Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*open my eyes to sticky loving poo poo.... what the gently caress.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah that sounds about right. As far as I'm concerned, the canon films ended at 3, and the rest are like What If? and Elseworld stories you get in comics being adapted.

Just a reminder that Aliens: Labyrinth is the best Aliens comic and absolutely should be adapted into a movie. I would pay good money to get a copy into Neill Blomkamp’s hands and get him to make that as his Aliens movie, he’d knock it out of the park.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ruddiger posted:

Predator: *shoots mesh net*

Engineer: “jokes on you, I’m into that poo poo.”

So that's why the xenomorph looks like that

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol goddamn that's great

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

I like the prequels as sci-fi horror movies, I think they have neat things to say and I think they’re well-made.

I just don’t care for them as Alien movies, I think their connections to Alien are unnecessary and exist as a detriment to both themselves and ‘Alien’.
Prometheus was not a /good/ film but it's fine. I would definitely have enjoyed Covenant a lot more if they'd both been just their own self contained sequel/trilogy yeah.

I finally watched Sputnik. It's good.

E: the "both" in my last post refers to Covenant and Passengers, not Covenant and Prometheus.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 6, 2023

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Me years ago: A marine apc driver, I get killed when an alien crawls in through an open hatch and slaughters me.

Me now: I'm sitting at a computer terminal goofing off at work; an alien drops from the ceiling and kills me.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'd be a colonial marine killed by my fellow marine when they blast me with a flamethrower as they're being carried away by a xenomorph.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'd be a colonial marine killed by my fellow marine when they blast me with a flamethrower as they're being carried away by a xenomorph.

Friendly Fire is a nice sounding way to go.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Android Apocalypse posted:

Who does this happen to in the film? Frost?

I looked it up and this list of deaths 'in order' is weird. Maybe it's drawing information from the screenplay or novelization or simply making assumptions about the order of the colonists' deaths, and a few of them are straight-up wrong - the acid blood that gets Drake isn't from the Queen alien, is it? And all of the off-screen deaths you could reasonably argue are actually cocoonings. If we take the director's cut as canon we know this at least happens to Burke.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

And it doesn’t list Vasquez and Gorman at all.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
which seinfeld cast member would get face hugger'd

same question but always sunny

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I would be the colonist begging to kill me. (Even before they get overrun)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

I would be the colonist begging to kill me. (Even before they get overrun)

There's more to life than just being a host!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm the colonist that gets taken away. At the hive, there's a huge argument between the drones, as they look in my direction and point at me like they're making a point. At the end of it, they bring me back exactly to where they took me from.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

which seinfeld cast member would get face hugger'd

definitely george

kramer would somehow save the day and defeat all the aliens through some whacky misderection

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

I'm the colonist that gets taken away. At the hive, there's a huge argument between the drones, as they look in my direction and point at me like they're making a point. At the end of it, they bring me back exactly to where they took me from.

You so ugly a facehugger looked at you and said "Hell Nah"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I don't know if I should feel hurt, or relieved.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Grandpa Simpson.gif but it's a face hugger casually strolling back into its pod.

After a few seconds it starts trying to discretely pull it closed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Two pods open. Each facehugger starts moving slower and slower as they approach me. They have no eyes, but still exchange awkward glances.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 7, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A facehugger starts crawling toward me, hesitates, then corrects course toward a half open egg. Half a dozen hatchmates shift to make room. I now know the Alien for "Thanks", "Don't mention it", and "Yeesh".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 7, 2023

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

git apologist posted:

definitely george
I abused Bing Image Creator to make these a few days ago. (It's all pasta sauce and calamari, that's what I put in the prompt!)
:nws:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Improbable Lobster posted:

Cricket

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Small Strange Bird posted:

I abused Bing Image Creator to make these a few days ago. (It's all pasta sauce and calamari, that's what I put in the prompt!)

I just want to say I love your AV. It makes me smile.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

redshirt posted:

I just want to say I love your AV. It makes me smile.
Thank you! (It makes me smile too, which is why I picked it as my av. :blush: )

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
drat. Missed it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Probably thread semi-relevant to point out that the long overdue HD version of The Abyss is coming out, and the movie is hitting US cinemas for one day only on December 6th.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

george is getting upset

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Parkingtigers posted:

Probably thread semi-relevant to point out that the long overdue HD version of The Abyss is coming out, and the movie is hitting US cinemas for one day only on December 6th.

The Abyss is great. Michael Biehn plays a perfect psycho.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

George’s transformation into soup-mode is more dramatic than I expected.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

I haven’t seen that since I was a kid, I’ve really been meaning to check it out again.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
One thing about The Abyss that blows my mind is that the liquid oxygen poo poo is sort of real. That was the most impactful scene on me when I was younger. gently caress that poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

One thing about The Abyss that blows my mind is that the liquid oxygen poo poo is sort of real. That was the most impactful scene on me when I was younger. gently caress that poo poo.

Not just sort of real, the bit where they demo it on the rat, they’re actually submerging the rat in real oxygenated liquid and it’s actually breathing it.

That’s right, that bit isn’t fake.

Hooray animal cruelty!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Not just sort of real, the bit where they demo it on the rat, they’re actually submerging the rat in real oxygenated liquid and it’s actually breathing it.

Hooray animal cruelty!

Science-diagrams-that-look-like-shitposts:

Mammalian enteral ventilation ameliorates respiratory failure

You can stick a tube up rats/pigs/?humans? butts into their intestines, pump in oxygenated fluorocarbon fluids, let the fluid run back out down the high-surface area+good at absorption intestinal walls, and get significant improvements in blood oxygen.

This is interesting because doing that is less invasive than intubating with a mechanical lung ventilator, and wouldn't rely on functioning lung tissue. Intestines are also a better target for oxygenated fluids than lungs since they're already set up for liquid exposure and continuous flow. Fluids in lungs have problems with damaging alveoli since they're denser/more viscous, and also how you get all of it back out when ending ventalation.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Hooray animal cruelty!

Yeah, I said "sort of" because it isn't used on humans like they do in the movie. I was aware of the poor rat. I'm sure that wasn't very fun for him. :(

I think I watched a documentary or at least a short video on the fluid and the poo poo is amazing. But humans can't really use it because it takes a whole lot more energy to move a fluid in and out of your lungs than a gas.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The Abyss is great. Michael Biehn plays a perfect psycho.

I remember being disturbed that Biehn wasn't playing the "tried and gruff but heart of gold" good guy.

I think I only knew him from Terminator and Aliens.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I forget who told that story about seeing the Abyss with their cynical dad and at the part where Ed Harris' wedding ring stops the door from shutting he leaned over and dryly said "do ya get it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

Science-diagrams-that-look-like-shitposts:

Mammalian enteral ventilation ameliorates respiratory failure

You can stick a tube up rats/pigs/?humans? butts into their intestines, pump in oxygenated fluorocarbon fluids, let the fluid run back out down the high-surface area+good at absorption intestinal walls, and get significant improvements in blood oxygen.

This is interesting because doing that is less invasive than intubating with a mechanical lung ventilator, and wouldn't rely on functioning lung tissue. Intestines are also a better target for oxygenated fluids than lungs since they're already set up for liquid exposure and continuous flow. Fluids in lungs have problems with damaging alveoli since they're denser/more viscous, and also how you get all of it back out when ending ventalation.

You telling me I can breathe through my rear end in a top hat now, like the worlds worst blowhole? Science has finally gone too far.