Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Thanks for the clip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Former Human posted:

Despite the fact most people in this thread don't listen to the show anymore (for obvious reasons) I appreciate that the thread exists and people here are stable.

:agreed: Although some of us never even listened to the show on anything close to a regular basis -- 100% of my knowledge of the show comes from my uncle's old VHS tapes, YouTube, and this thread. The fact that Billy West was on the show was something I had no idea about initially, and I didn't even know who Jackie Martling was.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Former Human posted:

Despite the fact most people in this thread don't listen to the show anymore (for obvious reasons) I appreciate that the thread exists and people here are stable. I know Reddit is populated by crazy people but the Stern subreddit really epitomizes this. At least half the members are conspiracy theorists or MAGA idiots who hate that Howard won't suck up to Trump or do nonstop racist jokes. I thought about making a list of their greatest hits but :effort:

I havent ventured into a Simpsons thread in years, but I feel the same way about them both. The last live stern show I listened to would probably be around the last new Simpsons episode Ive watched.....and I LOVE The Simpsons

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I havent ventured into a Simpsons thread in years, but I feel the same way about them both. The last live stern show I listened to would probably be around the last new Simpsons episode Ive watched.....and I LOVE The Simpsons

Same, I still trade quotes with my best friend from episodes that aired probably close to 30 years ago. It's just like the Stern show: Even though it's pretty awful nowadays, it was SO loving GOOD in its prime.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Guy I work with has GTR's "whoop whoop" Insane Clown Posse chant as his cell phone tone.

Why, yes, he is as old as I am now that you asked.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I've had a ton of Stern show ringtones through the years. Ronnie lines, too many to count. Scott the engineer. Zero point zero, which I loved to let ring and would argue "FRED DON'T PUSH THE drat BUTTON" with my phone like a normal person. Some of these would go on unintentionally because I lost a bet like the "uuaaaugh oh" from the my needs my possessions guy.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm one of the few people who still listens, with the caveat that I skip about 30-40% of the show segments on any given day. And I don't listen live, I listen podcast style.

Why do I still listen?

-I'm just as fascinated with the Wack Pack as I've always been. Medicated Pete having gay sex at the nude beach was an instant classic for me.
As far as I'm concerned, JD, Sal, and Richard are all wack packers, they just happen to have some skills that Howard pays for.
This cuts both ways, though, as my most skipped segments are always Larry KOAB, High Pitch, Benjy, and Bobo.
He's also slowly turning his wife into an auxiliary wack packer, her addiction to sugar and saving cats is occasionally shocking.

-Howard somehow manages to hook me with his old stories I've heard a million times, because he manages to keep adding new details, ever loving time.
Hearing about his parents getting robbed so many times was interesting, especially given how hard Howard tried to keep that out of the news back in the day.

-I love any kind of Theater Of The Mind stuff Howard does with Robin. I know that "The Agent" stuff isn't terribly popular in this thread, but I've been loving Howard as "Travis's Agent"

-Occasionally Benji feeds Howard an amazing line at the right moment, and it's just awesome. Happens a few times a week.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

BiggerBoat posted:

Guy I work with has GTR's "whoop whoop" Insane Clown Posse chant as his cell phone tone.

Why, yes, he is as old as I am now that you asked.

Les Legs is still the best caller into any show ever.

That I can remember, being in the same age group.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I'm always a little shocked when I remember The Simpsons is still on. I don't know one person who has watched it in two decades. It must still get ratings, otherwise it would be cancelled, but how?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have to imagine with dwindling cable viewership, ratings that would have resulted in a cancellation 20-30 years ago are now enough to keep a show on for years. The Simpsons probably has enough cultural cache and fans that tune in regardless of quality that it's worth it to Fox to keep pumping out. Production cost with modern computers is also probably a fraction of what it was years ago.

