Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

maybeadracula posted:

Discovery: heart in right place. Head up own rear end

So relatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if i was running a starship lost in the delta quadrant i would simply reroute holodeck power to a bank of replicators instead of suffering though a 10 year voyage of leola root burgers

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Warp Speed on my mark....

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Powered Descent posted:

replicate a bunch of replicators

Rom. Though he is a genius.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Does the inside of the cup fan out too?

I imagine the madness of chasing your last drops of raktajino...

It does, meaning you have to quaff it like it was blood wine

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

maybeadracula posted:

Every other scene is a 5-minute monologue of a character processing their trauma.

I recognize that some people really want or need that but I’m not sure it’s what I want or need.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
discovery was trying to be prestige television despite how meaningless that term is. it didn't really have any other themes or ideas. it is completely hollow.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Urghhh the speechifying is interminable and just embarrassing to have to listen to

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

maybeadracula posted:

Picard: heart up own rear end. Head is missing entirely.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Apollodorus posted:

Every other scene is a 5-minute monologue of a character processing their trauma.

I recognize that some people really want or need that but I’m not sure it’s what I want or need.

I mean I actually agree that Discovery seems to fundamentally misunderstand what Star Trek is in exactly the same way Donald Trump doesn't know what dogs are for

But they occasionally put in a speech about Star Fleet or the Federation that seems like they at least know that they're supposed to think it's about something, just like Trump spent his life hearing expressions about dogs

they just have no goddamn clue how to show it because they seem not to understand it

edit: typos and poo poo

maybeadracula fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 5, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Despite them saying it over and over, discovery couldn't convince me the federation was worth saving. So I'll argue rear end not in the right place.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

discovery was trying to be prestige television despite how meaningless that term is. it didn't really have any other themes or ideas. it is completely hollow.

Yes this is exactly the problem. It is trying to make a concept developed for a different era of TV fit the mold of a new era.

But as SNW shows, you don’t have to do that.

However I am glad Discovery tried and (imo) largely failed because it was part of the process of reviving Trek in a new era. It has shown the people in charge of the franchise what does and doesn’t work.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

alexandriao posted:

I mean this sounds like a you problem. It doesn't break my immersion at all

Sorry for not being more clear - I don't have this problem, I'm saying that for the LD detractors, this is what happens. But that when you look at what Trek is, the referential nature is actually on point.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Apollodorus posted:

However I am glad Discovery tried and (imo) largely failed because it was part of the process of reviving Trek in a new era. It has shown the people in charge of the franchise what does and doesn’t work.

That assumes that the people in charge have critical thinking skills. :(

Paramount guy: gotcha, folks don't like a black woman lead. Cancel Prodigy, order 3 more seasons of Picard and start making NFTs of Data's characters from the western episode

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

davidspackage posted:

That assumes that the people in charge have critical thinking skills. :(

Paramount guy: gotcha, folks don't like a black woman lead. Cancel Prodigy, order 3 more seasons of Picard and start making NFTs of Data's characters from the western episode

Sounds like someone’s learned the rules of acquisition by heart.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tigey posted:

Although the docking pylons looked cool, from an 'in-universe' practical design perspective they probably should have pointed outward.

Yeah but consider: you're an alien designing around a spherical shield bubble and consider that more important.

Although I always thought they should've shown Cardassians docking in some wierd way that worked better on DS9 than regular ships. Like maybe they all dock vertically or something. Or there's just a that hangs over the pylon and most of the ship points outwards.

Powered Descent posted:

Replicators don't scale up very well. Remember that for most of the TNG era, they weren't much bigger than a microwave. (It wasn't until Prodigy that we saw one big enough to do an entire shuttlecraft.)

Even in prodigy the vehicle replicator can't just do a full craft. It's basically a bunch of replicator projectors on the ends of moving arms and they wave around drawing a preliminary scaffold and then slowly go over it replicating bit by bit for ages. It's closer to how a 3D printer extruder moves.

When they had a 5 minute time limit they had to set it to just replicate the hull and basic stabilisers and ignore literally everything else to get it done within that timeframe, it didn't even have seats.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

Actually you don't gotta hand it to em for getting everything wrong over and over again

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

McSpanky posted:

Actually you don't gotta hand it to em for getting everything wrong over and over again

Nothing Discovery has made is as bad as Code of Honor or Repentance

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

How many war crimes did Captain Picard commit again

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly probably quite a few if you wanna get technical

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

I mean sure, if we just ignore that they continually palled around with female space hitler through a major swath of the show.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Honestly probably quite a few if you wanna get technical

Yes, and Picard got his technical in Nemesis, so the system works.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

and when that didn't work they went OH poo poo and and brought in the Enterprise, because they realized they had driven away everybody but hardcore fans lmao. Empty poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What's the status of the wormhole? Is there traffic through it?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
enough about your mom already

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

enough about your mom already

*surprised moopsy face*

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

redshirt posted:

What's the status of the wormhole? Is there traffic through it?

Last I heard there was a minefield around it preventing anyone from coming or going to the Gamma quadrant.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Kwatz posted:

I mean sure, if we just ignore that they continually palled around with female space hitler through a major swath of the show.

She’s from an alternate universe. Don’t judge her by the standards of ours.

Also she’s a god drat Oscar winner.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

Last I heard there was a minefield around it preventing anyone from coming or going to the Gamma quadrant.

Does anyone know the dearm code?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

redshirt posted:

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

redshirt posted:

set_saber_realistic_combat true

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Klaatu barada nikto

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

173467321476C32789777643T732V7311788873247678976437

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

173467321476C32789777643T732V7311788873247678976437

Why the gently caress do I know this.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Apollodorus posted:

She’s from an alternate universe. Don’t judge her by the standards of ours.

lmao moral relativism about genocide and cannibalism

The General
Mar 4, 2007

St_Ides posted:

Why the gently caress do I know this.

There's only one string of characters like that in all of Trek.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Powered Descent posted:

Klaatu barada nikto

Bah Weep Granah Weep Ninni Bong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hollismason posted:

LMAO at Sisko just stone cold phasering Bashir after he gets taken over by some alien. "Its me" Phasers immediately.

Hard to imagine the whole cast wasn't looking for an excuse to phaser season 1 Bashir