Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Oh that's a nice lookin' piece of kit. If you get a chance, definitely check out the SR series necks, they're super skinny and fast. Love em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Anybody seen the Cat Bass v2? This v2 came out this year. I'm really close to ordering it in surf green with cream pickups. I haven't had a bass that I really connect to, so having the light short scale will probably be just what I need. Could sell a few unloved synths in the process to fund it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Howdy, I want to learn bass. Looking at something just above what's considered beginner basses. The 2 that caught my interest was the G&L Tribute Kiloton in Black Frost and the Schecter Stiletto Stealth-4. Anyone have either of these that could provide some input of your experiences with them?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I've played the schecter, it's a really comfortable and versatile instrument.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Having not touched either of those specific models, I would lean towards the G&L line in general over Schecter. Simple P style is going to give you less to worry about and classic for a reason while still being versatile with it being a humbucker.

I also think it looks way nicer.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I have a Kiloton 5 string and I adore it, it's my favorite bass.

That doesn't say a lot, I've played very few basses. But still!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Howdy, I want to learn bass. Looking at something just above what's considered beginner basses. The 2 that caught my interest was the G&L Tribute Kiloton in Black Frost and the Schecter Stiletto Stealth-4. Anyone have either of these that could provide some input of your experiences with them?

With all the Ibanez SR chat in recent pages, and also being a bit biased; they're very comfy, have a huge range from very affordable to pro-status, and are great bang for buck imo.

Something like this at around $430 USD, big ol' passive humbuckers, 3-way powertap which is essentially a coil split allowing for humbucker and single coil sound, EQ and quick neck. Out of the two you linked though, I'd go with the Schecter PJ with the 2-way EQ config for a more versatile sound personally.
https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/sr370e_1p_03.html

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 6, 2023

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ibanez do make pretty-looking basses I must resist the GAS!

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

ewe2 posted:

Ibanez do make pretty-looking basses I must resist the GAS!

Giving in to SR Acquisition Syndrom (SRAS) has worked well for me, and may work well for you! Check with your local luthier today!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I guess I was the only boring one who got the Mexican made fender jazz bass to start. The slimmer neck appealed as well as the supposed more tones out of the pair of pickups but I'm not using that feature like I thought I would. They're also not an amazing deal at $600 or $800 new (I've forgotten what I paid now).

Do schecter basses have the same weird problem as their guitars do, with ridiculously high frets? Most of their guitars I've tried felt like playing a scalloped neck without the bother of carving it. Fun for messing around but not so much for serious practice.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
I have the Schecter Stilletto Stealth 4 and it's great. The humbucker is placed way down next to the saddles which is quite a bit lower than most other basses, so it has more of a bite than something like a stingray. Then it's got the p-bass pickup too! It's a really good workhorse if you like to switch genres and just want one bass to cover it all.

The build quality is good enough; I had a couple high frets that I had to file down and now it plays great. For a first time player I'd budget a little extra $ for a pro to set it up.

I'm sure that G&L will also be excellent, so you've got two solid instruments to choose from.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

These are very, very different bass guitars and will play, sound, and feel very different. You can expect the G&L to feel a bit beefier due to the thickness of the neck and the number of frets. The Schecter will likely play a bit faster/easier and give you way more sounds to work with, but (as mentioned above) the quality control on the fret height is historically a bit iffy.

IMO your best bet will always be to go to a music store and play everything you can find in your price range; this will give you the best balance of value, playability, sound, and looks.

Also want to chime in and echo the recommendations for the Ibanez SR line, they pack an insane amount of value into their instruments and they are just eminently playable basses with amazing ergonomics (another important point for you to consider, as bass guitars are notoriously heavy and cumbersome). Despite owning several much nicer instruments I still get a ton of mileage out my SR375 because it just feels so goddamn good to play.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I'll be the token curmudgeon who poopoos on the SR line - their necks just feel all wrong too me, to the point where it's a distraction.

But that just emphasizes the point that was made earlier - if it's at all feasible to do so, it is absolutely worth your time to get some of these instruments in your hand, because there is no substitute for a hands-on test run. Some neck finishes or body ergonomics will be great for someone but unpleasant or even painful for someone else.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The Science Goy posted:

I'll be the token curmudgeon who poopoos on the SR line - their necks just feel all wrong too me, to the point where it's a distraction.

How so? Too thin? Too flat? Too wide? Just don't like the shape?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Neck has no heft to it, and string spacing is far too narrow, especially on the bridge side for 5-strings.

Bear in mind that I come from an upright background, so I'm accustomed to plenty of chonk in the neck and string spacing wide enough to park a truck between.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

So about 12 years ago I sold a Jackson 5 string because I really needed the cash. On my reverb feed today I see the EXACT bass for sale. Like literally the same bass. I recognize the case and the specific scuffs on the bass itself.

It's on sale for like half of what I sold it for back then.

I absolutely have to buy it right?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

It was meant to be; get that bass back.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yes, if you liked the bass or have a use for it.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The Science Goy posted:

Neck has no heft to it, and string spacing is far too narrow, especially on the bridge side for 5-strings.

