Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

after your new passion for elden ring, can you ever really trust your own opinions on anything ever again?

***YES*** I think I can...trust...my ******************OPINION******************* on how *consults thesaurus* atrocious, abominable, dissatisfactory, dreadful, deficient, and.................\\\\\unacceptable\\\\\ Disco Elysium's lovely writing and ***********************************************FORMATTING************************************************* is

gloaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Fwiw I never felt disco elysiums writing was attempting to be mind blowingly profound or anything like that, it felt very tongue in cheek and satirical toward that very thing. It was a very funny game

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

pixel bitches posted:

Fwiw I never felt disco elysiums writing was attempting to be mind blowingly profound or anything like that, it felt very tongue in cheek and satirical toward that very thing. It was a very funny game

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Considering how messed up the procedural Hitman: Blood Money newspapers could get I'm surprised how coherent Kim's end of game wrap up text is.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

pixel bitches posted:

game nerds will elevate and defend the most inane anything because they build their identity around the only things they can manage

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

DrPossum posted:

game nerds will elevate and defend the most inane anything because they build their identity around the only things they can manage

I mean I'm sure some of them do but what does that have to do with me?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Disco Elysium would be a fun game to get my dad to play because he thinks he's extremely liberal and progressive (in a "i had a lot of cuban and black friends as a kid" way) but actually he's a fascist bootlicker and racist and it would be funny to see the game call him out on it

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 5, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I just read the *asterisk text* in that voice you use when conveying ideas or beliefs someone else has that you don't respect or think are melodramatic or stupid. Like when you hear a right winger going on about whatever crazy poo poo they think happened in the world or can and will happen somehow.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

pixel bitches posted:

So it's like that thing where a game makes a joke about terrible sewer levels and then sends you to a terrible sewer level? noice

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I tried to play DE but it turns out I also don't like reading.

*loads up blood gulch/dust2*

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Khanstant posted:

I just read the *asterisk text* in that voice you use when conveying ideas or beliefs someone else has that you don't respect or think are melodramatic or stupid. Like when you hear a right winger going on about whatever crazy poo poo they think happened in the world or can and will happen somehow.

It's supposed to be like putting the text in italics, which just makes me wonder why the text is not in italics.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

deep dish peat moss posted:

Disco Elysium would be a fun game to get my dad to play because he thinks he's extremely liberal and progressive (in a "i had a lot of cuban and black friends as a kid" way) but actually he's a fascist bootlicker and racist and it would be funny to see the game call him out on it

This video game would own my daddy so hard he'd finally love me is exactly the kind of take I'd expect from a DE fan

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

big black turnout posted:

This video game would own my daddy so hard he'd finally love me is exactly the kind of take I'd expect from a DE fan

All the disco Elysium fans are too busy with their first-year polisci classes to get owned by this post

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

it's not even the words that bother me so much in that screenshot, though it all sounds like a bunch of pretentious bullshit and anyone who uses the word 'gloaming' in a video game should be beaten with a sack of oranges, it's the formatting. There is zero reason to have all those asterisks and dashes. It's an amateurish butchery of language to try and make up for poor writing that can't convey emphasis on its own and I hate it. It legit makes me angry. Both that it exists at all, and that some people swear up and down that this is good writing.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 12 days!)

pixel bitches posted:

i didn't get far enough to tell if it was reaching for that, but i did pick up on that it was trying to be funny and clever in a way that annoyed and bored me. plus it's wrapped in the loving isometric point and wait for your character to slowly move towards an object that turns out to be unimportant gameplay which i can stand for about 30 minutes.

if i was 17 i would've powered through, and i'm sure there are some good sections of writing in it, but now i know nobody's that smart and i'm not going to get smarter about politics or whatever through playing a wanky video game. i just didn't like the writing, thought the art style was ugly, thought the UI was boring, the gameplay was boring. there was just nothing appealing about it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

it's not even the words that bother me so much in that screenshot, though it all sounds like a bunch of pretentious bullshit and anyone who uses the word 'gloaming' in a video game should be beaten with a sack of oranges, it's the formatting. There is zero reason to have all those asterisks and dashes. It's an amateurish butchery of language to try and make up for poor writing that can't convey emphasis on its own and I hate it. It legit makes me angry. Both that it exists at all, and that some people swear up and down that this is good writing.

I only played the directors cut which p much has every line voice acted, so in effect all that stupid excessive formatting just felt like voice direction notation to me and didn't pay much more attention to it other than that. Of course if you tried to write a novel or something in that style it would be awful. But disco elysium isn't a novel. It's not some great literary masterpiece. It's a video game. The writing is only a part of the whole and its fine just fine. It's the rest of the game that elevates the whole package to being something worthwhile. Imo.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't like voice acting. It's all Bear Seek Seek Lest to me

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

The voice acting sucks because everyone sounds like the same French guy with slightly different inflections.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

pixel bitches posted:

I mean I'm sure some of them do but what does that have to do with me?

