Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

They should also add a special mode in YouTube for recording boomer videos in your car with sunglasses on

isn’t that what the button at the bottom center on youtube is? who else is going to record directly from the youtube app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dunno I've never tried to make a YouTube video but probably

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The old guy across the street owns a Camaro and when he pulls it out of his garage he revs the engine in the middle of the street. He was out doing yard work yesterday and I revved my Outback four banger at him before driving off. Hope he was impressed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
some road rager beat a teenage kid with a wrench in front of an elementary school yesterday then drove away in a truck with no license plate.

cooooool poo poo

https://westseattleblog.com/2023/11/west-seattle-crime-watch-searching-for-suspect-in-road-rage-assault/

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The old guy across the street owns a Camaro and when he pulls it out of his garage he revs the engine in the middle of the street. He was out doing yard work yesterday and I revved my Outback four banger at him before driving off. Hope he was impressed.

I'm sure he was impressed by the low center of gravity of that boxer-four.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/crazyclipsonly/status/1720731610306187570

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Today I rode the train an hour away and biked to a hike instead of driving there. It was a neat experience.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
cars ftw

https://twitter.com/UberUK/status/1720464062725673132

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://x.com/abc4utah/status/1720889417697477017?s=46&t=8F7xONTuERQU2i-13qYQDw

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

lmao

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Today I rode the train an hour away and biked to a hike instead of driving there. It was a neat experience.

This is the dream

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

um

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

This is why they made skitchin illegal

Because it's too much fun

lol anywhere in the USA that's not some tree lined gated community you are begging for a pothole to end your life though.

Grassy Knowles you ever skitch in NYC or is the traffic just too slow to bother

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re smarter than the Dutch on the basis that they are wearing helmets.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

gently caress yes

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Acceptable use of a car.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Today while biking to my friend's home, I saw two ads for an app to change car ownership, and just now Instagram showed the same thing. How is that an app? Hope frequently do you sell cars? Also thanks for using my tax dollars on even more car stuff I guess.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Pretty sure I just heard a big car or motorbike crash from a few blocks away lol. Nice quiet morning, sounds of loud acceleration noises for about a second followed by the sound of metal dragging along road surface, then quiet again. Sucks to suck I guess.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

got hit by a truck on the way home lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Suplex Liberace posted:

Did you survive?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

just barely. im crushed pretty flat right now head to toe and i have tire tracks across my stomach. It was kinda hard to get home

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
is the truck ok?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What colour hi-vis?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i was wearing my usual red shorts and white suspenders (no shirt) and bright white gloves. So i think i have the truck on that.

it made a frowny face at me but drove away in a huff before i could reinflate myself

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Suplex Liberace posted:

just barely. im crushed pretty flat right now head to toe and i have tire tracks across my stomach. It was kinda hard to get home

Did your teeth do the piano key thing?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Now you get to sue the car and take ownership of it. You can drive the car until you hit a bike yourself.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Did your teeth do the piano key thing?

no nothing fell on my head this time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

i was wearing my usual red shorts and white suspenders (no shirt) and bright white gloves. So i think i have the truck on that.
You're supposed to wear blue bib shorts with the straps on top of a red shirt, and bright white gloves and say "its a me mario" as you bunny hop the truck

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gunshow Poophole posted:

This is why they made skitchin illegal

Because it's too much fun

lol anywhere in the USA that's not some tree lined gated community you are begging for a pothole to end your life though.

Grassy Knowles you ever skitch in NYC or is the traffic just too slow to bother

rarely on wednesday night skate when we swarm a car that is cool with it but not really for more than an initial boost to like 5 MPH. ive seen a few folks genuinely skitch a few times on those nights but only on inlines. im p sure stuttering skater on youtube has footage of a few of those skitchers.

the only two people i would trust to drive me faster are the two girls in my skate crew with automobiles, and they tell me to gently caress right off when I ask them. if i trust them to drive me then i gotta trust them to know when not to.

