Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pick what colors you think look cool and go from there
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/s/9ed98WFQRJ

Cease to Hope posted:

Tale of Painters also has a very complete guide to all contrast and contrast-like paints. GW's poo poo is kind of a mess with the new store site.

Oh, these are some great comparisons. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I varnished this way back and it dried really weird and lumpy. So he tool a dip in some isopropyl (except for his head which would melt) and I repainted him.

For his head I did some washes and it managed to cover the bad varnish thankfully

Hell yeah this dude rules.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cardboard Fox posted:

Oh, these are some great comparisons. Thanks!

Dana Howl also has a comparison gallery of Contrast and Speed Paints on Skinks

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pick what colors you think look cool and go from there

This should be said more.
This hobby is about making things your own. There are no rules about what color you can paint things so please pick colors you like.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There's a very good chance you have the best painted BT set on whichever continent you're on.

There's also a very good chance you have a shrink ray.

AndyElusive posted:

Hell yeah this dude rules.

The wait for that head was 100% worth it. Name and fame the maker.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Cthulu Carl posted:

Dana Howl also has a comparison gallery of Contrast and Speed Paints on Skinks

I remember watching a youtube video about this. Very cool that there is a whole site.

Bucnasti posted:

This should be said more.
This hobby is about making things your own. There are no rules about what color you can paint things so please pick colors you like.

The problem is that I am very boring and I must have the exact color so they look like the box art.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

mllaneza posted:

The wait for that head was 100% worth it. Name and fame the maker.

That hooded head and the gas mask someone commented on last week are both from Puppetswar

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Since Winsor and Newton brushes have absolutely tanked in quality, what's the go-to for most people now?

I tried some Raphael brushes, but they had issues with splitting. While they're great with customer service and replaced them when asked, it took almost 6 weeks for the original order to show up (France to US) and another 6 weeks when they sent replacements.

After that I tried some "premium" Kolinsky brushes from a local Michaels and I while I couldn't find some with a bristle style like the W&N series 7s that I used to use they worked well enough, for a couple days. Even taking care and using brush soap the tips started curling fast.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Some surprising workhorses for me have been the two (quantity, I got a size 2 and a size 4) I got from monument hobbies with the red handles. They're totally a rebranded rosemary and co brush or something but shipping was quick and easy thanks to them being in America. They're not as snappy as the raphael8404 but because my brain regards them as being disposable I've used them a lot more and with harsher stuff like metallics. They've been going strong like any other brush.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

I got a monument sable brushes set as my "first" non synthetic brushes and def see a difference in the bristle tip vs the synthetic ones I've owned, they hold a point seemingly more precisely and stably than what I've seen w my synthetics.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey everyone! Trad games secret santa is up and running for another year. Come join the fun, if you find sending and receiving nerdy game gifts fun!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Floppychop posted:

Since Winsor and Newton brushes have absolutely tanked in quality, what's the go-to for most people now?

I tried some Raphael brushes, but they had issues with splitting. While they're great with customer service and replaced them when asked, it took almost 6 weeks for the original order to show up (France to US) and another 6 weeks when they sent replacements.

After that I tried some "premium" Kolinsky brushes from a local Michaels and I while I couldn't find some with a bristle style like the W&N series 7s that I used to use they worked well enough, for a couple days. Even taking care and using brush soap the tips started curling fast.

I like Da Vinci if you can find them. Bigger belly than most brands, especially if you get the Maestro 11 instead of the Maestro 10.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone have a US source for Vallejo's wave 2 speed paints? I know they're having some issues but my flgs is telling me their distro isn't even listing them yet.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painted a handsome young man

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Springfield Fatts posted:

Anyone have a US source for Vallejo's wave 2 speed paints? I know they're having some issues but my flgs is telling me their distro isn't even listing them yet.

I haven't used them but I have no idea how to tell the difference between the wave 1 and 2 packaging, I assume there is one but the internet wasn't very helpful. This taleofpainters review link mentions that Nobleknight.com is a place to buy them in the USA but I can only see "Xpress Color" on their website with no mention about wave 2.

gamersguildaz.com is a place I have bought Vallejo paints from before but again, can't tell what is or isn't wave 2 so...hth

Geisladisk posted:

Painted a handsome young man
What an excellent chap!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
There's no difference other than they've expanded the range and added more colors, the site you referenced seems to be in the same boat as my own flgs and only have the wave 1 colors.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

For people who use the various styles of collapsible airbrush booths, how well do they actually break down and store?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

rantmo posted:

For people who use the various styles of collapsible airbrush booths, how well do they actually break down and store?

Pretty good. I have the typical one (https://www.amazon.com/Autolock-Air...&ts_id=12898811) and it folds down to 40x15x20cm. About the size of a boardgame, I just keep it under my desk when not in use. Setup and teardown takes maybe a minute.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
painted my second mini today!!
unfortunately :confuoot: it looks bad!!

I thought I watered down enough. but it looks like no.
Oh well! these are the practice minis

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ominous Jazz posted:

painted my second mini today!!
unfortunately :confuoot: it looks bad!!

I thought I watered down enough. but it looks like no.
Oh well! these are the practice minis

It's not important what they look like. It's important if you had fun painting them, and if you happen to care about it, if you learned something for the next one.

So, your minis are awesome.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I appreciate it but I wanna IMPROVE

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Ominous Jazz posted:

I appreciate it but I wanna IMPROVE

Looks good, so much of mini painting is slow steady improvement and having a chill time

Keep that thing forever as a reminder of where you started

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I'm happy with the colors, they're very x men but
Isn't smooth

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's hard to say what's going wrong, but I'd suspect you've either got some sort of primer issue or you just haven't shaken it enough, so you're getting mostly medium and not so much pigment.

