Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

man, I bet an enterprising guy could power so many random screens with all those cables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Stop being loving weird, return that thing and just use a regular loving EVSE. That one doesn't even do the unnecessary thing that you want it to do, even if you somehow get it installed without killing yourself.

E: like I invested actual effort into proving that your service is adequate to power a 48A charger, even under the absolute worst case scenario.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You can do it Three Olives I believe in you

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
three olives continuing his “forums Pat” trajectory by doing his own version of the “it’ll electrocute his dick” arc

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Listen to the guy that actually knows about electricity 3O.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Three Olives posted:

One thing that I can't get over and as far as I can tell a thing with tons of WiFi chargers is they set amps with an app and not a physical selector? Seems kind of dangerous but extremely common and big part of the reason I wanted a display on the device.

Also in researching chargers, I know there were some weird bespoke chargers from luxury brands like Porsche and Bentley, no doubt Rolls-Royce will launch their own insanely expensive thing, but I was not mentally prepared for this:

extremely disappointed this doesn't have a bunch of slots to charge the tool batteries

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Three Olives posted:

One thing that I can't get over and as far as I can tell a thing with tons of WiFi chargers is they set amps with an app and not a physical selector? Seems kind of dangerous but extremely common and big part of the reason I wanted a display on the device.

Also in researching chargers, I know there were some weird bespoke chargers from luxury brands like Porsche and Bentley, no doubt Rolls-Royce will launch their own insanely expensive thing, but I was not mentally prepared for this:

I just realized that when electric cars finally start getting real traction in Japan that there will inevitably be an Evangelion branded EVSE.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I just realized that when electric cars finally start getting real traction in Japan that there will inevitably be an Evangelion branded EVSE.

déjŕ~

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:monocle:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Could someone explain to me what all this poo poo is? I don't recognize any of it.

Other than 3.5mm male TS plugs, which I'm going to wager aren't for audio.

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 5, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

Could someone explain to me what all this poo poo is? I don't recognize any of it.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. To me it kinda looks like the kit I bought on AliExpress to convert my dildo from gasoline to solar power.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

cruft posted:

It's a picture of more money than sense.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Okay so it's not just me being dense.

I see a bunch of 3.5mm TS connectors with what looks like a big octagon on the other end, which clamps to a cable maybe? Maybe they're hall effect sensors? Or maybe something to detect RF emitted from an AC wire?

On the box there are two 3.5mm jacks. I also see what looks like a 75 ohm coax connector, commonly used to carry cable TV or other RF. And a single thin wire/cable coming out.

Maybe it's because of the time change but I'm unable to put these together in a meaningful way. All I've got is that it's an FM radio that outputs to two independent speakers which clamp to something. And a ton of spare speakers.

Wait, that's an antenna! That must be what the coax connector is for. So... WiFi probably? This is some sort of remote sensor that detects current and sends the readings out over WiFi?

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 5, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

drat, that's exactly what it is. This is a smart home energy monitor. You clamp each of those sensors over the hot wire in your breaker box (there are more 3.5mm jacks on the side of the main unit) and it measures each circuit in your breaker box somehow, then broadcasts that to (I assume) their cloud servers over your home WiFi.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Yes that kit involves 3O installing all that junk in a crowded breaker box

Which is *** completely unnecessary *** to determine whether they can handle an evse

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Infinotize posted:

Yes that kit involves 3O installing all that junk in a crowded breaker box

Which is *** completely unnecessary *** to determine whether they can handle an evse

Especially when a halfway-competent electrician can look at the breaker box (or a photo of it) and determine in about 15 seconds whether it's suitable for an EVSE.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
It doesn’t require installing all of the things. The biggest clamp goes over the cables that connect from the utility pole. Hooking that big clamp and the box up (which I think requires a line or two to the neutral bus bar) will give exact wattage consumption. Then they just have to turn everything on in the house simultaneously to see what the peak power consumption is.

Or they could just use this online load calculator which will give a pretty good estimate of what the NEC would calculate to be adequate, which is what matters if an inspector has to review the work.

https://ask-the-electrician.com/residential-electrical-load-calculation.html#beginAdv

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Whats up with the ash tray full of moss

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

WhiteHowler posted:

Especially when a halfway-competent electrician can look at the breaker box (or a photo of it) and determine in about 15 seconds whether it's suitable for an EVSE.

You can’t really do a load calculation from looking at a breaker box because the fuse amp limits will probably sum to 2x or 3x the capacity of the main breaker.

And even a small main breaker could support an EVSE, for example, if the house is up North and uses gas appliances for everything and has no (or a small) central A/C.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

I’m glad I’m not the only one. To me it kinda looks like the kit I bought on AliExpress to convert my dildo from gasoline to solar power.
How long have you had that avatar

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Jesus, of course I hired an electrician, who has already looked it, there has never been a problem in my life where the solution isn't pay someone else to deal with it. ~Trust but verify~

My joke was getting a discount Chinese charger to going whole hog into Emporia.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Jesus, of course, I hired an electrician who has already looked into it; there has never been a problem in my life where the solution isn't to pay someone else to deal with it. ~Trust but verify~

My joke was getting a discount Chinese charger to go whole hog into Emporia.