also please don’t skitch in nyc unless you know where the potholes are better than I do (im not discounting that some of you likely do) especially in this autumnal season where the vehicles are at their most aggressive and the repavings happen at a clip where you may need to check daily.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

car haters are always getting hit or nearly hit by cars

just like car lovers' cars are always breaking down

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

that’s not fair, you just dont hear from all the people who get hit by cars but dont hate them

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

mystes posted:

You're supposed to wear blue bib shorts with the straps on top of a red shirt, and bright white gloves and say "its a me mario" as you bunny hop the truck

god dammit I was gonna make this joke :mad:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

that’s not fair, you just dont hear from all the people who get hit by cars but dont hate them

Ah, the original silent majority

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Suplex Liberace posted:

Skill issue.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

They’re smarter than the Dutch on the basis that they are wearing helmets.

Yeah, those stupid Dutch and their lowest number of fatalities per cycled kilometer. What tools. What utter maroons.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/t...es/202311030074

More than a half-dozen Pittsburgh pedestrians have died in traffic-related incidents so far this year, a number that is already more than double the number of pedestrian fatalities last year and has sparked a desperate plea from the city’s school crossing guards for pedestrians to pay attention.

Through October, seven pedestrians have been killed on Pittsburgh streets and two have been critically injured. Three were killed and three were injured critically in all of 2022, according to Public Safety spokeswoman Cara Cruz.

This needs to stop,” said Donna McManus, Pittsburgh’s crossing guard supervisor. “We need to stop thinking that we’re not going to get hit by a car. Fifty-five percent of the vehicle versus pedestrian accidents are caused by pedestrians, and it is so easily fixed.”

It ties 2019 for the highest number of pedestrian fatalities in the past six years — with nearly two full months left in 2023..

She said she tries to draw attention to the issues — jaywalking, crossing against the light — when she sees them.

Once she was covering a corner in Point Breeze for one of her crossing guards who was shaken up after witnessing an accident. It was still dark the next morning when Ms. McManus was waiting to shepherd a group of school kids across the street once the light changed.

“This woman came jogging across the street against the light. As she jogged past me, I said, ‘Hey, you need to wait for the light,’” she recounted. “She yelled, ‘I’m an adult.’”

She got a similar sentiment from a woman crossing Mazeroski Way with her young child in tow Thursday ahead of the Steelers game. Ms. McManus shouted for the woman to wait for the light.

She said the woman ignored her.

“I said, ‘Come on, you have a kid with you,’” she said.

The woman responded, she said, with a haughty, “Don’t tell me what to do with my kid.”

“That mentality — we have to change behavior,” Ms. McManus said. “We have to do something.”

Pedestrians need to look and to listen, she said, and wait for the signal to cross — whether it comes from the walk sign or from a crossing guard.

“You cannot walk through the city with your phone like this,” she said, craning her neck downward and holding her hand up to her face. “Take your Air Pods out of your ears so you can hear what’s coming.”

It’s not a problem that’s unique to Pittsburgh.

Preliminary 2022 data from the Governors Highway Safety Association indicated that around 7,508 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes last year — the highest number of pedestrian deaths since 1981, according to the report from GHSA, a nonprofit representing U.S. states’ safety offices.

A major increase has come in just that past decade: from 2010 to 2021, pedestrian fatalities rose 77%, according to the report. All other traffic fatalities rose by about a quarter during that time. Pedestrian deaths went from accounting for about 13% of all traffic deaths to more than 17% in that time.

In Pennsylvania, pedestrian deaths were falling in the years before the COVID-19 pandemic — from 201 in 2018 to 154 in 2019 and 146 in 2020. In 2021 that number jumped to 182. Last year 184 pedestrians were killed on Pennsylvania roads, according to PennDOT data.

Officials said that was the second-highest total in the past two decades.

Through the first eight months of 2023, 109 pedestrians were killed statewide, up slightly from the 105 recorded during the same time period last year.

Ms. McManus said she gets requests weekly for crossing guards to be stationed on new corners across the city, but with only 62 crossing guards currently working, it’s just not possible. Choosing a new corner at which to station guards is a process — there is a rubric and scoring that has to be done, and pedestrian and vehicle traffic has to be analyzed.

