Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

grassy gnoll posted:

You could do the terrain rules, but they suck and they're an even bigger pain in the rear end than you guessed. I don't think I've played with them beyond the one time.

You can take strats and tactics from both the GHB and your army book, unless you're playing an Army of Renown. This season, that'd really only be the specialty armies out of the Dawnbringers books. Your army may also get some freebie battle tactics and strats to try to juice their rankings from the FAQs, so check those out at some point as well.

This is kind of a trick question: how many enhancements did you take?

Uh..whatever the app said I could take. I think it's 1 artifact, 1 command trait and a triumph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

You keep doing this thing where you don't read and then have a snarky reply. It's really weird.

But while we're on the topic of SCE anyways, how's the new chaplain looking dude on dragon? That model is sick but I don't know enough about where he would fit in a list.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 4, 2023

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Pillow fisted for the points but with shuting down rally and inspiring presence and two prayers he is decent support piece. Also ability to remove invokations is quite unique

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
after playing them for a while I've noticed that SCE, as a rule, tend to be very pillowfisted across the board outside of a few specific units (longstrikes, fulminators)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Painted a handsome young man

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Pillow fisted for the points but with shuting down rally and inspiring presence and two prayers he is decent support piece. Also ability to remove invokations is quite unique

That seems interesting enough at least, hopefully it makes it into some lists. The model is one of the few SCE figures that really grabbed my attention.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Funzo posted:

Uh..whatever the app said I could take. I think it's 1 artifact, 1 command trait and a triumph.

To be clear, I'm not ragging on you. The way GW presents enhancements absolutely gets up my nose, when it should have been a single-row table that boils down to "take one of each of these."

I approve of this horrible axe murderer. Good skin tones!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

An Oops All Dragons list would be the only way I could tolerate playing SCE, but I feel like after the shitstorm when Stormdrakes first dropped they are going to be very hesitant to make that a viable listbuilding option again outside of casual play.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

AnEdgelord posted:

after playing them for a while I've noticed that SCE, as a rule, tend to be very pillowfisted across the board outside of a few specific units (longstrikes, fulminators)

Right now the list is rather short yeah. Its fulminators, grandhammer annihilators, longstrikes, kazrai and surprasingly due to rule change evocators on dracolines. I will also die on tempestors being good hill but they are not outright murder maschines

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

An Oops All Dragons list would be the only way I could tolerate playing SCE, but I feel like after the shitstorm when Stormdrakes first dropped they are going to be very hesitant to make that a viable listbuilding option again outside of casual play.

I mean, I have very little experience playing AoS, especially against that sort of skew list. But it seems to me that in a game where the 'normal' army is some units of guys on foot, and maybe some cavalry type faster units, and maybe some monsters or really elite units, if your army is entirely flying super rapid fire breathing death machines, games get a little silly.

I imagine the same dynamic is at play with armies composed entirely of the flying dwarf cannon ships.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

to be honest i really like the idea of a kharadron list that’s just a swarm of ships with a couple of larger ones, but while I don’t feel the need to be particularly competitive in AOS that one just feels miles away from viable

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/05/sunday-preview-christmas-army-boxes-are-the-best-presents-around/

It's the Christmas battle boxes, they're early. Really early.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am in trouble, lol

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
New FEC model, I think it's safe to say that Ushoran is coming soon.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/06/hail-to-the-noble-seneschal-who-makes-safe-the-borders-of-his-masters-kingdom/

Cool sculpt, but god I hate models with straight up in the air wings like that, that's going to be a nightmare to transport.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like it a lot, but I agree. I think it would be as cool if the wings were draped around the rock like a cloak.

Classic batman perch.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I want more hints of hosed up nobility in the sculpt, they just look like generic nosferatu monsters

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

GW is still doing their 2 week preorder period right? So Dawnbringers book 3 gets released this coming weekend?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
How many corpses do you have to eat to grow wings? Asking for a friend

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Depends on the corpse.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Bought about 3000 points of unpainted OBR off a dude this weekend. Painted up the first one today. :toot:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Bought about 3000 points of unpainted OBR off a dude this weekend. Painted up the first one today. :toot:

I just bought that little guy!! haven't painted him yet

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I want more hints of hosed up nobility in the sculpt, they just look like generic nosferatu monsters

He's wearing this guy's outfit made out of bones and rags and bat wings, I'm not sure what more you could want.

Don't get me wrong, I would be delighted if we got a series of hosed up ghoul monsters posing for their official portraits, but I don't think we're going to get comparatively placid sculpts for our army men toys.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
It’s a cool sculpt but he kind of looks like a big angry janitor.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

grassy gnoll posted:

He's wearing this guy's outfit made out of bones and rags and bat wings, I'm not sure what more you could want.

I want them to push it more in that direction. The "ruff" just looks like a bone necklace, it should have more bones in it to make it more ruff-like. Give him more clothing, and make it look like robes that have been stitched together out of skin rather than just vague ribbons and belts. Basically I want them to look like what would happen if Leatherface got really into historical reenactment.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I want them to push it more in that direction. The "ruff" just looks like a bone necklace, it should have more bones in it to make it more ruff-like. Give him more clothing, and make it look like robes that have been stitched together out of skin rather than just vague ribbons and belts. Basically I want them to look like what would happen if Leatherface got really into historical reenactment.

Yeah I get it, the thematic connotations of the court delusion are cool as hell and this whole time the models haven't reflected it as much since they're just using the same molds as the old world, it's a good chance to push it way further with a range refresh and have them dressed in tatters instead of still being naked feral vampires mostly.

I guess its not a full range refresh so they want to keep continuity, is why they're going more half measure, maybe ushoran will be different.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/07/tune-into-our-next-explosive-preview-direct-from-the-world-championships-of-warhammer/

New Warhammer Preview Stream next friday, and it looks to be packed.

