Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Always happy to see updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m just happy whenever he’s feeling good enough to draw literally anything. :)

Also, reading the Yuyu Hakasho manga, found the anime to not exactly stand out much in any way besides the dub and some parts of the Black Record arc, but this is way more fun in manga format. It just became a battle shonen after Togashi realized Ghost Detective Adventures and Limbo Time* weren’t easy sells, but the Dark Tournament is just goodass fight after goodass fight. I guess you have to be in the right mindset for something, I went into the anime hoping for more of what I liked about HxH, and into the manga just expecting YYH but quicker.

The anime kinda had some weird changes, I guess I get cutting out 90% of Yusuke’s limbo adventures, but why is his mom a complete deadbeat in the anime and cheering her baby boy on in the manga version of Dark Tournament?

*i actually really like Limbo Time. Yusuke helping out complete randos with no ulterior motive (because he’s too dumb to think about the good karma points) sells him just running on pure instinct/vibes and being ultimately not a bad person.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They removed the mom from a lot of things for some reason.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Was YYH a seasonal show? I had always figured it was just a straight shot from start to finish because that was the style at the time, so you’d think there’d be, you know, less manga-only stuff once it’s interspersed with the demon punchmans stuff and not the prelude to the punching since non-seasonal anime have pacing issues and all as is.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Always happy to see updates.

Same, time to reset my hype meter because there's something to look forward too in the coming year.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Not related to HxH coming back to Jump but I recently started listening to a Friends at the Table spinoff podcast where 3 of the hosts have seen HxH2011 and one of them hasn't (and they watch through it, obviously), and it's pretty fun so far. This has sort of finally given me the excuse I've needed to read through the manga for the first time to follow along, since I only started collecting the physical volumes as I was in the middle of a 2011 rewatch, and needed a couple years before I went back in again. Don't really have a ton to say about volume 1, which I actually did read through when I first got it, but never kept going. Having also seen a chunk of HxH99, it's interesting to finally have a complete picture of what was kept, cut, or added to in both versions, but aside from the Kite stuff and a couple of slightly altered bits/jokes, 2011 is almost entirely faithful so far.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I always say that 1999 is weird because it doesn’t make any particular big changes, but it makes a lot of little changes that affect characterization in ways you sort of have to “unlearn.” I think a lot of it comes from the 1999 anime writers wanting to assure us that the protagonists are “good guys” in a way Togashi isn’t interested in doing.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Could also be censorship against beating up three disabled people in Heaven's Arena.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I found this to be an interesting analysis of Gon's character. Not sure I 100% agree, but there's some interesting things that I hadn't really considered.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wow that's a long rambling intro

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 19, 2024

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Vertigo 2 has an interesting content update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW6Tr5viaIE

Hm

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Wow that's a long rambling intro

That's Plague of Gripes for ya. He's long winded and I don't 100% agree with him but he's got that kind of voice that I'll sit through the whole smug video purely because he can set the stage for his arguments and observations and ramble on, but it pleases the ears. That being said he's another Greed Island hater and for that I can't agree; Gon is dumb with numbers but good with other kinds of nuances. Especially if he has time to process that information and isn't just infodumped in one singular moment which is what he was able to do. So it's perfectly fine that the kid that actually played the game as intended was able to answer the most questions about the various cards. Everyone else freely admitted they were acquiring the majority of cards by either stealing them from other players or using other means to game the system so very few actually went for all of the 99 fixed slot cards via their own effort.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah, I found some things interesting, like the idea of hunters being good with animals coming from their more animalistic tendencies, which seems obvious, but I hadn't really put it together. I do think he ironically falls into a very black and white thinking at times, equating "flawed" with "bad", and certain argument seem kinda bad faith (I wouldn't say Netero rejecting Meruem's offer of "we can live together as long as you all serve me and we get to eat some of you," is as flawed as he seems to assert).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Yeah, I found some things interesting, like the idea of hunters being good with animals coming from their more animalistic tendencies, which seems obvious, but I hadn't really put it together. I do think he ironically falls into a very black and white thinking at times, equating "flawed" with "bad", and certain argument seem kinda bad faith (I wouldn't say Netero rejecting Meruem's offer of "we can live together as long as you all serve me and we get to eat some of you," is as flawed as he seems to assert).

