Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

oh yeah trs update came out a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UleGCDCUsqM
https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/tamriel-rebuilt-2310-release
Tamriel Rebuilt is proud to announce the release of update 23.10: Andaram! This release expands the game world to the south and comes with more than 100 new quests, 9 faction questlines, two new biomes, and dozens of dungeons, including a whole new dungeon type.

Download TR 23.10 from our website:
https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/downloads/main-release
Or on Morrowind Nexus:
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42145

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Woah Black Betty
Andaram

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Badass

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Woah Netch Betty
Andaram

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Oh poo poo, time to break my save.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Time to reinstall I guess, last time I tried a playthrough on openMW it got ruined because flags and banners would glitch out. :(

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm holding out for the next OpenMW stable release before I get back into it I think. I heard somewhere that it's going to have better controller support than currently has (though it might be just fine right now, idk, I haven't tried it much) and I want to get a I Heart Vanilla Expanded setup running on my Steam Deck.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Yea, I really dislike the hybrid mouse cursor/controller support. Xbox had a great UI in my opinion. Wish they could rip that off.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

mbt posted:

oh yeah trs update came out a few days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UleGCDCUsqM
https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/tamriel-rebuilt-2310-release
Tamriel Rebuilt is proud to announce the release of update 23.10: Andaram! This release expands the game world to the south and comes with more than 100 new quests, 9 faction questlines, two new biomes, and dozens of dungeons, including a whole new dungeon type.

Download TR 23.10 from our website:
https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/downloads/main-release
Or on Morrowind Nexus:
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42145

how are the quests in TR? I assume they are completely separate from mainline Morrowind.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Pretty cool & i think mostly disconnected but sort of not -- they don't meddlewith the vanilla ones but some aspects need you to do stuff on vvard iirc. The one lake quest made me start to want to do my own mods, and just farting around bullshitting real easy with guar herder & ashfall was fun. Really the whole environment down there is cool and I perpetually keep trying to find all my notes and reorganize my files & mod setup every time I remember it.

Getting cranked up on tea to avoid sleeping, then crashing & nearly freezing to death passed out in a gutter was pretty wild. Dunno if I had the correct uh, "ashfall biome interconnect" or not, or even if that's a thing.

Bottom line: don't do drugs unless you can handle em, kids.

Also this is why I will always maintain slow mode & never power game, situations like that can never actually happen unless you are willing to play like a jackass.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Also, with regards to the local map advice, its great, whats even better is in OpenMW you can make the local map way bigger, in fact, you can scroll from the big map all the way down to the local map.
Andaram eh, I think I know what I am doing when i can pull myself away from slippy-sloppy-Starfield.

manglar
Jun 25, 2023

hannibal posted:

how are the quests in TR? I assume they are completely separate from mainline Morrowind.

All the recently released questlines (in Andothren, Firewatch, Almas Thirr, etc) have been great in my experience. Each recent guild questline has had a story arc of some kind, and a lot of them are pretty interesting. The quality is better than or at least as good as vanilla. Most of them take place exclusively on the mainland for compatibility and distance reasons; the area Tamriel Rebuilt covers is plenty large enough to have things be entirely self-contained in mod areas. It's good!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't like tr's world building as much, but that's a hard act to follow

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dont think that the makers of TR want to A: take so many drugs, B, are capable of turning sush chemical abuse into what became morrowind.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I liked the one where everyone was turning into weird dreugh things, but that might have been because I was so pleased with the water trap execution and, you know, all the dreugh gear, and the pilgrimage that kills you. I think they did a great job using little tricks of the engine to pull off some really cool immersive stuff, and while the world building isn't as great, it has great moments, and as Ikenreed said, its a very hard act to follow, especially since you have limited data to work with in order to stay lore friendly, and its not a situation where you can be like "we have a new dagoth ur sized problem' main questline. You could, but it would be very counter to the project's philosophy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i have remember grabbing some random books in the painter's house in ebonheart and being blown away at how good they were. TR rules.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ikanreed posted:

I don't like tr's world building as much, but that's a hard act to follow

depends on where you go, really. its been getting better. the latest stuff is the first content released that wasn't a holdover from old 2011 TR

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
It is so important to me that everyone be aware that the iconic Japanese horror movie Ringu (1998) punctuates a climactic and tragic death scene with Sadako being bludgeoned to the sound of the Morrowind fall-damage noise. And so far as I can find online, I am the first person ever to have noticed this.

Here's the moment in Ringu: https://youtu.be/CQ1jkNj4cZc?t=4323
And here's the Morrowind sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWBq-Esg6s

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 13, 2023

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My guess is they both came from the same third party library. That’s funny either way though

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah the Morrowind door opening noise is in every second or third BBC period drama too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There was some more recent game that had the dwemer ruins creak effects playing a bunch and it really threw me.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The_White_Crane posted:

It is so important to me that everyone be aware that the iconic Japanese horror movie Ringu (1998) punctuates a climactic and tragic death scene with Sadako being bludgeoned to the sound of the Morrowind fall-damage noise. And so far as I can find online, I am the first person ever to have noticed this.

