Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Just for those who don’t know RPG.net also bans discussion or even really passing mention of Macris and ACKS because he threatened to sue them at some point.

The fact that he’s managed to do this more than once is impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
My first exposure to Gor was through the MST3K of the movie "Outlaw"

I had no idea about all the red flags and stuff until years later, but it makes sense given the context of the movie.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Arrrthritis posted:

I had no idea about all the red flags and stuff until years later, but it makes sense given the context of the movie.

So, Cabot then?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

CABOT?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

What’s really funny about Outlaw of Gor (the movie) is that it’s mostly a standard, dumb 80’s Cannon Films sword-and-sandals fantasy movie with some names from the books.

So it still clears the incredibly low bar of being better than the books, by virtue of expressing such controversial takes as “slavery is bad” and “men shouldn’t have sex with women without their consent.”

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I think Outlaw of Gor laundered the reputation of Gor because it is way worse than that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arrrthritis posted:

To this day it's still one of the horniest movies the crew has done.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arrrthritis posted:

I had to explain it to my mother.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I bought a couple Gor books from a used bookstore once, not knowing what they were other than some old fantasy series. The first one I read was the original which was mostly just a boilerplate fantasy book, not entirely terrible. The next one I read was from somewhere deeper in the series and was nothing but wall-to-wall repetitive bdsm horseshit. I guess dude found his groove or whatever.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I love that I was trying to hunt down the MST3K movie on wikipedia by way of the novels and the wikipedia page has *several* paragraphs on the taxonomical nomenclature of sex slaves on Gor.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Apparently Venger Satanis has created his own set of X-Cards for when games are not sufficiently upsetting and/or grognardy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hyphz posted:

Apparently Venger Satanis has created his own set of X-Cards for when games are not sufficiently upsetting and/or grognardy.

gonna cut himself on that edge if he's not careful

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hyphz posted:

See, people think Darrick was banned from RPG.net for casting spells at the mods but no.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I was going to post houseplants of gor but eh just google/bing/duckduckgo/whatever it

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So John Wick has left Chaosium. They'll still be publishing the 7th Sea Line including Khitai, though.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Honestly Venger is such a non-entity in the industry, a hanger-on to someone everyone else already mostly ignores, I find it incredibly hard to see any value in just knowing he's done some stupid new thing. Does he manage any "up yours woke moralists" Petersonian hilarity or anything minimally worth posting about?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So John Wick has left Chaosium. They'll still be publishing the 7th Sea Line including Khitai, though.

I backed 7th Sea 2nd Edition on the strength of my affection for the setting. I’ve never seen such a core resolution mechanic I have bounced as hard off as the core books.

Got 6 players together, created characters, I jotted down a scenario and the first scene it all stopped making sense to me.

My core gaming thesis is that games should feature meaningful choice, if there are no choices, its not a game. If a game says

“You must choose between saving these three people and each person takes 1 action to save. How many actions do you have?”
“Um, 7 that a problem?”

That was my experience running 7th Sea, I spent half an hour thinking up consequences to deal with in a scene and writing them out, a total of 20 things to spend successes on and the characters rolled 30 successes and just did everything. A massive amount of effort from me for basically no tension after the dice are rolled.

I looked up the example of play, in it the GM basically sets all these obstacles in front of the PCs, has them spend all their successes getting the McGuffin, then has the bad guy spend 1 success at the end of the scene to steal the McGuffin and escape with no chance of being followed.

Just baffled how that got through any amount of play testing.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
That was my experience too (with the same love for the 1E setting) except we limped along trying to make it work for six months.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

HidaO-Win posted:

I looked up the example of play, in it the GM basically sets all these obstacles in front of the PCs, has them spend all their successes getting the McGuffin, then has the bad guy spend 1 success at the end of the scene to steal the McGuffin and escape with no chance of being followed.

That is a very John Wick thing to do.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I backed it off hype alone and now I keep getting free pdf books I don't want.

That whole kickstarter is a shining example of unrealistic stretch goals and excess and poor planning.