Except more about the upcoming Ghoul releases then.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

grassy gnoll posted:

You could do the terrain rules, but they suck and they're an even bigger pain in the rear end than you guessed. I don't think I've played with them beyond the one time.

we only use the terrain rules if it's some special showpiece that were proud of and want to draw attention too

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/07/tune-into-our-next-explosive-preview-direct-from-the-world-championships-of-warhammer/

New Warhammer Preview Stream next friday, and it looks to be packed.

Except more about the upcoming Ghoul releases then.

Give us the 4th Edition Skaven refresh, cowards!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just bought books for v3 I don't need to buy books again

on that note, anyone have good success selling their old books to recoup some costs?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I got lucky and lost my 2ed SCE book so I don't have to store it. On a serious note I just keep this stuff for rpg reference but I've seen people getting rid of old books for like 1/5 the price

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm seriously contemplating getting some of the new Bretonians to build an FEC army with. No idea what conversions to do or how to make it look good, but it would be fun.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

I agree; the model is still cool and it's a vague and unfair aesthetic standard, but before the 'ruff' was pointed out to me I didn't clock it as such, and overall if you were unaware of the delusion backstory you'd probably just read it as a standard spooky ghoul.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Watch them make ghouls 32mm round bases

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Managed to snag a Vengorian Court battleforce box at a good discount. I was kicking myself for passing them up last year so I’m pleased this worked out.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
When Idoneth "eat" a soul, is it gone forever? Or does it, like, go to sleep until the Idoneth dies and then go to the afterlife? It feels weird if Idoneth are basically as bad as Chaos, killing kids and ceasing their existence. Even Destruction and Death factions are generally better than that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hiro Protagonist posted:

When Idoneth "eat" a soul, is it gone forever? Or does it, like, go to sleep until the Idoneth dies and then go to the afterlife? It feels weird if Idoneth are basically as bad as Chaos, killing kids and ceasing their existence. Even Destruction and Death factions are generally better than that.

It gets stapled to a dying Idoneth to extend their life. Mostly newborns, the vast majority of whom are born dying of soul weakness. These then become the Namarti caste, and those that excel may get another graft to extend their life further. Eventually when they die, their grafted soul will either be grafted onto a new Namarti further or will, if they are deemed to have been worthy of immortal afterlife, enter a special coral structure to be stored with the rest of the Idoneth souls of that colony, because the Idoneth do not allow their souls to enter afterlife the normal way as they rely on the soul choirs to help direct their magic and as a form of reverence for them.

The souls they use are thus not removed from existence, but become part of the Namarti.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Regardless, it still seems preferable to the Slaanesh version of eating souls, where it's implied the souls are still distinct and conscious while being torn apart for eons. Which in turn is definitely better than being a Nighthaunt.

"Order" definitely doesn't mean "Good." It's just everybody else is comically, absurdly evil.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The many fates of a soul in the Mortal Realms.

Case 1. Grant the farmer works and lives his life until he dies. Grant’s soul travels to Shyish where it goes to the afterlife that closet matches his beliefs. If Grant is unlucky this Underworld has always been conquered by hostile forces like Nagash or Chaos. If left alone his soul will eventually pass on to an unknown place beyond Shyish.
Case 2. Grant the Farmer’s community is attacked by Beastmen and he jumps out by himself to fend them off for a while causing Sigmar to think he’s pretty cool and so he is saved as he dies and turned into a Stormcast.
Case 3. Grant the Farmer decides Sigmar sucks and joins a chaos warband until he dies, if he swore his soul to one of the Chaos Gods his soul will go to the realm of chaos after death.
Case 4. Grant the Farmer lives his life and dies but he did something in life that allows one of Nagash’s curses to capture his soul as it travels to Shyish transforming it into a gheist that will likely join the Nighthaunt processions.
Case 5. Grant’s soul is eaten or destroyed in some way like Idoneth, or Chaos magic.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 12, 2023

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MonsterEnvy posted:

The many fates of a soul in the Mortal Realms.

Case 1. Grant the farmer works and lives his life until he dies. Grant’s soul travels to Shyish where it goes to the afterlife that closet matches his beliefs. If Grant is unlucky this Underworld has always been conquered by hostile forces like Nagash or Chaos. If left alone his soul will eventually pass on to an unknown place beyond Shyish.
Case 2. Grant the Farmer’s community is attacked by Beastmen and he jumps out by himself to fend them off for a while causing Sigmar to think he’s pretty cool and so he is saved as he dies and turned into a Stormcast.
Case 3. Grant the Farmer decides Sigmar sucks and joins a chaos war and until he dies, if he swore his soul to one of the Chaos Gods his soul will go to the realm of chaos after death.
Case 4. Grant the Farmer lives his life and dies but he did something in life that allows one of Nagash’s curses to capture his soul as it travels to Shyish transforming it into a gheist that will likely join the Nighthaunt processions.
Case 5. Grant’s soul is eaten or destroyed in some way like Idoneth, or Chaos magic.

Case 6. Grant the Farmer becomes a Soulbound from the RPG so he can no longer die of old age but his soul explodes when he dies instead of any of the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I remember talking to my catholic mother about souls and she was like "if you believe that you don't have one, isn't it horrifying and lonely to feel you don't have a soul and it all ends when you die" and like yeah but I'll take that 10000% over the horrors of existing after death as some sort of eternal disincorporated sentient thing, drifting and vulnerable to the whims of inscrutable inhuman entities. loving horrifying. Incomprehensible cosmic horror sounds like a bad vibe. Can't even off yourself to escape the terrors of the aos universe, it just gets worse from there.