Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

loquacius posted:

I wonder if it would have been as funny to be on Twitter if it was around when Seinfeld ended

https://twitter.com/seinfeld2000/status/663398271205965824?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Disney's pretty open (ish) about focus testing all their movies and shows but I found out recently that their focus testing audiences are almost exclusively drawn from within the company. (I think I read that their upcoming The Marvels is an exception to this because the film loving stank that bad.)

So these things are being refined by a bunch of Disney adults drawn from within the Disney rank and file themselves.

Fake edit: Here we go:

this makes so much sense

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've said it a lot, but the maddest people weren't mad about how Dany's heel turn was executed, they were mad that it happened at all. They were ignoring all the subtext through her whole arc because she was their white-savior girl-power wish fulfillment vessel. It was Her Turn, but for real this time.

This is a character whose biggest scene was being carried around on the shoulders of a bunch of liberated third-worlders literally chanting "mommy! mommy!"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

loquacius posted:

I've said it a lot, but the maddest people weren't mad about how Dany's heel turn was executed, they were mad that it happened at all. They were ignoring all the subtext through her whole arc because she was their white-savior girl-power wish fulfillment vessel. It was Her Turn, but for real this time.

This is a character whose biggest scene was being carried around on the shoulders of a bunch of liberated third-worlders literally chanting "mommy! mommy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwLz-pUpF6c

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That photoshop of Hillary's face on end-of-season-1 Dany with the dragons, but it's saying this about the Lannister forces in King's Landing

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Xaris posted:

lmfao

always gotta respect intentionally killing the holy cash cow and then flopping over dead yourself

also killing it so hard that all the diehard nerd fans even shut up immediately and permanently forevermore afterwards

ah yes they killed it so hard that the show's prequel series was dead on arrival and nobody watched it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
does Disney hire Disney adults? on the railroad we absolutely screen for Train Enthusiasts

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

ah yes they killed it so hard that the show's prequel series was dead on arrival and nobody watched it

house of the dragon was fun and had a different tone

two years between seasons is insane though

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Man, Scavengers Reign is such a better way of doing what Raised by Wolves tried to. It actually feels like a living, vibrant (and weird) ecosystem vs a desert with the occasional snake skeleton and mermaid mutant. Starting on the third episode and I love these strange bird/raptor things.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BadOptics posted:

Man, Scavengers Reign is such a better way of doing what Raised by Wolves tried to. It actually feels like a living, vibrant (and weird) ecosystem vs a desert with the occasional snake skeleton and mermaid mutant. Starting on the third episode and I love these strange bird/raptor things.

yeah anyone that liked snake milk mommy needs to get watching this poo poo now. vibrant is a good description

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

i say swears online posted:

I suspect it's the new normal for most shows.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

speaking of I haven't heard a word about rings of power since the finale. I wonder if they're plowing on ahead or it's being hosed around with to try and avoid another total failure

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

house of the dragon was fun and had a different tone

*laughs in doctor who fan*

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

KirbyKhan posted:

I cannot overstate how the irl presence of Game of Thrones dropped. Immidiately. I could pin ping it to Season 8 Episode 5, after the short hiatus. People were all "I waited for this...?" Then the world ended that spring.

This is true. The focus group additional duty thing wasn't even paid, it was an "opportunity to participate in the magic". I was the guard tower guard in the theater with thermal binoculars scanning the audience to make sure no one was filming or taking notes.

Yeah, it went from one of the bigger media cultural phenomenon of the 2010s to instantly just dead. Nobody I know talks about it, it doesn't get referenced in other shows or even in a lot of random online chatter. It doesn't help that people got burned on the books too, Winds of Winter is not loving coming and the show's story beats are the actual beats that were planned, so now nobody cares about that poo poo either because the anime blew past the manga and the manga sucks anyway.

The thing about the thermal binoculars is nuts, did you ever bust someone?

Bro Dad posted:

ahh the dark forest theory

lol

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

the seinfeld finale was perfect and their fate was correct

I think thats why so many people got mad about it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

I think thats why so many people got mad about it

yeah khaleesi stans and people that were mad at the seinfeld finale are kindred spirits

skooma512 posted:

the show's story beats are the actual beats that were planned

is this true? i had no idea lol, rip grrm

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Bro Dad posted:

most disney employees are Disney Adults who took a huge paycut to work at their dream company so the venn diagram is just a circle

I was interviewing for an imagineer position once, and another time as an adguy in their internal agency yellowshoes and both times every single person I spoke to fit this bill. This plus, the pay cut, and hard requirements to live in florida kept me away from the job.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

why doesn't grrm just hire a ghost writer

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

most disney employees are Disney Adults who took a huge paycut to work at their dream company so the venn diagram is just a circle

The entire games industry is this way too

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Re: the goat of show finales https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdUWXf8jJk

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The fake Breaking Bad ending where Hal from Malcom in the Middle woke up from a bad dream about scary drug dealers was p good

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

yeah khaleesi stans and people that were mad at the seinfeld finale are kindred spirits

is this true? i had no idea lol, rip grrm

Sort of. I think the broad outline is true, but the characters that do them are different and for different reasons.