Here's the moment in Ringu: https://youtu.be/CQ1jkNj4cZc?t=4323
And here's the Morrowind sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWBq-Esg6s

I was inspired
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYJ_54vgRnk

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Someone edit that video so that he misses four times before he hits.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

lol

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

:master:

That's excellent. And yeah, I'm sure it is just a case of a reused stock sound, I'm just amazed that as far as I can see no-one has commented on this before! I mean, maybe they have and I just can't find it through a cursory google, but.
I would just have expected the overlap between "nerds who play Morrowind a lot and thus have this sound seared into their brain" and "nerds who watch '90s jHorror movies" to be large enough for this to be a well-known bit of trivia!

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 13, 2023

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

also deffo needs that cliffracer ambiance.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

hannibal posted:

The quest line around the giant pilgrimage bridge where as a Temple acolyte you're playing mediator between Indoril and Hlaalu trying to stop a house war from breaking out and frankly are likely to make a hash of it the first time unguided, resulting in full-blown House War is great. Generally, the newer quests are much better at recognizing the best elements of morrowind come in dialogue and writing, rather than 'dungeon crawl this labyrinth and kill a bazillion OP enemies' (I recently played through the Caldera Priory and Blades trapped monastery mods, both of which were much more like that)

They're also surprisingly reactive and well written - if as part of the pilgrim bridge Temple quest line you get necromancy banned outright in Old Ebonheart, you may find during the Mages Guild that the local necromancer will refuse to help you unless you pay his 'fine' of a few thousand gold.. Similarly, when you meet a young Indoril noble who asks how he should treat a dying slave, you can talk him into freeing them and returning them home to die with high speechcraft, but denouncing slavery outright has him angrily cut off the conversation.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Lol, but it going to lie, I was expecting a “die fetcher” in there.

Still never noticed that before but now you’ve posted it, it’s so obvious. Since the BBC use it I’ll rewatch the British Office and see if it pops up there.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also lmao

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Weavered posted:

Lol, but it going to lie, I was expecting a “die fetcher” in there.

Still never noticed that before but now you’ve posted it, it’s so obvious. Since the BBC use it I’ll rewatch the British Office and see if it pops up there.

Listen for the book opening noise too. That's in a lot of things.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I haven't played in a while so I decided to see how Tamriel Rebuilt is coming along.

After spending half an hour trying to figure out why I was getting spammed with loading errors, I finally made a new character and didn't even make it off the boat before encountering a disembodied wood elf head embedded in the deck, a giant sail clipping through the guy telling me to go down to the dock, and a naked argonian wandering around on said dock.

While amusing, I don't understand why this mod fucks everything up every single time I try to install it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
look i thought not registering your bsas and ordering this thing correctly was not a big deal i had it all together

it's a big deal and like an ignoramus i forgot to register lol

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Jabarto posted:

I haven't played in a while so I decided to see how Tamriel Rebuilt is coming along.

After spending half an hour trying to figure out why I was getting spammed with loading errors, I finally made a new character and didn't even make it off the boat before encountering a disembodied wood elf head embedded in the deck, a giant sail clipping through the guy telling me to go down to the dock, and a naked argonian wandering around on said dock.

While amusing, I don't understand why this mod fucks everything up every single time I try to install it.

I've had one or two missing items but other than that no bugs what so ever. I followed the guide on their site and created a new character and it just worked.
Edit: also I used a new mod setup in MO, maybe that helped.

Speaking of which, I visited Necrom yesterday, a really majestic place. Walking past and north along the coast and coming upon the huge dwemer ruins was also very impressive.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jabarto posted:

By the sound of it you hosed up, not the mod.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The one time I ran TR I was surprised it ran so badly; my recollection is that that's expected?

Now, that was a couple years ago I have a modern ish PC that can run all the games, Should I expect to be able to run TR without stutters or low FPS?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Jack B Nimble posted:

The one time I ran TR I was surprised it ran so badly; my recollection is that that's expected?

Now, that was a couple years ago I have a modern ish PC that can run all the games, Should I expect to be able to run TR without stutters or low FPS?

Those were fundamental problems with the Morrowind rendering engine, combined with some of the cities being somewhat populous.

I believe I read openmw does it better

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jabarto posted:

If you're getting spammed with loading errors you messed up installing somewhere and should go back and follow every step including registering BSAs.

Jack B Nimble posted:

It runs better on my current system than the last time I tried it but it still runs worse than the base game, probably because of the engine. OpenMW might run better but I use enough mods that can't be used in Open that I probably won't ever use it unless they update to let me play those mods. I haven't compared but wouldn't be surprised if using the Vulcan wrapper thing that's out for MW and New Vegas now might help too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've never used OpenMW but out of all the BGS games it's the one I mod the least. Does Ashfall and the various mods the author recommends run in OpenMW? That + a texture up res is all I really need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
Ashfall doesn’t work with OpenMW, but there are other basic needs mods that do. See: https://danaeplays.thenet.sk/survival-mods/