“I can’t put a crossing guard on a corner for one kid. I’d love to,” she said.

Most recently, Ms. McManus stationed a guard at a new intersection in the city’s Northview Heights neighborhood. Public safety evaluated the intersection last year, she said, but she didn’t have enough people to staff that corner until this year. Some 150 kids cross there each day, she said.

The crossing guard shortage, too, isn’t unique to Pittsburgh.

In Camp Hill in Cumberland County, officials had trouble filling just the eight crossing guard posts they had throughout the borough. They hadn’t been able to fill all the positions in 2022, and only two agreed to come back in 2023, CBS21 reported over the summer.

Borough council ultimately raised the pay to $20 an hour in an effort to entice more applicants. They also hired a company to help with recruitment.

In Memphis, Tenn., the city was short more than 90 crossing guards, according to a Fox 13 report last month. The shortage was magnified after a 12-year-old girl was struck and injured leaving her middle school for the day. Crossing guards end their afternoon shifts around 3:30 p.m., the TV station reported — about 15 minutes after school lets out for the day.

It’s also not a new problem.

Pittsburgh has budgeted for the same number next year — 75 full-time crossing guards, one supervisor, and one assistant supervisor. The hourly rate for crossing guards is tentatively set to increase from $15.91 an hour to $16.39.

The number of guards the city budgeted for has been declining for years, dropping from 104 in 2018 to the 75 in the current budget. The city did not staff a full complement of crossing guards during that time even as the number of positions fell. Even still, Ms. McManus said, they averaged around 80-90 crossing guards pre-pandemic.

In years past, if there were a particularly busy crossing that guards weren’t able to cover, Ms. McManus would ask Pittsburgh police to step in.

“They’re as short-staffed as we are,” she said. “I can’t ask police to cover something. They have enough to worry about. We’re pretty much on our own when it comes to figuring out the best possible solutions.”

All of this has culminated in a new campaign by the city’s Public Safety Department called “Wait 4 the Walk.” It’s an effort to get pedestrians to cross the street properly — not just children, but adults, too.

“Here’s what you have to think about when you [jaywalk or cross against the light]: Who’s watching you?” she said. “There are children on school buses, there are children on PRT buses, there are other adults watching. We need to do a better job as adults in modeling safe behavior when crossing the street.”

When crossing guards catch pedestrians doing it right — adult or child — they’ll give out a “Wait 4 the Walk” sticker. She said crossing guards are trying to capitalize on sticker collecting and the current “sticker infatuation.”

“It’s about positive reinforcement of modeling safe behavior when you’re crossing the road,” she said. “I want to keep people alive.”

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Crossing guard posted at intersection with traffic signals sees no problem with car behavior

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017
Are there any data about whether it is safer to cross during the "walk" signal or to carefully look for an opening in car traffic and cross without regard for the signal?

I hypothesize that waiting for the signal to cross is often more dangerous. It urges you to cross during a short period of time whether or not it is safe, and it gives you the false sense that cars won't run you over.

I have had some close calls crossing legally during the walk signal because turning cars drove though the crosswalk without yielding to pedestrians.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

FlutieFlake posted:

Are there any data about whether it is safer to cross during the "walk" signal or to carefully look for an opening in car traffic and cross without regard for the signal?

I hypothesize that waiting for the signal to cross is often more dangerous. It urges you to cross during a short period of time whether or not it is safe, and it gives you the false sense that cars won't run you over.

I have had some close calls crossing legally during the walk signal because turning cars drove though the crosswalk without yielding to pedestrians.

It's not a less likely death just a more noble one, to die for following the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

FlutieFlake posted:

If there's a situation where there are no cars, but you don't have a signal, and by the time you get a signal there may be cars, I can definitely see it being safer to just cross, but trying to compare numbers for waiting for a signal vs not in general just seems silly because there are lots of places where the road is wide enough and busy enough that you're never going to be able to cross safely without a signal, so just having to worry about cars turning right on red is an improvement.