Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nvidia cards being flaky under Linux is a tale as old as time.

Wayland at this point is generally more stable and better maintained, binary-only proprietary crap notwithstanding. Performance increases are real, due to the architecture, but you might not notice unless you're looking for it.

Like, at this point, you should only be using X if there's some special need (such as you bought a video card from Satan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

cruft posted:

Nvidia cards being flaky under Linux is a tale as old as time.

Wayland at this point is generally more stable and better maintained, binary-only proprietary crap notwithstanding. Performance increases are real, due to the architecture, but you might not notice unless you're looking for it.

Like, at this point, you should only be using X if there's some special need (such as you bought a video card from Satan).

Hail Satan.

Nvidia's long-standing dominance in gaming is the only thing that makes this a complicating factor for me. I run dual-boots with Windows primarily for gaming, and it's just been hard to beat the value for gaming that Nvidia represents.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

atomicpile posted:

I tried KDE + Wayland + nvidia (4090) today. Works fine but computer is non-functional after waking up from sleep.

This concludes my semi-annual Wayland test. Nvidia Still Broken.

I have an older AMD card and Wayland under Fedora 38 will gently caress up waking from hibernate just about every time.

I still use it because Waydroid, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Eh, at the moment AMD gets you more "normal" performance but worse raytracing and upscaling at the same price, roughly speaking. I recently got a 7800 XT as a gift, and both that and the 6700 XT I upgraded from are solid, capable cards. Spending the same amount of money with nvidia would be better in some games and worse in others - they are the default choice, but not clearly better value for your money.

Now, if you want to really take a gamble to support a competitive GPU market, there's always Intel Arc.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's been "eventually" for the last 15 years, however in the last ~18 months it feels like it's suddenly hitting the point of critical mass and maturity that 'eventually' now actually feels like a actual point in time and not an abstract concept. Personally I mostly interact with my linux PC over xRDP and the lack of a good RDP solution for wayland is what has so far kept me on x11. However KDE are working on a rdp server so there's now an actual route to me making the switch.

I'll have to keep an eye on this, thanks. I use xrdp constantly and have been wondering if there's a Wayland equivalent.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Hail Satan.

Nvidia's long-standing dominance in gaming is the only thing that makes this a complicating factor for me. I run dual-boots with Windows primarily for gaming, and it's just been hard to beat the value for gaming that Nvidia represents.

I play games using Proton. Windows is only necessary for a handful of broken things like Street Fighter 6 online in my case. Most other recent games run flawlessly, no tweaks. Old ones, too.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
oh yeah every time I try to give Wayland a look I remember it has (had?) problems with display link which I need for my setup

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Computer viking posted:

Eh, at the moment AMD gets you more "normal" performance but worse raytracing and upscaling at the same price, roughly speaking. I recently got a 7800 XT as a gift, and both that and the 6700 XT I upgraded from are solid, capable cards. Spending the same amount of money with nvidia would be better in some games and worse in others - they are the default choice, but not clearly better value for your money.

Now, if you want to really take a gamble to support a competitive GPU market, there's always Intel Arc.

I already own a 3080 12GB and a 2070 Super, and for the games I play the majority really benefit from raytracing and upscaling. I heavily favor AMD CPUs, but I've been locked in with Nvidia GPUs for years and years now.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I already own a 3080 12GB and a 2070 Super, and for the games I play the majority really benefit from raytracing and upscaling. I heavily favor AMD CPUs, but I've been locked in with Nvidia GPUs for years and years now.

That makes sense. Amd has gotten better at both, but they're still worse - and I guess you don't feel any huge pressure to replace that 3080.

I think what I'm trying to say is that Radeon cards are actually fine now - you make some tradeoffs, but it's not like trying to use AMD CPUs during the bulldozer era.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The main benefit for me is atleast with an AMD card in Wayland is I get working VRR out of the box with multiple monitor set up.

AMD and Nvidia upscaling were pretty comparable but the newest version of DLSS has leap frogged AMD. AMD have pushed out for 3.0 and it shows promise but needs more time in the oven.

As much as ray tracing is nice to look at, I'd rather a pain free user experience so unless the Nvidia OSS drivers catch up I'll will be sticking with AMD.

spiritual bypass posted:

I play games using Proton. Windows is only necessary for a handful of broken things like Street Fighter 6 online in my case. Most other recent games run flawlessly, no tweaks. Old ones, too.