I'm agreeing with you against anyone that says the writing is mindblowingly profound

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

DrPossum posted:

I'm agreeing with you against anyone that says the writing is mindblowingly profound

👍

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The best part of disco elysium fans is when their ideological true warrior is an incel on an island with a sniper rifle.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
if I had to choose at gunpoint between rereading Blood Meridian or replaying DE on the spot I'd take Blood Meridian

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Currently only an hour in of this 6 hour long history of EVE online video and things are starting to get both weird and depressing.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Kim is quoting someone else's strange vocabulary - the use of the word *gloaming* is SUPPOSED to be weird and pretentious. And it's just using asterisks in place of scare quotes, which isn't unprecedented. Sure, it's unconventional for American English, sure, but idk why that would bother you so much - it's just a slightly different punctuation mark used for a very ordinary and conventional purpose. They probably did it like that because the game has to use quote marks so frequently for the dialogue, and nested quote marks suck rear end for readability. It's not *amateurish butchery of language*, you just have bad reading comprehension.

also that screenshot is hilarious. "but he's a great detective" lmao. Disco Elysium isn't some kind of profound literary masterpiece, but it is funny as hell.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Vakal posted:

Currently only an hour in of this 6 hour long history of EVE online video and things are starting to get both weird and depressing.

I haven't even tried watching that video but I did play eve for nearly a decade and I can assure you, it's only downhill

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I figured like half the video must be solely focused on Goonfleet. Wonder if it will drive up registrations?

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

The reliance on multiplayer experiences create games with very short "half-lifes" where they can only be experienced briefly.

When combined with "live service" models, you get games that only have their best content for mere moments before they disappear.

Fomo can sell games initially, but that's not substantiate.

I think "Fall Guys" is the best example of this. Is anyone still playing that? The moment you have to wait 20 minutes for a match, the game has lost it's appeal. I'm not going to wait nearly half an hour only to be eliminated in the first round.

Busters fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 5, 2023

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
If you hated Disco Elysium you would HATE Kentucky Route Zero.

I think theyre both great.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kentucky Route Zero is good.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 12 days!)

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

If you hated Disco Elysium you would HATE Kentucky Route Zero.

I think theyre both great.

i basically hated disco elysium but i kind of liked kentucky route zero. it's got a completely different tone. the gameplay is boring yeah, so i didn't finish all of it since the story was inscrutable and i wasn't compelled to see where it went, but i enjoyed the 3 or so episodes I did play of it.

i think these kind of adventure games should be like, maximum 5 hours. i'd actually complete them if they were. the minimal interaction creates a kind of race to the bottom between how long i can endure that boredom against how much all the other elements make me want to see more. shorter the game, better chance the latter has of winning.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
If I was upset about improper use of asterisk I would not consider calling other people nerds.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

roomtone posted:

i basically hated disco elysium but i kind of liked kentucky route zero. it's got a completely different tone. the gameplay is boring yeah, so i didn't finish all of it since the story was inscrutable and i wasn't compelled to see where it went, but i enjoyed the 3 or so episodes I did play of it.

i think these kind of adventure games should be like, maximum 5 hours. i'd actually complete them if they were. the minimal interaction creates a kind of race to the bottom between how long i can endure that boredom against how much all the other elements make me want to see more. shorter the game, better chance the latter has of winning.

You should play Oxenfree.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's not *amateurish butchery of language*,

:allears:

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I liked the part where he used his fingers to mime a cock carousel.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The rampant punctuation is a thing, but the biggest thing about that text block I walked away with was wondering who the gently caress talks like that. The forcibly inserted buzz words feel like some freshman shoving the words they learned in class into every other sentence of their homework, or possibly some dumb memo from corporate. Nobody actually speaks like that.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

The rampant punctuation is a thing, but the biggest thing about that text block I walked away with was wondering who the gently caress talks like that. The forcibly inserted buzz words feel like some freshman shoving the words they learned in class into every other sentence of their homework, or possibly some dumb memo from corporate. Nobody actually speaks like that.

I've always assumed the asterisks were meant to indicate air quotes, which makes sense since Kim is trying to describe how weird Harry is using Harry's own language.

I honestly had no idea the game was this divisive. Like, I bounced off of it too after a little while but I can accept that it wasn't quite for me without making blanket statements about the people who enjoyed being insufferable poli sci babies. Flaws aside I think the game had lot to enjoy and I don't think it's terribly hard to see that.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 5, 2023

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

DE is a game for people with a very particular kind of political brainworms and I won't fault anyone for not liking it. Casting podcast guys fit with its podcast vibes and asking any normal person to enjoy that is a tall order.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Enemabag Jones posted:

DE is a game for people with a very particular kind of political brainworms and I won't fault anyone for not liking it. Casting podcast guys fit with its podcast vibes and asking any normal person to enjoy that is a tall order.

I loving hate podcasts, maybe that had something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Enemabag Jones posted:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I loving hate podcasts, maybe that had something to do with it.

I think there is absolutely something to this because I have/am adjacent enough to the kind of brainworms should like it, but I hate podcasts