Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this is the current state of Ohtani discourse in Dodgers blogs/discords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm skeptical that the Giants are really going to pay what Ohtani is going to demand

Would be surprised if he ends up anywhere other than the Dodgers

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
It's based on Heyman's article:

https://nypost.com/2023/10/26/sports/more-contenders-join-500-million-shohei-ohtani-sweepstakes/

Which obviously means that none of those teams are in the running.

I'm really curious what an Ohtani contract looks like going into 2024 where he will be limited to DHing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

How many reporters got fooled last year on Judge to the Giants? Because it was at least a handful.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I’m hearing reports that Ohtani “loves the tropical potential of Chicago”

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

I’m hearing reports that Ohtani “loves the tropical potential of Chicago”

Possible if he signs a 10-year deal

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

I hope Shohei signs a one year deal with Colorado to DH all year, obliterate every offensive record, and then sign a mega deal when he can pitch again

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bawfuls posted:

this is the current state of Ohtani discourse in Dodgers blogs/discords

Ohtani will get signed somewhere for a gazillion dollars. Half that team's fans will be annoyed because they think they overpaid. Fans of all the other teams in the rumor mill are going to sneer sour grapes, and that no player could possibly be worth that much.

Then he's going to prove to be worth that much and everyone in that second group is going to be mad and it's going to be great.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm skeptical that the Giants are really going to pay what Ohtani is going to demand

Would be surprised if he ends up anywhere other than the Dodgers

Uggghhh I know, it sucks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I've been informed that Ohtani loves ketchup on his hot dogs

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

I've been informed that Ohtani loves ketchup on his hot dogs

As such hot dogs with ketchup is how Chicagoans will now take their Vienna Beef dags.

They'll call it Shohei Style.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 5, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Q != E

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I hear Ohtani loves viet-cajun crawfish.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dodgers are the heavy favorites for Ohtani if only because he doesn't have to move

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They're the best team in baseball, they're going to be the high bidder, and he already lives nearby. He is 95% going to sign with the Dodgers and the other 5% is like the Dodgers are suddenly sold to John Henry or something

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Question for those that are more knowledgeable about this stuff: how are luxury tax payrolls calculated? From what I've been able to gather it's the entire 40 man payroll calculated at the end of the season based on AAV, but it doesn't appear to take payroll concessions from other teams into account. Rangers and Astros both got significant dollars from the Mets towards the Scherzer/Verlander contracts. Am I right in my reading that when it comes to calculating the luxury tax payroll you don't include the Mets contributions?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's right

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

GPTribefan posted:

I love Tom Hamilton as much as most members of my own family, but if you listened to him the last month of the season you would have thought Kole Calhoun was the ultimate veteran pickup and was going to 1993-Fred-McGriff us into the playoffs. And he STILL would have better to keep around than signing Rivas.

Jonathan Rodriguez being added reeks of another off-season of “we are going to fill the holes with multiple options internally and sort it out in spring training”. It’s not like Bieber is going to bring back a major OF upgrade at this point, so here’s to more chances for Oscar Gonzalez and Will Brennan in 2024😩

Here’s hoping Joey Votto wants to come here and be the new 2013 Jason Giambi!

lol 100% agreed Hamilton hyped up Calhoun waaaaay too much in September. I get that it's literally his job but like. c'mon man we know the score. Rivas is... I dunno. He -could- be good if he continues trending upward, and he's at least got more runway than Calhoun to figure it out, but meh. Not exactly an endearing pickup.

I really do hope Spongebob works it out - it was kind of sad not having him on the roster this year just from a morale standpoint but boy did he stink this year.Z

Would be deeply funny and very Cleveland if we signed Votto - the management loves picking up aged-out 1B/DH guys for 1-2 years for reasons completely unfathomable, have since the 90s.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 5, 2023

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Monathin posted:

lol 100% agreed Hamilton hyped up Calhoun waaaaay too much in September. I get that it's literally his job but like. c'mon man we know the score. Rivas is... I dunno. He -could- be good if he continues trending upward, and he's at least got more runway than Calhoun to figure it out, but meh. Not exactly an endearing pickup.

I really do hope Spongebob works it out - it was kind of sad not having him on the roster this year just from a morale standpoint but boy did he stink this year.Z

Would be deeply funny and very Cleveland if we signed Votto - the management loves picking up aged-out 1B/DH guys for 1-2 years for reasons completely unfathomable, have since the 90s.

You just gave me flashbacks to the post Albert Belle era - Harold Baines, Cecil Fielder, Kevin Mitchell, Julio Franco, Kevin Seitzer, Mark Whiten…. Yikes

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Eric the Mauve posted:

They're the best team in baseball, they're going to be the high bidder, and he already lives nearby. He is 95% going to sign with the Dodgers and the other 5% is like the Dodgers are suddenly sold to John Henry or something

the dodgers just demonstrated again they aren't the best team in baseball and ohtani is on the record he loves deep dish and malort

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Congratulations to fans of the Texas Rangers baseball team

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pobrecito posted:

