Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

mystes posted:

If there's a situation where there are no cars, but you don't have a signal, and by the time you get a signal there may be cars, I can definitely see it being safer to just cross, but trying to compare numbers for waiting for a signal vs not in general just seems silly because there are lots of places where the road is wide enough and busy enough that you're never going to be able to cross safely without a signal, so just having to worry about cars turning right on red is an improvement.

That's true. I was thinking of narrower roads (like one lane in each direction), but there are definitely roads that are not safe to cross without the walk signal, and even then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This may be my European sensibilities talking, but I feel like only like a tenth of drivers will actually ignore red lights and not look at pedestrians. Which is still bad odds, but not certain death.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I can cross the street easily

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Smythe posted:

prove it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The safest way to cross the street is to hail a vehicle (make sure to use Lyft, Uber is problematic) and direct the driver to drop you off on the other side. This is the only option with a 100% survival rate. Don't forget to tip generously!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steen71 posted:

Yeah, those stupid Dutch and their lowest number of fatalities per cycled kilometer. What tools. What utter maroons.

People give Americans a hard time for not buckling their seatbelts, but the American motorist death rate is even lower than the Dutch cyclist death rate.

We’re closing the thread at midnight.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

FlutieFlake posted:

Are there any data about whether it is safer to cross during the "walk" signal or to carefully look for an opening in car traffic and cross without regard for the signal?

I hypothesize that waiting for the signal to cross is often more dangerous. It urges you to cross during a short period of time whether or not it is safe, and it gives you the false sense that cars won't run you over.

I have had some close calls crossing legally during the walk signal because turning cars drove though the crosswalk without yielding to pedestrians.

Obviously depends a lot on the intersection and the timing of the walk lights. In a case where there's a shitload of turning traffic and the walk sign is only on when turning traffic has green, then there's really no "safe" time to ever cross that intersection.

The Boston area has a lot of intersections that stop all traffic for the walk signs and I appreciate that.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

sorry id post a video as proof but the kiwifarms / fyad doxxers are watching my every move. stay safe out there....

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
they did close most of the underground tunnel crossings (usually for schools) around here kuz crackheads and bums or w/e had mega colonized them. they were fenced off for years but over the last while they been filling them in with concrete. sad to see the cool tunnels go. would be better to improve our society rather than literally pouring concrete over the symptoms but, well...

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Can't wait till they implement all this poo poo and it doesn't make a dent. What then? We're cruising towards criminalizing walking even harder lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That article completely neglects to mention that 2010, when pedestrian deaths started ticking back up, is also around when the smartphone became ubiquitous and when trucks started getting so big you couldn’t see a child in front of them

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
children need to get bigger faster so they can see into the truck drivers windows to tell if they are on their cell phones or if it is safe to cross

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That article completely neglects to mention that 2010, when pedestrian deaths started ticking back up, is also around when the smartphone became ubiquitous and when trucks started getting so big you couldn’t see a child in front of them

expected way better from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette .... do better

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Smythe posted:

I'm crossing the street right now

speng31b
May 8, 2010

ArmedZombie posted:

I'm crossing the street right now

hope you remembered to maintain eye contact

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

speng31b posted:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I crossed dozens of streets safely today, all I had to do was bare my oversized incisors and hiss to make turning vehicles backed off.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I wait at lights and go out of my way to crosswalks even when there's nobody around and it's nighttime. lowkey kanty vibes.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/josiahhughes/status/1721156675443257564

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
simply open carry and point the gun barrel at the drivers while crossing, op

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

they did close most of the underground tunnel crossings (usually for schools) around here kuz crackheads and bums or w/e had mega colonized them. they were fenced off for years but over the last while they been filling them in with concrete. sad to see the cool tunnels go. would be better to improve our society rather than literally pouring concrete over the symptoms but, well...
one of the more 'holy poo poo you can do that??!?!" experiences i had was visitting paris and crossing all the major streets underneath them through tunnels. gamechanger, i was like why the gently caress doesn't america do this

then i realized that its for those reasons

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
if we had tunnels then hamas would take over the country

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

speng31b posted:

i eye contact each driver and give them all the triple finger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz48TpZONG0

