Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

SkeletonHero posted:

Here. Comes. Cults!

It's trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Diabetic posted:

It's trauma.

I keep hearing/reading this as "It's SHOWTIME!" from the Beetlejuice cartoon.

Dammit, now I'm gonna watch a few episodes again...big nostalgia show for me. :allears:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Read After Burning posted:

I keep hearing/reading this as "It's SHOWTIME!" from the Beetlejuice cartoon.

Dammit, now I'm gonna watch a few episodes again...big nostalgia show for me. :allears:

It was nice we had some spooky shows as kids, like that and the Adams Family cartoon. It was a nice feeling finding out Claire's original VA was Lydia!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

iiiiiiiit's trauma! :jazzhands:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I wish more would try to crib from Inscryption tbh

That would probably require significant effort.

This is not to say it's not happening as we speak, but you were never going to see, like, the immediate landslide of 'what if you were stuck in a looping hallway' that PT triggered

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

This is not to say it's not happening as we speak, but you were never going to see, like, the immediate landslide of 'what if you were stuck in a looping hallway' that PT triggered

PT also had the allure of being an unfulfilled promise. It was just a concept demo after all, not a complete game. So there was a real gold rush to try to be the first post-PT hallway horror walking sim.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mycot posted:

There's that Garten of Baban game that became a huge viral meme from the zoomer horror people making fun of it. But that's like one lucky case.

The most horrifying thing about Garten of Banban is how badly made the models are. :yikes:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I think this is also the reason why PS1 graphics are so popular for horror games these days. Its a lot easier to make models for PS1 games.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think this is also the reason why PS1 graphics are so popular for horror games these days. Its a lot easier to make models for PS1 games.

Theres also the aesthetic. You can make some really nasty looking things and your mind will fill the gaps

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Honestly, Silent Hill is the worst franchise to try something like Ascension on. Psychological horror doesn't lend itself well to community input at all. Something like Fatal Frame might have worked better, if the premise was about some dipshit paranormal loving students getting trapped and lost in a haunted location and the community vote on what each character does to avoid the spooky curse. In the lens of Silent Hill though, it just becomes a parody of what Silent Hill actually is meant to be.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Honestly, Silent Hill is the worst franchise to try something like Ascension on. Psychological horror doesn't lend itself well to community input at all. Something like Fatal Frame might have worked better, if the premise was about some dipshit paranormal loving students getting trapped and lost in a haunted location and the community vote on what each character does to avoid the spooky curse. In the lens of Silent Hill though, it just becomes a parody of what Silent Hill actually is meant to be.

Someone else mentioned it earlier, too, that Fatal Frame lends its self really well to the entire premise of including a community or fan input thing. Make the main character a streamer or an idol or something and pretend like the chat they're reacting to is the community chat, and have them bumble through ghosts and try to solve the mystery of this weird rear end ritual curse poo poo.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Are the "later parts" of Inscryption still good? Twice I've started played it and both times after escaping the "first part" and going 2D I've bounced off

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Are the "later parts" of Inscryption still good? Twice I've started played it and both times after escaping the "first part" and going 2D I've bounced off

The first third is overwhelmingly the best part imo, the third section brings back the 3D visuals and a single playstyle but the robot deck feels really undeveloped compared to the animals so the experience is kinda lacking.

If you just like the first part there's a free mini-expansion that takes it and makes it a much more robust and challenging deckbuilder roguelike

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Someone else mentioned it earlier, too, that Fatal Frame lends its self really well to the entire premise of including a community or fan input thing. Make the main character a streamer or an idol or something and pretend like the chat they're reacting to is the community chat, and have them bumble through ghosts and try to solve the mystery of this weird rear end ritual curse poo poo.

