Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

what a cool name for a band or a project or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That seems pretty on brand, nearly every Zelda game makes Link smaller than almost every adult humanoid and gives him goofy mannerisms and characterisation. So much makes sense having him be, at latest, a gawky teenager in waaaaay over his head.

The BotW games basically have Link as this young hyper-prodigy (IIRC it describes him as having defeated adult knights when he was like 5 years old or something) who just stays quiet all the time because he doesn't know any other way to live up to everyone's expectations.

It's a kind of interesting angle to have a Link who was strong from the start, rather than the more typical "normal boy answers the Hero's Call"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

smarxist posted:

what a cool name for a band or a project or something

And on the pedestal these words appear:
‘VULTURES RULE THE DESERT"
Nothing beside remains
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

smarxist posted:

that's a WRAP

it's OoT time :ohdear:

i have maybe ~3 hours in the game lifetime, i think the furthest i ever got was getting the horse maybe?

what's the best version of it i'm using RetroArch and i don't want to "fiddle" with things :(

Probably the 3ds version, especially if you can get the motion controls working

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Did you just play that game for 16 hours straight?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Personally I'm shocked he finished it lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Grapplejack posted:

Personally I'm shocked he finished it lol

this

but also grats. i thought it was a longer game than that lol

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

no lol, maybe like 4 hours tops in sessions, lttp isn't long at all

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
picked up and finished chants of sennaar over the weekend. it's one of those obra dinn/golden idol likes about deciphering language. it's rad if you like that genre of puzzle game (i do a lot and there aren't a ton of them)

now that there are three of these games we can give it a cringe genre name. detective simulators?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

smarxist posted:

what's the best version of it i'm using RetroArch and i don't want to "fiddle" with things :(
3DS version if you just want to load it up, better frame rate and resolution and some qol improvements. If you want to get into using a romhack, something like this with n64 rom: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5138/ there's also graphic upgrade romhacks. IIRC Retroarch also has upscaling options if you want to upscale it too

but i'd say just use the 3ds rom if yoiu don't have the n64 nostalgia glasses

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

play masters quest

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Mr Hootington posted:

would there be a problem if he had?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Xaris posted:

3DS version if you just want to load it up, better frame rate and resolution and some qol improvements. If you want to get into using a romhack, something like this with n64 rom: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5138/ there's also graphic upgrade romhacks. IIRC Retroarch also has upscaling options if you want to upscale it too

but i'd say just use the 3ds rom if yoiu don't have the n64 nostalgia glasses

Even with rose tinted glasses the 3ds version is so much better

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

thehoodie posted:

would there be a problem if he had?

we would be more proud of him, if he had

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I have picked up Peglin and it is very close to scratching the itch that Slay the Spire left once I had a20 heart kills on every character, which is to say peggle goblins is a very good game

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Popy posted:

play masters quest
MQ is good but I consider it's more an NG+ mode, not something to start off with.you'll appreciate the remixes after a regular run-through

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
drat, fatal frame does not gently caress around on the final night, it's actually kinda annoying with the ghosts now throwing you poo poo, might skip straight to the sequel instead

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
torrent files sorted by release# so you gotta go schlepp to a loving scene website because why on god's green earth would you be able to search a torrent list of files and surely you want to start downloading all 800 gigs right!?

:downs:

edit:

hmm. the main game area is kind of small in this set up oh god am i going to rotate a monitor 90 degrees

smarxist has issued a correction as of 00:12 on Nov 6, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
just wrapped up EVERSPACE 2. it was pretty good, I liked the main plot line overall, the writing was sometimes pretty funny, sometimes bad, but overall enjoyable enough that it didn't detract

as someone who has found most post-space games since Starlancer/Freelancer/Freespace 2 to be pretty loving bad (with an occasional few exceptions like Darkstar One), it was a pleasant surprise to play a reasonably solid one. There's some space-trucking but kinda small, the ship parts were a bit weak, I don't think the schlooter-looter was quite variable enough. You do kinda see most everything there is to see in the first 8 hours but I still had fun dicking around space shooting stuff and solving space puzzles

ship combat is like 5000x better than starfield's space combat which was horribly boring, i think overall that's the highlight of the game.

anyways its free on Game Pass if you want to play a sort of new-Freelancer-like game.

if you do play it, Flak Cannons + Tethering yourself to asteroids slingshotting ftw

e: if I had to give it a ranking, by the very low bar set by most mediocre space games I’d give it like 8-8.5. by all games standard probably around 7-7.5

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Nov 6, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
onto JUSANT now

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh derp, there's settings buried somewhere

retroarch is cool

okay h-here... here we fuckin' gooo (this is going to take an embarrassing amount of time, because i will NOT cheat)

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

DaysBefore posted:

Is Shadows of Doubt any good? Detective stuff is cool but it's all procgen so I dunno, feels like it'd get very reptitive quick

A dude got murdered so I went to his workplace and was talking to one of the guys standing at the front of the office but then quitting time rolled around and he immediately pulled a gun and shot me while security shutters rolled down and alarms blared.

I guess that makes the guy I was talking to sound awesome, but it sure made the game loving suck.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shyrka posted:

A dude got murdered so I went to his workplace and was talking to one of the guys standing at the front of the office but then quitting time rolled around and he immediately pulled a gun and shot me while security shutters rolled down and alarms blared.

I guess that makes the guy I was talking to sound awesome, but it sure made the game loving suck.

rules are rules

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shyrka posted:

the perfect crime

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Overtime has to be approved by the union and we don't tolerate scabs around here, fucko.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it only took about 25 minutes of dickin' around to find the god damned sword

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

smarxist posted:

it only took about 25 minutes of dickin' around to find the god damned sword

looking forward to the water temple melty

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the milk machine posted:

*after throwing a chunk of concrete with her mind* wow, that just happened.... i guess i ahve powers that i can Control now.........

Lol this is literally plot and dialog from Forspoken

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Woman is the Goomba of the World

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Shyrka posted:

5pm meams 5pm, dude has that Fred Flinstone mindset and I respect it

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Sharps posted:

i've heard tales...

this emulator is surprisingly badass, i'm using Citra, the bottom screen can be toggled back and forth, you can also just click on poo poo with the mouse whether its rendered down there or on the main area, really impressed with it

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol this is literally plot and dialog from Forspoken

i remember the psychic damamge from watching a trailer for that so that's probably where i manifested it from

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

i remember switching over from zSNES to RetroArch and it was like, oh, emulators have in fact come a long way since 1998

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

lmfao

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
any female goomba born after 1993 can’t move left or right… all they know is mcbowsers , charge at mario bros, twerk, bother koopa troopa , eat fire flower & lie

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Mr. Sharps posted:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tutorial dungeon down :toot:

i'm honestly kinda speechless at how good the bones of this game are. between Mario 64 and what I'm seeing in this game, the aplomb that they dove into 3D movement, different actions, and CONTEXT SENSITIVE CONTROLS this early in the 3D game is astounding, did the library of alexandria burn down during the growing pain years of 3D or what?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ocarina of time is still my favorite dark souls game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Bright Memory Infinite is my favorite Dark Souls