Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dokapon Findom posted:

Why would you need peoples approval to take the plane, it's flying with or without you on it unlike a private jet

Lol yea early covid when planes were flying all over the planet completely empty should have dispelled any myth of individual action on air travel emissions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lol yea early covid when planes were flying all over the planet completely empty should have dispelled any myth of individual action on air travel emissions

So far in this century there's only been 19 people whose individual actions had a direct and immediate impact on reducing airline emissions, but it only lasted for a couple of days

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol goddamn

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Dokapon Findom posted:

So far in this century there's only been 19 people whose individual actions had a direct and immediate impact on reducing airline emissions, but it only lasted for a couple of days

one weird trick to offset your emissions that the united states government hates

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Dokapon Findom posted:

Wow

As I've said before, the things that would make an actual difference, we are not allowed to talk about

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

toggle posted:

shits hosed, no one in power cares

many are saying this

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dokapon Findom posted:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Dokapon Findom posted:

:hai:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Dokapon Findom posted:

i thought it was just the one guy :v:

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Cup Runneth Over posted:

the fault lies not in our stars but in our systems

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Actuary X posted:

the things that would make an actual difference, we are not allowed to talk about

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

From 2020

https://ieep.eu/news/more-than-half-of-all-co2-emissions-since-1751-emitted-in-the-last-30-years/

quote:

Slightly over half of all cumulative global CO2 emissions have taken place since 1990, the year of the first IPCC Assessment Report. The report re-confirmed anthropogenic climate change in a way that could not be ignored and led to the creation of the UNFCCC.

The year 1990 is often considered the latest dividing line after which policymakers can reasonably be considered to be aware of the dangers of human-induced climate change and thus clearly responsible for containing it, particularly in the countries responsible for the bulk of emissions until then. Indeed, significant civil society mobilisations were already underway by that time, and change was possible then.

quote:

The graph above, however, clearly shows that not only did we not succeed in reducing emissions following those warnings, they have, in fact, also grown substantially, and we have now emitted as much since 1990 as in all of history before that time. This is a significant failing of political and policy leaders. It represents a debt to future generations, as our collective carbon debt continues to pile up.

The longer serious climate action is delayed, the more disruptive both adaptation and mitigation will become. The last generation of leaders has shifted an increasing burden onto the next generation; today’s leaders cannot afford the same mistake.

This is what really crack pinged me. Half of human carbon emissions are from the past 30 years, but the solutions are all "starting in 2040," "starting in 2035," "starting in 2050" when hard dates are even set. Policy makers, optimistically, are committing to doubling human carbon emissions before they begin to do anything

e: lmao look at how emissions skyrocket under Obama

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

one of the more believable subplots in Ministry of the Future is that air travel is finally mostly brought to an end by regular, random drone attacks on passenger airplanes by a secret ecoterrorist group, making everyone afraid to fly

they also murder oil billionaires in their homes

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was with a climate researcher when trump won the election and he started crying on the spot and he explained that he just realized in a single moment that all his research was a waste of time.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

TeenageArchipelago posted:

This is what really crack pinged me. Half of human carbon emissions are from the past 30 years, but the solutions are all "starting in 2040," "starting in 2035," "starting in 2050" when hard dates are even set. Policy makers, optimistically, are committing to doubling human carbon emissions before they begin to do anything
They're calling it the most sustainable civilization in the history of the universe

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

I was with a climate researcher when trump won the election and he started crying on the spot and he explained that he just realized in a single moment that all his research was a waste of time.

if i were a climate researcher i would cry on every election night and also every night

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gravid Topiary posted:

hi can you extend the graph right further i've got this concern

Concerns about 5 more loops not pictured are alarmist and unfounded

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

lmfao

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm glad it stopped altogether in 2020.. nature is healing

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

If it took Trump getting elected to realize that they werent that bright to begin with

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I don’t think I ever really believed we’d get through the collapse of the ecosystem, but I probably only felt it viscerally when I read a terrible science fiction book back in 2004. So that’s a bit embarrassing.

Also, I think it’s probably wrong to think lots of people throughout history would have given much of a poo poo about whether human civilisation was continuing somewhere, as they went through their own localised apocalypse— I don’t know if all those prophets would have the reaction to this we might expect them to with our 2023-era minds

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The day I learned that 63 cruise ships owned by Carnival Corporation released more toxic sulfur gasses than all the cars in Europe (The article is new but the research goes back several years) was the final crack-ping moment for me. We, as consumers, have no way to effectively reduce emissions when 63 cruise ships dump emissions in the air than all of the cars in western Europe combined lmfao.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Salt Fish posted:

Call them up and explain it was the exact same under every other prez in their lifetime. Their research was a waste starting at the first day on the job. Make fun of their degree. Really rub it in.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

smoobles posted:

I'm glad it stopped altogether in 2020.. nature is healing

Seriously. The carbon in fossil fuels, you know where it was before it got trapped underground? IT WAS IN THE AIR! ITS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!!! 200 million years ago there was 2,000 ppm of CO2 in the air and we're doing our part to fix what the dinosaurs broke.