What sort of paints are you using? What primer are you using?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

primed with rustoleum flat primer. i got better results after following this threads advice
edit: they're monster brand minis. my friend got frustrated with mini painting and wehn i told him i wanted to try gave me these

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ominous Jazz posted:

primed with rustoleum flat primer. i got better results after following this threads advice
edit: they're monster brand minis. my friend got frustrated with mini painting and wehn i told him i wanted to try gave me these

You are not doing yourself any favors using those paints, that's a level of paint that can be good for painting scenery pieces but you'll want something higher quality for miniatures. Doesn't have to be a miniature paint brand but the basics line from Liquitex is craft paint level.

What country are you in and do you want to spend a few bucks on some new paints?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i'm in the US and i'll have to wait a little before i can
dang, i got a good deal on these too
oh that's probably why i got a good deal

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I use Liquitex Acrylic Gouache just fine but as you can see it is much pricier than their basics line.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
ive used those with decent results. you really have to thin them down more than you'd think.

you need to put more layers of thinner colours on and eventually you'll get a really nice finish.

the metallics in that set are actually pretty good, especially the silver.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Painting minis with craft paints absolutely can be done, but I'd never recommend it to an absolute day one new to the hobby beginner. Properly thinning mini paints is an acquired skill, using paints not designed for the task is adding a layer of difficulty which a new painter absolutely does not need. Once you get your eye in with regards to things like what consistency you are aiming for then sure, do what you like. Could be a fun challenge. But for most people yeah, you're going to want some mini paints. Brand doesnt much* matter, my paints come from like 6 different brands and every brand has some great colours and some less great, so get what you like/can afford/can find locally. Those craft paints arent useless though, they're ideal for using on terrain pieces (less fiddly details), stuff like bases (painting the top of the base brown before gluing sand down so that any gaps in the sand arent glaringly obvious white primer showing through), base rims, stuff like that you dont want to use your more pricey mini paints on.

If your mate was also using craft paint to paint minis that could very well be why he got frustrated and quit. I'd maybe let him know as long as youre sure hes not going to ask for the figures back!

*of course there are differences between them and we all have our preferences, but any mini paint brand is going to be easier to work with than craft paint. I would hold off on army painter normal paints (Their "warpaint" line I think?) for the moment, they are refreshing their paint line in the new year, their current line is overall "basically okay for the money" but some of them require a lot of shaking to get to that point. What little I've heard of their refreshed line sounds promising, but obviously they mainly show them to content creators they have a friendly working relationship with so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. But, and this is my point, even if you ended up getting the most annoying to work with colours from their current range you still would have an easier time than with craft paint. It just would be really annoying to spend money on them in december then find out if you'd waited a while you'd have better paints for the same money.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is there any difference between Ryza Rust and Troll Slayer Orange, besides Ryza being a dry paint? I own so many paints, I don’t want to another when I could just use one I already own.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Ominous Jazz posted:

heres a few mostly finished models that ive painted with those exact paints

(just the high marshal, the ork is done in gw paint)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Hey check out this converted Vostroyan Officer I'm working on! He's going to be commanding my bombast artillery gun in my Vostroyan combat patrol. I've got some touch ups to do, photos always reveal them... but he's 95% done. No basing because he's going into the gun team. I'm thinking of painting the liner of his coat a beige or something far lighter to give a bit more contrast, he's very brown.

He's a kit-bash of these guys, plus some sculpting.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

My Spirit Otter posted:

heres a few mostly finished models that ive painted with those exact paints

(just the high marshal, the ork is done in gw paint)

Those look great dang. I guess I gotta water my paints and practice.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Virtual Russian posted:

Hey check out this converted Vostroyan Officer I'm working on! He's going to be commanding my bombast artillery gun in my Vostroyan combat patrol. I've got some touch ups to do, photos always reveal them... but he's 95% done. No basing because he's going into the gun team. I'm thinking of painting the liner of his coat a beige or something far lighter to give a bit more contrast, he's very brown.

He's a kit-bash of these guys, plus some sculpting.

This is really cool. Putting them together with that pose makes it read very differently.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cardboard Fox posted:

The problem is that I am very boring and I must have the exact color so they look like the box art.

You walk the path of madness and disappointment, because your models will never look "good enough" if you're trying to replicate box art paint jobs. Experiment with color schemes and do your own thing, you'll be happier and much more satisfied with your models when you do.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

This is really cool. Putting them together with that pose makes it read very differently.

Thanks, I was really pleased with how integrated the coat looks. That sergeant is my least favorite Vostroyan, and that seems to be the popular consensus as it is also the one most available online. A good candidate for conversions.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Professor Shark posted:

Is there any difference between Ryza Rust and Troll Slayer Orange, besides Ryza being a dry paint? I own so many paints, I don’t want to another when I could just use one I already own.

The rust is supposed to be thicker and easier to drybrush with but in reality it's completely unusable and has the consistency of dry aged cheese. Please do not get it

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Virtual Russian posted:

Really love what you did with the colours on the jacket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

The rust is supposed to be thicker and easier to drybrush with but in reality it's completely unusable and has the consistency of dry aged cheese. Please do not get it

Yeah, I’m not a fan of the two other Dry paints (Longbeard Grey and Praxxeti White) I own and was really hesitant to get another. I practiced on a terrain piece using Rhinox, Typhus, and stroll slayer and felt it was reasonably good.