Sf6 online works atm. Had a few days after the Rashid update where it would crash after a few games but proton experimental fixed that pretty quickly. Besides that week it's been no issues for me.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 6, 2023

zhar
May 3, 2019

My experience in general with nvidia + linux has been painful and I wouldn't recommend, but nvidia released this beta driver just last week that has a bunch of wayland fixes / improvements including "Fixed a bug that prevented VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) from working with Wayland " and supporting gamma change (night light features) so at least progress is being made with the proprietary drivers. The fact that these basic features are still is the new feature branch suggests it's not there yet though so I'm going to be waiting to upgrade. If I was having issues with x11 I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go though.

I installed the kde desktop group on fedora to try and if I drop out to the display manager there is an option to launch plasma in x11 or wayland mode so it wouldn't be hard (I use lightdm but I assume this isn't exotic functionality).

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
there's also Interesting Stuff going on with open source nvidia drivers, but probably a few years off from being good enough to compare with the amd oss drivers

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A linux rookie with a startup question:

I'm trying out Fedora 38 in a VM. When I start VM, I want the postgres service to start. I need to run the command, as the user postgres, "pg_ctl start".

Where do I stick that command, and is it possible to ensure it runs as that user at start? Or is there a better way to approach that?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

A linux rookie with a startup question:

I'm trying out Fedora 38 in a VM. When I start VM, I want the postgres service to start. I need to run the command, as the user postgres, "pg_ctl start".

Where do I stick that command, and is it possible to ensure it runs as that user at start? Or is there a better way to approach that?

Generally services pre-packaged by your distribution come out of the box with systemd integration, you can just run systemctl enable postgresql.service. (And systemctl start postgresql.service to start it now without rebooting.)

M31
Jun 12, 2012
Depending on your usage you could try switching to the igpu for linux desktop (and maybe save some electricity as well).

I haven't had any Wayland specific issues on Nvidia for some time though, but that sure has a lot of variables.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

pseudorandom name posted:

Generally services pre-packaged by your distribution come out of the box with systemd integration, you can just run systemctl enable postgresql.service. (And systemctl start postgresql.service to start it now without rebooting.)

systemctl enable --now postgresql

:smuggo:

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Did my first Fedora upgrade yesterday (38->39). Kinda as bumpy as I expected it. I'm running the KDE version, login suddenly takes 10 seconds, then it throws me back to the login-manager after 30 secs. Then my monitor switches off. Cool. Nuked everything in .config that relates to KDE/Plasma, let's see how it goes. Otherwise I'm switching to Ubuntu LTS next year.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Mine worked flawlessly :shrug:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mine worked fine. Sunshine apparently didn't have a F39 build so that's a bit of a bummer. But other than that it's working fine.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I was gonna argue I had horrible experience with Ubuntu upgrades back in the day but it's honestly been so long since I used Ubuntu it could just be Linux upgrades across all distros have significantly improved.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

busalover posted:

Did my first Fedora upgrade yesterday (38->39). Kinda as bumpy as I expected it. I'm running the KDE version

How did you do the upgrade, with dnf or with KDE Discover?

Feels like that's probably more serious than just stuff in .config being messed up, and you will need to re-do the upgrade.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Klyith posted:

How did you do the upgrade, with dnf or with KDE Discover?

Feels like that's probably more serious than just stuff in .config being messed up, and you will need to re-do the upgrade.

dnf. There's no way to upgrade with discover. at least I didn't see one and google said no.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Did you follow the directions for upgrading Fedora via terminal?

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/upgrading-fedora-offline/

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I've been upgrading from one fedora edition to the next (usually in alpha/beta stages but not always) for about a decade now, never had an issue.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Nitrousoxide posted:

Did you follow the directions for upgrading Fedora via terminal?

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/upgrading-fedora-offline/

yes, I followed that outline.

my guess is the kde version is less tested than the official gnome one. worst case scenario I install gnome.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

A fate worse than death

zhar
May 3, 2019

My upgrade wasn't smooth either, nvidia strikes again. In fact I have a couple of questions:

When I upgraded to 38 I booted into a blank screen and ended up having to reinstall nvidia drivers before I could get graphics past grub menu. This happened again on the upgrade to 39. Anyone have any idea of what might be happening here?

When I login to plasma x11 the kde stuff (fonts, icons, notifications etc) is all comically large on my monitor. The text in non-kde apps is fine (eg text in firefox) and there is no issue with i3 (x11) or wayland plasma. display settings look ok. I'm suspecting nvidia once again but ???

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ahh yeah honestly because of the whole fedora licensing issue, as much as I like it as a distro, I'd not use it if I was on Nvidia.
Your completely reliant on rpmfusion for the proprietry drivers and I don't know if the fedora team check that kind of stuff when testing upgrades.