I would actually like to know what cable viewership is like in general. Anecdotally even the boomers and older folks in my life who lack technological sophistication still talk about Netflix/etc. shows.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Latest data I can find shows the Simpsons averages about 1.8m viewers which is pretty good by modern standards but obviously nowhere near what it used to do. The combo of being cheap to produce, having characters that don't age (except Marge's voice), and having the same time slot for 30 years as counter programming to Sunday Night Football which is consistently the highest watched program on TV has them set to just pump it out. Broadcast TV viewership is dominated by sports, followed far behind by competition shows (The Voice, AGT) and cable news. Everyone else is fighting for the scraps.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I think I remember hearing that the voice talent took paycuts awhile ago to keep it going. Smart move!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Yeah. They were famous for holding out until the entire core cast got like $2m an episode or something. With every extension they have been taking less and less (though still a stupid number like $400m).

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Latest data I can find shows the Simpsons averages about 1.8m viewers which is pretty good by modern standards but obviously nowhere near what it used to do. The combo of being cheap to produce, having characters that don't age (except Marge's voice), and having the same time slot for 30 years as counter programming to Sunday Night Football which is consistently the highest watched program on TV has them set to just pump it out. Broadcast TV viewership is dominated by sports, followed far behind by competition shows (The Voice, AGT) and cable news. Everyone else is fighting for the scraps.

Yeah the cost is definitely a huge factor. Daniel Tosh flat out said the reason his show lasted so long was because it cost Comedy Central basically no money (probably even less than your typical poo poo reality show). It actually might even still be going if some new executive hadn't taken over and changed the programming for the entire network.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 5, 2023

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Without question they could produce a whole season of Tosh.0 for the price of a single episode of one of their live action sitcoms.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Lifespan posted:

I cut the cable hard 4 years ago, I was gearing up to start a new business, so I didn't have time for TV anyway.

But, I live close enough to Boston and Providence that with a decent rooftop antenna (which are small now), I can get drat near 100 channels of broadcast TV, including 9 PBS channels (I really like PBS).
Let me tell you, on a modern TV, sports look WAYYYY better on the hi-def OTA broadcasts than they ever did on cable! You don't realize how hard cable is compressing the signal until stuff starts moving, and the OTA broadcasts are crystal clear and smooth as butter. Even my Nature and Nova look way better on the antenna.

Since then, though, a lot of sports content has gone behind cable paywalls, last year there was almost no playoff hockey OTA in my area.

Anyway, babble babble babble, you don't need cable for sports.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
My guess is that The Simpsons still has better ratings then the "other" animated shows out there. Going against the likes of Rick and Morty, Archer, Family Guy and the Futurama reboot probably still makes it the highest rated "adult animated" show being produced. Southpark may actually give it a run now....but jesus that is 30 years old too.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

Anyway, babble babble babble, you don't need cable for sports.

I live far enough away from the transmitters that I would need a massive antenna. You are totally right about the quality though. After discounts from bundling with internet and including premium channels I would buy anyway, my cable/DVR is only about $20 a month. Of course then I need to spend a fortune to watch my NBA team in another market.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

My guess is that The Simpsons still has better ratings then the "other" animated shows out there. Going against the likes of Rick and Morty, Archer, Family Guy and the Futurama reboot probably still makes it the highest rated "adult animated" show being produced. Southpark may actually give it a run now....but jesus that is 30 years old too.

I just did a quick search and you are right, at least for broadcast. Who knows how streaming alters viewership numbers, but Rick and Morty is about half of what The Simpsons pulls in.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
2 million viewers for a 75 year old cartoon isn't too bad to be honest. The last game of the World Series only got 9 million!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Yeah, it's pretty good. Sunday night football is usually the top rated program every week with between 20m and 30m viewers depending on the match up, so pulling almost 2m with a 30yo cartoon during that time is pretty impressive.

