Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I made a farro thing, modified from my cookbook. it actually turned out REALLY tasty!

what I did (remember I'm new to all this and lazy)

simmer 1.5 cups of farro and 3.5 cups of veggie broth (and some salt/pepper) in a saucepan for about 25 minutes (I think 25-30 is good to get it nice and tender)

chop up onions and some vegetable (I used zucchini, but mushrooms was in the original recipe)

heat 2 tbps olive oil in dutch oven. add onions and vegetables

after brown add three cloves garlic (until fragrant)

add in 14 oz diced tomatoes, chopped and drained

simmer that until it's nice and tasty

then just combine that and the farro together

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I made a bolognese for a lasagna and I gotta say: not only is lasagna time consuming as hell, it's expensive to "do it right".

next time I'm just gonna do a basic ground beef meat sauce and call it good.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah you're right. it's definitely one of the most expensive things I make and it takes like six hours so it's only once a year

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

why is it so expensive?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

why is it so expensive?

the meat sauce takes hours and is a lot of ingredients but for me the amount of ricotta used is directly proportionate to cost

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Rigott

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

i say swears online posted:

the meat sauce takes hours and is a lot of ingredients but for me the amount of ricotta used is directly proportionate to cost

There's no ricotta in lasagna bolognese though.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

thotsky posted:

There's no ricotta in lasagna bolognese though.

Original OP said bolognese (assuming meat sauce) for a lasagna which I got, OP2 is referencing meat sauce with ricotta which is standard for a traditional non-bechamel lasagna

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
was slinging pizzas for the game yesterday

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dokapon Findom posted:

Original OP said bolognese (assuming meat sauce) for a lasagna which I got, OP2 is referencing meat sauce with ricotta which is standard for a traditional non-bechamel lasagna

bechamel lasagna is superior and I am never going back to the ricotta style

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I used both in mine so feel free to lambast me

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

It's time to get inspired again. Might have a couple more defiant barbecues in the face of oncoming winter just to use up my coal but hoping to broaden my horizons; thinking of making a Thai red curry from scratch with the shrimp paste, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, onion. Maybe doing a butter chicken or tikka masala with the same initiative instead of from a packet like usual. Thinking of trying this oven baked chicken recipe combined with the wet brine I've been utilizing for other chicken dishes. The place I buy 00 flour pizza dough from either started freezing it or changed some other aspect because now it sucks and I'm going to have to start tossing my own dough like some (5 Italian expletives deleted)

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

hell yeah #3 that's a good rear end pie

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Those look really good and make my pizza earlier this week (peanut sauce base, gouda, oven roasted chicken, sauteed red pepper, and fresh green onion after cooking) seem deeply inadequate :negative:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Got beef and other fixings for slow cooker tacos yesterday but I forgot to pick up chipotle peppers in adobo sauce; as well didn't realize I hadn't replaced my last can of tomato paste after making beef bourguignon last month, so have none in the house. Major fuckup, not going to the store again til tomorrow morning so tonight I'm pivoting to a classic quiche lorraine with extra bacon :yum:

Had Red Lobster the other night and it kicked rear end, lobster tails seemed extra big vs. previous meals. I've heard lobsters aren't fed after being caught so after making it this far inland the ones for purchase locally are pretty emaciated within their carapace. gently caress Costco, clearly I need a Sysco membership.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

at a dinner party early and was asked to take over the mashed potatoes while the host handles other things. all he has is cream cheese and skim milk

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

at a dinner party early and was asked to take over the mashed potatoes while the host handles other things. all he has is cream cheese and skim milk

it’s too late but thinning the cream cheese with a splash of milk and a splash of lemon juice could get you closer to sour cream, which is actually an S replacement for whole milk. if they don’t have butter though I don’t know what to tell you.

edit: I’ve never tried this so maybe just thin out the cream cheese with milk. add some garlic to the potatoes or chives and green onions at the end.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah went with a shitload of garlic and black pepper and they were good enough

dude can grill a steak though, I wish imgur worked on phones

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

yeah went with a shitload of garlic and black pepper and they were good enough

dude can grill a steak though, I wish imgur worked on phones

for serious though, three pounds of yellow potatoes, 16oz sour cream, a couple sticks of butter, salt and pepper will make some incredible mashed potatoes. no milk.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Garlic and sour cream in potatoes... y'all runnin' wild

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

:drat:

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

nice lookin pizzas. you use a stone / steel?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dokapon Findom posted:

Garlic and sour cream in potatoes... y'all runnin' wild

those are like yeast and salt in bread

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

not pictured: very good asparagus

we all venmo'd him $23, would have been $120 at a steakhouse. good to have friends with grills. the cut pic looks beef'd but i requested the more burned stuff since a couple people were rare folks and they mostly came out medium

i went out to go get butter

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

those are like yeast and salt in bread

I do mine skins on with milk, butter and seasoning salt; I've had them too garlicky in restaurants and that has put me off adding it at home altogether. Sour cream is for a baked potato :colbert:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

snack soul posted:

nice lookin pizzas. you use a stone / steel?

Steel

Bake some banging bread on it as well, pretty much never comes out of the oven.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I bought a stone before I realized how impractical the warm-up time is, I assume steel is a lot faster?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

I bought a stone before I realized how impractical the warm-up time is, I assume steel is a lot faster?

It seems faster, but I don’t know that it’s a lot faster

The real advantage is that you can turn the oven up to 500-550 and you don’t have to worry about the stone cracking. This thing will last forever with minimal maintenance.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

yeah mine is a 30lb slab of carbon steel so it just lives in the oven most of the time. i give it 45 minutes at 550 to preheat. a thinner one might be a better trade-off of preheat time vs. heat retention

also makes killer bagels

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is there a cheap industrial-supply workaround to grabbing one?

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

i didn’t do this because i’m lazy and they aren’t too pricey but yeah if you search ‘diy pizza steel’ this is definitely a thing. might be able to get a local metal shop to grind the edges down smooth for you too

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

killdougher

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's going on the laser-etched monogram

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Plate-A36-0-25-Thick/dp/B081Z3FKQM/

absolutely buying this the second i leave my lovely apartment with lovely kitchen and get a decent place

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

absolutely buying this the second i leave my lovely apartment with lovely kitchen and get a decent place

been saying this

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
ah but do you have a carry bag for your steel so you can wow your friends slinging pizza at their house like a modern day culinary bard

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i would eat your pizza but i would also groan loud as poo poo if i saw you sling that onto the counter

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
I left my $80 pizza steel in the oven of my last apartment that loving ripped off my $700 security deposit and I'm still loving pissed about it. 1000 miles away or I'd go and demand it back.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I've got a round pizza steel that my older brother gifted me one year for Christmas.

this was a few years before I got the notion to cook my own food so, I'll be honest, it sat in the cabinet for a long time before I ever even looked at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ah but do you have a carry bag for your steel so you can wow your friends slinging pizza at their house like a modern day culinary bard

Just-In-Timberlake in 2024 posted:

I finally come up with an idea and I tell the girl, if I can proceed with it. The plan was I would carry my pizza steel about 2miles to her house, cook up the needed pizza, maybe talk to her a bit while I was there. I was hoping for at least a hug out of this ordeal.

By the time I get there, I'm wet all over from sweating in the +90 degree heat outside and carrying a heavy motherfucking pizza steel. The first thing I see upon entering her room (my first time in a girl's bedroom) are some panties on her bed.