Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dameius posted:

Doing reps for Jesus.

"You will deny me three times, three sets of denials, then we're gonna do supersets of denials, high reps, really build that denial up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Correct. Right on, Jake!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yeah, like it's actually pretty easy to trace back the origins of the "schools are transing the kids" myth - the popularization of Sudden Onset Gender Dysphoria and the "social contagion" theory, followed by a conservative media blitz on trans-supporting school policies piggybacking on lockdown-era grievances and echoes of Qanon. It makes sense that a panicked conservative would make the logical leap, but as an outsider it's just bizarre since we weren't led there by brainworms. It's like how we can look back at the McMartin preschool case and immediately see that it was bullshit, but that didn't stop grown-rear end adults from thinking Satanic high priests were torturing their kids for 7 hours a day and using dark rituals to hide the marks.

Funnily enough, I've heard more than a few Evangelicals and conspiracy theorists starting to refer to LGBTQ acceptance as a "sex cult", so if current trends continue, we'll be full swing into Satanic Panic 2.0 by this time next year. (Or depending on how you define it, Satanic Panic 2.5.)

It also works to undermine public trust in public schools as an institution, not to mention teacher's unions. You'll also frequently see it contrasted with poor academic performance in American schools to give the implication that the math teacher is too busy transing kids and guilt tripping them for their whiteness to teach them actual algebra.

But also, there's just this constant insecurity from reactionaries that their children might have positive influences outside their control that go against their own ideology. Blaming teachers/schools is also a way they infantilize their kids (particularly neurodivergent kids) on the assumption that kids are far too impressionable and naive to be able to make these self determinations on their own.

The McMartin case also came at a time of growing anxiety about mothers leaving their kids in daycare while they worked full time. As more and more middle class women started working full time careers the demand for childcare went up, and since boomers were already pretty atomized (far less likely to live in a multigenerational home) it was just more probable they'd have to send their kid to a private daycare. The idea that actually you're putting your baby at the mercy of satanic rituals was also an indirect way of shaming mothers for leaving their kids in the care of strangers.

Also I heard that one of the therapists the prosecution used was basically paid a fat stack by the county for every kid she counseled, and thus had a clear financial incentive to make this into a big deal- the more kids that could be manipulated into reporting satanic acts the more clients she'd have, and the more she would get paid. If your job is paying you to find kids abused by Satanists, you'll drat well bet you'll be finding them in every school, ice cream truck and clown show.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Medullah posted:

Yep I'm an old so I got to grow up during the great 80s Satanic Panic. One of my friends' ultra religious parents took all of his Dungeons and Dragons books and threw them into a bonfire. Jokes on them, he became an atheist!

That happened to me as well, though much less dramatically.

I think my favorite memory from that time was when my buddy's Catholic mother invited us to play D&D at her house so that she could make sure it was safe. She came down a couple hours into the session and was shocked that it was just a bunch of dudes sitting around a table throwing dice and talking.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Hell I'm a little younger and I had a friend who I played D&D with in high school, circa 2005, whose mom demanded that she sit in on the next session so that she could make sure that her boy wasn't doing anything nefarious.

After about a half hour of us mostly just haggling with a goblin shopkeeper, she just went "oh okay I'm good" and let us be. We just needed to show her we were just nerds and we weren't bringing out daggers for blood rituals.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Hell I'm a little younger and I had a friend who I played D&D with in high school, circa 2005, whose mom demanded that she sit in on the next session so that she could make sure that her boy wasn't doing anything nefarious.

After about a half hour of us mostly just haggling with a goblin shopkeeper, she just went "oh okay I'm good" and let us be. We just needed to show her we were just nerds and we weren't bringing out daggers for blood rituals.

You did bring out the daggers for blood rituals after she left, right?

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Silly Burrito posted:

You did bring out the daggers for blood rituals after she left, right?

Yep, we cast the mind bondage spell on her and she bought us $200.00 worth of D&D figures and manuals. It was great!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Whenever I hear about demonic D&D I just think about how I used to play it with a DM who was the son of a pastor, and we would set up a ring of candles to play at their house in the back of the church. Maybe I should have found an actual Satanist to play with, the Holy Ghost might have been keeping the demons that cause you to be a good DM away from our group, instead we got the "I'm bored everyone dies" guy.

These kinds of panics are always hard to pin down because the D&D craze was at least somewhat kicked off by grieving parents whose kids killed themselves. The responsible thing was for their friends and family to step in and console them in a healthy way, but when it's a choice between functionally saying "they were depressed in a way that you possibly had a hand in" or letting them run off on an insane crusade in a way that you don't have to do awkward things then hey, latter is easier.

Now social media has us in a generally rolling panic where someone will pull out a gun and shoot their Uber driver because they thought they were being kidnapped, due to seeing a sign for a Mexican sounding city when driving near the border.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 3, 2023

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

gonna bet that a list called "top 5 Marxist ideas that the person who shared this can name" would be similarly blank

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Animal-Mother posted:

"You will deny me three times, three sets of denials, then we're gonna do supersets of denials, high reps, really build that denial up."

The body of christ is swole.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

“Martha, i have good and bad news. I sat in on a session and the good news is our sons aren’t practicing satanism. The bad news is they’re loving nerds, Martha.”