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Xaris posted:

one of the more 'holy poo poo you can do that??!?!" experiences i had was visitting paris and crossing all the major streets underneath them through tunnels. gamechanger, i was like why the gently caress doesn't america do this

chicago does this under lake shore drive

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Xaris posted:

this is the central plot point in irreversible

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
There's a ridiculous stroad with a two-stage crossing next to where I live and yeah it's much faster to dip down into the subway station and come back up on the other side.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Peanut President posted:

chicago does this under lake shore drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMNui0s0s4c

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

If there's a situation where there are no cars, but you don't have a signal, and by the time you get a signal there may be cars, I can definitely see it being safer to just cross, but trying to compare numbers for waiting for a signal vs not in general just seems silly because there are lots of places where the road is wide enough and busy enough that you're never going to be able to cross safely without a signal, so just having to worry about cars turning right on red is an improvement.

gently caress right on red, I've come close to being hit by cars turning right on green, primarily because we don't believe in leading pedestrian intervals in the US.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I find that it’s often safest to just stay the gently caress away from the intersection and cross during a gap in cars

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
happy daylight savings day everyone. enjoy your extra hour of night driving everyday. :backtowork:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ham Equity posted:

gently caress right on red, I've come close to being hit by cars turning right on green, primarily because we don't believe in leading pedestrian intervals in the US.

left on red is where it's at... especially in WA

quote:

Two Situations in Which a Left Turn on Red Is Appropriate

There are two situations where a driver might turn left onto a one-way street at a red light.
  • Turning left from a one-way street.
  • Turning left from a two-way street.
    Most states allow drivers to turn left on red onto a one-way street from a one-way street. A few states allow drivers to turn left on red onto a one-way street from a one-way street and a two-way street.

Left on Red? Situation One

The forty-two states shown in the map below allow drivers to turn left on red onto a one-way street from a one-way street (If no sign prohibits the turn). Puerto Rico is not shown but allows left on red from a one-way street onto a one-way street.

States and US Territory That Permit a Left Turn on Red from a One-way Street

Forty-two states and Puerto Rico allow left on red only from a one-way street. Five of these states also allow left on red from two-way streets.

Left on Red? Situation Two

Five states permit left turns on red onto a one-way street from a one-way and a two-way street (If no sign prohibits the turn):

• Alaska
  • Idaho
  • Michigan
  • Oregon
  • Washington

Be sure to come to a complete stop and give the right of way to any vehicle in or near the intersection.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

left on red is where it's at... especially in WA

I do this one onto freeway onramps and my passengers hate it, it's ftw

Ham Equity posted:

seattle and east seattle have been switching signals to that

mystes
May 31, 2006

There shouldn't be right on red and it's also insane for signals to give cars a green light at the same time as pedestrians are crossing at all without having a red turn arrow or whatever (not just leading pedestrian intervals)

But I guess to work well that would involve slightly upgrading us traffic signals so they can actually detect pedestrians like in other countries so it's completely impossible in the us

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

mystes posted:

But I guess to work well that would involve slightly upgrading us traffic signals so they can actually detect pedestrians like in other countries so it's completely impossible in the us
Everything goes back to that GBS death bridge thread. The problem is clear, the solution is clear, the solution is simple and easy as gently caress. It just can’t be solved, because in the 21st century USA, hard things are unthinkable, and easy things are impossible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Everything goes back to that GBS death bridge thread. The problem is clear, the solution is clear, the solution is simple and easy as gently caress. It just can’t be solved, because in the 21st century USA, hard things are unthinkable, and easy things are impossible.

I prescribe you thirty thousand dollars of media training.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I just assume every car with an operator in it is trying to actively kill me at all moments and act accordingly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://amp.abc.net.au/article/103067428

drat, cars ftw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
pedestrian underpasses (and also overpasses) are car-brained nonsense. You force people to take stairs (and/or invest thousands in elevators and other associated infrastructure) just so cars don't have to stop at an at-grade crosswalk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

pedestrian underpasses (and also overpasses) are car-brained nonsense. You force people to take stairs (and/or invest thousands in elevators and other associated infrastructure) just so cars don't have to stop at an at-grade crosswalk
otoh underpasses have zero moments where your life is dependent on a car driver