Question for those that are more knowledgeable about this stuff: how are luxury tax payrolls calculated? From what I've been able to gather it's the entire 40 man payroll calculated at the end of the season based on AAV, but it doesn't appear to take payroll concessions from other teams into account. Rangers and Astros both got significant dollars from the Mets towards the Scherzer/Verlander contracts. Am I right in my reading that when it comes to calculating the luxury tax payroll you don't include the Mets contributions?
It is this but also pro-rated for each player based on days on the roster, so for this year the bulk of the Scherzer/Verlander money was while they were on the Mets, so those days will count towards the Mets tax while the post-trade time will count for the Rangers/Astros tax

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
https://x.com/mrjeffu/status/1721155616453153250?s=20

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
If I ever go to Japan I'm gonna eat at KFC once. It's such a thing over there but here it's considered dogshit garbage. The recipe's gotta be different, right?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
In the very funny 1992 book Dave Barry Does Japan, the author observed that a number of young Japanese people were wearing t shirts with nonsensical English writing on them. One was the KFC logo and the text read "King Fucker Chicken"

He also attended a baseball game and said it was amazing. The stadiums were spotlessly clean and the crowds would sing their team's fight song in unison.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Well Played Mauer posted:

If I ever go to Japan I'm gonna eat at KFC once. It's such a thing over there but here it's considered dogshit garbage. The recipe's gotta be different, right?

Some of the folks I deployed with said KFC was way better and actually good over there. I didn't have KFC, but McDonalds was far higher quality than it is in the US. Then again I hadn't had US fast food for over a decade at the time and I still couldn't finish a Big Mac because it tasted like chemicals and horrible, but ymmv.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Well Played Mauer posted:

I spent 3 teenage years in Southeast Asia and fast food is freshly made and 100% delicious.

On a trip to china I had KFC in Xi’an and it was incredible

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
If I was Ohtani but also still as lazy as I am now I'd be like okay pay me the most money ever because I'll pitch and bat and then after this coming year being like oh dang doc says illl never pitch again

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

maffew buildings posted:

Some of the folks I deployed with said KFC was way better and actually good over there. I didn't have KFC, but McDonalds was far higher quality than it is in the US. Then again I hadn't had US fast food for over a decade at the time and I still couldn't finish a Big Mac because it tasted like chemicals and horrible, but ymmv.

much, much higher food safety standards there for both basic ingredients and the handling of them than the essentially nonexistent ones here, that makes a huge difference even before accounting for differences in seasoning etc

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

canyoneer posted:

In the very funny 1992 book Dave Barry Does Japan, the author observed that a number of young Japanese people were wearing t shirts with nonsensical English writing on them. One was the KFC logo and the text read "King Fucker Chicken"

He also attended a baseball game and said it was amazing. The stadiums were spotlessly clean and the crowds would sing their team's fight song in unison.

It's way more than that. There's coordinated cheering for every batter. A while back I decided on the Tigers as my NPB team and started trying to learn more about them (they're one of the easiest teams to do this with as there's a well-maintained English news blog written by a Canadian expat guy about them called H-TEN). Literally every player has their own song (usually pretty simple, but still).

Like here was Kosuke Fukudome's:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's good to have regular reminders that the rest of the world does baseball fandom much better than we do

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm standing behind an academy in a huge line to get an autograph from Adolis Garcia. Session starts at 3pm. Wanted to get something signed but they're just handing out a card he'll sign. Which, hey I get....but now begins the endurance run. Is this goofy piece of paper gonna be worth it?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Shinjobi posted:

I'm standing behind an academy in a huge line to get an autograph from Adolis Garcia. Session starts at 3pm. Wanted to get something signed but they're just handing out a card he'll sign. Which, hey I get....but now begins the endurance run. Is this goofy piece of paper gonna be worth it?

No. Autographs never are in that type of setting.

Go home and watch youtube videos of Adolis hitting bombs in the playoffs, that's much more satisfying.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

more falafel please posted:

It's way more than that. There's coordinated cheering for every batter. A while back I decided on the Tigers as my NPB team and started trying to learn more about them (they're one of the easiest teams to do this with as there's a well-maintained English news blog written by a Canadian expat guy about them called H-TEN). Literally every player has their own song (usually pretty simple, but still).

Like here was Kosuke Fukudome's:

American sports fans are uninteresting and, like everything else here, ridiculously individualistic. It's all about being the biggest single lout in a group of beer-swilling, bodypainted louts. In the rest of the world it's about being one massive lout such that the other team is so demoralized they just forget how to play. Fans in the US want to be on TV. Fans around the world want to destroy the stadium and/or win the game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

It's good to have regular reminders that the rest of the world does baseball fandom much better than we do

There is no comparison to northeast playoff baseball.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

No and I hate that they do that poo poo where the person only signs some thing they hand out. It makes the whole thing pointless.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think it's cool they do individual chants and I'd love to go to a game in Japan/Taiwan/Korea but it also seems kind of exhausting if you just wanna chill and watch a game. Maybe there are more dedicated cheering sections and other areas for people that just wanna drink some brews?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Popete posted:

I think it's cool they do individual chants and I'd love to go to a game in Japan/Taiwan/Korea but it also seems kind of exhausting if you just wanna chill and watch a game. Maybe there are more dedicated cheering sections and other areas for people that just wanna drink some brews?

When I went to Korea, the beer in the stadiums wasn't marked up and was cheaper than water. This may be the key to success.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

when do the tacos happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Intruder posted:

when do the tacos happen?
The stolen base one? Good through Tuesday but I think you gotta use the app to get it.