Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Considering solitaire is on every single windows pc for decades, I'd argue it's a bit more common than the board game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Considering solitaire is on every single windows pc for decades, I'd argue it's a bit more common than the board game.

Not in any useful sense, you would need to pull out a study showing a large enough number of people in Germany actually played the game, instead of having it quietly rotting on their harddrives.

To be fair, I'd be really impressed if you could pull this off

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
A quick google search yields that by 2020 according to Microsoft, there were globally "35 million active monthly player and more than 100 million games played daily."
Unless Germany happens to be a massive outlier, or all the solitaire players are clumped together in some other place, we can assume that those numbers are roughly representative of an average German too (I'd actually expect they are quite a bit higher than that, because the average German is more likely to be bored in an office than the average Indian person.) Germany is roughly 1% of the global population so we get a million daily games around here. That's one for every 80 people.
And while I obviously have no data on the amount of time someone plays the board game, I don't think it's quite as often. Plus, there are people who play Solitaire with an actual card deck, which may well be comparable the board game.

Does that suffice for the Fermi question? Did I pass the application for the job, or do I need to go through another interview?

Sorry for this silly derail. :v:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

makes me sad reading the translator note on every issue :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Someone remind me: what comes first, the exam arc or the priest one?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mordja posted:

Someone remind me: what comes first, the exam arc or the priest one?

If you mean Sein, he arrives and leaves prior to the first level exams.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I just want to see Denken animated

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Agronox posted:

If you mean Sein, he arrives and leaves prior to the first level exams.

Always thought that whole thing was kinda weird tbh, like the author wanted to introduce a new, permanent party member and then decided otherwise.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Eeepies posted:

I just want to see Denken animated

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mordja posted:

Always thought that whole thing was kinda weird tbh, like the author wanted to introduce a new, permanent party member and then decided otherwise.

I think it thematically fits the series for a companion to join, become emotionally close, and then leave.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

There also seems to be an implication that Sein will eventually return at some point. I think the last chapter we saw with him in it is something we're seeing here too. Even though he was a perfect fit for the party he still had his own goals/people he cared about that he needed to see through. Likewise im sure Himmel would love for a wiser/more compassionate frieren to chill with the party but shes now committed to her new group and their goals. Would be really surprised if we don't run into Sein again as the whole set up with his warrior friend seemed like it's gonna come into play later.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mordja posted:

I imagine the author just left some hooks for later arcs. I very much expect we'll see Sein at some point again. Maybe the winter cabin elf monk too.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Denken was a hook that paid off almost immediately.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 5, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Denken was a hook that paid of almost immediately.

A left hook.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I don't know if I want "Sein returns and becomes a fourth party member" or "Sein appears with Warrior Gorrilla and some random mage in tow as a part of his own adventuring party, chats with Frieren and co for a bit and then goes his own way with his own party, having their own adventures" more.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lt. Lizard posted:

I don't know if I want "Sein returns and becomes a fourth party member" or "Sein appears with Warrior Gorrilla and some random mage in tow as a part of his own adventuring party, chats with Frieren and co for a bit and then goes his own way with his own party, having their own adventures" more.

Same

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Sein joining to complete the old party composition seems like what would happen, but I'd be fine with them just meeting and parting tbh

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

Sein joining to complete the old party composition seems like what would happen, but I'd be fine with them just meeting and parting tbh

It wouldn't complete the old party composition. They don't have a hero. (Personally, I'm still pushing my unworkable crack-theory that they'll eventually encounter a demon they can't just kill for some reason and have to travel with Xellos-style that will perversely fill the Hero party slot.)

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

That's why they're going to heaven duh. Picking up Himmel for the postgame superboss fight. Xellos-type would be weird and cool and we'd get some real friction with Freiren

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I just bought the entire manga series to finally support the author. Do the mangas have retouched visuals? The images seem sharper and more in depth than the online version.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Donkringel posted:

I just bought the entire manga series to finally support the author. Do the mangas have retouched visuals? The images seem sharper and more in depth than the online version.

It happens occasionally. Authors will even sometimes go as far as taking some time off serialization and work on a volume release, be that bonus material, author comments stuff, or small revisions.

Here's an example from Sal Jiang's "Black and White":

Serialized release

Volume release

(I like the serialized version more :shrug:)

No idea if Frieren has any between the magazine release and the official volume release, I've never bothered to cross-reference and my memory is poo poo.

Frieren has an official release so this may not apply, but if you're reading on unofficial websites, those are often scanned from print magazines and cleaned up as best as possible. Cleaners can do a great job but you're ultimately still looking at this as source material:

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 7, 2023

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Refresh my memory, have we actually seen Heiter cast combat spells?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

wdarkk posted:

Refresh my memory, have we actually seen Heiter cast combat spells?

He does once in the flashback where they were kids.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
New one out on mangadex.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter

a dream that will never be :smith:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

drilldo squirt posted:

New one out on mangadex.

And the Viz app if you’re in the US

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
EMERGENCY

EMERGENCY

ALL HANDS ON DECK

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

that frieren/himmel half-handhold on the bed of blue-moon weed is an incredible piece of art

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Taking a few weeks off to properly draw how angry this is going to make Himmel.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Goddamn. I only expected this would be explored at the very climax of the series, but I am so excited to see this being addressed now, because it means the ending will be completely beyond my expectations. I'm 1000% back on board with this arc.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I really like Rivale so far, can't wait to see Stark get his revenge on him

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hmm...it's been 31 years since Himmel died. And that was 50 years after they defeated the Demon King. And that was a 10 year journey. Plenty of time to deal with Tod cursing the sun then!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It'll be a little awkward if Frieren goes back to the future pregnant.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hypocrisy posted:

Hmm...it's been 31 years since Himmel died. And that was 50 years after they defeated the Demon King. And that was a 10 year journey. Plenty of time to deal with Tod cursing the sun then!

His ultimate attack is Komm Susser Tod.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Scallop Eyes posted:

I really like Rivale so far, can't wait to see Stark get his revenge on him

Why do we think this would happen? Unless they fail to send Frieren back and time loop shenanigans ensue, we know Rivale never makes it to the future for Stark to take his revenge, don't we?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Tosk posted:

Why do we think this would happen? Unless they fail to send Frieren back and time loop shenanigans ensue, we know Rivale never makes it to the future for Stark to take his revenge, don't we?

Well Solitar was still alive in the present, and there's a flashback at one point where Frieren is telling Fern about the Great Demons and mentions Rivale and Tod specifically in the present tense. But admittedly both of those happened before Frieren went back in time and changed things.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I think I might have been making a continuity error and missed that. I imagined Rivale was one of the 7 Sages that the Hero of the South took out but he's probably alive then.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
It's not revenge for this moment, Rivale was the demon who attacked Stark's village when he was young (or at least it really looks like him).

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
The fact that we're seeing the illusion demons come full circle all the way back from Chapter 9 is so cool, and we all know how that went (even if, obviously, this is a way more sophisticated illusion).

https://i.imgur.com/qzrvqUT.mp4

On the one hand, I'd like to be able to live in this illusion for at least a little bit because I want to see a world where Frieren and Himmel get to be happy together, even for a little while. On the other hand, Himmel having a similarly strong internal understanding of Frieren that allows him to just instantly break out of this illusion would be an extremely good callback and reinforce just how well they actually understand each other. God, why do they have to go on break after all the coolest moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah...this is gonna end poorly for some folks