We're fixing it in record. loving. Time. gently caress yeah

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

And oops it turns out that burning tons of lovely bunker fuel was actually cooling the planet, good thing that's over and done with

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

yeah tbh I completely bought into the belief that climate change was real, but its worst effects would be felt by people in 2100. which I guess is technically still true but the curve of fuckedness is much steeper than I thought and guys like me in their 30s will get to experience a whole lot of incomprehensible horrors!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fell Mood posted:

Call them up and explain it was the exact same under every other prez in their lifetime. Their research was a waste starting at the first day on the job. Really rub it in.

Excuse me, this isn't true at all.

Republicans: Climate change is a hoax/Climate change is natural but not manmade, but number must go up! As such, drill baby drill.
Libs: We see you, we hear you, we believe climate change is natural and manmade, but number must go up! As such, drill baby drill.

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 18:02 on Nov 5, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

smoobles posted:

yeah tbh I completely bought into the belief that climate change was real, but its worst effects would be felt by people in 2100. which I guess is technically still true but the curve of fuckedness is much steeper than I thought and guys like me in their 30s will get to experience a whole lot of incomprehensible horrors!

This is me. I lost hope we'd fix anything fairly early, but I always believed the apocalypse would be a distant thing for other people

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

This is me. I lost hope we'd fix anything fairly early, but I always believed the apocalypse would be a distant thing for other people

Don't worry, things aren't that bad yet!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Me, age 8: oh no I hope that I don't die from spontaneous human combustion

Me, today: lol lmao, I'm going to be killed by incessant internal combustion

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Don't worry, things aren't that bad yet!

Its the hottest year in recorded history so far

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

Its the hottest year in recorded history so far

Exactly! So far! It's not that hot, yet

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I spent most of 2000 through 2020 advocating for a mass rollout of nuclear power but then covid happened and :lol:

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

You all grew up in much more optimistic communities than I did; I don’t know whether to be envious or glad of having pessimism impressed upon me. It was always made very clear to me that I should expect to see very hard times in my lifetime, sometimes through the medium of cartoons

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

The Killing Jelq posted:

theyre also cheering the return of publicly executing the charismatic megafauna to protect our precious puppers

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2023/11/04/wolf-attack-dog-wolves-endangered-species/71422771007/

That’s 2.7 bars per wolf in WI by the way

Lmao, people don't even know what wolves are. It was maybe coyotes, probably somebody's escaped huskies that attacked that person's dog. I guarantee they didn't wrestle their dog away from two of these

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

FlapYoJacks posted:

The day I learned that 63 cruise ships owned by Carnival Corporation released more toxic sulfur gasses than all the cars in Europe (The article is new but the research goes back several years) was the final crack-ping moment for me. We, as consumers, have no way to effectively reduce emissions when 63 cruise ships dump emissions in the air than all of the cars in western Europe combined lmfao.
A June study from sustainable transport campaigner The European Federation for Transport and Environment found that 63 cruise ships owned by parent company Carnival Corporation emitted 43% more sulfur oxides, a group of harmful air pollutants, than all the 291 million cars in Europe in 2022.

The statistic, while jarring, is a significant decrease from a few years ago, when the organization found ships owned by Carnival Corporation that visited European ports in 2017 emitted 10 times more sulfur oxides than all of Europe's cars.

The drop is largely thanks to a 2020 rule from the International Maritime Organization that lowered the sulfur content limit of ship fuel from 3.5% to 0.5%.

[that drop corresponds exactly to the regulated sulfur reduction - from 10x*(.5/3.5)=1.43x]

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dog Case posted:

Lmao, people don't even know what wolves are. It was maybe coyotes, probably somebody's escaped huskies that attacked that person's dog. I guarantee they didn't wrestle their dog away from two of these

Of course people don't know what wolves are, they almost went extinct

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Joke is on you, that super dirty fuel actually created a protective cover that reduced the amount of heat absorbed by the planet. As the fuel they used got cleaner their emissions began to contribute more to global warming.

Nowadays there is a bunch of Geo engineering psychos recommending high sulfur fuel and their protective poison clouds to heal the earth. It's wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

vegetables posted:

You all grew up in much more optimistic communities than I did; I don’t know whether to be envious or glad of having pessimism impressed upon me. It was always made very clear to me that I should expect to see very hard times in my lifetime, sometimes through the medium of cartoons

I'm 150 years old, and from my perspective you're very sheltered. I knew Earth was doomed in 1898 when the Coal Smoke Abatement Society called for a debate in the House of Lords and was refused. I went on to win several prestigious awards for being despondent in the 1920s.