming down with something myself and still have never seen it. might be the move for tonight

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Since the October horror watch thread is done and over, and I'm still going cuz I'm addicted to horror now for whatever reason im going to post what I've seen here. If that's not cool, let me know.

Creep (2004)

I think I watched the wrong Creep that everyone thought was decent. I found out there is one from 2014 and a sequel to that as well. This one had really decent special effects, but it just had too many dumb plot moments for me to handle. It also didn't help that everyone in the movie were jerks with the exception of a few people who weren't the main characters. No bueno.

2.5/5

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Philthy posted:

Creep (2004)

I think I watched the wrong Creep that everyone thought was decent. I found out there is one from 2014 and a sequel to that as well. This one had really decent special effects, but it just had too many dumb plot moments for me to handle. It also didn't help that everyone in the movie were jerks with the exception of a few people who weren't the main characters. No bueno.

2.5/5

Yeah, that's a different Creep. Here's the one you want:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

what makes it not?

Flubs the ending, doesn't sell the game as well as it should, doesn't convince as to why all his co workers and associates would agree to the game when he is a total rear end in a top hat to everyone, the mexico part felt unnecessary except him selling the watch.

Laura Really wish the movie had Kept Laura dead. A man becoming obsessed with a dead woman is much more interesting than a wrong body murder. Leidecker stole the show and I wish that he'd have killed Laura so the movie could've ended completely black instead of with a pretty unconvincing hollywood ending. The Detective flipping through all of Laura's drawers and letters before falling asleep in front of her portrait is the best sequence in the film and it's too bad the rest of the movie hadn't been that kinda thing.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Since the October horror watch thread is done and over, and I'm still going cuz I'm addicted to horror now for whatever reason im going to post what I've seen here. If that's not cool, let me know.

Creep (2004)

2.5/5

I want to see that one just because Sean Harris plays the monster. Apparently he spent the whole time on set hanging from the ceiling making weird howling noises and freaking the other cast members out

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 6, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Child's Play (1988)

Finally had a chance to watch this after literal decades of trying. The start is a bit of a slog when you know Chucky is alive, but I can see how they were trying to frame it as a possible Omen situation with the child being the villain. After the first 20 minutes or so, the story really picks up, and really hits the gas at the reveal. The voodoo stuff feels a bit out of left field, but considering how these movies usually have the villain created, the villain willingly transferring his own soul feels surprisingly refreshing.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

MokBa posted:

Probably the closest point of comparison this movie has is actually Not Another Teen Movie.

it's not quite 100% full on parody, but yeah there's so much over-the-top nonsense that it almost does fall into that hole

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

V/H/S/ 85

I've seen a few of these, but hell if I can remember which ones. I hadn't seen this one before, and I actually liked this quite a bit. The 80s aesthetic hit home, and the stories were all engaging. None of them seemed like throwaways. I'm having a hard time deciding which one I liked the best as they were all above average compared to most of the compilations I've seen imo. I think maybe the first one because of the twist. Thumbs up.

3.5/5

Clipperton posted:

I want to see that one just because Sean Harris plays the monster. Apparently he spent the whole time on set hanging from the ceiling making weird howling noises and freaking the other cast members out

The makeup effects they did for him were really fantastic. They didn't skimp on the effects, at all.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

place beyond the pines

rewatched in full for the third or fourth time and bumping it up to a 5/5

you guys talk about vibe movies? this poo poo is pure vibe for at least an hour straight then mixes in some police procedural and family drama and stays strong throughout.

ben mendelsohn plays one of the strongest supporting roles i've ever seen with limited screen time.

this movie rules

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Miami Vice maybe the closest thing there is to a perfect movie. Despite being two hours and change the movie is relentless, starts with the foot on the gas and never lets off. Gong Li and Farrell have some of the greatest chemistry ever captured on film and the insanity of their whirlwind romance is contrasted beautifully with the sudden brutality of the gun fights in the movie. In the end they both got in too deep, nearly lost the ones they loved, didn't get the bad guy, but god drat they're still partners.

