Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
that's... basically a turbo shy of probably the best method to win hospital high-score.

it's kind of brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I find this youtube channel mostly unwatchable, but I watched their snow Hayabusa video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5EyGA3WyYU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Also what better to drive a belt than a Harley

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

These things are so incredibly Italian compared to what Honda make today

Incredible to ride, garbage to work on

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So what electrical gizmo was hiding behind which wetted coolant lines that required you to pull which engine parts to remove to prompt that?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

These things are so incredibly Italian compared to what Honda make today

Incredible to ride, garbage to work on

Now Honda is medicore to ride, garbage to work on

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

So what electrical gizmo was hiding behind which wetted coolant lines that required you to pull which engine parts to remove to prompt that?

It's a clutch replacement that requires a special tool and a replacement single use castle nut

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

thinking about it a bit. i don’t think i’ve ever worked on a bike that had the clutch basket and stator on the same side.

kinda neat to see it setup that way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Before I saw the baling wire I thought that Honda had made a bike with hinged engine side covers.

My thought was "yeah, that seems like something they'd have tried."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll try to remember to take a picture next time but if you look in that hole you can see the crankshaft right there (there is actually a warning about not accidentally hitting it when you're taking the clutch housing out) and you can also see the first of the gear driven cam jackshafts just above it. Phenomenal amount of wasted space compared to a modem engine, they could make it considerably smaller if they wanted to today.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This stupid little thing is so obnoxiously fun. It just begs you to do hooligan poo poo. Legit had more fun bombing around for a couple hours this afternoon than I have recently on my bikes with 10x + the hp.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fast on slow bikes is much funner than slow on fast bikes

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
The fourth gear sweet spot on my 400 is right around 40mph, and damned if I don't rip through the preceding three gears like I'm chasing a podium at every stop light.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

opengl posted:

This stupid little thing is so obnoxiously fun. It just begs you to do hooligan poo poo. Legit had more fun bombing around for a couple hours this afternoon than I have recently on my bikes with 10x + the hp.

Tiny bikes rule

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Mr Lanternfly posted:

The fourth gear sweet spot on my 400 is right around 40mph, and damned if I don't rip through the preceding three gears like I'm chasing a podium at every stop light.

:same:

I love shifting. And riding and sounding like John Connor being chased by a T-1000.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I already posted this in the slack, but I think this deserves the additional visibility, though this would be relevant in several threads:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mcy/7684440025.html (The guy keeps deleting and reposting the listing, so may be down)

Just trying to imagine how something like this would handle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Track wider than wheelbase? I'm sure it's fine

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

well… i’ve ridden a Ural and that does the thing where it pulls one way on accel and pulls the other way on decel. At least Ural knows about that and tweaks the design to minimize it.

so assume that but the affect is larger

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
any sidecar does that, so yeah it's gonna be super pronounced on that Vespa rig. you'll get a crazy forearm pump trying to get that thing to turn, assuming the front tire doesn't just give up

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
bike clip from the OSHA thread again

https://i.imgur.com/eZhNama.mp4

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How can it be so calm :psyduck:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I know that riding in nice weather usually makes me feel content and happy, why would a cow feel different?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's the cow that drives.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

It's the cow that drives.

IF YOU CAN
READ THIS
THE COWHERD
FELL OFF

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What I want to know is how do you load a 1000+ pound animal who doesn’t understand how a motorcycle works onto a motorcycle?

It can be hard to get a human passenger onto a bike sometimes :psypop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also there’s a ground beef joke in there somewhere

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What I want to know is how do you load a 1000+ pound animal who doesn’t understand how a motorcycle works onto a motorcycle?

It can be hard to get a human passenger onto a bike sometimes :psypop:

I'd imagine one method is to start em young

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Speed beef

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

How can it be so calm :psyduck:

Cows are generally super chill and friendly.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A wise man once asked me, "What do you do if yer dog don't pull?" To his approval I replied, "Ye pulls yer dog."

I guess it applies to cattle and motorcycles too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A thing we’re overlooking is that bike seems to be maybe a 125cc single that is putting in WORK

drat

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I never did get around to posting pics from the Salmon Arm bike museum, but if you want to see some stuff they have there, check out Ryan Fortnine's latest video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpY-r662EKs

(and their photography is better anyway)

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 18, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVMa3oWIvys

:wth:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
having lived in the US my whole life it is difficult to wrap my head around major metropolitan areas with pavement good enough to be considered "safe" for any sort of GP race

would've binned it in a pothole or hitting a manhole cover sticking 3" up from the rest of the tarmac by the 2nd turn over here

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
There was a supermoto race in Reno NV back in 2004/2005 but it makes more sense with dirtbike suspension. Really fun race only the last shot is mine the rest are from the press kit.

bobbert fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 21, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

bobbert posted:

There was a supermoto race in Reno NV back in 2004/2005 but it makes more sense with dirtbike suspension. Really fun race only the last shot is mine the rest are from the press kit.

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo.
I've had this suit going on like 12 years.

I didn't know its origins and thought it was a factory replica done up by astars for redbull/ktm.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

drat

The corner at 1:44 stressed me out, they all stressed me out but that one really did

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo.
I've had this suit going on like 12 years.

I didn't know its origins and thought it was a factory replica done up by astars for redbull/ktm.

Man small world and cool leathers. Looks like he was 40 when he ran the race and won it. Hes on the podium but not in the same suit in more of a dirtbike gear setup.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
He has a jersey on over it from what I can tell.

It's such an odd suit. External back protector. kevlar stitching and reinforcement panels.
Owns, thanks for posting this. I always wondered where it came from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe
Thats awesome the pants looked like fabric in the pic, but they are not. Its cool it has the official Redbull logos and and stuff for that time.