Exactly. Like, Ascension isn't really a bad premise and could be pretty fun, it's just attached to the completely wrong IP.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It’s good, but if you don’t have any nostalgia for games like the Game Boy Pokémon TCG, it might be hard to wade through the middle section to get to where the robot takes over the game like Lethy did and the finale afterwards.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
theres one jp indie horror game called Playable Mockup that's funny to me cause it's a game that directly copies the idea of the pt hallway except, instead of a walking sim it's a deckbuilding game where you're a spirit detective trying to investigate murders by taking photos of portraits inside the hallway before a witch finds you and kills you

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
In retrospect, Inscryption starts strong and ends strong and that lets me forgive quite a lot about the messy and drawn-out middle bits. Specifically, I enjoyed the finale, when the game is shutting down/deleting itself and each of the characters take their turn to try to entertain/duel you in their last moments so they can fulfill their purpose, enough that I’ll forever look upon the game fondly as a well-done indie horror thing.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 6, 2023

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I remember getting pissed off that the first third was only the first third. I should go back and try to get through it again.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Inscryption owns. one of my favs for sure

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I remember getting pissed off that the first third was only the first third. I should go back and try to get through it again.

This was a pretty common complaint about the game at the time. The thing about Daniel Mullins as a developer is that his other games aren't actually very good as games and what people tend to like about them is the narrative/meta side. With Inscryption though he managed to stumble into a really interesting deckbuilder roguelike/escape room hybrid thing and when the game eventually gets into the usual meta stuff there's a big feeling of having wasted a perfectly good gameplay premise. I still like it and I agree with the previous post that the very end of the game is really strong, but I can understand why there was so much demand for Kaycees mod.

I actually think the second act is pretty fun too but it's not as well balanced so it can be a bit of a slog to get through if you just don't have the cards to make a good deck (don't start with mages), or just keep drawing high cost cards you can't actually play in your starting hand. It would probably be improved a lot if it had its own version of a "squirrel deck" where you can just load it up with the basic tier cards from each deck type.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 6, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

On that note, Superhot would have been a brilliant game if it wasn't straitjacketed by the wretched plot. It killed my appetite for any game that has a "meta" element.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the superhot plot ftw

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Does Superhot's plot even count as meta, it's just about an in universe video game but I don't think it does the thing where it implies YOU, THE PLAYER are playing the game that (spoilers!) kills you and turns you into a phising bot

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didnt mind superhot's plot

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I was too busy shootin chumps to realize superhot had a plot

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the superhot plot is mostly hypnosis erotica attached to a shooting game

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Superhot in VR has impressed a primal joy in every person I've successfully gotten to try it

Game owns

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Buck Wildman posted:

I was too busy shootin chumps to realize superhot had a plot

The plot was pretty invasive, lots of slow cutscenes that killed the momentum.

But eventually you unlock the survival mode levels and can just play those forever.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Superhot VR is such an incredible experience and such an amazing demonstration of roomscale VR

Actually ducking to dodge bullets and physically reaching out to grab midair guns, it's amazing

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

On that note, Superhot would have been a brilliant game if it wasn't straitjacketed by the wretched plot. It killed my appetite for any game that has a "meta" element.

This is basically how I feel about any game with meta plots and or elements. very few writers or devs can pull it off in a way that doesn't get really tiresome and after the first like three indie games you play where the gimmick is "oh wow isn't it spooky we can look at your computer's files to know the username, and also the game crashes and edits its own files sometimes" it stops being particularly clever and instead becomes a game you have to restart like two or three times a session.

Most games, however, just have the characters turn to the camera and openly acknowledge they're in a video game, and that will always be the bottom of the barrel for that kind of commentary. I think I'll just die if I play one more JRPG where the characters enter a big room in a dungeon and start talking about how it looks like there's a boss fight coming up or something.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The odd joke never hurt. So long as its not a habit. Metal Gear works because when the Colonel tells you to press the action button, it's meant as a straight order despite not making sense in-universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zigTx34rpsw

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 7, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

How did the plot offend you so much lol.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nuebot posted:

Most games, however, just have the characters turn to the camera and openly acknowledge they're in a video game, and that will always be the bottom of the barrel for that kind of commentary. I think I'll just die if I play one more JRPG where the characters enter a big room in a dungeon and start talking about how it looks like there's a boss fight coming up or something.