The fact that it shipped with a terrible, impenetrable, and borderline unplayable core system should have been fatal for the core book alone, and should have ended the line then and there. It would have, were it not for Wick huffing his own farts and being bad at planning.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone gives a poo poo about 7s2e anymore. I don't think anyone's given a poo poo for years now. I don't think many people are playing it now or still waiting for the books. I don't know how that system carries a session, much less a whole campaign.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I backed as a birthday present for a friend, and then picked up most of the whole line of physical books for a song from a regretful backer, because I have A Problem. I've played in a few short campaigns and run one. They went pretty well, but we were all basically just house ruling on the fly at all times. There are some interesting ideas in there that could use a few more iterations to maybe be fun and cool, and also better editing since you have to house rule just because the rules don't explain themselves clearly enough.

I don't particularly give a poo poo about the setting, especially the expanded stuff in the supplements, and for such a basically light core system that doesn't work very well, if I ever do anything like it again I'd just write my own thing from scratch.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 6, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like the setting deserves some credit for all the genuine effort that went into being multicultural, but yeah, the system is a mess.

I also am never going to forget the editing note that never got removed from Secret Societies, where during the bit about ship captains sending homing pigeons back and forth between ships it says "[[XX - homing pigeons do not work this way]]".

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like the setting deserves some credit for all the genuine effort that went into being multicultural, but yeah, the system is a mess.

I also am never going to forget the editing note that never got removed from Secret Societies, where during the bit about ship captains sending homing pigeons back and forth between ships it says "[[XX - homing pigeons do not work this way]]".

Yeah, there's a shocking amount of work and skill that went into this bizarrely mediocre-as-a-whole game. I tried to make this point in a recent RPGnet thread where some folks were complaining that the Kickstarter would likely never fulfill 100% and therefore the whole enterprise was an unfinished ripoff after delivering like a dozen high-production value books in the first couple years following funding. Like yeah, they overpromised but also, system quality aside, they made good on an astounding proportion of that promise, thanks in large part to the hard work of people other than Wick. But I made the mistake of bringing up that Wick is a weird rear end in a top hat as an aside, so the main and I think only response was "you did not sufficiently talk bad about Wick" and then just repeated all the poo poo I had been talking about in my post in the first place.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Looks like bad slipcase design is infecting everyone, even companies who literally built their goddamn brand on cardboard boxes full of cards: WotC delays Deck of Many Things releases due to manufacturing issues

quote:

Overall, this product is incredibly gorgeous and they were obviously going for wow-factor production value. But man, Wizards just can't do anything right these days. First of all, I had to destroy the slipcase by way of a pull-tab to open the box. What a foolish design choice. This set cost $100, one of D&D most expensive product offerings. Owners of this set are going to want to keep it on their shelves in the slipcase. Even adding the ability to tuck the flap back into the box (like a cereal box top) would have been a better design choice.

Then, the slipcase the cards came in was way too tight for me to get the card box out. I tried and tried and finally, out of frustration, had to cut it away and destroy it. That made me sad. It was lovely.

Then, once inside the card box, I was shocked to discover that the beautiful, gold-edged cards were badly warped. I mean badly warped. And strangely, they're not even cut to the same size. There are three slightly different sizes to the trim job. Quality control anyone? Hello? If I'd actually plunked down 100 bones for this thing, I'd be livid and would want my money back.

It turns out, my experience was not isolated. As review copies got sent out and the responses and reviews started coming in, pointing out these issues, Wizards announced that they were delaying the Nov. 14 release "after an internal review…found the product didn't meet our manufacturing standards." Wow, they got all the way to shipping before they discovered the cards were warped and badly cut? Crazy.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

As long as they want to take is fine by me, speaking as someone piggybacking on that name recognition as of May with my drink deck thing:

https://www.amazon.com/D%C3%BCngeon...ext=Jef+Aldrich

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kestral posted:

Looks like bad slipcase design is infecting everyone, even companies who literally built their goddamn brand on cardboard boxes full of cards: WotC delays Deck of Many Things releases due to manufacturing issues
TIL boingboing still exists. Wow.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I was really looking forwards to the DoMT. Did they just not look at the production proofs? Or did the factory farm the work out to I've that normally makes knock off boardgames?