Netero explicitly just decides to fight instead of talk so he won’t be swayed.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Okay, yeah, I just rewatched that scene, and I clearly misremembered it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently Netflix is doing a live action Yu Yu Hakusho series, the trailer just dropped today:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GMi-DDJtExs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Apparently Netflix is doing a live action Yu Yu Hakusho series, the trailer just dropped today:

Huh. Are they just starting Koenma in his adult form? Weird.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It is, yeah. Otherwise this doesn’t look terrible I’ll admit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

It looks like they're compressing a whole lot but if they have one series to do it in then it seems sensible enough.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Probably for practical reasons rather than narrative reasons

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Larryb posted:

It looks like a high quality youtube fan trailer but honestly I feel the same about this that I do about the Avatar netflix series. Already seen it in the ideal form so I'll give this a pass. FMA and the Cowboy Bebop adaptations killed my interest in these things.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

It looks like a high quality youtube fan trailer but honestly I feel the same about this that I do about the Avatar netflix series. Already seen it in the ideal form so I'll give this a pass. FMA and the Cowboy Bebop adaptations killed my interest in these things.

Live action One Piece was surprisingly good at least

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Larryb posted:

Live action One Piece was surprisingly good at least

that was pretty much just because its One Piece

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

trailer showing all the way up to the dark tournament arc or somehow condensing it and making togaro the first arc villain gives me pause.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Kild posted:

trailer showing all the way up to the dark tournament arc or somehow condensing it and making togaro the first arc villain gives me pause.

the first fight against Toguro was before the dark tournament. he initially showed up as a paid bodyguard for some villainous rich jackass

Yusuke and team only got invited to the dark tournament after they caught Toguro's eye by putting up a decent fight against him

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vizuyos posted:

the first fight against Toguro was before the dark tournament. he initially showed up as a paid bodyguard for some villainous rich jackass

Yusuke and team only got invited to the dark tournament after they caught Toguro's eye by putting up a decent fight against him

Yeah but that's after the 4 heavenly kings who I don't think I saw at all in the trailer

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Larryb posted:

ngl this poo poo looks like rear end

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Vizuyos posted:

They show what appears to be Kurama fighting Karasu in a warehouse. So they might be speedrunning to the big iconic fight and merging Team Urameshi Vs. Team Toguro into the Yukina rescue, or something.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Most of that trailer looked p. bad in the way that most anime adaptations do, but god drat they really nailed the look of the Toguro brothers. Very impressive.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The shrinking effect on the younger Toguro did look good I can give them that. For the couple panels he's in, Bui and his armor also looked solid. They are however absolutely going to mangle my man Karasu mark my words. I didn't like his bomb being some PS2 psychic effect; the man is an artist with explosives.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

The shrinking effect on the younger Toguro did look good I can give them that. For the couple panels he's in, Bui and his armor also looked solid. They are however absolutely going to mangle my man Karasu mark my words. I didn't like his bomb being some PS2 psychic effect; the man is an artist with explosives.

You mean the Elder Toguro.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MonsterEnvy posted:

You mean the Elder Toguro.

No, Younger Toguro actor is actually eight feet tall, it's amazing what they can do with CGI these days.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Should've cut after the date drop to a 30-second scene of Toguro opening a refrigerator, rummaging around, and pulling out a carton of orange juice.

That'd probably convince more people the director "Got it" than a bunch of half-second action snips.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Crosspost from the gif thread. Gon getting ready to fight Pitou:

https://i.imgur.com/daEmD5C.mp4

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://x.com/kles7_/status/1726573135544361253?s=46&t=Yntt7G3i9J81WH8r8EaHnw

Apparently, Togashi revealed the ending to HxH in a recent as of yet unreleased/translated interview?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1726603239343489381

yeah, that's wild, but also sorta respect it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I just hope this isn't some prelude to finding out he's got worsening health issues.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of I forget, did the first run of the anime make up its own ending or just get to a certain point and stop like the second one did?

But yeah, considering Togashi’s health issues and their effect on his work I’ll be curious to see just how much of the manga he’s got left in him at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The anime just ends at the Chairman Election arc at Gons conversation with Ging and his return home after which is honestly a better ending than anything we'll probably get that's directly related to the ongoing plot beats just as a nice bow on Gon's journey.