Back on topic, Howard pulling in "30m listeners" is not impressive because we know that he provides more content a year at a higher quality than all of the late night programs.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

haljordan posted:

Yeah the cost is definitely a huge factor. Daniel Tosh flat out said the reason his show lasted so long was because it cost Comedy Central basically no money (probably even less than your typical poo poo reality show). It actually might even still be going if some new executive hadn't taken over and changed the programming for the entire network.

Does Comedy Central have any original programming anymore aside from The Daily Show and whenever South Park decides to make tv episodes?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

Does Comedy Central have any original programming anymore aside from The Daily Show and whenever South Park decides to make tv episodes?

Flipping through the channels I’d say they exclusively run The Office 24/7. Sad to say for the channel that gave me The Kids in the Hall, The Young Ones, all the bad episodes of SNL that everyone pretends not to exist outside of Eddie Murphy sketches, and so much other good poo poo in the 90s.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

Nope, like Szyznyk said it's pretty much all Office reruns now. Really sucks, I remember watching Upright Citizens Brigade on that channel when I was a senior in high school.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

1glitch0 posted:

wait til you find out how many hours of Ridiculousness MTV airs a week

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Mob posted:

wait til you find out how many hours of Ridiculousness MTV airs a week

It's all the week excluding maybe one episode of teen mom, which I know because I'm still bitter that was one of the viacom channels that youtube TV decided was worth forcing me to pay an extra $15 a month.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The most recent Knowledge Fight is covering Alex Jones' appearance on the Stern show. If you're unfamiliar, Knowledge Fight is a podcast that has been documenting and exposing InfoWars for the past 7 or so years, and they consulted with the lawyers against Jones in the Sandy Hook civil trial.

I'm honestly shocked it took almost 900 episodes to cover that interview.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
How many times did Howard ask Alex about his father?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did they get Alex on the sybian

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Bonzo posted:

How many times did Howard ask Alex about his father?

I haven't listened yet, but Alex likes to talk about how his dad was the smartest boy in Texas, and the government had him build a laser out of spare parts as a test. And he was a CIA dentist.

I can't confirm the veracity of any of that, but he definitely was a John Birch weirdo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DangerDummy! posted:

I haven't listened yet, but Alex likes to talk about how his dad was the smartest boy in Texas, and the government had him build a laser out of spare parts as a test. And he was a CIA dentist.

I can't confirm the veracity of any of that, but he definitely was a John Birch weirdo.

Well I hope you're not wasting any time doing so.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well I hope you're not wasting any time doing so.

If I valued my time, I wouldn't be posting on something awful or listening to podcasts about bigoted propagandists with CTE fueled main character delusions.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DangerDummy! posted:

If I valued my time, I wouldn't be posting on something awful or listening to podcasts about bigoted propagandists with CTE fueled main character delusions.

Ah, you've got me there....

Guess I'll just go listen to a 2 hour 'clip' of Eric screwing up his opportunity to play Travis Bickle in Colin Quinn's Taxi Driver remake/parody.

Should've called him Travis Pickle.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Hey so in one of the old Richard Gay KC songs to the tune of "Take a look at me now"

Richard has a line at the end, singing as Cabbie, "And if you're worried about the mess you can finish in my......" and Howard kills the song anticipating the next word he would have to dump.

I have always thought it was "finish in my mouth" but it doesnt really match the rhyming of the previous verse.
Anyone know what it is?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Could be ABBA rhyme scheme
Down
Orally
Worry
Mouth

But it’s Richard so who knows

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
If you email Richard he will probably respond and tell you.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I emailed him one time to ask something about drums and he wrote back a day later. He answered my question, was really nice and offered to sell me his Roland kit

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm not a professional songologist, but "rear end" rhymes with "Mess" better than "Worry" or "Mouth" do...

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm not a professional songologist, but "rear end" rhymes with "Mess" better than "Worry" or "Mouth" do...

Here is the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCExsHCc

Starts at 1:38

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

It's obviously finish in my chest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Ether Frenzy posted:

Most definitely but the hole song is about pleasing kc orally