Guess it won't arrive till the new year now.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Angrymog posted:

I was really looking forwards to the DoMT. Did they just not look at the production proofs? Or did the factory farm the work out to I've that normally makes knock off boardgames?

Given the last year -- especially the botch job that is Phandalin and below -- quality is not job number one at WOTC.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

What happened to phandalin and below?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

HidaO-Win posted:

I backed 7th Sea 2nd Edition on the strength of my affection for the setting. I’ve never seen such a core resolution mechanic I have bounced as hard off as the core books.

Got 6 players together, created characters, I jotted down a scenario and the first scene it all stopped making sense to me.

My core gaming thesis is that games should feature meaningful choice, if there are no choices, its not a game. If a game says

“You must choose between saving these three people and each person takes 1 action to save. How many actions do you have?”
“Um, 7 that a problem?”

That was my experience running 7th Sea, I spent half an hour thinking up consequences to deal with in a scene and writing them out, a total of 20 things to spend successes on and the characters rolled 30 successes and just did everything. A massive amount of effort from me for basically no tension after the dice are rolled.

Just baffled how that got through any amount of play testing.

That's pretty much our experience as well, with a side of getting to the climactic fight and realizing you either brought a Swordsman or a half dozen pistols to a fight because otherwise they'd make swiss cheese of your whole party since Swordsmen run on a completely different and vastly superior action economy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Messing with the action economy is the land war in Asia of RPG design.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Honestly it was blatantly obvious that there was intended to be a separate dueling system that got crammed into the normal combat rules at the last minute because they wanted to get to press in time for hard copies at GenCon 2016.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Functionally the core mechanic was a worker placement game, where everyone had their own private tableau that had to be designed by the GM in every scene. Also the players could roll and have more workers than available spaces on the tableau.

So basically, the point of tension in the scene was before you rolled once, because after there was nothing but spending successes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

HidaO-Win posted:

Functionally the core mechanic was a worker placement game, where everyone had their own private tableau that had to be designed by the GM in every scene. Also the players could roll and have more workers than available spaces on the tableau.

So basically, the point of tension in the scene was before you rolled once, because after there was nothing but spending successes.
Ha, we were talking about making a worker placement game RPG in one of these threads a while back and it never even occurred to us to add "roll for number of workers" as a step because it's so obviously stupid. Just lol at that "...and don't forget the rolling to see if you succeed! Gotta have rolling for success!" mindset.

If you want worker placement + rolling then you can do something like roll for the galaxy where you roll to see /what/ you can assign to, not how many you have.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a reason they call these things the sacred cows of game design. It just doesn't occur to people not to include them. (that said, 'sacred cow' as an inherently negative and irrational thing has always came off a bit racist)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

dwarf74 posted:

TIL boingboing still exists. Wow.

Much diminished from its glory days, it's basically a tabloid now: the Trump era broke some brains over there and you get a lot of "MAGA politician DESTROYED by..." sort of clickbait. I still skim it because it's occasionally a useful aggregator for the stuff it used to be good at: weird Disney things, nerd stuff, technology stories, etc. Can't say I'd actually recommend it though, it's more of an old habit.

You want some real oldschool though? Slashdot is still around and doing fine.

Angrymog posted:

Eastmabl nailed it IMO. It's starting to feel like WotC is approaching its enshittification point, core competencies are falling apart while they try to squeeze blood from stones.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doesn't 7th Sea 2E's system, fragile it already is, break entirely when you have more than three PCs?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Doesn't 7th Sea 2E's system, fragile it already is, break entirely when you have more than three PCs?

I can tell you, it definitely does with 6. The cognitive load to design the consequences to spend your successes on is extreme at the table and should likely be done as prep work and that load only increases with more players.

And while that’s a manifestation of the problem thats immediately apparent it’s not the root problem, you could get an LLM to automate the process for you and the end result would still be an rear end backwards mechanic because all the tension evaporates from the scene the second you have made your roll, you can either cover your bases or you can’t.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Dawgstar posted:

See, people think Darrick was banned from RPG.net for casting spells at the mods but no.

That was the first time he was banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cessna posted:

That was the first time he was banned.

That is more specific. Dishaw finally got the boot for good was because he likened feeling himself turning into a tentacled horror as the same as somebody's gender transition.