Worried that my buddy wasn't get the vibes but the second Numb/Encore started blasting out the club the man clicked it all into place.

The Other Guys The entire time I was watching this I was imagining how insufferable the film would be if modern McKay made it. Coogan steals every scene and Will Farrell is as resoundingly unfunny as always. Like to consider this a sequel to boogie nights for Wahlburg

Escape from New York love the style of this film but the action, plot, characters basically everything else leaves a lot to be desired. I think I built the film up too much in my head but even still I found the movie about sneaking into a prison island surprisingly dull.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Other Guys kind of peaks at the “aim for bushes” scene, but still has some good bits here and there (wahlberg ballet) that I remember more than the plot.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Michael Keaton police captain moonlighting at bed bath and beyond was a good bit

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Michael Keaton is rarely bad at anything though I’m not looking forward to a Beetlejuice sequel.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Don’t forget Rob Riggles constant bullying leading to the desk pop lol

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Bound (The Wachowskis, 1996)

First watch and I enjoyed this one. The film leaves you barely a moment to breathe in between the plotting, and making and breaking of plans, and the betrayals and double crossing and paranoia. Technically it's very impressive with some great visuals moves like the "slow motion" fall backwards of the dead mob boss and even proto bullet time at one point (and I'm sure Don Davis reused a few musical cues for his Matrix score), but it still seems a big step up from this to the Matrix. The Arrow Videos release looks a bit rough: not the highest quality in the darker scenes and some visible scratches at other points - could do with a new 4K restoration.

Good selection of contemporary and more recent making of features - I hadn't realised Jennifer Tilly's regular voice sounds normal.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

3 From Hell

What a ride this was. I really enjoyed the first two movies in this series, and this third one delivered. I think most of the budget went into fake blood. Unnerving at times, as it seemed to go harder than the previous two on the tortures. But it wrapped up fairly well. This had some Natural Born Killer vibes going on mixed in with some Desperado.

4/5

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Skinamarink the gently caress was this?

But really I think I disliked this. It’s too long and generally annoying to watch with the static, flickering tvs, and weird limited fov and camera angles. The camera angles are often at nothing and when they do pan, it’s so slow as to make it feel creepy. But there’s no rationale to these angles like with paranormal activity. And when something does happen, it’s violence to little kids.

There’s some good images, but most of the time you are just watching a wall, a tv, or black static.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Quiz Lady

What a delightful little movie. I have no idea why it was rated R, I don’t think anyone even says gently caress.

Solid humor and with some genuine heartfelt moments. Awkwafina is not very good in general, but the jokes still land. Sandra Oh is a delight, as usual. Will Ferrel is fantastic even while he plays a much more subdued character than his usual fare.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Punch Drunk Love This is the first time I've watched the film on a decent sound system, my god did I underrate how good the score is. One of the tensest most anxiety inducing scores I've ever heard. PTA in this film finally manages to merge his manic and his deliberate sides rather than skewing one way or the other for the whole film. One of the great film, can't believe people discounted this.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Psycho

I haven't seen this since I was a kid, and even then, I probably only paid half attention to it. It was fantastic to watch this, not remembering most of it. I can only imagine seeing this in the theater back in 1960 when it was first released. Big thumbs up.