Please post pictures of the charger and write a quick review. Smart home automation is quite interesting!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, I'm also interested in what this thing actually does. The manual keeps calling them audio jacks, so I presume those are actually microphones you clamp on to the wire, which are driven by the magnetic field generated by AC, and it's just sampling amplitude as a way of measuring current. That would allow you to see how many amps are going out on each circuit, and then you can calculate watts per circuit, which is interesting I guess.

I'm not sure I would care enough to pay money for this, but please do Let us know what you think of it!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Also please try plugging a walkman into it and playing a Def Leppard tape to see how many amps it reads.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

cruft posted:

Yeah, I'm also interested in what this thing actually does. The manual keeps calling them audio jacks, so I presume those are actually microphones you clamp on to the wire, which are driven by the magnetic field generated by AC, and it's just sampling amplitude as a way of measuring current. That would allow you to see how many amps are going out on each circuit, and then you can calculate watts per circuit, which is interesting I guess.

I'm not sure I would care enough to pay money for this, but please do Let us know what you think of it!

There are a bunch of different sensor types it could be, but they all basically do the same thing via different methods. Current flowing through a wire produces a magnetic field which you can measure to tell how much current is flowing. It all boils down to the stronger the magnetic field; the more current is flowing. The 3.5mm jack is just a convenient connector that is also often used for low power audio applications.

:: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_clamp

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 5, 2023

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
How has this thread been giving electrical advice when no one even knows what a clamp ammeter is. It's like watching a mechanic trying to figure out a screwdriver.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jymmybob posted:

How has this thread been giving electrical advice when no one even knows what a clamp ammeter is. It's like watching a mechanic trying to figure out a screwdriver.

Some of us knows and are just enjoying the spectacle :)

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

cruft posted:

All those white clasp connectors go around each of the hot lines coming from your breakers. They do indeed hook up to the base unit via a 3.5mm audio jack, presumably because the signal they get is analog anyways. Each clasp measures the total amperage being pulled per circuit so you can get a nice display of where your power is going. Here’s what mine looks like:

You’ll notice it doesn’t add up to 100%, that’s because I don’t have my ev charger monitored by it, since it’s an emporia charger it is in the app separately. Also I hosed I’m choosing which circuits to monitor and missed a couple high load ones, but am too lazy to fix it right now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Gonna go ahead and answer the questions ahead of time:

Yes, that is a midcentury modern bowl full of moss, which is a currently a common decorating accessory. Yes I have a giant mini fridge in my dining room, our 4 door fridge in our kitchen broke and it took over a month to get fixed on Friday because of parts, it will be moving into our garage shortly. No I don't like the rug, it was cheap and purchased because we were afraid our two new kittens would destroy it. No I don't love the furniture, my husband's ex picked it out and it's, fine, the chairs will be reupholstered as soon as I can find a textile that works, probably a Diane Von Furstenberg pattern and color that you will also hate. The elephant is not an example of bad random artwork picked up, one time when I was on safari in an open top Land Cruiser a friend of mine took the photo thinking it was a mock charge which is quite common. It wasn't, the elephant attacked us, put our car over a tree, ripping the axle out and I almost died, It has sentimental value but does need to be reframed. The cat is named Pushpin and yes, she has an AirTag.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 5, 2023

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How well does that Roomba work with the transition between hardwood and rug? Our main floor is mostly hardwood but by area most of the space is covered with rugs and I'm not sure how a roomba would handle that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

3O do you ever consider why you might be forced to preemptively defend your extremely weird choices

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

Same way someone might give computer advice without knowing what an SR flip flop is.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

3O do you ever consider why you might be forced to preemptively defend your extremely weird choices

Posters like 3O keep this place from being a boring monoculture.

I think your room, and your cat, look cute. :colbert:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

How well does that Roomba work with the transition between hardwood and rug? Our main floor is mostly hardwood but by area most of the space is covered with rugs and I'm not sure how a roomba would handle that.

Roomba j7+ Combo, which has very recently been superseded by the Roomba j9+ Combo which I would buy had it existed when I bought the one we have. It is amazing, buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD8p3gGo_NA

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 5, 2023

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

just tell people the moss is weed

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

taqueso posted:

just tell people the moss is weed

smoking ditch weed in 2023 is more embarrassing than having a bowl of crusty moss

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Inviting 3O to post more about themselves should be a bannable offense imo

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

bobfather posted:

It doesn’t require installing all of the things. The biggest clamp goes over the cables that connect from the utility pole. Hooking that big clamp and the box up (which I think requires a line or two to the neutral bus bar) will give exact wattage consumption. Then they just have to turn everything on in the house simultaneously to see what the peak power consumption is.

Or they could just use this online load calculator which will give a pretty good estimate of what the NEC would calculate to be adequate, which is what matters if an inspector has to review the work.

https://ask-the-electrician.com/residential-electrical-load-calculation.html#beginAdv

It'd be really cool if some idiot had literally already done that for them in the thread.

Three Olives posted:

Gonna go ahead and answer the questions ahead of time:

I like that rug quite a bit, and the cat.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Keep the rug, remove the cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Silly Burrito posted:

remove the cat