Why they don't just move their servers to a different country to get around it I don't know.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Why they don't just move their servers to a different country to get around it I don't know.

Probably the same reason Google doesn't move their YouTube servers to Sealand, offer MP3 downloads of every album, and tell the RIAA "nyah nyah, those aren't US servers!"

zhar
May 3, 2019

If I were to change distro is there anything equivalent to fedora in terms of the release schedule (more stable than arch, but not so slow as debian), a decent package manager, not too much janitoring and a decent volume of results for internet searching "how to x"?

I'm thinking maybe return to ubuntu but I've heard bad things about canonical. No idea how much this is Stallman-esque OSS zealotry though as I never paid attention to the details. Or maybe try out a more user friendly arch like manjaro.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

zhar posted:

If I were to change distro is there anything equivalent to fedora in terms of the release schedule (more stable than arch, but not so slow as debian), a decent package manager, not too much janitoring and a decent volume of results for internet searching "how to x"?

I'm thinking maybe return to ubuntu but I've heard bad things about canonical. No idea how much this is Stallman-esque OSS zealotry though as I never paid attention to the details. Or maybe try out a more user friendly arch like manjaro.

I liked Manjaro.

I have a lot of opinions about Canonical, many of them "inside baseball" type things that regular users probably won't care about. Ubuntu is okay, though lately they're showing signs that they're struggling to find a sustainable revenue stream.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

zhar posted:

You might try Suse, I was trying it out again recently. But, I decided that Yast still feels wrong to me.
Manjaro is actually a bit less stable then arch, because the package updates are a bit out of sync to the AUR and kernel updates. But I do like it otherwise.

Also they dropped (non dkms)zfs support recently with only the small print of the update announcement as warning. Especially annoying as they were one of the few distros that had zfs support enabled on their live-sticks.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Iirc Suse switches to a different release cycle next year, better check that out.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
^^ edit: is Suse a lot better than Fedora for the Nvidia situation? Still seems to be adding extra repos and the not-officially-supported problem.

zhar posted:

PopOS does nvidia drivers, and their laptops run nvidia GPUs so they're probably the distro with the most incentive to test nvidia before shipping. It's not as fast to update as Fedora for whole-system stuff, but the kernel is rolling.

I use Manjaro. I'm not unhappy with it -- I still haven't bothered to switch to something else -- but I struggle to really recommend it. OTOH I'm also not so negative about Manjaro that I'd tell people to avoid it.

Upside: they have somewhat bigger repos than Arch so you're not as reliant on AUR
Downside: if you *do* need something from AUR, it's less friendly than Arch. everyone on AUR hates Manjaro
Upside: they bundle up releases into "stable" updates
Downside: the idea that they really do any testing is a joke, if something is broken on Arch it'll probably be broken on Manjaro
Upside: they have active forums and when poo poo breaks you can probably find a thread about it with possible fixes
Downside: its a pretty crappy community

I think EndeavourOS is a better way to do "user-friendly arch" -- it gives you a nice installer that I think defaults to a btrfs root with rollback, and good out-of-box config, and after that it's pretty much just Arch.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 8, 2023

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

zhar posted:

When I upgraded to 38 I booted into a blank screen and ended up having to reinstall nvidia drivers before I could get graphics past grub menu. This happened again on the upgrade to 39. Anyone have any idea of what might be happening here?

Almost any time the nvidia driver is installed there are kernel command line options added to blacklist the opensource nouveau driver. So if you install a new kernel such as during a version bump but no longer have a compatible nvidia module then there is no available display driver when running the new kernel.

I haven't done it in a while but the "easy" thing to do used to be to uninstall the nvidia rpmfusion packages and reboot before the upgrade. Then you are doing the upgrade with nouveau and a "stock" system and can reinstall rpmfusion packages after the upgrade completes.

Or just dont use nvidia (lol?)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what we have to do, we got a handful of GPU workers in my org and every time we update the kernel the procedure is completely remove all nvidia software and reinstall after reboot.

It's loving absurd but scientists want that GPU number crunching so we're stuck with it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

That's what we have to do, we got a handful of GPU workers in my org and every time we update the kernel the procedure is completely remove all nvidia software and reinstall after reboot.

It's loving absurd but scientists want that GPU number crunching so we're stuck with it.

On the machines that aren't rebuilt on every system upgrade, we have to do the same thing.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
me?? I use nixos

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

ziasquinn posted:

me?? I use nixos

How is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vavrek posted:

How is it?

How much do you like rebooting?