not sure which ones you're playing if they're not the ones that make breaking the fourth wall a franchise identity

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The odd joke never hurt. So long as its not a habit. Metal Gear works because when the Colonel tells you to press the action button, it's meant as a straight order despite not making sense in-universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zigTx34rpsw

I think the problem with a lot of games going "meta" is that they aren't really trying to make any larger point about the relationship between author and audience (or game and player) with it, and just going for "whoa that's freaky!". MGS at least turned it into a clever little puzzle with the Psycho Mantis fight, and one-off jokes like the clip from EW2 above are also fine (particularly since you have to go way out of your way to actually see that cutscene - it basically involves running all the way back to the start of the game, from near the end, instead of just walking into the next room). But when your entire plot revolves around being meta, there should be some reason for it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
its fine if you have an actual joke to tell or something interesting to do with it but if it just feels like you're winking at the camera so people don't think you're taking yourself too seriously or because you found out about some specific meta thing you can do and didn't think much past that basic gimmick it's lame. i dont think superhot falls under much of that though the story cutscenes in it dont really take that long to get through and it mostly feels like it's there to add to the game's weird mood

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

A game that logs into your something awful account and posts like a normie. Scared yet, nerds?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I blame Matt Hazard

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watching supergreatfriend stream stray souls. why does this game open with you picking up your socks from your kitchen floor while the main character complains about how no girl will date him

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I would note, and I say this being the farthest thing from a weeb, that different cultural contexts produce different expectations about tone and "immersion" in narrative art. A lot of places, including some in east Asia, don't share western sensibilities and demands for tonal identity or consistency within a work; this includes demand for necessary distance between serious drama, comedy (including broad, lowbrow varieties), and extreme melodrama, but also the modernist notion of narrative requiring strict ignorance of its audience or the fact that it's all fake.

See also: The old viral clips of Korean TV show in which a romantically charged lovers' meeting is immediately followed by one of the characters being obliterated by a speeding car. A lot of people feel some discomfort with the tonal swings of Bon Joon-Ho movies, etc. Even within the US you have stuff like the Chitlin Circuit stylings of Tyler Perry movies, which are absolutely unhinged by the standards of mainstream screenwriting. The secret is: the people who made it don't consider it a failure if you think they're making the wrong choices. It wants you as an audience, but it is what it is even if you reject it.

Hideo Kojima has also always been someone who, like Sam Barlow, is interested in design which challenges player expectation on the level of form. He famously made Metal Gear explicitly because everyone else was making games built principally on gunplay, and he wanted to try something different. As much as Kojima is second only to David Cage in the "guy who clearly would've rather been a film director" vibes competition, as much as he slaps his name on the intro to every mission in MGS5 and constantly indulges in peoples' willingness to treat him like a Kubrick-style auteur from which all invention flows, he's not afraid of trying to convince people that there's actual value in art which doesn't constantly ingratiate itself to what his audience expects from games. He's in a rare position where he can get away with making things that are starkly unfamiliar at very lavish price points, and he doesn't take that for granted. He's willing to put out QWERTY-derived cargo hauling game concepts and dare people to try it. He's annoying and his fans are annoying but by God, he's throwing hail mary passes. The nation salutes you.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my counterpoint to the idea kojima hates making games and would rather just be a film director is the fact that the one good part of policenauts is an extended loony tunes joke sequence where you keep dying and restarting from a checkpoint while your two dudes keep getting increasingly frustrated at their failure to disarm a bomb because of a series of minor errors and one obviously evil guy purposefully bullshitting them two hours earlier about what wire he'd use as the detonator for a bomb

also idk i'm gonna be real the type of jrpg joke being mentioned is like. something i only see done that blatantly in games selling themselves on that kind of humor. that's a low tier disgaea joke or something, lazy jokes aren't a cultural difference

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 7, 2023