Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Bednar is another guy who's been there a while and did some good work but it looks like he's gone stale in Colorado and the players have tuned him out. Even good coaches usually have short shelf lives with one team.

please don’t filter other teams through your Mike Sullivan lens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hinostroza is the glue that will hold this penguins team together

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm on the Sharks bandwagon. Giving me nostalgia for those 93 Sens/Sharks teams

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

it is very funny to me how long nhl teams coveted travis hamonic when he was on the islanders, then he finally got traded and everyone realized he was actually bad the entire time

I think tbf he was probably good in NYI but his knee issues slowed him down so badly, that there isn't much difference between him and a bunch of other physical big defenceman in the ahl

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1720986064465056231?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1720986827987808732?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Say what you want about Sheldon Keefe, he’s always good for a quote

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I love how coaches/GMs will always make excuses for their lovely depth players but the moment a star player makes a defensive mistake they need to be Taught A Lesson

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Me 2 days ago: The Sabres are good again!

Me yesterday: hmmmmmmm
Me Today: The Sabres are good again!

To expand a little further.

Money Puck's definition:
The sum of the probabilities of unblocked shot attempts being goals. For example a rebound shot in the slot may be worth 0.5 expected goals, while a shot from the blueline while short handed may be worth 0.01 expected goals.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

Me Today: The Sabres are good again!

I hate to hand it to Mike Harrington, but he was ripping people on Twitter who were freaking out about the loss to the Flyers. They’ve won four of their last six including a shutout. Like yeah it sucks when they lose, especially since we all want them to make the playoffs, but in the bigger picture they’re improving a lot. If they win 2/3 of their remaining games they’ll be a 100 point team.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m glad that the Caps are winning games but it’s only against teams ranked 24th or lower in the standings…

yeah thanks to CBJ for making Tom Wilson look like a hockey player briefly

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Expected goals are what the guy who yells "shoot" on the powerplay did.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Mike Sullivan's essential contradiction is that his system is designed for young players (because it demands speed, which is all but synonymous with youth) but he hates young players.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I hate to hand it to Mike Harrington, but he was ripping people on Twitter who were freaking out about the loss to the Flyers. They’ve won four of their last six including a shutout. Like yeah it sucks when they lose, especially since we all want them to make the playoffs, but in the bigger picture they’re improving a lot. If they win 2/3 of their remaining games they’ll be a 100 point team.
Sabres may have won 4 of their last 6, but they also played like complete crap in 4 of the last 6. They kinda lucked into 2 more wins than they should have gotten, against the Sens and Flyers.

If they play like they did against the AVs and Leafs they’ll win a lot of games. But we’ve only seen them do that in 3 out of 12 games.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

Sabres may have won 4 of their last 6, but they also played like complete crap in 4 of the last 6. They kinda lucked into 2 more wins than they should have gotten, against the Sens and Flyers.

If they play like they did against the AVs and Leafs they’ll win a lot of games. But we’ve only seen them do that in 3 out of 12 games.

They were playing well in the Ottawa game until the final three minutes or so. UPL was playing well. The only game they didn’t outplay the opponent but still won was the Flyers game and UPL was the reason they were able to do it. They managed to keep that Devils game close in spite of everything.

Once the Sabres get consistently average goaltending it’s over for you bitches

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It's funny that the Shanahan looked at this team, thought, "Dubas has to go". Hired Treliving, who decided to make even worse moves. And this team continues to struggle and no one seems to know why.

The whole point of hiring Reaves was for him to be an answer for plays like Marchand/Liljgren. And instead the team has to spend a few days answering why no one responded to that. And also, continue to watch Reaves get absolutely caved in whenever he's on the ice.

A 36-year old enforcer got 3 years. 3 years! Still one of the most confusing signings this team has ever made.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mennoknight posted:

I too think Mangiapane should be suspended for the year, maybe for multiple years and his contract rescinded!!!!

Is that what you get for a Match penalty?

You really don’t see guys take such obvious ones very often. But I still bet he only gets 2 games. The real punishment is playing for Calgary for the rest of his contract.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Found the real reason the Oilers suck

https://twitter.com/inthedomepod/status/1721001800290169105?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Obviously horrible poo poo warning, but another player who was in the Blackhawks black aces group from 2010 is suing the team https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/blackhawks/ct-chicago-blackhawks-sexual-assault-lawsuit-20231105-hufp6svjebhzxfapuv6bqbgb3a-story.html

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I pay for ESPN+ which is normally fine since I live in San Francisco and my team is the Avs, but I actually have been getting an itch to watch the Sharks get blown out and laugh and every game is blacked out. This is historically bad, I wanna watch!