5/5

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just saw the second spider verse movie. Still arrestingly beautiful, but the spidermans gimmick of gimmick spidermans is worn thin, the plot makes the mistake of getting bigger instead of focusing on the characters we already had, so that after a good opening the middle is a big mess. There's some ridiculous predestination philosophy that's obnoxious to even have to hear characters engage with seriously, and then they spent so long screwing around there's not even an ending. Where I started to where I ended is such a gulf! I'm not just disappointed, now I don't even trust them not to do even worse with the next one. A poor follow up to the most refreshing super hero movie, what a waste.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

Just saw the second spider verse movie.

completely agree. i really loved the first movie and kicked myself for not seeing it in theaters bc it was such a breath of fresh air.

the sequel is soooo bloated and directionless. i felt myself getting more and more disappointed as the minutes dragged on until it just ended out of nowhere. i hope they stick the landing with the next one but i'm not convinced.

too bad

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Punch Drunk Love This is the first time I've watched the film on a decent sound system, my god did I underrate how good the score is. One of the tensest most anxiety inducing scores I've ever heard. PTA in this film finally manages to merge his manic and his deliberate sides rather than skewing one way or the other for the whole film. One of the great film, can't believe people discounted this.

Magnolia also has really great sound too. The opening sequence has so many layers of different sound effects all playing off or over each other.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Carpet posted:

Anatomy of a Fall (Justine Triet, 2023)

Gripping and very well done family/courtroom drama, featuring a fantastic central performance from Sandra Hüller (who's having a great 2023 as she also plays the camp commandant's wife in The Zone of Interest), along with performances from a child and a dog that refute that old maxim. The central mystery itself is very compelling, and I found myself tensed up on multiple occasions - there's one particular scene 2/3s of the way through that they'll be using on the highlights reel for Hüller's Oscar nomination.

Nicely shot, with camera movements (fast zooms into someone's face, whip pans to something happening off screen) that in certain moments give it a documentary feel - and there's some sequences where we see what's being recorded on a handheld digital camera.

There's also an interesting use of language - it's a French film, with a lead character who's and married to a Frenchman, who have lived in rural France for a few years after living in London, with a francophone son. However she mostly speaks English, including in the courtroom scenes as she isn't as fluent, while the judge, prosecutor and defence continue to speak French.

Perhaps 20 minutes too long, but I'm looking forward to seeing it again and trying to pick up on the little clues or moments I might have missed the first time around.

The screening of this one last night was a "mystery film" one (actually the same evening as its UK premiere) and there were surprisingly few walkouts - I heard a few groans when the French production companies came up on screen (Canal+ avec le participation de... etc) but they stayed seated through the opening scenes. Five or so walked out when we saw the first French characters speaking French 20 minutes in, after the opening titles - but were they asleep for that part immediately before which was in English? Anyway, their loss.

very late edit: totally forgot to mention that a steel band cover of a very popular song from 2003 plays an important part in the plot, but I guarantee you will not be able to guess the track
Just saw this tonight, amazing film. I've never been carried along by actor's performances like I was by this, everyone was incredible. So many little details in the script too, I've got no idea how a film like this even gets made.

Not for everyone, but if you like slow, methodical procedurals you'll probably love it.

It probably is 20 minutes too long, though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lego Batman Movie Pretty fun for what it is. Certainly better than Snyder's idiotic take on the Batman franchise. I've never seen the Lego movie so I was actually pretty surprised with how fun and inventive the brickwork was in the film, writing could've been a little tighter and the film should've been a little more batman and a little less WB ip

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Holy poo poo Ikiru

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Carillon posted:

Holy poo poo Ikiru

is there a reason this is coming up more lately? it's playing at a theater near me this week and i have the dvd borrowed from the library but someone has a hold on it right after me which never happens

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The British remade it last year. No idea beyond that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gaius Marius posted:

Lego Batman Movie Pretty fun for what it is. Certainly better than Snyder's idiotic take on the Batman franchise. I've never seen the Lego movie so I was actually pretty surprised with how fun and inventive the brickwork was in the film, writing could've been a little tighter and the film should've been a little more batman and a little less WB ip

You should definitely see the Lego Movie itself too. Its give-no-fucks meta treatment of Batman was one of the funniest things about it, and I almost think doing a whole movie about "that" Batman kinda belabored the joke out of existence. (All the other IP being in it is the only thing that saves it from that really.) If you can go into it with fresh eyes it's fantastic.