Like for example there is no singular Night King leading the White Walkers, Euron Greyjoy is a mashup of two different characters: Victarion Greyjoy who is a Viking metal dumbass, and Euron Greyjoy who is essentially an ocean warlock who sailed to the ends of the earth and found some spooky Cthulhu, considers himself a borderline god and has a horn that can enslave dragons. Instead of working for Cersei, the Golden Company is actually working for the “real” heir, claiming that Rhaegar’s son was actually switched before the Mountain killed him — this is probably a lie.

My guess is that Book-Euron was probably intended to serve the Night King role somehow, and that rather than fight Cersei, Dany was to return south only to find that King’s Landing had already been taken by another Targaryen with a stronger claim and a better story than her, and that’s what would make her finally go crazy.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The fact that the show just dropped the entire Young Grif storyline in its entirely is pretty solid proof that whole 'real' heir thing was another of Martin's red herring subversions that will end just as suddenly as Quentyn Martell's Prince Charming journey

Martin really only has one or two tricks that he keeps going back to. The series should have been a trilogy at most

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Honestly I think they just combined aspects of his storyline with Cersei. I just don't think the showrunners were putting in enough effort at that point for me to necessarily believe they knew what they were doing there.

I mean regardless you're still right that it's a red herring because book 6 isn't coming out, let alone book 7.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

christmas boots posted:

Sort of. I think the broad outline is true, but the characters that do them are different and for different reasons.

Like for example there is no singular Night King leading the White Walkers, Euron Greyjoy is a mashup of two different characters: Victarion Greyjoy who is a Viking metal dumbass, and Euron Greyjoy who is essentially an ocean warlock who sailed to the ends of the earth and found some spooky Cthulhu, considers himself a borderline god and has a horn that can enslave dragons. Instead of working for Cersei, the Golden Company is actually working for the “real” heir, claiming that Rhaegar’s son was actually switched before the Mountain killed him — this is probably a lie.

My guess is that Book-Euron was probably intended to serve the Night King role somehow, and that rather than fight Cersei, Dany was to return south only to find that King’s Landing had already been taken by another Targaryen with a stronger claim and a better story than her, and that’s what would make her finally go crazy.

Yeah you can see the bullet points GRRM provided, but even GRRM himself was probably still feeling his way through it because he's a "pants" writer so he doesn't actually have the thing solidified before it comes out of his rear end. You can find his original pitch to the publishing company which cites how Arya and Needle are basically the focus of the whole plot and see how much it changed even from that first draft. It's also why he wrote himself into a corner and couldn't figure out how to get back out, so he's just procrastinating until he dies now.

If GRRM got off his rear end and wrote it, you'd probably end up with some squishy bits that were unsatisfying but the eventual plot would make sense and the arcs would be logical. He provided those bullet points to poo poo writers and they went "Okay! This is what happens!" and rushed through it so there's no sense of character progression and it's jarring and confusing. Also, a lot of the plot points rely on stuff from the books that aren't in the show, and need to be more carefully reworked to make sense. They didn't do any of that because they were in a rush to make Star Wars.

ArmedZombie posted:

Like literally, if the showrunners had just picked any random fan theory off the internet they would have made a better season with less work.

I actually enjoy the theory that Bran wins the throne because BloodRaven is controlling him. It actually makes a lot of sense in the context of what we know about what was provided to the showrunners, but that part of the books was left out of the show.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-7OUBuPVGU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Tagra posted:

I actually enjoy the theory that Bran wins the throne because BloodRaven is controlling him. It actually makes a lot of sense in the context of what we know about what was provided to the showrunners, but that part of the books was left out of the show.

Checks out

E: also lmao that GRRM apologists exist

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

can't believe I haven't seen this before

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Also I finally finished Fall of the House of Usher last night, probably my second-favorite Flanagan after Midnight Mass. Though I'll admit I wasn't paying my full attention to Hill House or Bly Manor when they were new.

its very good tho the political stuff gets a little too eye rolley in the end. i audibly groaned when the ruthless soulless corporate hitman did his "even i cant support that orange cheeto!" bit at the end

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

it sucks regardless Jon Hamm doesn’t get more comedy vehicles / when he does they get ignored.

Everyone go watch “Confess, Fletch” right now. 5 stars!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I like him and Daniel Radcliffe playing off of each other in A Young Doctor's Notebook

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

BadOptics posted:

i miss milk snake mommy though

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I was big into comedy around when mad men was airing and jon hamm would frequently show up to his friend's sets or podcast recordings and proceed to be the funniest dude by far. he's like john cena, a comedian trapped in a leading man's body

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

hell just let him hang out with richard ayoade again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5p_hOzccg

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Disneyland is probably the worst theme parks

Universal Studios is worse.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

ArmedZombie posted:

pretty sure he has a stable of library nerds that can finish the job when he croaks

also lol that he'd rather write edit Johnny 5 Aces stories instead of finish GoT

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

babypolis posted:

its very good tho the political stuff gets a little too eye rolley in the end. i audibly groaned when the ruthless soulless corporate hitman did his "even i cant support that orange cheeto!" bit at the end

Oh yeah that felt out of place after the series had largely avoided that type of commentary. It did give us Madeline's final "we live in a society" rant which was funny in how it ended though.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

uncontested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Durf posted:

pretty sure he has a stable of library nerds that can finish the job when he croaks

also lol that he'd rather write edit Johnny 5 Aces stories instead of finish GoT

wild cards is gritty superhero fiction actually

also is getting adapted as hulu's new tentpole series