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

th3t00t posted:

Even if Levi lets in goals the team just plays better in front of him. Some sort of force

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

T-Bone posted:

Obviously horrible poo poo warning, but another player who was in the Blackhawks black aces group from 2010 is suing the team https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/blackhawks/ct-chicago-blackhawks-sexual-assault-lawsuit-20231105-hufp6svjebhzxfapuv6bqbgb3a-story.html

Sorry Chicago San Jose is really bad this year they won't rig the lottery for you again

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

T-Bone posted:

As punishment they get fined another $2mil and draft Macklin Celebrini

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

The canucks are a top team in the league after the last few weeks and Thinktank hasn't posted in the same amount of time :raise:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

The Dirty Burger posted:

As punishment they get fined another $2mil and draft Macklin Celebrini

I was thinking the league might fine the Sens again just to be on the safe side.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Has Vegas lost a game yet?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have 1 OT loss.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

coiol posted:

I’m a Leafs fan but I live in San Francisco and go to 1-2 Sharks games per year. My in-laws were visiting and we took them to their first ever hockey game today. The Sharks were not even remotely close to competitive at 5v5 today to the point that it looked like different leagues.

What happened to the Sharks roster? There was a grand total of 1 name that I recognized as a “good player” on the entire team (Hertl). They don’t seem to have any good players or any prospects on the team.
The Sharks roster is currently having to relive the principles taught in the story of the Exodus. Just as the generation of Israelites that lived in bondage had to perish in the desert to permit the people to flourish in a new age so must the generation of Sharks that had been assembled by Doug Wilson be winnowed to clear the way for the roster of the future.

quote:

What was the plan this year other than to lose 75 games, and how did the roster end up entirely barren?
The plan is actually to lose 82 games. If Quinn fails in this endeavor he will be fired.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Carver posted:

The canucks are a top team in the league after the last few weeks and Thinktank hasn't posted in the same amount of time :raise:

Pettersson will stay but also sign for $15 million a year and never repeat this performance

and a finger on the monkey's paw curls

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Carver posted:

ThinkTank's brain is only capable of complaining about his favourite team, the success has caused a massive aneurism and he is out indefinitely with an unnamed upperbody injury.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
No. Thinktank's existence is powered by the Canuck's horribleness. As they improve, he begins to fade out of existence. He will fade back in when they go on a 2-9-4 run in February to finish in 9th place.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 5, 2023

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

No chance the NHL allows a potential lawsuit to get to discovery, so lots of concessions and such are likely

Eight pages ago, but surely it can still be a relevant post.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Thinking about going to the Sharks game on wednesday, I heard it might be record breaking

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I kinda feel bad for Blackwood and Zetterlund.....

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They were playing well in the Ottawa game until the final three minutes or so. UPL was playing well. The only game they didn’t outplay the opponent but still won was the Flyers game and UPL was the reason they were able to do it. They managed to keep that Devils game close in spite of everything.

Once the Sabres get consistently average goaltending it’s over for you bitches
Ehh... I think they scored some lucky goals against the Sens (3 tipped goals in the first 2 periods, when this team basically never scores on tips) and mostly got outplayed the entire game, and then completely fell apart late in the 3rd.

Outplayed the devils at 5v5, but got grossly outclassed at every other strength.

I think they should send Krebs down to the Amerks. He's not contributing or gaining any development playing 6 minutes a night.

Ryjo should probably stay up.

Hopefully Hathaway punched some sense into Dylan Cozens and he wakes up the gently caress up once he's back. He's been the biggest disappointment so far this season.

And Dahlin seems to be quite a bit off too, despite piling up the points.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Something I just noticed perusing San Jose's roster, something Canucks can tell you is a very bad sign, is that the Sharks' top PP defenseman is apparently Kyle Burroughs. Burroughs doesn't have a point so far.

Bit of a falloff from Karlsson, there.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Mr. Kite posted:

No. Thinktank's existence is powered by the Canuck's horribleness. As they improve, he begins to fade out of existence. He will fade back in when they go on a 2-9-4 run on February to finish in 9th place.

they only play 13 games in february :)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/1721287003608658058

If we get him back by the end of this month that's a win.....

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

If they can manage to play .500 hockey with nico and jack both out I'll be happy.

it should be survivable in theory but not if they continue giving up 4 goals every single game

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

grack posted:

Something I just noticed perusing San Jose's roster, something Canucks can tell you is a very bad sign, is that the Sharks' top PP defenseman is apparently Kyle Burroughs. Burroughs doesn't have a point so far.

Bit of a falloff from Karlsson, there.

Burroughs played 4.3 minutes of power play time across two seasons… (of which I assume is entirely accidentally on the ice (4v4 turning into a pp) or during a blowout when your not actually trying to score..

Surely they could have claimed one of the many good offensive D’s but who are flawed defensively so they can atleast have a functioning power play. The Canucks example is Rathbone, but I imagine there’s close to one in every system who mostly would have had to clear waivers.

And it’s not like adding such a guy would make you win heaps more games and ruin you draft position - aforementioned defensive warts and all - but it might mean you lose more games 6-3 instead of 4-0. I can’t imagine ticket sales are going great right now.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1721315602810204570

I'm fairly of the opinion that crosschecking an opponents head into the ice, when they casually slide into you on accident, that the punishment should be roughly MORE THAN A SINGLE GAME. George Parros, get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I mean... He did eventually get the puck