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dienes posted:

Have they never paid for a meal with a credit card? Why on earth do they think tipping wouldn't be possible?
tip me cash, i don't have to pay taxes on that

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

World Famous W posted:

tip me cash, i don't have to pay taxes on that

* For certain definitions of "don't have to" :eng101:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Deuce posted:

The body of christ is swole.

I mean, if I understand correctly, the word used to describe his profession as a carpenter really meant something more along the lines of construction site laborer. He wasn't making fine cabinets, he was putting up buildings. Jesus was probably a really physically strong dude.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

I mean, if I understand correctly, the word used to describe his profession as a carpenter really meant something more along the lines of construction site laborer. He wasn't making fine cabinets, he was putting up buildings. Jesus was probably a really physically strong dude.

Only tangentially related, but we apparently don't know what Plato's real name was. He was an OG-Olympic-gold-medalist wrestler and operated under a stage name. Plato just means "broad" and was what he competed under.

Aristotle's notes apparently mention how Plato would sometimes end debates by standing up and flexing. Dude was swole.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

Jesus in 2023 would have been a union leader

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DarkHorse posted:

Aristotle's notes apparently mention how Plato would sometimes end debates by standing up and flexing. Dude was swole.
Which just solidifies my view that alpha-bro podcasts would be greatly improved if someone could walk in and harass them and their entire audience with a plucked chicken.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

CuddleCryptid posted:

Jesus in 2023 would have been a union leader

Jimmy Hoffa was gonna rise after three days but uh... That was prevented.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Animal-Mother posted:

Jimmy Hoffa was gonna rise after three days but uh... That was prevented.

He did rise, but Giants Stadium got in the way of accomplishing anything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

It's that time of the year!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I want different Christian sects to have extremely specific, deadly serious Christmas traditions. I want to see sectarian violence over tinsel color. Excommunication because you prefer Rocking Around The Christmas Tree instead of Carol of the Bells.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

"You don't know about the CRT? That's where they're changing all the pronouns." - overheard when an old lady came into our office to see if we had a local election today (we don't).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I wonder what would happen to these Christianists if you wished them a Happy Chanukah.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I wonder what would happen to these Christianists if you wished them a Happy Chanukah.

They would loudly berate the nearest minimum wage employee

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Everett False posted:

"You don't know about the CRT? That's where they're changing all the pronouns." - overheard when an old lady came into our office to see if we had a local election today (we don't).

Central Rapid Transification has a thousand million banks of switches, and they're fixing to flip em all. They'll flip yours eventually if you don't stop them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Eagerly awaiting the stdh.txt about some Karen at Starbucks going on about how when the barista asked her name for the order, she proudly declared "Jesus is the lord, Merry Christmas" and then a nearby veteran was able to stand up out of his wheelchair to salute the flag/the barista hissed and bared her fangs before bursting into flames.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Huh no "these are not gop loses" from last night stuff yet-you would think they would see this one coming

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I actually respect Christmas people who reject Santa, trees, sales, and candy. If you want to get rid of all the heathenism and just do God stuff, fuckin do it! Do it all the way!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Living in New England, I like to remind people that the only actual war on Christmas ever waged in America was by the puritans, who correctly pointed out it was all adopted pageantry and not biblically supported. If you put up a tree or don a Santa hat, Increase Mather and Cotton Mather scowl from beyond the grave.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I just like all the pretty blinky lights we all put up at Christmas. I’m a sucker for a good Christmas display.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I feel like there should be a term for something that is functionally a good and positive message that is given in the most ominous possible way. I feel like they're about to bring me into a cult.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

CuddleCryptid posted:

Excommunication because you prefer Rocking Around The Christmas Tree
this would be correct to do

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ashcans posted:

Living in New England, I like to remind people that the only actual war on Christmas ever waged in America was by the puritans, who correctly pointed out it was all adopted pageantry and not biblically supported. If you put up a tree or don a Santa hat, Increase Mather and Cotton Mather scowl from beyond the grave.

Puritans were never not scowling anyway so who cares?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I took a colonial American history class in college and my biggest takeaway was that puritans were hosed up assholes who deserved to be discriminated against in England and things would have been better if they had all gone the way of Roanoke. And the Mathers were particularly vile assholes.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I took an elective course on the history of witchcraft and came away with this very same conclusion as well.

Europe did nothing wrong.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Trivia posted:

I took an elective course on the history of witchcraft and came away with this very same conclusion as well.

Yes they absolutely did. Europe let them escape.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Professor Beetus posted:

I took a colonial American history class in college and my biggest takeaway was that puritans were hosed up assholes who deserved to be discriminated against in England and things would have been better if they had all gone the way of Roanoke. And the Mathers were particularly vile assholes.

Some of my relatives have done the genealogical research for me to know for certain that if the various Puritan colonist groups disappeared, I would most definitely not exist. And I still agree.

Trivia posted:

Hey, same. Course was super interesting but the historical figures we spent so much time on were awful people, especially in the Americas.

111023_4
Nov 11, 2023
the latest? some kooky poo poo about the Judiciary no longer existing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010