Bear in mind that I come from an upright background, so I'm accustomed to plenty of chonk in the neck and string spacing wide enough to park a truck between.

Makes sense, I'm extremely hypermobile and come from a guitar background so your deal breakers are my selling points lol

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I did it

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Get that bass back in your life!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Looking for recommendations for envelope filter pedals that can take an expression input and MIDI input.

I've got this idea, the whole reason I bought a bass (but honestly would prefer to find a competent player and make it a two-piece as I'm pretty loving lazy and haven't practiced much), for like a live electronic act with my sequencers/drum machines/synths and a live bass through some effects, kind of like DFA1979 meets MSTRKRFT (lol see what I did there) or more annoyingly, Royal Blood meets Pendulum.

Anyway I've got this bass rig that keeps begging to be played. Ampeg BA-210, DigiTech Bass Whammy and EHX POG, DOD Carcosa fuzz. I want to put some sort of envelope filter on the end of it since that wub sound is such a staple of modern electronic music. But it strictly being an envelope filter triggered by the attack might not sound great, especially with that fuzz pedal in the mix. Frankly I find that funky static env filter/autowah sound to be really cornball. If you listen to a drum & bass track like this absolute nan-slapper you can hear that the filter automation really selling that bassline isn't static, there's all sorts of variation in it.

This is where the MIDI input comes in; I want to run a MIDI track on my sequencer containing an automation envelope and point it at the filter cutoff. I suppose the traditional answer would be just "git gud with the expression pedal dummy," and while I agree, it would be nice to have the option of the expression pedal as another layer to a locked-in filter automation, adjusting it for subtle variation.

Is this a thing that exists? Is it too much to ask that it have some crunchy filter modes too? Thanks.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Mister Speaker posted:

Looking for recommendations for envelope filter pedals that can take an expression input and MIDI input.

I've got this idea, the whole reason I bought a bass (but honestly would prefer to find a competent player and make it a two-piece as I'm pretty loving lazy and haven't practiced much), for like a live electronic act with my sequencers/drum machines/synths and a live bass through some effects, kind of like DFA1979 meets MSTRKRFT (lol see what I did there) or more annoyingly, Royal Blood meets Pendulum.

Anyway I've got this bass rig that keeps begging to be played. Ampeg BA-210, DigiTech Bass Whammy and EHX POG, DOD Carcosa fuzz. I want to put some sort of envelope filter on the end of it since that wub sound is such a staple of modern electronic music. But it strictly being an envelope filter triggered by the attack might not sound great, especially with that fuzz pedal in the mix. Frankly I find that funky static env filter/autowah sound to be really cornball. If you listen to a drum & bass track like this absolute nan-slapper you can hear that the filter automation really selling that bassline isn't static, there's all sorts of variation in it.

This is where the MIDI input comes in; I want to run a MIDI track on my sequencer containing an automation envelope and point it at the filter cutoff. I suppose the traditional answer would be just "git gud with the expression pedal dummy," and while I agree, it would be nice to have the option of the expression pedal as another layer to a locked-in filter automation, adjusting it for subtle variation.

Is this a thing that exists? Is it too much to ask that it have some crunchy filter modes too? Thanks.
Source audio soundblox pro bass filter maybe. I saw some bass player somewhere using it to make stupid dubstep wobbles with an external handheld sensor thing. Seemed fun. Lots of modes. Probably pretty cheap now.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Krustic posted:

Source audio soundblox pro bass filter maybe. I saw some bass player somewhere using it to make stupid dubstep wobbles with an external handheld sensor thing. Seemed fun. Lots of modes. Probably pretty cheap now.

Lol, the Hot Hand. It takes a regular expression pedal too. It does have a midi input that allows you to fiddle with parameters externally. I have one, but haven't had a deep dive with it.

I've seen them online for about $200-400 AUD.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Krustic posted:

Thanks, I will check that out! I'm not really just talking about wobbles though, that'd just require a simple LFO filter. The movement I'm looking to create is definitely something that requires an automation lane.

I think there are MIDI-expression converters too, so theoretically I could find a filter with good character and an exp input and go that route.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I have a source audio spectrum and it's super rad right out of the box, and the tweakability over USB makes it even more fun

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What wah pedals do people like? I have a Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah that my brother loaned me which is good because it doesnt have an on/off switch, it just turns on when you use it. the problem is it takes up like 30% of my pedal board and it has stupid diamond plate metal on the already all-metal pedal and it weighs a ton.

I like the 20/20 models that are a bit smaller, but they're expensive. not really into crybabies because of the need to switch them on and off (or at least the ones i had in the past had stupid heavy detent on the switch making them impossible to use reliably/easily)

anyone got hands-on with the cheaper stuff like hotone and soundcake? cant find many decent reviews online, especially for bass-centric opinions.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

The Justin chancellor fuzz wah turns on when you move the treadle. It's expensive though, so I would try it out first. I personally didn't get into it, but I don't have that much experience using wah pedals with bass, and I actually like having the switch for my cry baby.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I want a Danelectro Longhorn bass. 29.75" scale. Out of my guitars the Danelectro double cut is my favorite to pick up and play. 90s models still had good quality. Could find one probably for <$500.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, if I want to get a bass so I can learn to start playing it and recording some stuff I write instead of using VSTs, should I probably go 4 or 5 string? I do mostly metal, and a lot of people say 5 string for metal, but the thing is everything i write is C standard at the lowest, or D standard at the highest and I play 6 string guitar. You guys think it's better to just go with a 4 and tune it down? Also what's the normal scale length I should look for for that range?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

If you are going to down tune or go 5 string I recommend a full 34 or 35" scale for sure. I personally prefer having a 5 string but I kind of find alternate tunings difficult to adjust to So i never really bother with them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Decided on the Kiloton and I got it today. It's pretty and I love the satin finish of the black frost color which unfortunately doesn't show well in my picture. Don't exactly have the best lighting. Went through Bassbuzz's setup tutorial and seems like it's pretty much ready to go. Dunno if the seller already did the hard work before shipping it out. Sounds decent enough through Guitar Rig at least.

If there's a better resource for doing setup, let me know. I don't mind redoing stuff to get it done right.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
hot bass

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, if I want to get a bass so I can learn to start playing it and recording some stuff I write instead of using VSTs, should I probably go 4 or 5 string? I do mostly metal, and a lot of people say 5 string for metal, but the thing is everything i write is C standard at the lowest, or D standard at the highest and I play 6 string guitar. You guys think it's better to just go with a 4 and tune it down? Also what's the normal scale length I should look for for that range?

The main argument against a 5 string is getting used to muting yet another string, other than weight/mass/feel. That said I don't do metal bass much so I don't have 1st hand experience but a friend has two 4 strings instead of one 5. One in BEAD and the other in E standard. I think one BEAD bass would probably be enough for your stuff buuuuuuut I also don't know much about the metal you like and it's bassists.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I like the Fodera and Dingwall setup playlists on YouTube, those are my usual recommendations. Fodera is longer and more in depth, Dingwall the inverse.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm in a similar position and have a couple stupid questions. I've been pounding 3-finger quarter note rolls into muscle memory for my acoustic guitar by fingering along to metal basslines at work for a long while, and now I want to pick up bass because it seems like it would be fun. Does fingerpicking guitar translate at all over to bass? Also I live in an apartment so I pretty much have to be plugged into headphones all the time. Is there an easy way to do this where I can feed in some music to play along with?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Zoom B1 Four. Aux in, headphone out, amp/cab sims, basic FX, drum loops. I got mine off Reverb for something like $60. Or just get a basic mixer with a Hi-Z input.

There is also a FLAMMA headphone amp specifically for bass, which I don't think existed when I was looking around. I did look at the NUX headphone amp, which seemed nice but was guitar-oriented like most of the others (like the Fender Mustang Micro). Not that you couldn't use those for bass, but why pay for a bunch of features you won't use?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I'm in a similar position and have a couple stupid questions. I've been pounding 3-finger quarter note rolls into muscle memory for my acoustic guitar by fingering along to metal basslines at work for a long while, and now I want to pick up bass because it seems like it would be fun. Does fingerpicking guitar translate at all over to bass? Also I live in an apartment so I pretty much have to be plugged into headphones all the time. Is there an easy way to do this where I can feed in some music to play along with?

i went from playing "bass" on an acoustic guitar before i got my first electric bass. i definitely thought it would help me a lot more than it did, because at least for me there are differences that makes it really disorienting. i'm sure it eased the transition from guitar to bass a little bit, but it really felt quite foreign and i definitely sucked when i started. but don't let that stop you! i've had a ton of fun learning bass these past few years, and i bet you will too :)

as for headphones, there are some different solutions. the one i'm most familiar with is a usb audio interface that goes into your pc. something like the scarlett 2i2 or scarlett solo i think its called is good, though there are probably cheaper ones that work fine. there are also pedals you can buy that let you plug headphones in and maybe some sort of aux to let you pipe music through too. there's these tiny battery driven headphone bass amps like the vox amplug which are neat, but i'm not sure if you can pass your own music through them

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I went with the audio interface personally. It was just more convenient than outright getting an amp now. I picked up an Arturia Minifuse 2 since it came with Guitar Rig 6 LE which is enough for my novice self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kevin Bacon posted:

something like the scarlett 2i2 or scarlett solo i think its called is good, though there are probably cheaper ones that work fine.

I have a Scarlett 2i2 and it's fantastic. After that all you need is a DAW (Cakewalk is free and fantastic) and some amp sims (Ignite's SHB-1 and Audio Assault's Bass Grinder Free would probably be good for OP as a metal fan) and you're good to go.

I don't even play through my actual amp anymore if I'm going to be using headphones, the DAW/Sim combo is way more fun for bedroom playing.